JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Speck and the Beam

• 2 months later...
Q3. (Matthew 7:3-5) What about this parable is humorous? Why do you think Jesus compares a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam? What does the speck represent? What does the plank represent? According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck? When is it not okay?

Jesus statement, " Do not judge." is against the kind of hypocritical, judgmental attitude that tears others down in order to build oneself up It is not a blanket statement against all critical thinking, but a call to be discerning rather than negative.

(Matthew 7: 3-5 ) " Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ( 4 ) How can you say to your brother, " Let me take the speck out of your eye," when all the time there is a plank in your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye.

Nobody with a beam in his eye can see clearly. That is the problem here. They can't look at those around them clearly. They can't look at themselves clearly.

For this reason, we must underline the word " look" in verse ( 3) . Jesus speaks in our passage of people who are so quick and ready to condemn others. Such people look for wrong in the lives of others. They seem to derive a malicious sort of pleasure from putting the finger on the weak spots in the lives of their neighbors. It is almost as if they enjoy spotting evil, wrong, and things they disagree with. They are so absorbed with looking for the evil in the lives of those around them that they become totally blind to their own faults.

Jesus reminds us that we can never judge another without first judging ourselves. That way we can never consider ourselves above a brother or sister who is struggling with a sin in their life. And, once we know our own sinful heart, then we are more mild and careful and prudent in our judgment of others. And, when we do admonish, we do so as a co-sinner, as an equally fallen saint. In this way we treat each other as brothers and sisters and as equals in the Lord. None of us, in other words, can consider ourselves as being better than others.

I am reminded of what Jesus said when a woman caught in adultry was dragged before Him: "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." That's a good thing to keep in mind. None of us are with out sin.

This story reminds us that this business of making judgments requires hard work. We need to make an effort to know all the facts and hear all sides. We need to consult the Bible to see what it teaches. We need to Pray for Spirit-informed discernment. making judgments is hard work done by responsible and compassionate people.

The Lord does call us to make judgments. But, we have to make sure we do the right kind--not the wrong kind-- of judging. May the Lord give us the grace to discern what is right and what is wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm just too serious but I don't think that Jesus saw humor when discussing the possibility of a hypocrite going to hell when that hypocrite was judging someone's little sin while he himself was engulfed with great sin. I mean, the Pharisees were of grave concern to the Lord because they were His brothers yet had become hard hearted by their religious traditions and led many the wrong way. Here comes Jesus with a new and fresh outlook, willing to die for that outlook and He has but a short time to undo years and years of false teaching.

Paul taught us to be sober minded because peoples lives are at stake. Yes, there are times for humor and fun from the pulpit but when we see someone drowning I don't think we should toss them a little levity.

The Lord wants us to examine ourselves as we look at others. Before we open our mouth we need to make certain that we are clear of conviction and sin. Lets not throw the rock until we ourselves are clean.

Q3. (Matthew 7:3-5) What about this parable is humorous? Why do you think Jesus compares a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam? What does the speck represent? What does the plank represent? According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck? When is it not okay?

When we notice something is wrog with other's and we think that we are so perfect within, now that's funny. Because in His Spiritual eyes they are both the samae in size. It respresent sin. It respresent sin too. Never if you have removed your own speck first.

It's funny to think of me with something large in one eye trying to help someone with something small in their eye (how could I even see to do it; aside for the pain and the feeling that I need help with my bigger problem first?) I think Jesus compares a speck and a plank because we have a tendency to think that our sins are not as bad as they really are and that other's sins are worse. The speck might represent a bad thought and the plank might represent acting upon a bad thought. It's okay to remove the speck after the plank had been taken care of and it's not okay while the plank is still there.

How something that large could be in someone's eye is humorous. Someone with a log in their eye would be unable to see the speck in another's eye.

The plank is sin that should be judged--very easily seen by others.

The speck is a one-time goof-up.

Remove that speck when your plank has been removed. If things aren't right with you & God, you have a lot of work to do!!

1) The humor is in how well Jesus knows human nature...He's lovingly saying "You can't see the forest for the trees...or, you're blind to your own sin, but magnify others sins and shortcomings." It's funny because it's so true! Rather than condemning us, He used hyperbole to let us in on the humor and the absurdity of doing this. (Judging or condemning other believers...he says "your brother's eye"...)

2)I think He's telling us here to "tend to our own knitting" as my grandmother used to say...We're not called to be "fruit inspectors" in other believers lives...that's His job. I think He's reminding me of how blurry my vision gets when I have even a speck in my eye, so how can I possibly see clearly to analyze another's life with a whole board blinding me? It's the old saying in different words "When I point my finger at another, there are 3 pointing back at me.." Our nature is to loudly condemn in another, what we are doing ourselves.

3)The speck represents another's sin, flaws, shortcomings. The Plank represents my own sin, flaws, shortcomings, which in some cases, I would prefer not to see, or am in denial about, but is glaring and needs to be attended to. He's restating the reasons we are not to judge!

4)He said to first get the plank of timber out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to take the particle out of your brother's eye. The blind can't lead the blind, in other words, which is why He called the Pharisees, Blind Guides.

Before I got into 12-step recovery for codependency, I was a consumate "fixer"...always focused on others & trying to solve others problems...I learned later on that I was in denial about what was broken in my life due to the painful memories I'd repressed, and I was really trying to "fix" my own mess through trying to solve others problems. It wasn't until those things were acknowledged and healed in my own life, that I saw I have no ability to "fix" others. Each one has to do their own "work". All I can offer is encouragement and support and prayer. Sin in another's life is not my business, unless I'm called by the Lord to speak lovingly and humbly into that life, and I need to be very clear that He's called me.

Q3. (Matthew 7:3-5 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Why do you think Jesus compares a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam?

Jesus is making His point very clear, so we will understand what He is teaching us.

One person has a tiny piece of dried wood, a splinter in his eye; others would be able to see it, if they are looking hard to find it.

The other person has a huge rafter protruding out of his eye, you don't have to look hard to see it.

What does the speck represent?

If I understand this correctly, a dried up piece of wood, that is a size of a splinter would represent sin under grace. It at one time was sin, seen as a rafter, but, because that person was being molded, changed, the rafter is now the size of a splinter.

What does the plank represent?

SIN. A plank, a rafter, is a support beam, and sin is not to be our support, our witness, our master.

According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck? When is it not okay?

There are times when we are to judge, as we see in v 6, it is to be given in love, and by a person who does not have a rafter protruding out of his eye, full of criticism and fault finding. :blink:

Q3. (Matthew 7:3-5) What about this parable is humorous?

The use of the plank and the speck.

He compares a speck of sawdust as something small to a plank or a beam or we could see it as a two-by-four which is something huge.

The speck represents the small sin.

The plank represents much confusion, a huge sin, or problem.

According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck? When is it not okay?

In accordance to this parable it is okay to remove a speck when you have removed the plank from your being with cleansing and guidance from God.

But we should not try to remove a speck from someone else until we have removed the plank from ourselves, using self-examination and correction of our sins asking for God to cleanse our lives before we take on even the smallest of specks in someone elses.

Humbling ourselves before God. Asking for His guidance then approaching our brother's and sister's with love, kindness and understanding.

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 18:9-14)

The visual image of a man even seeing anything with a plank in his eye really reflects the humour. All sin offends God but perhaps using the measure of speck and plank reveals the level of sin. When we have gone to God, acknowledged our sin, repented and have allowed the grace and forgiveness into the situation then we can come alongside our brothers and guide them to seek God.

The humorous part as pastor stated is that of having a plank in your eye while trying to get a speck from someone else eye. When we judge we are seeing a very small sin while God sees all our sins which are very large in respect to His Holyness. The speck represents the sin of our brother against us while the beam represents our sins against a Holy God. It is only ok to remove a speck after we have sucessfully remove the sins of our live that lead us to be judgemental of our brother. We are to love with the Spirit of Christ and not condemn but restore our brother to Him so that our brother sees that love and can repent and return to a loving God and Saviour His Son Jesus.

BECAUSE HOW CAN YOU SEE CLEARLY IF YOU GOT A PLANK IN YOUR EYE ..YOU HAVE NO VISION..A PLANK IS THE JUDGING THAT WE ARE DOING ..THE SPECK IS THE SMALL SIN THE PERSON HAS ..BUT THE SIN IN US IS WAY BIGGER...IT IS OK WHEN WE QUIT JUDGING AND LET GOD DO THE JUDING!!

[/color]

Q3. (Matthew 7:3-5) What about this parable is humorous?Just imagine a log sticking out of someone's eye! Compare the contrast in size of a speck to a log! There certainly is humor here. Why do you think Jesus compares a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam? There is such a difference in size. When we consider our sins, we may find they are the size of a log or plank compared the the little speck for which we are condemning our neighbor. What does the speck represent? The speck represents a small transgression.What does the plank represent? The plank represent a large transgression.According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck? We must first humble ourselves before God and ask for forgiveness of our own sins knowing we are sinners. Then we try to help our brother with love and showing compassion. When is it not okay?It is not OK, we are have the attitude of being superior, better and sinless and when we do not admit we are sinners too. It is not OK, when we lack love and compassion for our brother. :o

Thinking of a man standing there in front of me with a plank sticking out of his eye is a bit humorous. Jesus had a great sense of humor and got His point across.

I believe He compares them so we can see that our sin is just as bad as our neighbors sin. Our Pastor is always telling us to remember than when we point a finger at someone, there are 3 more fingers pointing back at me.

I think that the speck represents the sin of the one we are judging.

I think that the plank represents my sin. How can I judge someone else

To see somebody s weaknesses whereas you have your own it is humorous.

weaknesses differ

weakness or sin

When you do not have one

when you have one

The plank/ sawdust is what's funny because our unconfessed sin is larger than that of the other person we are trying to help. When we confess and rid ourselves of our sin then it is alright to help someone else. When we can't see our own sin and try to help others , we heap judgement upon ourselves and are of little help to the one that needs it.

As much as we are to condemn sin we should be very careful on how to do it. We should God who is the final judge to judge people not us.

Whenever we find ourselves feeling justifiable angry about someone

The impossibility of the situation is what is humorous. Jesus uses this comparision as an illustration. The speck would have been a small sin or fault and the beam a large sin. We are to examine ourselves and ask for God's forgiveness of our own sins before we judge others.

What about this parable is humorous?

The thought of someone with a huge plank sticking out of their eye trying to take a speck out of someone elses eye. I also interpret this as dangerous.

To show the dangers of self-righteous attitudes - and to show tht we aren't all that we think we are.

What does the speck represent? What does the plank represent?

They both represent sins that are blinding us from seeing clearly - we all have that blindness in our eyes but need to seek God to reveal it to us.

It is okay to remove someone elses speck when you have taken care of your own plank. Make sure you have made yourself right first - pray and ask for God's guidance - He will show you what you need to do.

It seems to me that even though we might think we see things clearly because there may only be a dust particle in our eye, we may actually have a beam and be seeing things in a distorted way that makes us think that it is only saw dust. It's ridiculous for us to spend so much time finding all the little things that are wrong with others while we ignore our own huge problems. Let's address our own problems, weaknesses, sins, and inconsistencies before we start trying to "fix" anybody else! Even if we could fix them, we couldn

This parable is intended to be funny, because the event in this parable do not surely happen in our lives, but through it Jesus wants to teach us his disciples an important principle.

Jesus compares a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam because he wants to teach us that first, unless we take the plank out we are unable to remove the speck, second, taking the plank out in our eyes is not an easy work, it is even painful work, it is much easier to take the plank out than to remove the speck.

The speck represents our brother

The humorous thing about this parable was that Jesus exaggerated to get His point across.

Jesus compared a speck of sawdust with a plank or beam in order to show we need to take care of our own sins first before we can go about correcting others.

The speck represents the sin or fault we see or notice in another believer.

The plank represents one's own sin that is usually ignored.

According to the parable, it is ok to remove a speck when we have taken care of our own sin problem first.

It is not ok when we have sin in our own life that needs to be dealt with first.

• 2 weeks later...

Visualizing a plank or beam protruding out of a person's eye, if it were not thought of as being painful, one might see humor in it.

The comparison is to show that magnitude in size of the plank or beam to the speck of dust.

The speck represents a fault in someone.

The plank or beam represents the fault within you, that you should be able to see and dealt with.

According to this parable, when is it okay to remove a speck?

According to the parable it is okay to remove a speck only when after careful self-examination and surrender to God, repent of your own sins. Then in humility you allow youself to be used of God to bring healing to others.

When is it not okay?

It is not okay when you sourself have sin in your life that you have not dealt with.

• 1 month later...

If you stop and think about it for a minute, you'll realize how funny this is. We all want to think of ourselves as "perfect", because we are in Christ. But the truth is, we are still sinners. We are saved by grace, and that through faith. But it is all Jesus, and He does the work-not us. Nothing we did, or could do would bring this out. It is all Jesus. We think we have the right to fix other's problems, and that is true to a certain extent. We need to realize that only after we get the sin in our lives cleaned out through Jesus shed blood, can we begin to help others. Ours are planks, because we don't often want to admit that we have sin in our lives. This cleaning out of our sins is a continuous process-we'll be doing it until we go Home to be with The Lord. So, I look in the mirror, realize my own need for cleansing, get that taken care of, and then I pray about helping others do the same.