JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Serving God or Money

• 2 months later...
Q4. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. ( Matthew 6:19-24)

Yes, I belive He means that Literal, Depends on where their heart is. Jesus says we can have only one master, We live in a materialistic society where many people serve money. They spend all their lives collecting and storing it, only to die and leave it behind. Their for money and what it can buy far outweighs their commitment to God and spiritual matters. Whatever you store up, you will spend much of your time and energy thinking about Don't fall into the materialistic trap, because " the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" ( 1 Timothy 6: 10 ) Can you honestly say that God , and not money, is your master? One test is to ask which one occupies more of your thoughts, time, and efforts.

Jesus contrasted heavenly values with earthly values when He explained that our first loyalty should be to those things that do not fade. cannot be stolen or used up, and never wear out. We should not be fascinated with our possessions, lest they possess us. This means we may have to do some cutting back if our posessions are becoming too important to us. Jesus is calling for a decision that allows us to live contentedly with whatever we have because we have chosen what is eternal and lasting.

One of the main points, if not the main point is our relationship as Christians to our our heavenly Father. In this chapter alone Jesus mentions the term "Father" 11 times, showing the significance and importance of that relationship. Our relationship to the Father as His children is the most remarkable and incredible relationship. We have been bought with a price, so that we can be called"children of God' ( Romans 8: 15- 17 ).

The big question from Sermon on the Mount is the question of where my heart is. In reading through and studying the Sermon on the Mount over the past several months, my heart has been challenged to really think through this question and to evalute if my heart is seeking after self or after a real, vibrant relationship with God. In a lot of ways, we can put on many masks and faces so people perceive us as spiritual or Godly, when in reality, deep in our heart of hearts or in our private life, we struggle with fears, temptations, and desiring the things of the world for man's praise instead of glorifying God. In this passage, Jesus directly addresses the heart by asking the question, " Where is your treasure?" He says in ( Matthew 6:21 ), " For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." There are a lot of things vying for your heart, as this is the control center for life.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Yes, Jesus really means that I can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. It is almost impossible that we can seek both simultaneously, because, as stated by that verse, we surely will one of both. I think wealth is not thing that we must seek, but it is grace from God. Pastor Paul say in 1 Timothy 6:8-10

It would seem to be figurative. I know of rich people who do serve God and do so with humility and reverence to Him. Jesus told His disciples that anything is possible with God in terms of rich folks making it to heaven. I do feel that for the most part most rich people do have severe problems as to who they worship more, money or God as they tend to spend their time acquiring more wealth and idolizing what they have. By the way, you don't have to be rich to fall into the money loving trap. Jesus was addressing the average person who works endless hours to accumulate money in order to be a rich person. They have little or no time for God.

The key word is "seeking" wealth and putting the acquiring of wealth ahead of everything else. Then money becomes your God. Wealthy people can serve God. I know people who give much of their own money to ministry.

Jesus is not saying that you can't seek wealth and God. In fact God does want His children to prosper, but do not put your wealth first, always put God first in everything that you do, This would be my first choice is to put God first and thank Him for His grace, mercy, and favor to be blessed with wealth. I believe this is Literal, where your treasue is, there your heart will be also. And yes wealthy people does serve God. not all of them but a true born again christian that is wealthy person will serve God.

Idon't think that we are to seek wealth, scripture says seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness then all these things will be added unto you. If weseek God first then we will be better able to, with wealth and the temptations it can bring.

I think that wealth is not a deterant from God, He loves us all the same it is as Jesus said easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven, I think that the temptations with wealth are greater for the rich thanfor us who struggle to make ends meet.

My daughter posed this question to me. Would you sell your car and give the money to someone who was in need of a surgery to save that person's life? Would you sell your car to give to the poor so that they might not starve to death? How about this? If your car was stalled at a railroad crossing and you had a choice to either push your car off the tracks to avoid an oncoming train or to rescue a person who had fallen and was laying on the tracks, what would you do?

Don't we make that same choice every time we sock away money, buy junk that sits and collects dust, or clothes that are "OUTDATED", or just gotta have that new toy? I am thinking that is what Jesus meant by "You cannot serve two masters." I just love Christmas time. People go out and buy the new toy at ten times the price just so they can say they got it.

Headline in the local newspaper last week, "Cost is major factor in determining medical procedure." Not what is best for the patient, but cost. High cost of finance cost people to lose their homes, high cost of transportation cost people their jobs, high cost of insurance cost people their lives. All for chasing after the money. It's ok till it is your house, job, or life.

Darrell

1)I believe it boils down to motivation, or the heart attitude involved in the seeking. I know some wealthy folks who serve and seek God as their first love, and who are extremely generous with their wealth. They use wealth to bless others, but not to be seen. I just know they do, because I've been a recipient of their gracious giving. They allow the Lord to control their wealth, rather than letting their wealth control them. That is the key...who is in control? Is it a "tool" in God's Hands, or a means of status and a monument to greed?

2) Does Jesus really mean this? He knows the snares and pitfalls and I believe is cautioning against the power that wealth has to control and destroy, if He is not first. I've been reading in Chronicles this week, and saw Solomon, who didn't ask for wealth and power, but for wisdom to govern God's people, destroyed, because of the wealth and power he was given, though he didn't ask for it. He became an octopus of acquision, grabbing in every direction,with greedy hands, foreign wives, concubines, apes, gold, peacocks....whatever was new and exotic, and in the process, forsook his God. He looked to "stuff" to fulfill him and ended up seeing all of life as vanity, empty, a waste. That is the snare...wealth used as a means to try to fill up the black hole of greed and selfishness. Our loving Lord warns against this.

I've heard it said that "Prosperity is a greater trial than poverty".....I've been both, and though I've been promised wealth in the future for God's purposes, poverty has been the greater blessing....because of the need for total dependence upon God...He has proved Himself faithful in all areas. There is joy in looking for His blessing and provision, in seeing His Hand reach out in provision, and learning gratitude for the smallest gifts. (a friend remarked recently that she's never known anyone who gets such joy from a sunset or even a latte!) That has come from discovering first hand, that every good and perfect gift comes from Him. Abundance gives a sense of power, and impatience.... an " I can do it myself and don't have to wait upon God." I've asked Him so postpone the wealth until He's certain we will be good stewards of it. I don't want to lose the dependence and delight in seeing Him in every day life.

He means that we should seek Him first and not beeing controlled by earthly things.It is good to be wealthy but be controled by God.and do His will.Yes ,others do.but very few.

We can have possessions so long as they do not have us. As long as we don't rely on the world for our needs and put things in perspective and know who Our God is and Whom we choose to serve.

We cannot serve two masters. Where the heart is- is what matters, because God wants us to prosper in ALL we do.

Q4. (Matthew 6:24) No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal?

I take it literally. God is making it very clear, we cannot serve, be a slave to, be in bondage to mammon and be a servant to God at the same time.

If we are in bondage to mammon, it has become our God, we are under its power. This is a serious warning, not to be in bondage to the things of this world, the joy of this world is fleeting. We have a choice to make, earthly wealth or heavenly wealth, The lasting wealth is the spiritual riches of God's grace.

God is not telling us it is wrong to seek wealth, He is telling us not to "serve," be a slave to, seeking after wealth. It is the "love" of money that leads us to being under its power, consumming our every moment, our energy. Setting our hearts on the desire for wealth, leads us to desire power, fulfilling the desires of the flesh.

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

It is a fact, you can be wealthy and serve God at the same time, just do not let the wealth God has blessed us with, become all consumming. Wealth comes from God. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were wealthy. What is wealth? I am a very wealthy person, I have a roof over my head, I have food to eat, I have clothing for my body. I am very wealthy, and I thank God each, and every day, for all He has given to me. :rolleyes:

I am not going to judge whether or not somone can serve God, because some people have wealth that was inherited.

But Jesus left us with instructions that we should follow starting with Luke:

LUKE18:22

"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me".

And he also said:

Mat 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

(6:24)"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

So I am sure that anyone can serve God if there heart is in the right place and they follow the instructions of Jesus for He is the true example, He is the way and His words are the truth.

TRUE BECAUSE YOU LOVE THE ONE AND DESPISE THE OTHER..YES GOD WANTS TO BE FIRST IN YOUR LIFE NO FALSE GOD'S BEFORE HIM..YES THEY CAN PROVIDED THEY CAN GOD FIRST AND NOT LET THE MONEY TAKE OVER THEM .BECAUSE GOD IS THE REAL TRUTH AND THE LIGHT AND THE WAY!!!

I think He literally meant you can't have your heart set on accumulating riches and your heart set on God at the same time. Having a good job, or seeking to better yourself is not a bad thing, especially if you are open to God's leading. He knows your heart--He knows your motivation.

Anyone can serve God wholly. Many people who are rich are rich in giving & serving. Yes, it is very possible, but Jesus said it is very hard. See Matt. 19:24.

I believe the essence of what Jesus was speaking of is summed up in one word: motivation. One needs to ask themselves what is their heart's motivation. As a Christian, all motivation of the heart is to be centered in God. The verse indicates that the love of money is the root of all evil. If your love is rooted in God and not money, you're golden... If you love is rooted in money or anything else you are essentially serving two Masters and Jesus' statement is clear regarding that...you can't do it. Just doesn't work.

Yes, wealthy people can serve God and some do it quite well. We are all given what we are given from the Father. Our job is to love and serve Him in the process of what we are given and not for personal gain or status.

I have been in want and I have been in plenty...and I have learned to be content in all things...which is really the only way to live...perfectly content in God...

Q4. (Matthew 6:24)

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Seeking money is not bad. The important question is what does one do with money. How is it used to serve God? As Christians we must remember that everything we have belongs to God and we should use our wealth to serve God. If money and wealth is more important than God, it is bad but if used to serve God it becomes a blessings.

I beleive that Jesus meant this deliberately. I believe that it is wrong to keep your hands closed to not receive a blessing. God knows who you are and if you seek His heart He will reveal to you what to do with the wealth given to you. The key is to know the wealth that you have in Him and it might be translated into an abundant crop but it is up to God what to do with this.

I beleive that Jesus isn't saying that we can't seek wealth. He wants us to be debt free and to not owe anyone anything. Once agian it is a heart attitude - if wealth consumes us - that our Christian walk suffers as a result of that seeking then it is sinful. We should be content with what we have, we can still seek more but with an attitude that it isn't at the cost of everything else. 'At what cost?' - a question I like to ask myself and others -> if the cost is less time with family and God is it what He would want for us?

Can wealthy people serve God? Of course they can - it isn't about the money it is about the heart attitude.

We find true wealth by developing our spiritual life, not by developing our financial assets. God is interested in what is lasting (our souls), not in what is temporary (Our money and possessions)

When you have a lot of money, you will keep on worrying and in that overcrowded, then you will little time or no time to study God

• 1 month later...

Yes, Jesus really means it. Wealthy people can serve God when they place Him first. Most poor people don't serve God. Serving God is a matter of the individual's, regardless of economic status, desire to honor the Creator of the Universe, their Creator.

I look at a guy like Joe Gibbs former Head Coach of the Washington Redskins and a NASCAR team owner. He is wealthy and loves the Lord Jesus Christ. He puts much of wealth into the Gospel Ministry. He is a strong witness for Jesus Christ.

Jesus is not against people being rich. He is demonstrating that when people pursue wealth they are drawn away from the priority of serving God. There can be only one priority, and that must be serving God. Wealthy people can serve God, and God has wealthy people who are carrying out the work of ministry with their resources. These abundant resources are helping to bring people to Christ and maintain the efforts of ministries in bring the gospel to the poor and needy.