JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3. The Name Jesus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus? Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

In these times naming carried a lot more power than it would nowadays, that's why several name changes happened I guess - like Jacob became Israel, Saul became Paul to demonstrate transformed natures...

In this case the name by definition determines the exact and deliberate purpose of the individual... the fact that the prophesies had promised a messiah to save the people from their sins and an angel speaks to both Mary and Joseph telling them to call the Holy Child Jesus is absolute proof of the nature and purpose of the baby.

To tell them both independently may be for proof, for emphasis but also, although they were called for a joint purpose, to nurture, protect and bring to maturity the expected Son of God, they were also called as individuals, each role was vital to the overall outcome... it was equally important that Joseph played his part as willingly as Mary... to be given instructions by an angel would certainly ensure compliance, surrender, service no matter what.

The name means "Yahweh saves". Jesus had the perfect name for what His mission on earth entailed.

The angel gave the parents the name seperately so that there would be no question about what God wanted the child to be called.

in verse 17 we are introduced to the Christ meaning the anointed one in verse 21 jesus the name chosen for this baby concieved under such extraordinary means is explained as the one who would s ave his people from their sin jesus means the LORD saves verse 23 scripture says His birth would fulfill what was said through the prophet (isaiah7:14) immanuel means God with us.i think the name jesus was given to both mary and joseph so they would understand its importance and to confirm to joseph that this was trully as God had decided and made known to him through the angel and that mary indeed was carrying a child unlike all others concieved of GOD's own spirit

in verse 17 we are introduced to the Christ meaning the anointed one in verse 21 jesus the name chosen for this baby concieved under such extraordinary means is explained as the one who would s ave his people from their sin jesus means the LORD saves verse 23 scripture says His birth would fulfill what was said through the prophet (isaiah7:14) immanuel means God with us.i think the name jesus was given to both mary and joseph so they would understand its importance and to confirm to joseph that this was trully as God had decided and made known to him through the angel and that mary indeed was carrying a child unlike all others concieved of GOD's own spirit

I don't know about Jesus' day, but as a mother of four, I was pretty picky about choosing names. After our second child was born, I told my husband that I knew I had been selfish and that he could name this third child. Our baby was several months old before I found out he had been named for his father's beloved childhood horse! Needless to say, I named our fourth! So--I definitely feel like God was making sure that there was to be no conflict in naming His Son. Remember, too, that Zecheriah had been told to name his and Elizabeth's child John--and what a surprise that was to everyone who came to John's ritual circumcision. There was significance in a name back then, and God had picked out both names with care.

Jesus or Yeshua means "Yahweh saves" indicating that God the Father had now appointed the time for Him to provide for our redemption, to save us from our sin.

Adonai always confirms His word. In Deut 17:6, 19:15 and Matt 18:16 He commands that all such revelations be established by two or three witnesses. Mary and Joseph are two, thus confirming that it was God who named the baby Jesus.

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus? Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

The significance of God's insistence that the baby should be named Jesus is that Jesus means "Yahweh Saves" because he would save his people from their sins. The name indicated Jesus' mission on this planet, in this world. Both Mary and Joseph were given the name independently by the angel so neither would ever forget who he was. Yahweh's salvation embodied in human form.

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus? Why

do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and

Joseph independently?

Jesus a Greek form of the Hebrew name Joshua, was a common meaning

The name means that He was coming to save the Human race from sins. It means saviour. The Angel gave the name to both Mary and Joseph separatly to stress the importance of giving the name. No other name was going to be acceptable except that given by the Angel.

Names had great significance, which is why God changed some names: Abram (honored father) to Abraham (father of many nations) or Jacob (usurper) to Israel (one who wrestles with God)....Simon to Peter, etc. Jesus' name was of even greater significance because His role in salvation history was pivotal. By naming His Son "Yahweh saves," God makes it clear that His own power is behind the kind of salvation Jesus brought, though the type of salvation wasn't fully revealed until Jesus' resurrection. I wonder, if God had sent a military leader instead, to effect a political overthrow, would he have chosen a name that was more militant in nature??

I think that part of the reason God revealed the name to both may have been a sign or confirmation to each other that they were getting the same message & "on the same page." Also, it was just so important, God needed them to be in agreement when it came time to make it official.

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus?

"Jesus" is the Greek word for "Yeshua." Yeshua never heard this name "Jesus," His name given in Hebrew was "Yeshua" meaning - Saviour, to save. In Hebrew, Yeshua is the same as Joshua.

Yeshua came to SAVE HIS PEOPLE FROM THEIR SINS. The Jews were called the people of God because Father God, Yaweh, made an everlasting covenant with them, but, "Thank you Father, for The Father sent His Son also to be a "light to the Gentiles."

The nation Israel is God's firstborn, called His son. (Ex. 4:22) BUT, Yeshua came that we Gentiles could be adopted into the Family of God (John 1:12-14) The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

"YES, THERE IS SO MUCH TO BE SAID ABOUT THAT NAME - YESHUA, AS I KNOW HIM, JESUS, MY SAVIOUR."

Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

I believe the reason Mary and Joseph were given this name INDEPENDENTLY by the angel was - confirmation of who "Jesus" is, yes! He is "salvation" for the people, sent by Yahweh, to fulfill the scriptures, Hope for the people of God. Unity was also important, especially at this time in their life.

A name in Bible time had great meaning. They believed there was a connection between the person and the name it identified the person to be. It would represent the nature of the person.

The parents choosing a name for their baby, would reflect the circumstances of the child's birth, their own feelings, and their gratitude to God. It was important the child be named "Yeshua" and for Mary and Joseph to come to understand fully that this child was from God, and their agreement on this name, it spoke of their "faith" in God and the Son they would have.

Jesus' name means Yahweh or to Save, the one whose destiny is to save his people from the power of sins. The name represents the mission.

It was given to both his parents independently so that they would both know the significance of his name and the importance of his mission. The angel wanted to make sure they both understood that Jesus' mission would be to save his people from the power of sin and that he was not going to fight wars because his mission was not political or military his destiny wasn't to overthrow the Roman Kingdom oppressors or to reinstate the Jewish kingdom. The primary mission was to overthrow the power of sin and to save his people from the power of sin.

The name Jesus was so important. It made clear that he was the SAVIOR. Telling Mary and Joseph at different times makes a point of its extreme importance. To stand by tradition was not allowed here.

It is first told to Mary because she is the one who must carry this child to term knowing that this name will be greater than all others. At the name of Jesus, all knees shall bow. Joseph is a man who would find it difficult to believe that Mary understood everything correctly.When the angel restated the name of Jesus, there is absolutely no way that Mary had misunderstood.

IT IS VITAL that the name be Jesus.

The significance of the name Jesus is in it's meaning; YAHWEH saves. Jesus was born to save/ deliver mankind from sin.

The angel gave the name to both Mary and Joseph independently so that there would be no mistaking what God intended for the child to be named; because the name "Jesus" verified the mission that this child would carry out and also verified that He was God manifested in the flesh.

I believe another reason that they were told independently is so that when they gave witness to the visitation of the angel, there could be no accusation of the 2 of them 'collaborating' on a story to tell everyone.

In these times naming carried a lot more power than it would nowadays, that's why several name changes happened I guess - like Jacob became Israel, Saul became Paul to demonstrate transformed natures...

In this case the name by definition determines the exact and deliberate purpose of the individual... the fact that the prophesies had promised a messiah to save the people from their sins and an angel speaks to both Mary and Joseph telling them to call the Holy Child Jesus is absolute proof of the nature and purpose of the baby.

To tell them both independently may be for proof, for emphasis but also, although they were called for a joint purpose, to nurture, protect and bring to maturity the expected Son of God, they were also called as individuals, each role was vital to the overall outcome... it was equally important that Joseph played his part as willingly as Mary... to be given instructions by an angel would certainly ensure compliance, surrender, service no matter what.

:rolleyes:Q3. (Matthew 1:21)

1. What is the significance of the name Jesus?

The significance of God's insistence that he be named Jesus is not to honor a national hero, but because of the meaning of the name: "Yahweh saves."

2. Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph

independently?

Jesus' name from the time he was a baby was to indicate his mission. Both Mary and Joseph were given this name by the angel so neither would ever forget who he was -- Yahweh's salvation embodied in human form. As a little baby, "Yahweh saves" might have been born and raised in the humblest of circumstances, but that never diminished who he was. His destiny was to save. The Greek verb sōzō means "to preserve or rescue from natural dangers and afflictions, save, keep from harm, preserve, rescue," here, "to save/preserve from eternal death, bring Messianic salvation."

It is that " He Saves". Jesus was born to die. His mission was to save HIS people from sin.

So they both would have the word from the lips of God Himself,also to erase any doubt that Joseph might have had of an adulteress affair. To affirm that it was from The Holy Spirit. With Joseph accepting this, he is acknowledging ancestral evidence into it. By naming Him meant that he adopted Him and that He was his own son and legal father.

The significance in the name Jesus was and is still in its meaning "Yahweh saves". This is significant because it sums up the whole reason for Him to become flesh - because He will save His people from their sins.

I think that both Mary and Joseph were given the name indepdendently for a number of reasons:

- confirmation - so that there was no doubt this was what God wanted for His child

- So they didn't forget it by the time the baby was born

- for Joseph to name the baby specifically and therefore adopt Him as his own