JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prayer for Daily Bread vs. Independence

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

1)Asking for help connotes weakness in our society of "super", "Just do it" people. It takes humility to say I need help or assistance of some kind. Some view those who can't "do it all", as defective.

2) In "The Fall", we became prideful, like Satan, who fell from Heaven for the same reason....He said 5 times "I WILL BE LIKE GOD"....When our two children were 2 yrs. old, they stated often "I can do it myself". They needed to grow in indepence in order to mature into men and women, capable of leaving home and providing for their own families.... Perhaps that inate desire for independence as we developed in childhood, drives us, but I also believe it's pride rearing it's head. The men in my life will almost never ask someone for directions, preferring to drive around lost, trying to "do it themselves." I did it at Christmas time, & either forgot or chose not to pray, in the pressure of having lost 2 weeks to sickness, and was an absolute mess for several weeks, trying to do what needed to be done without His help...when I "got a grip" and prayed for help, He came in, peace was restored, I allowed Him to lead me, and the rest of the holiday was a joy...to His glory, not mine. He sorted out my priorities.

3)Why should we ask God for daily bread?At the most basic level, I'm incapable of making a seed...to grow wheat for bread or to grow anything. Only God can do that. I may be able to earn a living to buy bread, but He provides the job and the skill and the health to do the job. When in times past, our family became destitute through the many losses and blindness, & we were unable to provide for our own needs, we recognized that we are dependent upon Him for not only bread, but for our next breath. In those times, He was still the provider, as He spoke to different ones of His children, to meet specific needs.

I'll never forget praying before going to an evening church service that the Lord would provide the desperate financial need that we had for the next day, as well as for our daughter's need. During the service, a woman I'd never seen before and who knew nothing about us, tapped me on the shoulder and said: "As I was getting ready to come to church tonight, the Holy Spirit told me to bring $300.00 and He would show me who it was for.....I've been sitting here and I know it's either for you or for the young woman next to you (our daughter!). When she gave me the money, it was exactly to the penny what we needed and what our daughter needed. He knew the need before I prayed, and sent the provision through an obedient stranger. We were blessed abundantly, at His amazing answer to prayer, and she wept with joy at being able to bless us. (We all wept!) God is glorified once more as I share it with you, reminding me again that He is the God who provides for me daily.

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

The basic meaning of this request is clear enough, But there are a few points worth mentioning, ( First ), when we pray for our daily bread from God, We are taught to trust in Him for all things, even the food that we daily receive. Though it seems to superficial appearance that men obtain their bread with or withour prayer, we are taught to seek our bread from Him that it may be blessed and that we might receive it rightly, for it is a gift from Him, regardless of appearances. ( second ), the prayer for daily bread should be considered as including all of our basic physical necessities. In order to live, we need shelter; we need clothing. Whatever physical need we have as workers for His kingdom should be regarded as included in this request.

( Third ), It is worthy of note that we are here seeking physical blessings from God. God is not the Lord only of the "spiritual " realm or of "spiritual" people. God created us as physical creatures who depend upon the physical world around us for our lives.

We seek to be independent of God because mostly of pride in ourselves. The point is that we are taught to ask humbly. Jesus says, " our daily bread." This is not a prayer for riches and fame. jesus does not encourage us to think of God as a magical source of all things we would like to have. We ask with humility because we are asking that He enable us to work for His kingdom. The point here, by the way, is not that it is wrong for us to ask for something more than bread that we need for a single day, but that we ask God for what we need to work for His kingdom. We commit our needs to Him If He decides to give us only our daily bread, we should be content with it.

God could have created us so that one meal sufficed for a whole week or even a month. Think how much more convenient that would be for Mothers and how much we could reduce our food bills! But God had something else in mind. He created us as hungry creatures who eat three times a day so we could learn something of our dependence upon God through our dependence on the physical creation. The physical creation, in other words, is given to us as an object lesson to teach us our need of God.

In the context of our Lord's instructions and note that He teaches us to seek our daily bread from God so that we may seek His kingdom. To understand what it means to trust in Him daily for all that we are and have is one of the most profound lessons we can learn. It is not something that we know just because we say the words. We learn just like the Israelites did. In our daily walk with God, We are tested and tried on all points. If we are praying the Lord's Prayer daily, God will impress the lessons of His prayer deeply in our hearts through our daily experience of His goodness. We will learn to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and to trust in Him to provide for our every need.

1. We are so full of pride. 2. in ourselves that we don't want to think of asking God to give us nothing until something bad comes into our lives or a strong spiritual warfare comes along, then we'll come to Him like baby's and telling God what He has promised to do for us. 3. We need ask God to "give" us bread, daily because it is His Word that gives us wisdom, power, strength, and knowledge as long as we ask Him in Jesus name.

Because of our pride, we refuse to ask anyone for their help. We want to appear strong & that we have everything in control.

Same, because of our pride, we refuse to see ourselves as God sees us, a very needy people--sheep, to be exact. (I have heard others say they don't want to ask anything of God for themselves, because they don't deserve it or because other people who need need help that is more important. Sounds pious, but it is really prideful.)

We ask God to provide for us--He provides our jobs--which in turn--provide funds with which we purchase our food. Everything we have comes from Him.

Ask--so you will receive.

I think asking for help is a humbling experience. When we seek to be independent of God we are putting ourselves on the throne of our heart instead of God. Everything belongs to God and in an instant all that we have could be taken away - look at Job!

it is because the word of God promised that we will be the head we wont be the tail.we will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.we are not to be pitied.we seek to be independent of God because He is our maker.everything depends on Him.without Him we are but nothing.our daily bread will feed us spiritual.it is his word.without His word we are lost.

When I ponder this question I feel like I am back in the garden with Adam and Eve wanting what is God's. Being proud and independent makes us want to be like the evil one and be like the creator. It is humbling to acknowledge that we have and are nothing unless God makes it so. No matter what the circumstances we feel lesser than when we have to acknowledge that we have to have help.

I have to be the one to say of myself that I am one who believed that asking God for something so trival as feeding me and taking care of something so small was demeaning to God because he gave me the ability to care for myself. But I have learned through time that I can do nothing without Him and that HE is my Chief Caregiver, my Main Provider, my Sustainer. That there is nothing to small for Him and that He wants to be apart of everything I am and do. I believed that God would use this time to help others in more need and those that are less fortunate than I was. But I was one of those less fortunate and in need because without Him in my life everything in it was meaningless and empty and full of pride.

I now pray to God for every aspect of my life even if I am simply going to the market, I pray and invite Him along with me, everything that I do now is guided by Him and I've learned to humble myself in this world because of him, trying to live a pride free life isn't easy and it's a challenge I take on everyday. We are to surrender our lives over to Him and to put our trust and faith in Him completely in all things something you can't do if you're a prideful person.

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

We strive to be independent and self-sustaining. We don't like to think that we rely on others or need others to function. We are a self-centred people and often our idea of success is having it all, and not needing anyone's help or support.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

By striving for that independance (see above) we often take for granted the things that God has given. That ultimately it is where he has place us not where we have gotten on our own. We want to be independent (society's view of success) rahter than dependent.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We need to always ask God for our daily bread because it is He who gives us the ability to work etc. It is through Him that we are who we are with the abilitieis no matter how we perceive them to be -> good, bad or indifferent.

So often in the Western world we have a regular salary that comes like clockwork, month after month, and we take our livelihood for granted. Only when we are laid off or touched by serious illness do we begin to ask daily for his provision. Jesus teaches us to learn to become dependent upon our Father, and to bring to him our daily needs -- though we disciples are to put our own needs after the Father's holiness and kingdom and will. We should pray for Jesus to give us the will and desire to use the provisions he provides us and to use these to serve Him.

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help so often because of pride and wanting to feel we can be totally independent. We like to be in control and in charge. However, Jesus taught us that we are totally dependent on Him and to recognize this brings peace of mind. We do need to use the skills and talents we have but must remember these are also from the Lord. :huh:

I believe that most of the time it comes from pride, we don't want to let anyone know that we need help. We fail to ask God because we think that we can do every thing for ourselves. We fail to give it a thought that all good things come from God. We fail to realize that God is our provider and our Father who wants to help and take care of His children. We need to ask God for our daily bread to remind us that He is our provider and remind ourselves that we need to give God credit for all things and give Him thanks for all that He does for us.

BECAUSE WE THINK WE CAN DO IT ON OUR OWN OR WORST YET WE GO TO OTHER PEOPLE INSTEAD OF DIRECTLY TO THE THRONE!!! BECAUSE WE THINK GOD IS NOT INTERESTED IN OUR DAILY THINGS ..WHEN IN FACT GOD IS INTERESTED IN EVERY FAUCET OF OUR LIVES...WE JUST GOT TO COME TO HIM.AND TELL HIM!!! BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH WE WORK...GOD MADE US ..AND HE STILL DESERVES ALL THE GLORY!!!!!!!!

Pride keeps us from asking anyone for help. Personally I always waited until desperation struck before I could gather the courage to ask for aid. With God, man always credits himself for His successes, when he is on the mountain top. It is in the valley that he calls to God for all his needs.

I work for the Lord and haven't drawn a paycheck for over 16 years. Our whole ministry operates this way and it is by faith in Jehovah Jireh that we succeed. He gives us all of our needs, and often our wants as well. He is a loving Father who gives us all our talents to survive and it is He who deserves the glory when we succeed.

We want to be our own man and pride rears it ugly head. We sometimes think God is too busy to hear us when we pray. Not so!!! He hears every word uttered and answers. Not always the way we want. We need to be dependent on God & not ourselves. Jobs can go away and our means for support for the family but GOD never leaves or forsakes us. He is always there in times of need no matter how small the need is. GOD MULTIPLIES-----the world divides. He is our True Provider..

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because we do not want to make trouble to them and we will be proud of ourselves, if we are able to meet our needs by ourselves.

We seek to be independent of God because we feel that we were able to meet our needs by ourselves.

We should ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves because it is the way to remind us that it is he who gives us the ability to earn a living for ourselves, to meet all we need

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help, because of self-centered heart. Mostly this happens when someone has a lot of wealthy, and thinks that, he/she does not need help from anyone else. Most the time people will only think of others when they are in problems, but when things are going on well with them, they have no business with other people.

We seek to be independent of God, because of we do not understand that God is Our Creator. He is the one who carries our lives, if only we could know this simple truth, we will not putting God aside in our daily activities.

God is the one who gives us strength to do anything. Whether we are earning a living for ourselves, we can not get that graded.

We seek to be independant of asking anyone for help because we like to believe we can make it on our own. We don't like to feel obligated to anyone else for our needs.

We seek to be independant of God because we like to think we can provide for our own needs and our families needs without having to petition God for them.

We should ask God to "give" us daily bread evento we can earn a living ourselves because this is what Jesus taught we should do. Since it is God who provides for us our jobs in a real sense it is He who "gives" us our daily bread. Jesus wants us to look to God for our daily provision.

We think that we are self-sufficent and do not need anyone 's help..sometimes we think we don't need God's help either.

We must remember that all things come from God..he gives the ability to earn a living for ourselves and our families. We should remember to share with the needy.

Q. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? I cannot speak for others, but, I look to others for help when I need it. I do not have all the answers to life.

Why do we seek to be independent of God? I am daily dependent on God. He is my strength.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves? Our ability to earn a living comes from Him, but, God is not talking about the food we feed our bodies with; He is talking about the food our soul needs, found in Christ Jesus.

We need the presence of Father God, the God of Abraham in our lives each and every day! The 12 loaves of bread placed in the tabernacle sybolized "God's presence" -- We need to be in the presence of God "daily" -- God gave us manna, it is Jesus, He is the "bread of life," manna sent from God! He is The Word; we need this spititual nourishment if we are to grow in Him. He is life for the soul.

"DAILY" is the key word, don't let a day go by without being nourished with the manna from God, it taste sweet to the soul. :P

Q3. (Matthew 6:11) Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Because we are human in a fallen world. We forget so often that this world is at His feet.

Why do we seek to be independent of God? Well, we have lived so many years on our own before coming to know Him, which is so often the case.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves? Because it is He who first gave us breath to breath through each of our lives. With out breath, we couldn

The answer to the first and second question is P.R.I.D.E. ...and the answer to the third question is R.E.L.A.T.I.O.N.S.H.I.P.

Simple.