JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Judged with the Same Measure

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit? According to Luke's account, how can measuring be both positive and negative? What should we measure out instead of judgmentalism?

• 2 months later...
Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit? According to Luke's account, how can measuring be both positive and negative? What should we measure out instead of judgmentalism?

The Greek word for judging in our text literally means "acting as a judge." Its specific meaning is "to pass a verdict or pronounce sentence; to declare that a person is guilty. " So what Jesus is warning against is the terrible sin of condemning, of pronouncing judgment, in a final sense.

Do not Judge. " Do not place yourself on the throne of God." We need to take this to heart. If we are honest with ourselves we must confess that in our lives, there are to often a readiness to condemn. Too often we not only critize someone's opinion but go a step further and criticize and condemn the person too. It is this kind of judging we are not to do.

Those with a judgemental attitude fail to show love. In ( 1 Corinthians 13 ) Paul tells us love is patient. But a judgmental spirit is impatient. Love is kind. A judgmental spirit is unkind. Love is not rude. a judgmental spirit is always rude. Love is not easily angered. A judgmental spirit is easily angered. Love always protects, love trusts, always hopes. A judgemental spirit constantly attacks, never trust, and always hopes for the worst. We are not to have this kind of spirit. As Luke says give and it shall be given unto you pushed down running over and poured into your lap. If we give out ( ! Corinthians 13 ) we will get all those positive things back poured into our lap. If we do the opposite we will get the negative.

As we look at Matthew 7 we see that Jesus teaches us three reasons why we are to be careful in our judging.

(!) " Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

(2 )" If we condemn others, than our Lord will condemn us.

(3 )" Do not judge others, " says Jesus. " For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with measure you use, it will be measured to you."

We are Christians, and are justified by faith , and have an assurance of salvation, and know we are going to heaven when we die, we will be passed through a purifying flame by the Lord if we condemn others. When you condemn others you are exposing yourself to judgement and will have to answer to the Lord for these things. You will stand ashamed before the Lord.

( PSalm 18: 24-27 ) The Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in His sight. (25 ) TO the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless, ( 26 ) to the pure you show yourself pure. BUT to the crooked you show youself shrewd. (27 ) You save the humble but bring low those whose eyes are haughty.

• 3 weeks later...

What we give is what we will receive in return. The one thing that we should know about our Heavenly Father is that He is consistant and does not change. In Romans 12:19: "Vengance is mine, I will repay...", coupled with; Deut 19:21: "eye for an eye".. and in the parable of the servant who did not treat his fellow servant as his Lord had treated Him (Matt 18:22-35) we see how He gauges His punishments and His blessings. In this manner He remains fair and equitable, not respecting one's person. Bottom line, no matter how we are treated we should give love in return. It is what our payback from the Lord is that we seek.

To our silent Sister up north, thank you and may the love given be the love returned.

Whenever anyone pulls out the "judge" card, I am reminded of one of my favorite verses: Mercy triumphs over judgment! (James 2:13) .

I believe the governor of our "judgment" needs to be first questioned by us..."what is my attitude, what is my motivation?" Whatever your attitude/motivation will be the way you are judged. Much like reaping and sowing...I believe we are called to "judge" the action against the Word of God and love the person. While this may be difficult to do, all things are possible with God...and His grace is sufficient to accomplish the task...no matter who the person or what the situation is.

We are called to measure out mercy...we are all in need of His mercy...all the time...

For in that same way we may judge a person, it will come back to us the same indentical way.We are to show love to everyone, if we are to expect love and respect for others. See decernment from God and realize that we all are created in His image.

If we measure out judgment with a critical spirit we can expect to be critically judged in return. According to Luke if we measure positive things in large amounts e will be blessed abundantly. We should be generous to others instead of judgmental

Judgment & critical spirit will be meted out to us.

Give & forgive.

Whatever you mete out to others will come to us--in the measure you use.

Don't judge--forgive & give!!

1) Our fate is reaping what we have sown, no more no less. As a new believer, I thought this was strictly between God and I. WRONG! I experienced this reaping what I'd sown after judging "sinners" harshly, while further down the road, I was judged by others to the same degree as I had judged early on. OUCH!!! (What goes around comes around)

2)Judging and being judged in return, is the negative. The positive is that the measure with which I confer benefits on others, will be reaped in my own life. Another positive, is that God gives me a choice of what to sow and reap....."weeds or flowers".

3)What should I measure out? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".....I want to receive, love, forgiveness, acceptance, the benefit of the doubt, goodness, grace, mercy, kindness, coming along side, encouragement, understanding, living in peace, patience, joy .....so those are the things I want to measure or sow in abundance, and I will reap them abundantly in my own life..... It's the seed principle...If I want to reap corn, I plant corn seeds....If I want to reap kindness, I plant kindness, and so on....good seed.

A Mirror falls before us. God will bring the measure that we use on others on ourselves. I need a bucketful of Grace so for me the challenge would be to meet every judgement situation with that in mind. Also not to extend this boundary that I also need to disern and become like 'my brother's keeper'. Talk about balancing plates. But this is our walk to chew on these situations with 'Father' and let the Holy Spirit lead us into the Righteousness.

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. -- According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit?

If we bring harsh words against another, to condemn them, when there is no need for such judgment; We will receive this same kind of judgment from God, and rightly so, for we are not following the Holy Spirits leading, we have fallen into the old self, "flesh"

According to Luke's account, Luke 6:37-38 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

How can measuring be both positive and negative?

The positive, depends on how we judge others, God will delight in giving back to us, even more than what we gave. Negative, depends on how we judge others, we will find God giving back to us, pressed down, the same measure we delt out, ouch!

The positive, and the negative judgments from God, all depend on our choice, on how we treat others.

What should we measure out instead of judgmentalism?

LOVE. We must seek after God and His righteousness first, and than we will be more able to love others. What have we been saved from? We who are saved from God's judgment of death, we are now more able to distinquish between works of the flesh, or the works, the fruit of the Spirit. James 2:24 tells us, "man is justified by works, and not by faith only." Let others see our works of LOVE, and see how much the Father will give to us for doing so. :unsure:

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit?According to Matthew's account on judgement in passages 7:1-2 our fate for the way we judge will be measured to us by God on account of how we have judged others so will it be how He judges us.

According to Luke's account, how can measuring be both positive and negative?

In accordance to Luke's account on judgement, the positive is that if we measure judgement in favor of God's loving mercy towards others, God will bless us with this same loving mercy when judging us. But if we judge harshly and negatively, condemning our brothers and sisters we too shall be judged with that same measurement of judgement we have given others by God which will be harshly. For with the same dose of judgement we measure with so shall we be measured by.

We should measure out loving kindness, mercy and understanding towards our brother's and sister's instead of harsh critical judgement.

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit? We must remember that if we withhold forgiveness of others, Christ will withhold forgiveness from us and all of us are sinners in need of forgiveness and mercy. According to Luke's account, how can measuring be both positive and negative? Measuring can be positive if we are forgiving to our brothers and sister because that is the measure of forgiveness we will receive from Christ. However, it can be just the reverse if we are not forgiving to others. What should we measure out instead of judgmentalism?We need to be forgiving, loving and caring about others and truly care about their relationship with the Lord rather than judging and condemning. We need to pray constantly to ask God's grace and guidance--grace for us who are sinners and guidance in helping us be gentle, loving and kind to others. :rolleyes:

Luk 6:37

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit? According to Luke's account, how can measuring be both positive and negative? What should we measure out instead of judgmenta

IF WE CAN'T FORGIVE OTHERS THEN GOD CAN'T FORGET US ...WE SHOULD NOT JUDGE BECAUSE IF WE DO WE WILL NO BLESSINGS!!

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit?

As we judge others, we will be judged.

When we do good, it will be returned to us. When we tend to be judgmental toward others, it will be returned to us.

We should be a blessing to others, then God will bless us. :rolleyes:

Same thing will happen to us

Instead of judging we should forgive

We are to judge ourselves first, and then lovingly forgive and help our neighbor.

We should also not judge others if the kind of judgment is to tear them down and build ourselves up.

We are to love others, not judge them. A forgiving spirit demonstrates that a person has received God

According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit?

God's judgement of us

It is the way in which it is done: positive - done in love, following Jesus' example

negative - done in judgement

love and blessing

Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Read a similar passage in Luke 6:37-38. According to Matthew's account, what is our fate if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit? We will be judged by the same heaps of judgment. We are to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect. We are to seek His kingdom and His righteousness. We might be wise in our own eyes, but intelligence does not indicate that we are merciful. If we claim Christ as our Lord, then He must be Lord over all right? I say,

When you measure out big heaps of judgement with a critical spirit God will give us the same measure of judgement at judgement day. According to Luke the measure will be according to the same measure you have used. If your measure is more then you get more and if your measure is less then you get less.

What we should measure out is love and support for those who have failed. The more the love and support the higher the measure.

According to Matthew's account, if we measure out big heaps of judgment with a critical spirit, God will measure out judgment with that measure, that is, big heaps of judgment.

According to Luke's account, measuring can be positive in terms of forgiving and giving, if we forgive, we will be forgiven, if we give, we will be given, and can be negative in terms of condemning and judging, if we judge, we will be judge, if we condemn, we will be condemn.

Instead of judgmentalism, we should measure out love and good works.

According to Mathew,if we measure out heaps of judgment with a critical spirit, we will be judged in the same way.

According to Luke, measuring can be positive in that the more we give, the more blessings we receive from God. Measuring can also be negative in the sense that the more we refuse to forgive others for their faults,the more God will withold His forgiveness from us.

Instead of judgmentalism,we should measure out forgiveness.