JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 12. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

• 2 months later...
Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

The Psalms thus close. But praise shall never end. Let praise be the constant ecstasy of all our powers and all our time. Eternity will prolong, but never end the strain.

( Psalm 150 : 1 ) " Praise the Lord. Praise God in His sanctuary; praise Him in the firmament of His power."

Exhortation still stirs up praise. Worthy, indeed, is the Lord to be praised throughout the universe. Let His praise be heard in the public service of His house, where His saints assemble to magnify His name. Let it swell in the highest heavens, where angelic hosts and all the redeemed lift up their joyful voices in adoring strains. When spiritual service takes its enlightening place, let every faculty make our hallelujahs sweet and loud. They exceed all admiration. Redemption causes love to overflow in wonder. It excites our loudest shouts.

( Verse 6 ) " Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord."

Fitting is the grand conclusion of this book of hymns and odes and spiritual songs. Let us obey the just command. Every breath is God's free gift. Let every breath fly upward on the wings of adoration. But all our efforts can scarcely reach the outlines of due praise. May the Lord inspire us more and more!! May we thus prepare to praise Him better when we cast our crowns before His throne. Praise the Lord. Amen and Amen.

These exercise's have inspired me to go deeper in worship. They have given me a hunger to come into the presence of the Almighty in a more personal way, to know Him more intimately with a longing as I have never felt before. Praise be to His name. Amen. Christine ( Tabatha )

• 2 weeks later...

I memorized Ps. 100 some time ago & after a Bible study & prayer time early in the a.m. I take a walk & begin with Ps. 100. Make a joyful noise all ye lands--I recount from my prayers earlier of those lands/countries I have prayed for. The rest of the Ps. I use as an encouragement to myself to make myself available to God--to serve Him that day, to come before Him with gladness of heart & with singing & thanksgiving--no matter my situation--remembering He & His Word are eternal. Praise Him!!

Psalm 34 Read and meditate :rolleyes:

David's prayers helped to silence his fears; many besides him have looked unto the Lord by faith and prayer, and it has wonderfully revived and comforted them. When we look to the world, we are perplexed, and at a loss. But looking to Christ, we have everything we need because He is our salvation.

I will praise him in all my days for he is worthy. In him I can hide he is my strength He is my refuge and strength.

I like to mediate on and just think about the psalms of praise and thanksgiving. I especially try to take time to meditate and dwell on psalm 100:1-2.

Shout for joy to the Lord,all the earth.

Worship the Lord with gladness,

come before Him with joyful songs.

• 3 weeks later...

When I thing of giving thanks to my God because of His Faithfulness, it is great to me. God alone is worthy of being worshiped. I do not know what others attitudes are toward worship? Do they willingly and joyfully come into presence, or just are going the motions, reluctantly going to Church? To me Psalm 100 tells me to remember God

• 4 months later...

I chose to meditate on Psalms 34 and verse 5 from Psalm 100.

We have been studying the life of David in bible study. All of the Psalms combined with his life have given me a clearer understanding and made the bible come alive for me as never before. I now try to relate what was happening in David's life when he wrote each psalm and its helped me to compare the same situations in my life and have brought me closer to God and created in me a not only a hunger for a deeper relationship, but has caused me to study and strive harder to have the type of relationship with God that David had.

• 1 year later...

Lord my God, help me to extol (exalt) You at all times for Your deliverances all through history and for us here today; let my soul always boast in You, Lord Jesus, and never in myself or my own accomplishments; and all of us will glorify the LORD together with other Christian believers. Help me to always seek Your face, Lord Jesus, and trust in Your answer to all my fears; to have a radiant face towards You, and never to be covered again with shame or condemnation. Lord, I desire to taste Your salvation and see that You are perfectly good and righteous; and help me to always take refuge in You, Lord Jesus, and to fear (or reverence) You in all that I do and say; and help me to keep my tongue from evil things and my lips from telling lies, just because it may be

• 1 month later...

In these psalms, Psalm 34 is the one that really hits home. I can think of all the things that God has brought me through lately, and it is wonderful to know that He was right there with me. I have tasted of the Lord to see that He is good. He has taught me to lean on Him totally for everything, He has taught me to trust Him in a way I never dreamed possible. I rest in my refuge.

• 4 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms

Exercise - I will continually learn and discipline myself to praise Him daily, as the Lord brings life's circumstances and situations into my path. Also, I just taught this Study 12 in my adult SS class, singing many hymns, songs, and choruses, as we worked our way through this study. It was a real joy to teach this study.

• 7 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Ilove all the psalms that we have studies it help me to realize tht God have them there to help us in time of test and goingnthrought different things that we have to depend on god words to help and bring us through those times.

• 3 weeks later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

There no one psalms that I love because all of them are so special to know It let us know that when are together in God house we are to praise him. When we are not in his house we are to praise him. going through we are to lift up holy hands and praise him. In all we do we are to give our heavenly father all the praise that is in our hearts and with all our soul.

Meditating on psalms 34. This study has been so wonderful. I had an opportunity to teach our adult Sunday school class, it was on 7 Hebrew words for praise. This study was very helpful. The Lord dwelt in the midst of us.

• 3 months later...

Exercise.

For one of the psalms in this lesson - or another psalm with a similar theme - do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Taken from Psalm 100:5:

For the Lord is good

• 2 weeks later...

I sang Psalm 100. "Make a joyful noise to the Lord all ye lands. Serve the lord with gladness. Come before His presence with thanksgiving in your heart. Serve the Lord with gladness." I want to serve the Lord gladly in everything that I do.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I wrote out my own Psalm of Thanksgiving today to God. It meant more that way. 

My Psalm of Thanks to the Lord

Lord I cried to you in my distress

And You answered me O Lord

Now here I am Lord, My God

You have done something great

That I can't contain it

For to hide it wouldn't be right 

For You are my God

And are higher than I

And far mightier than me

Thank You for Your mercy

And Your unending favor

For You have taken me 

And shown to me Your loving-kindness

How can I thank you enough?

Thank You for Your works 

And Your Glorious Name

By Jennifer Strnad

Here is a Psalm that I wrote myself

You, Oh Lord are my safety

My hiding place and refuge

I can trust in you

You hold me up

My shelter and defense

I rest in you

In you I am secure

When storms rage 

And winds toss me

Waters swirl around me

Then you are my Rock

You thunder and chase away

All my enemies

Storms cease, winds still

All the earth is silent

While you whisper my name

Calm my anxious heart 

Ease all my fears

Chase away my cares

My Lord, I call on you

Forgive me, Oh God

I have forsaken you

I have forgotten 

The times you came 

Rescued and delivered me

Held me in your arms

And comforted me

Lord, God Almighty

You are powerful!

You are mighty!

You are great!

Break my strongholds

That keeps you from me

Speak to me I pray

I want to hear you again

Hear your voice

I have been away

But now I have returned

Returned to my Savior

Redeemer and deliverer

God of heaven and earth

Awesome, you are holy

Pure and righteous

Who am I before you?

But a poor and lost sinner

A wandering vagabond

Who has come home

Home to my Father

You waited for me

You never gave up

You knew I'd return

For you have my soul

You have my heart

Only with you, I am safe

Only with you, I am whole

My heart cries out

My soul longs for you

My Redeemer, kinsman

I am nothing without you

The price was paid

On the bloody cross

Your loss was my gain

Through you I am free

Jehovah, my creator

Jehovah, my provider

Jehovah, my banner

Jehovah, my healer!

You are my everything

\You are all in all

My Lord and my guide

My shepherd and friend

My captain and leader

Lord of the angel armies

Riding on a white horse

You are my conqueror!

Lamb of God, my high priest

King of kings

You are magnificent

You are glorious

Burn in my heart

Burn out impurities 

Burn out the dross

Refine me, oh Lord

Purify and cleanse

Rule me, Oh Master

Squash any rebellion

Deliver me I pray

From every distraction

Casting all on you

Every anxiety and trouble

Every thought and worry

I fall down before you

In total submission

In utter defeat

I cling to you

I am nothing without you

I can do nothing

You have the power

You are my strength

Deliver me I pray

I'm on my knees

I am dependent on you

Oh God, I need you!

I surrender my will

I lay all at your feet

My dreams and plans

alpha, Omega, first and last

You are first in my life

Cause me to praise you

Even in my trials

Even in my troubles

Through the storms

Amidst pain and sorrow

Reign in my heart

I lift you up

I magnify you

I extol you

I honor you

I praise your name

Glory! Glory Hallejuhah!

Mighty Prine of Peace

Lord of Lords!

Come into my heart

Into every area

Even the secret places

I long to be free

Free to be used

Free to glorify you

Free to serve

Free to testify

Oh, to have a heart

That follows you

A heart like David's

Empty of everything

Except for, love for you

Others before me

Let this be my cry

Oh how I need you

And long for you

Pant after you

Desire you, Lord.

• 11 months later...

Psalm 100

Shout in jubilation to the Lord, O ye nations!

Worship the Lord in celebration; come before Him with joyous songs

Know that the Lord is our Maker, we belong to Him, the sheep of His pasture

Let there be thanksgiving as you enter His courts, and let there be praise

Praise and thanksgiving in abundance to Him as we enter His presence

For the Lord is good; His love endures forever

His faithfulness goes on from generation to generation

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Lesson 12. Exercises