JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Divorce and Remarriage

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

Yes if you did not divorce for unfaithfulness, you ar an adultress. I suppose ask for forgiveness. to get back into God's will. :blink:

Here is a suggestion disciples against this law of Christ, ( Mat. 19:10); If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is better not to marry. It seems, the disciples themselves were loth to give up the liberty of divorce, thinking it a good expedient for preserving comfort in the married state; and therefore, like sullen children, if they have not what they would have, they will throw away what they have. If they may not be allowed to put away their wives when they please, they will have no wives at all; though, from the beginning, when no divorce was allowed, God said, it is not good for man to be alone, and blessed them, pronounced them blessed who were thus strictly joined together; yet, unless they may have liberty of divorce, they think it is good for a man not to marry.Corrupt nature is impatient of restraint, and would break Christ's bonds in sunder, and have a liberty for it's own lusts. It is foolish, peevish thing for men to abandon the comforts of this life, because of the crosses that are commonly woven in with them, as if we must need to go out of the world, because we have not every thing to our mind in the world; or must enter into no useful calling or condition, because it is made our duty to abide in it, No, whatever our condition is we must bring our minds to be thankful for its comforts, submissive to its crosses, and, as God has done, set the one over against the other, and make the best of that which is, ( Ecc 7:14 ). If the yoke of marriage may not be thrown off at pleasure, it does not follow that therefore we must not come under it; but therefore, when we do come under it, we must resolve to comport with it, by love, and meekness, and patience, which will make divorce the most unnecessary undesirable thing that can be!

No, the person who has divorced for any other reason is an adulter--but like other sin, it can be repented of/forgiven/lived out in God's will in the new marriage.

NO! Stay married & live in God's will! Yes! Ask for forgiveness/repent/lived in God's will in the new marriage!

Not if that person has asked for forgiveness from God. That person should divorce, repent and seek God for direction. Repent, for with God nothing is impossible.

I don't believe a person who has re-married after a divorce not caused by unfaithfulness lives in a state of perpetual adultry. As the text states, in the beginning adultry may have been comitted, but one is now married, and the same rules apply to the second marriage as the first. If one repents of the adultry, God will forgive the sin. God already knows of the Sin even before it's comitted, and has already forgiven it.

I for one certainly hope not with that being one of my many sins but in now way the worst as I see it. I like pastor suggested prayed that the Lord forgive my sin and grant forgiveness for any wrongs that I have committed against others.

No, I have found as pastor stated a loving caring devoted,wife in my second marriage and believe she is truly a blessing from God. I thank Him every day for the way she continues to love me in spite of myself, can only be a blessing from God.

I believe that it is like any other sin, we must first confess it as sin and then ask the Father to forgive that sin and seek to live a righteous life for Him afterwards.

Oh I have heard both sides of this question before and have studied the bible through and through and long ago I dismissed this issue. Not because I have been divorced and remarried but because of the God I serve. Jesus says, you break only one part of the rule and you are guilty of breaking all of the commandments. Oh I know there are some of you who have not sinned at all and therfore found not guilty of anything, unless you really take to heart what Jesus says in the verses prior.

Jesus also says that there is only one sin which is not forgiven and that is the denial of the Holy Spirt. You tell one lie are you a liar for life, steal one pen are you a thief for life, speak out in hatred against someone are your guilty of murder for life? Guilty yes and forgiven yes. How does this differ from marriage?

David commited all these acts and according to scripture God forgave his sins, are we seperate from this kind of forgivness because of the year we live in?

How many limitations can you put on the love of God who sent His only Son to die for sinners who don't know him?

Darrell

I don't see anything here about being lead by the Holy Spirit. Jesus lived at a very different point of time in the history of the world. A close examination of the Muslim countries would give us a better understanding of the view in which women were held when the Lord walked amongst us. I feel that God is love and as such responds to us in our current time. The Holy Spirit channels His thoughts about situations that we are going through and directs us. When we are obedient the resolution is satistfactory to the Lord and will have a postive result for the recipient as well.

We are in a time of internet arranged marriages, inter faith marriages, no marriages, hasty marriages and marriages for all the wrong reasons. My thoughts on Gods reactions to remarriage are not His. The only thing for me would be to pray and wait on Him, not to judge others.

It has been mentioned that there is an awareness of a lot of pain that has been suffered by many in their marriage experiences. I am one of them, and I apologize, but I am not comfortable answering any of these questions. The way I am dealing with my experiences here (with God), is on a much simpler basis than these questions.

1)NO!!! Any more than any other sin becomes a perpetual millstone around one's neck for life! The last time I checked, 1 John 1:9 covered this as it does all sin:"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." My Dad's first marriage ended in divorce, and he was excommunicated. For years he lived with that shame and rejection, though remarried and having 8 children. He never entered another church, because that would have been a mortal sin! Thanks be to God, when he was 79 years old, he accepted Christ as his savior, knew he was forgiven and died a year later.....but how tragic to live with that unbearable burden placed on him by "Pharisees" 60 years before he died. He drove us every Sunday to Mom's church and sat outside reading the paper, because he was so bound by "the law" his church laid upon him.

2)NO! That would be trying to "work" or "earn" forgiveness....to take care of the mistake/sin in our own strength/flesh. Confession of sin, and repentance restores the relationship with God. I read recently in the news of a young man who was rushed to the hospital after he cut off his "offending" hand, and nearly bled to death. How tragic and sad, to take that literally, instead of asking God to deliver him from whatever the sin was, for forgiveness and to be set free.

3)Restoration is always possible, and is what God desires for His children. Confession of sin, repentance, then receiving God's forgiveness, and forgiving one'self, and walking with Him in intimate fellowship, ( leaving the millstone on the side of the road )is what the Bible teaches. I love the verse in Micah 7:19 that says God casts all our sins into the deepest part of the sea, never to be remembered....Corrie Ten Boom, added: "And puts out a no fishing sign" Psalm 103:12 says "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.

Pastor Ralph, I appreciate your admonition to be kind to one another. Sheep can really bite! We left a church after a dear friend was refused the office of Deacon when nominated, because he'd been in an unfortunate marriage at 18 to give a baby a name. He became a dynamic, spirit filled Christian, years later, remarried, and had wonderful children, but this church wanted him to "Pay" for that particular sin for the rest of his life by shunning him from leadership. We were new believers at the time and didn't know much, but knew that was NOT GOD!

Years later, I was shunned from leadership in a Bible study program, because I had been divorced and remarried....though the divorce was over my husbands many adulterous affairs, and this all took place years before I was born again....I wasn't seeking to be in leadership, and stayed in the program because it's benefits far outweighed this silly rule....I knew that ALL of my past sins were under the blood of Jesus.

Sorry, but I have to add a P.S. to my answer, which I left out, and want to encourage anyone still struggling with this issue with this Word of comfort and reassurance:

"The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Savior (Who saves)! He rejoices over you with joy; He will rest in silent satisfaction and in His love He will be silent and make no mention of past sins or even recall them; He will exult over you with singing."

Cast off the burdens and walk in His freedom and forgiveness!!!!

This to me is an area that prayer and fastening is most necessary. Thank God we can come to us and ask for wisdom. I don't want to judge in this area and I couldn't possibly put a tick or cross on this subject. It is real and personal with God time.

If as Christians you sought God's intention in the marriage and knew he knitted you together then I feel that it is God orgained and it is in finding the solutions that we will encounter God and spouse in the journey of love and forgiveness and grace.

However so many other scenario's can develop seeking God is the only solution I can think of . :huh:

I am not a judge over what God will do or not do, and the answer to this question, like with any sin, is clear from Jesus on the intentions of God on Marriage, but He (God) is a Loving and Forgiving God and we must remember that:

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus

Through Repentance it is possible for a sin to be forgiven and it allows you, who have a sinful nature, who owe thanks to Jesus, the ability to get back into God's grace and to continue in his will.

1)NO!!! Any more than any other sin becomes a perpetual millstone around one's neck for life! The last time I checked, 1 John 1:9 covered this as it does all sin:"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." My Dad's first marriage ended in divorce, and he was excommunicated. For years he lived with that shame and rejection, though remarried and having 8 children. He never entered another church, because that would have been a mortal sin! Thanks be to God, when he was 79 years old, he accepted Christ as his savior, knew he was forgiven and died a year later.....but how tragic to live with that unbearable burden placed on him by "Pharisees" 60 years before he died. He drove us every Sunday to Mom's church and sat outside reading the paper, because he was so bound by "the law" his church laid upon him.

2)NO! That would be trying to "work" or "earn" forgiveness....to take care of the mistake/sin in our own strength/flesh. Confession of sin, and repentance restores the relationship with God. I read recently in the news of a young man who was rushed to the hospital after he cut off his "offending" hand, and nearly bled to death. How tragic and sad, to take that literally, instead of asking God to deliver him from whatever the sin was, for forgiveness and to be set free.

3)Restoration is always possible, and is what God desires for His children. Confession of sin, repentance, then receiving God's forgiveness, and forgiving one'self, and walking with Him in intimate fellowship, ( leaving the millstone on the side of the road )is what the Bible teaches. I love the verse in Micah 7:19 that says God casts all our sins into the deepest part of the sea, never to be remembered....Corrie Ten Boom, added: "And puts out a no fishing sign" Psalm 103:12 says "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.

Pastor Ralph, I appreciate your admonition to be kind to one another. Sheep can really bite! We left a church after a dear friend was refused the office of Deacon when nominated, because he'd been in an unfortunate marriage at 18 to give a baby a name. He became a dynamic, spirit filled Christian, years later, remarried, and had wonderful children, but this church wanted him to "Pay" for that particular sin for the rest of his life by shunning him from leadership. We were new believers at the time and didn't know much, but knew that was NOT GOD!

Years later, I was shunned from leadership in a Bible study program, because I had been divorced and remarried....though the divorce was over my husbands many adulterous affairs, and this all took place years before I was born again....I wasn't seeking to be in leadership, and stayed in the program because it's benefits far outweighed this silly rule....I knew that ALL of my past sins were under the blood of Jesus.

Well said JanMary. The book "Unchristian" does a wonderful job explaining the current perception of Christians held by the youth of society (18-35). The strong belief being that Christians are hypocrites and very judgmental. I know as a Christian myself that I need not look beyond the doors of my church to confirm this perception held by both young belivers and nonbelievers. I always like to embody what St. Frances said "Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."

I have been in that situation of divorce and remarriage. The church stand on it was that it was Adultery and neither of us was all of a sudden worthy to serve in various capacities. I on this issue have always felt, it is where a person's personal walk is.

My answer would have to be, NO!

King David is an example of God's grace and mercy, one who's heart desperately asked God for forgiveness. Bathsheba was instrumental in establishing the kingdom of God, as we see, as God blessed Solomon. The word tells us, he that marrieth her which is put away doth commit, (singular) adultery. I love Jesus teaching about sex, marriage, and about celebacy. His teaching is that we come to understand the importance of it all, and the real meaning, why God gave it to us.

What part of forgiveness does the church not understand? The sins that we have confessed and repented of, are they to be held against us, the rest of our lives? When a person commits adultery in ones heart, is this to be held against him, the rest of his life? There is not one who can keep all the law, this is why I am thankful for the love of God found in His mercy and grace.

I serve a God full of mercy and grace, freely given to all who ask, a gift from God to mankind, in the form of Christ Jesus, the Messiah.

I believe the foundation for married life is not established on the sex act, but, its foundation is to be established on "love."-- There are many Christians who have found themselves in a marriage that is not based on "love" and its consequences have been detrimental to them and the children. This is not what God had in mind when two are made into one! No, I do not believe God commands anyone stay in a marriage founded on unfaithfulness, or abuse. He teaches us the importance of "love" -- What better place to begin, but in the marriage bed. :unsure:

1st time trial msg:

According to Jesus' teaching on this subject, it is adultery. But as 1 John 1:9 says it is like any other sin and the God of love is there to forgive all if it is confessed sincerely and asked forgiveness. It boils down to ones own personal walk with God. It is quite hard for the leaders to take a particular stand in this matter when someone who had gone through this kind of unfortunate circumstances wants to aspire leadership. Those who do not have a clear understanding about this issue will be in a total confusion if the church allow such people to go as leaders. I am wondering what can they preach to others.

May God grant wisdom to all church goers on this matter.

I believe that a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, does not live in a perpetual state of adultery. He or she has commits adultery at the time he remarried, but at that time the adultery is past too, because at that time the first marriage is broken. But surely, he or she will be responsible for his or her actions and sin. He or she will bear the consequence of his adultery, from God.

I believe that that person should not divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will because that was prohibited by Deuteronomy 24:3-4.

I believe that it is possible to get back into God

Though committing adultery at the time, remarrying another person offsets that adultery. God will forgive and bless . God's will is for love to abound--- not divorce, hatred, conflicts, abuse, and all the other things that cause divorce. If people can not live together in love and harmony---ask God's forgiveness and separate. Then wait for God to give reconciliation either to spouse or another in marriage, after divorce.

:unsure:Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) <_<

Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery?

No, I do not believe the person lives in a perpetual state of adultery. There is sin involved when this happens. However, one can repent and live a truly Christian life in the second marriage.

Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

The person can get back into God's will by repenting as one would do when any sin is commited. Ask the Lord to help live life now to glorify Him. Marriage was instituted by God to be a permanent and last relationship. However, when man sins, God forgives when one repents and strives to life a Godly life.

:blink:

The blood of Jesus on the cross covers everything and anything. God's gracious gift of repentance and restoration does the deed. A person gets back into God's will by having a relationship with Him. 'nuff said on the subject...sheep should take more time combing each other 's wool instead of looking at the mud spots...

Our God Reigns...no matter what. Jesus said it was finished at the cross...remember?