JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Settling before Getting to 'Court'

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

Broken relationships can hinder our relationship with God. If we have a problem or grievance with a friend or believer, we should resolve the problem as soon as possible . We are hypocrites if we claim to love God while we hate others. Our attitudes toward others reflect our relationship with God ( 1 John 4; 20 )

In Jesus' day, someone who couldn't pay a debt was thrown into prison until the debt was paid. Unless someone came to pay the debt for the prisoner, he or she would probably die there. It is practical advice to resolve our differences with our enemies before their anger causes more trouble

( Proverbs 25: 8-10). You may not get into a disagreement that takes you to court,But even small conflicts mend more easily if you try to make peace right away . In a broader sense. These verses advise us to get things right with our brothers and sisters before we have to stand before God.

What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court?

Again, I like the commentary in the New Life Application Bible Living Translation:

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court? Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

The point Jesus is telling us is to try with all of your might to settle your differences carmly before you try going before a judge to get the matter settle on your behalf. Sometimes you both lose. Settling coming together in agreement on one accord; reconciliation. This is what a Christian should do if they are a child of God, see peace between your brothers and sisters.

The point is, do not let much time go by before you reconcile with your brothers & sisters. When judgement day comes you will be judged for those things you didn't take care of before.

Settling is to make right those things that are not right. It means sometimes apologizing, asking for forgivenss, anything to bring peace & harmony back to the relationship.

We should settle because God commands us to. As much as lies in us, we are to make peace with our brothers & sisters.

The point of the parable is to reconcile quickly with those one has wronged and not to put it off to a future time. To settle such an account is to work out an agreement or settlement with the offended party. The reason for working it out in this manner is that if it comes to where the situation is settled by

1. If you quickly settle any disputes, you won't have to settle it in court. This only brings harsh feelings and may bring about a financial burden to the person and then the matter will never be forgiven.

2. We are supposed to settle the matter with your accuser.

3. Settling entails going to your adversary humbly and asking them for forgiveness and attempting to resolve the problems together without going to court.

4. If we are truly trying to live like Christ, we should have an understanding heart and it would never get as far as the court. We should do all we can to resolve any issues by talking them over and doing whatever will make each person happy..We should pray before we even go to the person to discuss the matter. The Word tells us to turn the other cheek, so if we practice this, we shouldn't have a problem, and also if we love each other like we say we do.

What a wonderful opportunity we have to work things out. To examine our hearts at the end of the day and see what it is that we owe. Are we cheating people out of time, love, truth etc ....To ask Father into the situation to reveal our situation and to have the opportunity of reconciling and settling affairs before we move into the spirtual jurisdiction.

We can deal with the real issues at source rather than (like King David) letting a second glance bring him into total alienation from God.

There are two ways to look at this parable. The first one is obvious the second is a little more complicated. Because everyone else has chosen the obvious I will choose the second.

If Jesus is speaking of the Holy Spirit (The one sent to convict the world of sin first and later to become our Counselor and constant companion) we must confess our sins and repent before we reach the judgement seat. When we settle up before getting to court, the Holy Spirit is no longer our adversary but our guide to righteous behavior. Repentance turns our adversary, our foe into a friend and a counselor.

John 14:23Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25 "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (niv)

Darrell

The point here is that we are to get things right with our brothers and sisters before we have to stand before God

1) The point is to seek quick resolution out of motive of reconciliation....not wait until forced to do so.

2) We are to settle with the one we have wounded, injured, owe a "debt" of some kind....our accuser, or adversary.

3)Settling, involves conviction, repentance, restitution....seeking forgiveness...for harmonious relationship to be restored.

4) Scripture teaches that we are to "Owe no man anything, except the debt of love"...."Love does no wrong to one's neighbor, (it never hurts anybody) therefore love meets all the requirements and is the fulfilling of the law." Rom. 13:8, 10. Jesus was teaching the spirit of the law again in this parable, the Law of Love.

I believe to settle out of court, with God's guidance, keeps us under God's control and not the rulings of the courts and all of the negative ramifications that go with court decision. In other words be a "self-starter" when reconciliation is needed, to keep oneself out of trouble with the courts and with God. We need to settle with ourselves and our fellowman first and quickly so that we can make it right now, before we have to stand before God on these unresolved issues.

The Lord commands that whenever possible we are to live in peace with all of mankind. Settling a matter before it gets to Shappat (Hebrew: Judge) means that we have followed this order. It also means that we have demonstrated the second great command to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Settling a matter requires meekness and humility.

We should settle to be in shalom in our spirits, the offended party's spirit and, most of all, the Holy Spirit.

I think he is pointing out that we need to settle our differences as quick as possible so o harm will happen to anyoen.I think he is talkign about our sins against God- we need to ask forgiveness or we will stand in judgement with GOD on our"judgement day". Whe you don't ask for forgiveness you turn into a unhappey person and can not rejoice in the feeling of forgiveness and the love of GOD.

If the court has to decide the matter, you will be thrown into debtor's prison and won't get out until every last cent is paid. We are supposed to settle with our accuser. Settling means owe the money that is supposed to be collected. To see that we don't have harsh punishment from man or God.

Settling out of court means that their is no mediator, or judge who gets final say. To settle out of court the two parties must agree on the settlement and allow it to please both of them.

We are suppose to settle with anyone that we sin against, we must seek forgiveness for our sin and be willing to forgive those who sin against us or the Father will not forgive us.

Settleing entail seeking and agreeable outcome to a problem cause by one of two parties against the other.

We must settle because Jesus said that for our worship to be effective wemust not hold anything against another or allow a sin we commit against them to go unresolved. We must seek their forgiveness and then the Father can forgive our sin through the pardon of the blood of Christ.

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26)

:rolleyes:

What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court?

Jesus is teaching his hearers to reconcile quickly with those they have wronged and not to put it off. The implication is that if they wait for God to settle the matter at his bar of justice, that judgment will exacting and harsh punishment. <_<

Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable?

Jesus is teaching his hearers to reconcile quickly with those they have wronged ;)

What does "settling" entail? What are the reasons that we should settle?

Reconcile quickly with those they have wronged and not to put it off.

The implication is that if they wait for God to settle the matter at his bar of justice, that judgment will exacting and harsh punishment. :huh:

What this parable from Jesus is telling us is that we should settle our debts with our accuser, be it something we owe to someone or the debt of sin with repentence so we are not taken into court and found blameless for our crimes. This way it makes it right before our accuser and before God resulting in peace.

We are brothers and sisters in Christ and the world is watching us very carefully. We should be very different and obey God in handling our issues. Settling entail coming to an agreement that is suitable for both parties and not holding grudges.

I believe the point is that the bar of justice before our heavenly father will bring exacting judgement and harsh punishment, therefore I should not wait another moment to face it. Rather I should hurry to reconcile with the person(s) I have wronged.

Our adversary, the person I have wronged.

Settling entails acting quickly (highest priority), doing so face to face, and doing so before we face the judge. Why? because 1) it brings reconciliation with our adversary, 2) we are working on making our interior right, 3) it follows the spirt of the Law - Be reconciled to your brother.

The point of settling out of court is to avoid being turned over to the judge. A judge is not involved in the dispute and can see both sides of an issue. He can discern better what is happening between two parties. He then judges and gives out punishment for the one in the wrong. The one who broke the law. I know the law of Christ is to love God and love one another. Jesus was saying to make sure to do this in disputes. We are to leave everything and try to reconcile with whom ever we have a dispute with. Interesting in my Bible the term is "opponent." An opponent is one working against you. Sometimes we don't even know why they work against us. Good open communication can help resolve this, and hopefully everything is resolved if the agreement is to love and forgive each other, but if another won't listen or insists on continuing in it then we can take them to God and ask for help. Not to condemn or ask for anything bad for them, but because it can get unbearable and sometimes it can even become persecuting. I believe God deals with these things for me and since He knows each heart and struggle I know He can deal correctly with them. I "present my case." I still pray for them because I want to fulfill my end of loving them. So if there isn't a willingness on another's part, then I take it to God. He judges rightly. I forgive in my own heart and move on.

If I'm in the wrong , God shows me and I try to correct what I do or did. I'm happy of that, because I don't want to face the judge as an unrepentant sinner in the coming judgement by God.

Settling is being done with it. Like being in a scuffle and the dust rises up all around, but when the scuffling stops the dust settles. It goes back to normal and as it should be. Sometimes there won't be any agreement but to continue to love each other and respect each other. Sometimes we have to go back to normal with our own lives knowing we forgave or that we are forgiven and leave the other to their lives. We should always stay open though. You never know when the reconciliation will come!

To avoid harsh penalty we need to settle with our adversary. We settle with those whom we have wronged us. It is more costly to go to court whereas if a schedule of payment is made and adhered to, can save costly penalties and harsh judgments. That is why we have Civil & Moral Laws, to keep us in tune with the laws of the land.

Q4. (Matthew 5:25-26) What is the point of Jesus' parable of settling out of court?

Do what you must to make things right, swallow your pride or whatever is hindering you from doing the right thing.

Who are we supposed to settle with, according to this parable? Our adversary, our enemy.

What does "settling" entail?

Avoid the problem before it happens, when it does happen, don't let the problem get out of hand, becoming a huge problem, settle it, owe up to the problem.

What are the reasons that we should settle?

Things could be a lot worse if the person you wronged takes you to court. God wants us to be a light to the world, when we make mistakes, owe up to it, be that light - if you don't, your enemy will win and you will have to make it right, and the cost is greater. I would say- that is a good reason, keep the light on.

We should settle out of court because in court the punishment will become harsh. Once again it is about reconciliation between men. We often put off the settling of our difference because it hurts - but then the gap widens and it becomes harder to rectify - if we settle quickly then there isn't the wide gap to fill.

According to this parable we are to settle with our debtors - anyone we have wronged.

Settling entails the reconciliation between men.

We should settle because the judgement from God will be harsh, God has called us to REPENT and believe, if we ong for that closeness with the LOrd we need to stop those things that put up the walls between us and God.