JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

A faith that bears fruit is the faith that God wants. The only way to live is to have FAITH in Jesus Christ (John 11:25). The restoration of the damaged relationship we have with the Father is only JUSTIFIED by believing in Christ Jesus. For me Justification is the reason why God the Father will accept us back. It is something which gives us credibility to say to the father " I am your lost sheep. recognize me because your Son know me. :huh:

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness

What a question to with which to start this course! - the answer to which is basic to our understanding of the Christian life. I understand Justification as being the work of God through which we, as sinners, are treated by God as being "righteous". This righteousness is not earned by us. It is based completely and solely upon Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. We receive it through faith alone.

God pronounced Abraham to be in right standing with Himself, acceptable in His eyes, because Abraham believed all that God had told and promised him. He was willing to establish the rest of his life on his confidence in Yahweh. This faith was the means through which this pardon from God was extended.

Our rightful death sentence is forgiven now because of God's grace in fully accomplishing all that He promised through His Law and Christ's perfect completion of that Law. Every believer's moment of pardon comes through this same means of faith - complete trust in all that God has promised and reliance on Him to make good.

I've always like the little phrase "just as if I'd never sinned". To be justified is to be declared "not guilty" of being an enemy of God - seen as one who never transgressed Him at all! What a miracle since I truly was an enemy of God, the complete opposite of His moral purity and holiness, completely deserving His wrathful judgment. But He was willing to excuse that when I became willing to be consumed by His love, transformed by His Spirit within me, and covered by the holiness of Christ. All of that happens through one means: honest faith that changes the way I think and live. Hebrews 11:6 clearly shows us that such faith is the only thing from humanity that pleases God and allows a person to draw near to Him.

I just wanted to add these thoughts about being justified from Brennan Manning:

Justification by grace through faith means that I know myself accepted by God as I am. When my head is enlightened and my heart is pierced by this truth, I can accept myself as I am. Genuine self-acceptance is not derived from the power of positive thinking, mind games, or pop psychology. It is as act of faith in the God of grace.

That’s from The Ragamuffin Gospel, page 46. On the very next page, Brennan Manning adds:

The acceptance of self does not mean to be resigned to the status quo. On the contrary, the more fully we accept ourselves, the more successfully we begin to grow. Love is a far better stimulus than threat or pressure.”

To me, to be justified would mean to have qualified for the right of something, or having a sufficient reason to be so. In this case the sufficient reason would be Christ dying for our right and we qualify by believing in Him

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

1 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God." (5:1-2)

Faith is our only means to justification, we can not doing anything to bring about our own righteousness of justification, we are totally dependant om God and His grace and mercy. If we are to be justified then we must have faith in Christ that the Father will finish the work He has begun in us to the day of completion. Being justified means being found not guilty of sin we are a sinful people and God has blessed us by giving us a way out and that way is by faith in His Son Jesus.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

I am justified, found innocent before God because, I believe what God said and did.

I believe in the God of Abraham, that God raised up Yeshua our Lord from the dead;

Understanding the reason He raised Him up was, the perfect work Yeshua did on the cross.

My "faith" my "confidence" is found only in Father God and my Lord Yeshua.

just what does it mean to be justified?

Justification is a judicial term. It is legally separate from practice in that I can be justified independent of practice. Perhaps I have exemption of judgment because the judge has favor on me or because I bribe the judge. In either case I can be justified independent of my transgressing a certain law. Justification is the opposite of being framed. Witness Ro. 4:5

But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

Further the following dyad further exposes the jurisprudential nature of justification--independent of actions

but where there is no law, there also is no violation. Ro. 4:15

and

sin is not imputed when there is no law. Ro. 5:13

Finally couple the above dyad with

BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT Ro. 4:8

and

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. (Ro. 8:2)

and you will see that whom the Son sets free, shall be free indeed. :rolleyes:

1) Abrahams relationship was his belief in God, Which God gave him justification & made him righteous.

2) Our relationship between faith and justification, comes from our belief in Jesus christ who died for our sins.

3) To be justified you are : Let off, aquited, pardoned, righteous...in the eyes the lord

Abraham had to work on his forgiveness. He had to show his faith. This is why God counted his a rightous man, because of his faith. It gives the impression he had to continue showing his faith to continue being forgiven.

Jesus changed everything. Through Jesus and accepting Jesus Christ, we are vindicated, unable to be tried again for the same sin.

Abraham's belief in the promises of God, regardless of what he saw or lived or experienced is what made him righteous in the eyes of God. What an incredibly powerful verse this is for me. "Against all hope Abraham yet believed" and because of this he was counted as righteous. This is the level of faith I seek after. This is the level of faith I believe is needed to truly live a Christ centered life; to believe despite what you "know", as I remember hearing Juanita Bynum say that "faith is believing when common sense is telling you otherwise" and I have never forgotten those words.

The work of righteousness is peace; and the effect of righteousness is our assurance forever. The righteousness is Christ in us and all the work that He has done, not what we have done or ever will do. Our part is believing in Him and what He did, all purely by faith. I am free from guilt and the penalty of sin, through my faith in Jesus, who did all the work. It is our conduct of how we yield to the Holy Spirit

Added: Even though we have peace through God, we still face daily problems and it is through this process, that we become more and more Christ like.

For Abraham it was Believing and knowing what he believed was true. (4:3)

Faith is believing in God and knowing that he is God. Justification is knowing what you believe is true. (5: 1-2)

Justified Means to be set free of all wrong doing's on your behalf for your believing in the lord thy God and only the Lord thy God.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

Faith is the a key to salvation because:

1. Faith eliminates the pride of human effort, because faith is not a deed that we do

2. Faith exalts what God has done, not what we do

3. Faith admits that we can't keep the law or measure up to God's standard- we need help.

4. Faith is based on our relationship with God, not our perfomance for God.

Abraham's faith pleased God.He believed the Lord, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.

Although Abraham demonstrated his faith through his actions, it was his belief in the Lord, not his actions, that made Abraham right with God.

We, too, can have a right relationship with God by trusting Him. Our outward actions-Church attendance, prayer, good deeds- will not by themselves make us right with God. A right relationship is based on Faith- the heartfelt inner confidence that God is Who He is Says He is and does not what He says He will do.

God desires dependence, trust, and faith in Him- not faith in our ability to please Him

To be justified, means that all the sins of the past have been totally erased as though the individual in question never committed them. The person is justified - made right with God.

Faith and Justification are directly related, they go hand in hand, there is no justification without faith.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen; that is perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses (Amplified).

So the direct result of confidence in God is justification or given a place of that I don't deserve in standing before a Holy God. And this is given through Jesus Christ who has clothed me in His righteousness.

Wow, thank you Lord!