JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Ask, Seek, and Knock Continuously!

• 2 months later...
Q1. (Matthew 7:1-2) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? What distinguishes them from each other? Does one word convey more intensity than another? What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

"Ask" indicates a petition. " Seek" however, indicates a search for something that is either lost or has not yet been found or discovered.The verb Zeteo, " try to find something, seek, look for," with the possible additional sense of "devote serious effort to realize one's desire or objective, strive for, aim ( at ), to obtain, desire, wish ( for )."

" Seek, and you will find, " Jesus says. The seeking is a maturing process, A sifting process, If we continue and don't give up becomes a single-minded Quest to Know God. We are not to give up because we will find Him if we seek Him with all our heart.

The third command is "Knock, and the door will be opened to you." Basically, knocking is confined to closed doors, not open. You've faced closed doors in your life. ones you sought desperatly to open or reopen. Some of them you have banged on again and again. But then you learn to try other doors to see which one God will open.

In the New Testament, an "Open door" seems to mean an " opportunity":

( Verse 7 ) suggests aggressive and intensive praying, not for things, but for enablement, The terms ask, seek and knock suggest continual and persistent activity. Rather than persisting at criticism or fruit led evangelism among the hardened, let us pour our efforts into prayer, for God is always willing to help us search our hearts. He is always ready to give us His best, nowhere are we told that God is going to give us all we ask for. Jesus has said that God does not give His children. useless or dangerous things in response to their prayers. What is stressed is that God will always answer our prayers. He will never overlook a request, nor will He respond in a way that is harmful to His child.

If there were ever motivation for prayer, it is in this fact. God is our Father, if we, by faith, have become His Sons and daughters through Jesus Christ, His Son ( John 1:12 ), no request of ours is insignificant to Him, and no request is ignored.

Q1. (Matthew 7:1-2) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? What distinguishes them from each other? Does one word convey more intensity than another? What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

"Ask" indicates a petition. " Seek" however, indicates a search for something that is either lost or has not yet been found or discovered.The verb Zeteo, " try to find something, seek, look for," with the possible additional sense of "devote serious effort to realize one's desire or objective, strive for, aim ( at ), to obtain, desire, wish ( for )."

" Seek, and you will find, " Jesus says. The seeking is a maturing process, A sifting process, If we continue and don't give up becomes a single-minded Quest to Know God. We are not to give up because we will find Him if we seek Him with all our heart.

The third command is "Knock, and the door will be opened to you." Basically, knocking is confined to closed doors, not open. You've faced closed doors in your life. ones you sought desperatly to open or reopen. Some of them you have banged on again and again. But then you learn to try other doors to see which one God will open.

In the New Testament, an "Open door" seems to mean an " opportunity":

( Verse 7 ) suggests aggressive and intensive praying, not for things, but for enablement, The terms ask, seek and knock suggest continual and persistent activity. Rather than persisting at criticism or fruit led evangelism among the hardened, let us pour our efforts into prayer, for God is always willing to help us search our hearts. He is always ready to give us His best, nowhere are we told that God is going to give us all we ask for. Jesus has said that God does not give His children. useless or dangerous things in response to their prayers. What is stressed is that God will always answer our prayers. He will never overlook a request, nor will He respond in a way that is harmful to His child.

If there were ever motivation for prayer, it is in this fact. God is our Father, if we, by faith, have become His Sons and daughters through Jesus Christ, His Son ( John 1:12 ), no request of ours is insignificant to Him, and no request is ignored.

• 3 weeks later...

Ask, seek, knock are all verbs, indicating that the Lord requires genuine faith in action rather than a repititious, slothful show.

Ask would be requesting a specified need from God. Seek is to look for an answer while knock means petitioning Him to open a door of opportunity.

1)The commonality in Ask, seek, knock is that they are all action verbs...implying persistence and perseverence. They are also a "command", and are the key to answered prayer.

2)Yes, the difference is in the level of intensity of the verbs. Like 3 stair steps of progression, and are just the opposite of passivity...which has been my nature.

3)Yes, to "Ask", is a prayer of petition, with expectation of an answer, trusting His timing, and if delayed, He tells us to keep on asking.

To "Seek" is to search with serious effort...implying "Don't give up!'

To "Knock" implies closed doors. The command is to keep on knocking until God opens to us the door He has in mind.

4) I believe He's telling us that there will be some delays, some longer than others, requiring patience and persistence on our part, and in the waiting and continuous seeking and knocking, we will get to know Him more personally as we draw near to Him, as well as giving Him opportunity to develop our character.

I have to say this is true in my own life...I've been asking, seeking, knocking for 30 years for one prayer that is in His will. For others, I've continued for 20 years. I'm still knocking, expecting answers, and in the waiting time He has been developing patience and perseverence...qualities that only develop through long endurance and hardship....(qualities I asked for as a new Christian, that at the time I asked, I thought He would "wave a magic wand" and Suddenly they'd be a part of my character.) Several times I've nearly given up, and He has come in and reaffirmed that He will answer in His perfect time....so I wait on, expecting answers, maybe today, or this week, or next.

The three words ask, seek, and knock are all verbs. Verbs "speak" action. The distinguishing characteristics are that asking implies petition to another...seeking implies action on "your part," and knocking implies perseverance. I believe knocking conveys more intensity...almost as if the answer is "no" or at the very least "unanswered." The significance of the present, continuous, and imperative tense of these verbs is they all require relationship with the Giver of all good things...

All of the words are words calling us to actively do something. When we actively do things we tend to learn better than passively waiting for things to happen. So, when we ask, seek and knock we learn what God answers yes and no to, we find out where to find Him and what doors He opens.

Each seems to increase in intensity since seeking requires more activity, energy and boldness than asking and knocking more than seeking.

The significant of the tense is that it is a continuous action, not a one time thing as in the aorist tense.

Q1. (Matthew 7:7-8) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common?

The one thing they have in common are the words, crave, desire and require. Each of the words have the same meaning.

What distinguishes them from each other?

Progression is what distinguishes them from each other.

Does one word convey more intensity than another?

Yes, each word expressed brings us closer to the door being opened unto us.

Ask, meaning "required" What is required of us? Asking in "faith" - confidence, and it will be given to us; Asking, faith in action, brings us to the "desire" to SEEK after God, we seek, even more than that, we crave to find Him, to have His will be done in our life, that which is for our good, putting "faith" in action; and it brings us to the door, the door that we earnestly knock at, persevering, until the door opens unto us, and it will open, because of persevering "faith"

What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

They show to me "Faith" is a growing process, a continuous, daily walk. My daily goal, my desire is to love Him, why? Because He opened the door to my heart.

They are all actions we can take while keeping our eyes on Jesus.

Ask--make requests known to God in a personal way

Seek--His will in these requests

Knock--to see if God has opened the door for you

Intensity increases in each one.

These actions are never going to be completed--they are continuous.

They are all action words, commands for us to accomplish something. I would think that they might need tobe done in order, seek, knock then ask. We need to seek God with pure hearts, knock pray always, and ask knowing that God wihtholds no good thing from His children. No, they must be done togeather. The tense is present we need to always seek, always knock and always ask, this isour struggle aswe seek tobe faithful to what Jesus hasdone for us.

Ask is to question , seek is to have a earnest desire to get an answer . Knock means to to request for an entrance into Gods throne of grace for a favour

Q1. (Matthew 7:7-8) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? What distinguishes them from each other?

ASK; One of the lessons Jesus is teaching us is to ask for the things we desire, rather than just trying to seize them on our own. One thing we eventually learn as children is that for some things the answer is always, "No." We learn not to ask any further. We also learn that in some areas if we ask, and conditions are right, we will receive.

SEEK: "Ask" indicates a petition. "Seek," however, indicates a search for something that is either lost or has not yet been found or discovered

KNOCK Basically, knocking is confined to closed doors, not open ones. You've faced closed doors in your life, ones you sought desperately to open or reopen. Some of them you have banged on again and again. But then you learn to try other doors to see which one God will open.

Does one word convey more intensity than another?T think knock does. What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs? Each of the commands in verse 7 are in present tense imperative, and therefore stress continued, persistent action.

Q1. (Matthew 7:7-8) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? What distinguishes them from each other? Does one word convey more intensity than another? What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

These words tell us to persist in pursuing God. People often give up after a few halfhearted efforts and conclude that God cannot be found. But knowing God takes faith, focus, and follow through, and Jesus assures us that we will be rewarded.

We should not give up our efforts to seek God. We should continue to ask Him for more knowledge, patience, wisdom, love, and understanding. He will give them to us.

Persistence, or boldness in prayer overcomes our insensitivity

The words ask, seek, and knock share a commonality that they are all words of action. They require that we perform them all together in prayer when asking of the Father. How we distinguish them is that we must first ask of Him in petition, then we shall seek what we have asked, then we knock so the doors will be open.

They are all action words. If you do something you will get something in return. Petitioning, searching, and finding. Yes seek, seems to be more intense. We are always seeking something but never give up the search. You get the next after you do the previous with persistence.

What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common?

They all refer to looking (seeking) more - rather than standing stagnant. They are about searching for more of God.

What distinguishes them from each other?

ask - is a petition

seek - is a search for things unfound

knock - is for opportunities

Does one word convey more intensity than another?

I think seeking is hard and more intensive than the others - we can become frustrated and despondent - we want to give up especially if we have been seeking something for a long time.

What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

It is a continuous action - we always need to be asking for more - seeking more of Him - knocking for new opportunities. It is ongoing!

Q1. (Matthew 7:7-8) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? Action on our part.

What distinguishes them from each other? One we use our mouth. One we use our eyes and one we use our hands to get the job done.

Does one word convey more intensity than another? Well the book does say to pray without ceasing. This is our prayer when we ask for something and then we are to seek the answer. We aren't supposed to just go on about our business and wait for the answer to suddenly appear, although sometimes, we do see the answer quickly and clearly, but only if we are looking. We must never quit knocking on His door. If we fail to do so, we might not see Him glorified. It isn

ASK THE LORD FOR WHAT YOU WANT..SEEK ..LOOK FOR SIGNS IF IT IS IN GOD'S WILL ..YOU WILL GET IT..KNOCK...KEEP ON KNOCKING UNTIL YOU GET A ANSWER ..DON'T GIVE UP..THEY ARE ACTION VERBS ,,WE ASK WE SEEK ,,AND WE KNOCK.. FOR GOD TO ACT UPON IF IT IS IN HIS WILL!!!

Ask, seek and knock are all actions that we do in relation to God, our Father. The word ask is a prayer request. For example, I may ask that God will show me ways to love Him more. Then I may seek, through scripture, God's will for my life and once I find a ministry that is His will, I may knock on the door to move into that area. The present tense imperative means that we continue with what we are doing

That the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common are first, they are active doing, they are not processing by themselves, they need the activeness of a person who does them; second, they are done by a person in order to get something that he/she needs, third, they need efforts to do them, and fourth, only God can fulfill what a person ask, seek, and knock.

That distinguishes them from each other are first,

The three words "ask", "seek" and "knock" have in common the fact that they all call for persistance. We should never give up asking God for what we want nor seeking our desires nor knocking on His door until we are successful.

Ask means we expect God to reply while in seeking there is personal pro-activity. God promises that if we really search for what we want without giving up, we can find it. We should not remain in one place but should go out and look until we are rewarded. Knocking is about taking advantage of our opportunities. If one does not work out then we should try the next one.

In my view they are all equally powereful and each can meet our point of need. However I think I like the one on kncking because it is denoting that I should not just sit there but try all I can until I'm successful. I think this onr spurs you on a lot more

The thing that the words "ask", "seek", and "knock" have in common is that Jesus used these three words to indicate that desire would be met if prayed in faith.

What distinquishes them from each other is "ask" refers to a simple petition, "seek" indicates a search for something, and "knock" indicates banging on a closed door until it opens.

The significance of the present,continuous,imperative tense of these verbs is that they convey immediate as well as habitual action.