JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disciples' Reaction to Jesus' Teaching

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

I believe they reacted negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce because they probabaly were already practicing it., and I believe they understood clearly. It is very clear through out the bible the reason for Moses's law. It was because of the hardness of their hearts. In Gen. 2: 24 God made it quite clear what was to be between Man and woman.

The law of Moses allowing divorce for the hardness of men's hearts. and the law of Christ forbidding it, intimate, that Christians being under a dispensation of love and liberty, tenderness of heart may justly be expected among them, that they will not be hard-hearted, like the Jews, for God has called us to peace. There will be no occasion for divorces, If we forbear one another and forgive one another, in love, as those that are, and hope to be forgiven, and have found God not forward to put us away ( Isa. 50:1 ). No need of divorces , if husband, and they live together as heirs of the grace of life: and these are the laws of Christ, such as we find not in all the law of Moses.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Because they hadn

The disciples reacted strongly because they saw that marriage was very hard and that there was no "escape hatch!"

They may have misunderstood it, or were not taught the original teachings on marriage--they had become accustomed to men at that time being able to get out of a marriage easily.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

The disciples did not understand the way Jesus was explaining it to them. Jesus replied to them in verse 11, that marriage it not for everyone. Jesus even gave His disciples 3 examples in verse 12 why marriage is not for everyone.

They may have misunderstood but I can see where they may have been of the same attitude as the rest of the people wanting that escape hatch. I would think that they may well have had the same hardness of heart.

I don't believe Jesus' disciples misunderstood what Jesus was saying, but more to the point, over simplified it. In saying what Jesus did, I believe He was signifying the seriousness of the nature of the relationship between a man and a woman as designed by God. The Disciples over simplified Jesus message in that in order to keep from doing what God did not intend, one would keep away from it all together. I don't believe that this is what God had intended in the first place.

The disciples reaction was because they were Jews and still under the law not having received the Holy Spirit. Secondly, they didn't believe that men could restrain themselves from the commands regarding adultery that Jesus issued.

Q4. (Matthew 19:10) Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? -- Did they misunderstand it?

A disciple is one who wants to learn, the disciples are asking the Master a good question, is it better not to get married? As we have already seen, the Jewish leaders had different teachings on adultery, on marriage, etc.

Jesus is teaching God's truth, it is understood through spiritual ears. Do we want to hear the answer, to learn the truth of what God desires for us, as the disciples did? :huh:

1) They heard what He said, but couldn't accept that there was no escape route. They didn't misunderstand, but didn't like what they heard. They were still steeped in the tradional teaching on marriage and divorce prevalent in their day and accepted that, making Jesus' teaching of God's original intent a stumbling stone to them.

1. I think that some of the disciples reacted so negatively because they were probably guilty themselves regarding divorce. I'm sure that they understand, but this would have been hard for someone to do when this was the normal practice during that day. In those days, the men were in charge and did whatever they felt like doing. It's just like today. If you marry and get tired of your wife or husband, just divorce them, but this is not God's plan.

Jesus often spoke in parables and/or statements that were not easily understood. I think his disciples had some trouble understanding Jesus' meaning and possibly had no choice but to take a literal viewpoint. This would cause them to ask many questions. Yes. I think the disciples had as much trouble totally understanding Jesus' words on marriage and divorce as we do to-day.

The disciples were a clear example of why Moses had to bring about the certificate of divorce in the first place, their hearts were hardened and they liked the law because it benefited their cause. The right thing doesn't come easy and God's intention is that a man and woman unite and become one forever allowing no one to undo this union.

But their hearts were hardened. Instead of understanding what God's intentions were on marriage from the beginning they wanted a exit from whatever they desired or didn't desire in a marriage. Their hearts were hardened with self-centeredness, selfishness, or self absorption, etc..... The only misunderstanding was why was Jesus being so strict and Moses was so lenient to their cause of divorce. They didn't understand what God's intentions were from the beginning .

Q4. (Matthew 19:10)

Why do you think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to his teaching on marriage and divorce? Did they misunderstand it?

I believe the disciples did misunderstand Jesus

I don’t think that they misunderstood it as much as not accepting this teaching in its fullest extent in that marriage is very hard for any couple to be together and it may be much easier for one to be unmarried before the Lord then to try to stay married together. I don’t accept Dr. Wilson’s teaching above that keeps stating that there is not any “escape clause” in Jesus’ teaching that does not allow for divorce and remarriage because that’s not in reading the whole Word of God and applying it to your life. There are actually two reasons for divorce (and I believe they also allow for remarriage), adultery and desertion (1 Corinthians 7:15) and there are many biblical based churches who teach the same thing. I have been through both causes for divorce, and in the last one, I didn’t have a chance or choice to defend my marriage because of California State laws that grant divorces for any reason whatsoever so my ex-wife just up and walked out on me and got a “no-fault” divorce simply because she wanted to go back home to Washington State and I had to remain here to work for a few more years. Anyway, I believe that State laws add to this confusion about divorces and remarriage, and even though I believe from God’s Word that I can remarry another Christian woman, I am entirely fed up and through with marriage at my age and really think that I can do far more for the glory of God single then if I got married again which I’m not going to do ever again! But I still believe that the fullness of the Scriptures allows us to be divorced and remarried if we are the innocent partners of a marriage; and that is what the Apostles later found out to be the truth when the Apostle Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 7. Praise the Lord for His complete and worthy Word to us in it’s fullness and completeness. When we are studying God’s Word, we need to consider the whole Word of God and not just the parts that fit our particular doctrinal beliefs. Amen!

i think Jesus'disciples reacted so negetively to His teachings on marriage and divorce ,because they were on flesh.flesh is against the word of God.if they were on Spirit they were going to understand easily and they were going to accept it.

they misunderstood because they said if this is the situation between a husband and a wife,it is better not to marry.

i think Jesus'disciples reacted so negetively to His teachings on marriage and divorce ,because they were on flesh.flesh is against the word of God.if they were on Spirit they were going to understand easily and they were going to accept it.

they misunderstood because they said if this is the situation between a husband and a wife,it is better not to marry.

I think Jesus' disciples reacted so negatively to His teaching on marriage and divorce because it is clear and concise - but so different to the worldly practices.

I think that they understood the message that Jesus was teaching them about, the intent of marriage, but just didn't like it. It is something that would last and long time and perhaps they saw it has too hard and not achieveable.

I think Jesus' disciples reacted negatively because they understood the seriousness of his words - there is no escape even if the marriage is a disaster.

It is because when Jesus told them about the truth on marriage and divorce as God intended, they saw it was not easy to marry and then just divorce like that.

God intends marriage to be a lifetime commitment. When entering into marriage, people should never consider divorce an option for solving problems or a way out of a relationship that seems dead.