JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Let Your 'Yes' Be 'Yes'

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

Speak truth. If we obeyed this we would be a lot quieter...limiting idle chatter...and our credibility would be of greater value. My motto is Speak Life and Speak Truth...Let love abound from your mouth...and never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no? If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

Here Jesus was emphasizing the importance of telling the truth . People were breaking promises and using sacred language casually and carelessly. Keeping oaths and promises is important it builds trust and makes commited human relationships possible. The bible condemns making vows or taking oaths casually, giving your word while knowing you won't keep it, or swearing falsely in God's name. ( Exodud 20: 7) Oaths are needed in certain situations cause we live in a sinful society that breeds distrusts.

Oaths, or vows, were common, but jesus told his followers not to use them-- their word alone should be enough, ( see James 5: 12 ). Are you known as a person of your word? Truthfulness seems so rare that we feel we must end our statements with"I promise". If we tell the truth all the time, we will have less pressure to back up our words with an oath or promise.

Speak truth. If we obeyed this we would be a lot quieter...limiting idle chatter...and our credibility would be of greater value. My motto is Speak Life and Speak Truth...Let love abound from your mouth...and never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

I like what swordwoman said Amen

We are to simply speak the truth. Be honest in what we say and do it with love. If we truly obeyed this command it would help to restore the confidence others have in us. They would know that they can trust us to be people of our word and do as we say we will do. It would definitely help to improve credibility.

It means that we should be very careful with our words not giving in to desire to have everyone believe us through swearing but in our careful choice of words lettting our yes be yes and no be no. We should always be truthful even when it hurts us for it is much worse to hurt the Great God who made us.

If we always obey this command we may not be like by many worldly friends but the ones who live for Christ will know that we too are living for Him and are seeking to do His will and not that of the world. Our credibility to some will increase but there will always be those who try to trap us in false hoods even to the extent of making something up, they did the same to Christ.

1)If one is telling the truth, it doesn't need an oath to underscore what has been said. To add an oath implies that "I'm usually not telling the truth, but THIS TIME I REALLy AM!!!

2) One of the verses I've learned to love and appreciate in this area is: "I said, I will take heed and guard my tongue: I will muzzle my mouth as with a bridle....." Ps.39:1 When I speak the truth (in love), I'm not as apt to have to eat my words. James said it's presumption and self-conceit to even say: Today or tomorrow I will do such and so, because we don't know the least thing about what may happen next..Swearing oaths can get into future promises, and we aren't guaranteed even our next breath. James 4:13,14

3)To be a truth teller gives credibilty to our word. My brother just moved to Flatonia, Texas, where he was stunned to be told when he didn't have his check book for a purchase he'd made and they didn't take credit cards in that store.."Down here we believe a man's word... let's shake hands. I trust that you'll be back to pay for it...You're going to need tools...my shed is always unlocked. Help yourself." Now there's a place I'd like to live....where a word or a handshake seals the deal

DON'T SAY NO BUT MEAN YES .MAKE SOMEONE KNOW WHEN YOU SAY NO IT IS NO AND YOUR MIND WILL NOT BE CHANGED AND THE SAMETHING WITH YES ...WE WILL SHOW PEOPLE WE ARE TRUE TO WHAT WE SAY ..THEY CAN COUNT ON IT .. BECAUSE WE ARE LIKE GOD.. AND NOT LIKE DEVIL THE FATHER OF LIES!!!!

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37)

:P

What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

This means to say exactly what you mean and do not try to deceive others with the words you choose to use. Be honest.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

We would not deceive anyone with the words we use. We would be trustworthy and known as an honest person. :P

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

It all comes down to being trusted. For years I have done business on a handshake. Some people think i am either crazy or just plain stupid for doing business without half down and a contract. When they ask if I worry about not being paid my reply is, "Not if I do a good enough job, and if I don't do a good job then I don't expect to be paid."

If we all obeyed this command, I wonder if there would be any need for lawyers.

Darrell

it means that you must think before you say anything and be sure of what you are saying.

if we obey this command we will be trusted.

When you think about it if we incorporated this more and more into our lifestyles it would eliminate so many areas of confusion and aggression. The truth would set one free.

If we can think, pray and speak the truth before we respond we would be following the advice of Jesus. This would redefine our days. Instead of justifiying, playing control games, wanting to look generous, kind, supportive we would be honest.

It means that as a Christian you should always speak the truth when you are speaking to someone. It means to be honest and loving in your words to others. The result will be your honesty in speaking. Your credibility will be unquestionable.

I would have to say on that, as simple a concept as it is, society has drastically missed the mark. People are to wrapped up in themselves and trying to gain the most out of opportuninies, at whatever cost.

It is really an old school value that has been lost over time.

Personally I do whatever I can to instill these core values not only in my job, my business, and my family. It does great on the credibility, once people understand that there is nothing hidden in my intentions.

We are to speak the truth. If we are known for telling the truth we will not hve a the problem of others believing us. When we have to swear then we have lost our credibility. If we obey His command we will speak the truth. Our word would be our bond. It is sad when no one believe a word you speak. Our credibility will not be question if we are obedient. We have to make speaking the truth a way of life.

Letting your YES be YES and your NO be NO is simply telling the plain truth, not bending the truth to allow for different meanings. If we all would do that it would change the world. People would be more honest and transparent. Credibility would not be a question then.

We shouldn't use answers that leave our message unclear. If we obeyed this command there would be no misunderstanding about our answers and our answers would be credible.

Q1. (Matthew 5:33-37) What does it mean: Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no?

It means, the lives we have been living, has been speaking for us, so, when we speak from our mouth, people will know, we speak truth.

If we obeyed this command, what would be the result in our speaking? In our credibility?

The results would be, a great witness of the God we serve, God Almighty and not Satan.

We do not have to swear an oath to be believed. When we say yes-- mean it and do as you agree to -- likewise if we say no-- don't do it. Mean what you say and say what you mean.. Our speaking would be plainly understood and we would be accountable to our words. Then people could depend on what we say and do.

We don't need to back it up with evidence, or swear. We are called to honesty and if we always said what we mean - if we always told the truth, without exaggerations then we wouldn't need to say anymore. We would simply be believed if we say we are going to do something then we should do it.

People will then see us as honest and reliable - that we say what we mean and that we don't say things just to make ourselves look better.

If we did this ALL the time then we would stand out from the world and we would be trusted and respected for it.

As the pastor just said, we need to always “speak the truth, but in love” to others. This is very hard to do this at all times but we need to do so even if the rest of the world (and even other Christians) doesn’t do it. I want to thank the Lord for His compassion, mercy and forgiveness for the many times I have failed in this area and yet He still has forgiven me for my failures and has restored me back into fellowship with Him time and time again. We need His help in this area of our lives, as it’s easy to slip into the ways of those around us and to tell lies and say things we don’t mean or need to say. With the Lord’s assistance through His Holy Spirit, we need not do these things anymore but rather let our “yes” be yes and our “no” be no—meaning exactly what we say is the truth and always remembering to say the truth out of love. And then our credibility will be believed by others and we won’t need to back it up with other ways to be believed in what we say because others will know we are telling the truth because what we say is the truth and nothing but the truth! I’m not exactly sure how far this goes in swearing in at a court hearing, etc. but most Christians do so because it is expected of them by the law, but such should not make what they say more truthful because they should tell the truth anyway no matter what. Maybe the pastor will get into this type of swearing later in this lesson but what I said before goes for this swearing as well as any other kind of “backing up your word”—we don’t need to do it at all if our words are always truthful and we say what we say to others the truth out of our love for them. Amen!

Let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no means we do not play games to deceive with our words, let our words be plainly true themselves

If we obeyed this command, we would speak the truth, our words would be true.

If we obeyed this command, others would get our words true, we would gain our credibility from others