JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Parables of Persistence

• 3 months later...
Q2. (Matthew 7:1-2) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)? How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:1-2?

Our God is faithful The Judge in this parable acted on behalf of the widow because she was wearing him down, not because he was a good judge. But God wants to bless us.

Jesus does encourage us to be persistent in praying for our needs to be met. I believe this is because our constant prayers are our lifeline to God. If God's answer is wait, we can have confidence that the waiting is for a good reason. By being persistent, we are keeping in touch and growing in stature as one of His blessed children. We will be blessed in God's time, if not in ours; and the blessing will be glorious. ( Luke 18: 1-8 )

The first example which our Lord gave us is a rather humorous one, when you try to visualize it. One man has an unexpected guest arrive at his home , and he is without bread to give him. Even though it is midnight, he goes to the house of a friend to ask to borrow bread. His friend is already in bed, perhaps the same bed as his children. There may be animals in the room, as there often was ( and still is in some parts of the world ). The friend in bed would have quickly given the bread if it was not so late, and if it would not disturb the whole household. But even though man in bed protests, the man in need boldly persisted , which prompted his friend to get up, open the door, and give him what he was seeking, the bread for which he asked.

If this man's request was granted, due to his persistence, even though it was most inconvenient, then persistence in seeking what one truly needs must pay off. ( Luke 11: 5-10 )

Jesus tells us to examine our own motives and conduct instead of judging others. The traits that bother us in others are often the habits we dislike in ourselves. Our untamed bad habits and behavior patterns are the very ones that we most want to change in others. Check to see if you deserve the same criticism. Judge yourself first. and then lovingly forgive and help your neighbor. ( Matthew 7: 1-2 )

• 3 weeks later...

Tied up into a neat little bundle this is all about faith demonstrated by persistence. To quote a song whose credits escape me: "He's an on time God yes He is. He may not come when you want Him but He'll be there right on time." I once prayed for a obstacle to be removed from my path and it was ten years before I received the answer that I had petitioned for. It turns out that that obstacle was a test for me and God was using it to prepare me for leadership in His ministry. I had become more mature as a man and as a Christian because I was able to endure not to mention how my faith grew as well.

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)? How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:7-8?

1)I believe the lesson Jesus is teaching us is to pray, and to keep on praying, never giving up until the answer comes, when He decides the timing is perfect.

2)These parables are an illustration of His teaching in Matthew 7:7-8....that when we ask, we are to persist in asking and we will receive; if we continue to seek we will receive what we are seeking, and if we knock, the door on which we have persisted in knocking will be opened to us.

During long years of walking with the Lord, He has used delays to change my character, to crucify my flesh, to test my motives and my mettle, and has purified my desire for what I asked for in the first place.... He has also been working in the lives of my family and those around me, as He prepares all of us for His answers and His timing.

oops, sorry...don't know how to eliminate this screen...don't know what I did wrong.

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)?

We are to continue to pray and not give us. Perhaps when we first ask, it is not the right time but we are continue to pray and when it is right in God's time, our prayer will be answered if it is in God's will.

How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:7-8?

This same lesson as above is given in this scripture. We are to ask, seek and knock and continue in prayer until our request is in God's time and in God's will. :P

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)? How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:7-8?

To be persistent to keep praying or asking. They are the same instruction, seek, knock,ask. If we want God's blessing we must continue to seek first His rightousness, knock, Jesus said I stand at the door and knock, How can we not do likewise, and we must continue to ask God for the desires of our hearts which is what every father wants from their children. God wants our faithfulness and we show that when we continue to seek, knock,and ask.

To quote an old one -- Ya gotta keep on keepin' on...

Persistence...is key...sometimes it is a matter of just really being persistent...and that alone is the lesson learned.

Q1. (Matthew 7:7-8) What do the words "ask," "seek," and "knock" have in common? What distinguishes them from each other? Does one word convey more intensity than another? What is the significance of the present, continuous, imperative tense of these verbs?

These words tell us to persist in pursuing God. People often give up after a few halfhearted efforts and conclude that God cannot be found. But knowing God takes faith, focus, and follow through, and Jesus assures us that we will be rewarded.

We should not give up our efforts to seek God. We should continue to ask Him for more knowledge, patience, wisdom, love, and understanding. He will give them to us.

Persistence, or boldness in prayer overcomes our insensitivity

The lesson taught here is persistence in prayer. We are to keep on request before God as we live day by day, believing that He will answer. When we live by faith, we are not to give up. God may delay answering, but His delay always have good reasons. As we persist in prayer, we grow in character, faith, and hope.

The lessons taught in the Parable and The Widow are that we are to be presistant in our request. They relate to the commands in Matthew because we are to be presistant in asking, seeking, knocking. Don't give up! But remember to be patient.

To be constant.... We must be persistent in our actions, continually asking in prayer and believing in faith that God will answer in His time, not ours.

Do not judge or you will be judged in the same way------ Take and accept what you are searching for. Do not doubt or question, as Christ has assured us that we will receive.

Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)?

The persistance of prayer -> to continue to ask, seek, knock until we get an answer. We shouldn't give up but remain persistant.

If we don't ask we won't receive

If we don't seek we won't find

If we don't knock the door won't open.

God has called us to ask, seek and knock not only when we want something but until we receive His answer.

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10)and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)?

LUKE 11:5-10 - Jesus is teaching us the importance of having a prayer life. Jesus story is about a man who is reluctant to crawl over his children to get to the door that is closed, but, we know our Father never sleeps (Psalm 121:3) He is always ready to hear our knocking at His door.

Jesus now brings us to the 2nd part of the story, the importance of a "persistent" prayer life.

What we might want today, may not be what we want tomorrow; so as we continue to go before Him with our requests, and they are not answered as we would like, we know our Father is still there, and He will open the door at the right time, or, He might leave the door shut, why? because we asked amiss, or, it would not be for our good.

Why should we continue to knock? He loves hearing from us, for in the end it is seeking after Him that we "crave" all along, and that He craves hearing from us. It is called, RELATIONSHIP, BONDING. :P

LUKE 18:1-6 is a story about a widow who went before a judge,a judge that did not fear God, nor did he have any regard for her well being. However, because of her constant pleading, and begging, the judge heard her case.

We do not have to plead, or beg God, what we have to do is, ASK, SEEK, KNOCK. This is not begging, for we know our God is not an unjust judge, He is a loving Father, and we are His children.

This is why we are persistent at knocking at His door, persistant at seeking after His will in our lives. It is because of persistence, our continuing in "faith" that we continue to knock, why? because we know our being is dependent on Him. Thank you, Jesus. :rolleyes:

They are related to the command in Matthew 7:7-8 by our PERSISTENCE, staying in "love" with our God, and staying in "faith." Persistence is faith in action. -- Ask, stay in "faith" - Seek, "worshipping God" - knock, anticipating His opening the door, knowing when He does, it will be at the right time, and for our good. ;)

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of

the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust

Judge (Luke 18:1-6)? To not give up.

How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:7-8? To keep moving God by petition, and not let up because we are told to pray without ceasing, so He must like to listen. We know that this is so true because Jesus always led by example. He would not ask of us anything that He Himself would not do. Mark 14: 35-39

And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. And again he went away, and prayed, and

Q2. (Matthew 7:7-8) Which lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6)? How do these relate to the commands in Matthew 7:

WE HAVE TO BE PERSISTENT OF WHAT WE WANT FROM GOD !!!!!!!MATTHEW SAID WE SHOULD FALL INLOVE WITH GOD .... AND ASK SEEK AND KNOCK. KEEP ON PRAYING!!

The lesson that is taught is that when something is important enough we won't give up until we get results. The commandment in Matthew 7: 7-8 also says to keep on pursuing if something is important.

The lesson is taught in both the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) and the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6) is the one of we are to continue to pray and not give up

These relate to the commands in Matthew 7:7-8 in the way as follows. The lessons in these and in Matthew 7:7-8 have the same idea, that is, to continue to do, not give up because each of the commands in Matthew 7:7-8, that is, ask, seek, and knock, are in present tense imperative, it means that they are continued, persistent actions.

The issue at the centre of the parable of the Friend at Midnight and the Window and the Unjust Judge is that of persistence in all our efforts Both of them get their results at the end. This relates to the command "knock and the door shall be opened unto you" and " Ask and it shall be given unto you" as found in Matthew 7:7-8.

The lesson that is taught in both these parables is that we are to continue to pray and never give up.

These parables relate to the commands of Mathew 7:7-8 in that they are examples of persistent prayer.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Parables of the Friend at Midnight (Luke 11:5-10) the lesson tautht here is persistence, in the Widow and the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-6) again the lesson conveyed persistence, as in Matthew 7:7-8. The point is to continue to pray, and not to give up. Ask! Seek! Knock!