JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Died with Christ - Myth or Reality?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3,Romans 6:1-7 Paul is not talking about our physical death;I believe he is talking about our personal sin death.Dying to sin.We look upon our old self as dead.We are now alive to God,through the death of his Son Jesus Christ,who now lives in us;His death becomes our own.This is the change God makes in our life as we grow in faith.We know longer desire our old ways of sin,they are dead.We now consider ourselves to be what God has in fact made us.I do know that to a degree that this theology,or mumbo -jumbo does have some basis in reality.To put it all in my words, I do know, that I do have, a new life in reality with Jesus Christ.

As Paul refers to a believer's "death" to sin, it is not a literal actual death, but a figurative one. He is speaking of the historical real death of Christ, to which we have been joined when the Holy Spirit united us to Him when we professed saving faith in Jesus Christ. This is how the death becomes our own, as we are identified with Him as our Head and accept being fused into His body.

This figurative death has a basis in reality because it means that the power of sin over my life and eternal future has been demolished! This reality is an element of the unseen world, which 2 Corinthians 4:18 says is real and eternal, not the transient world we can see with our natural eyes. When I understand this truth to be reality, it changes my view of the world and my life. In my everyday reality, I don't have to live in spiritual defeat or doubt or destruction or insecurity. What I am called to live is a willingness to accept the fundamentals and impact of the death of Christ to be applied to what I think and feel and desire - my soul and body. Enabled by the Holy Spirit, this is my living out of His death to sin.

Q3. (Romans 6:1-7) Is Paul referring to a figurative "death" to sin, or to a kind of historical, actual death? Whose death is he talking about? How does this death become our own? To what degree is this just theological mumbo-jumbo or does it have some basis in reality?

Paul was referring to the death of all believers. Paul is talking about the death of Christ but he is also talking about our death. for we all have sinned, and the wages of sin is death.

this death becomes our own, for we died we Christ (Rom.6:8a) His death is also our death.

Q3. (Romans 6:1-7) Is Paul referring to a figurative "death" to sin, or to a kind of historical, actual death? Whose death is he talking about? How does this death become our own? To what degree is this just theological mumbo-jumbo or does it have some basis in reality?

What is being said here, I think, is that we must have faith to believe that we are free from sin and death. When we are baptized, we are taking on Jesus as our life leader. He is now our Head. He is our Shepherd. We want Him to lead us to the promised land. We are saying, "I have died with Christ-soon, I'll be raised with Him." It is hard for me to say right, but I believe that I am one with Christ, and He is my Boss, if that makes sense. He leads me. What I do now I do to make Him look good. I want my life to glorify Him and His Name. ;)

I had always believed that He meant that if we were in Christ that we would sin no more. For myself Iknow that this is not the case because I sin in some fashion every day wheather it isgetting mad at my wife or some one on the road or at work I can't keep the love of Christ in my heart all the time. We are starting a study of the ten commandments at church the law condemns us for it shows us our sin and makes us realize that with out Jesus we have no hope. I think that He is talking about the death of Christ and not our physical death. It has a reality to it in that it causes us to stop and think and then test our own faith against the law because as I said above without Christ we have no hope.

Well he is referring to a figurative death when he's referring to us, as we did not actually die to sin, Christ did however die for all our sins. He was talking about Christs death but as we are in union to Christ through baptism this is symbolic,we also died that day, to sin as he died for our sins.

I don't think it is just theological mumbo-jumbo i think this is a strong symbolic enactment in our lifes with Christ.

Paul is speaking of a complete change in our lifestyles bought for us by our new Master, Jesus. We are dead, figuratively speaking, to the control or domination of sin in our lives. Jesus died for our sins--paid the price for them--so we could live in righteousness. Our desires are for Christ now and pleasing God. Sin has no place in that holy relationship.

1. Paul is talking of a figurative "death" to sin.

2. Paul is talking about the Risen Lord and His death, burial and resurrection.

3. When we first believe that Christ has died for our sins and we ask to be forgiven of our sins, we then are forgiven because of His death, burial and resurrection. His shed blood washes away our sins never to be seen again by our Heavenly Father at the time of repentance. We are then born again into the kingdom of God. We are no longer seperated from Him. There is still a key to stay connected to this work of the kingdom and that is to stray from sin by staying repentive and learning to live holy as He is holy.

God has left us with no excuse to stay the way we are. If His life is truly reining in us how can we stay the same. Our love for Him inside us makes us want to change and makes us want to grow into His likeness. I question ones who claim to be born again, but yet they never change. I've seen ones die in Him and yet they never changed. How?

4. To some that refuse the call of God and refuse to recognize Jesus as The Son of God it is thought and taught to be theological mumbo-jumbo. We can read that in the Gospels, hear of it in other religions, hear it on the media and read in all forms of printed disbelief.

The bases of reality can only be found as reality by the regenerated work done in our hearts then in our minds. Once we get it in our hearts then we should start to change our minds because we will see Christ as He really is and what He was really sent to do.

Let's all give Him praise and honor for what He has done!

Q3. (Romans 6:1-7) Is Paul referring to a figurative "death" to sin, or to a kind of historical, actual death?

I see "death" to sin as literal, if it is by "faith" I believe Christ has paid the debt, acquitted me from deaths claim on me,

I must believe that it, "sin" will no longer keep me in its bondage to serve sins desires.

Whose death is he talking about?

I believe Paul is talking about the "old man" - for by faith in Christ's work, the old man is dying,

I am now free, I am now able to serve Him.

How does this death become our own?

Death to sin has become a reality to me - it is because of Christ.

Sin is no longer my master, Christ has released me from its hold, it is because of the Messiah that I have received strength,

the Holy Spirit, to come against the powers of this world.

To what degree is this just theological mumbo-jumbo or does it have some basis in reality?

It is "FAITH" not mumbo jumbo that makes it a reality. The reality is seen in ME, I am being changed into a new creation,

I am growing stronger, and I have praise on my lips - for He has set me FREE!

Q3. (Romans 6:1-7)

Is Paul referring to a figurative "death" to sin, or to a kind of historical, actual death?

Paul is referring to the fact, that the moment we gave our lives to Jesus, we died with Christ on the cross. Not only has our penalty been paid, bt sin no longer has a stranglehold on our lives. We are no longer the helpless captives of sin; we are no longer slaves to sin.

Whose death is he talking about?

He is talking about the death of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The actual union with Christ took place over 2000 years ago, and when Jesus died to sin, he died as our Representative

Paul is meaning that once you have CRICIFIED OUR old ways (sins) and have repented, the dead person must be buried. Baptism, and a burial in water, equates with the death, and burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is the Biblical way to be born again

Jesus' crucifixion is a historical fact as is His death and resurrection. When we are baptised we are done so to His death which then becomes our own, killing the old creation and raising up a new one.

This transformation is as real a life itself as those of us who have be regenerated will attest.

I think Paul could be referring both to figurative death and the historical death of Jesus. He is our representative and His death becomes our own as we identify with Him when we trust Him for our salvation. This has far reaching real-world application to how we live out our daily lives as new creations. But we will also eventually die literally and be raised with Jesus with new sinless bodies.

PAUL IS REFERRING TO ACTUAL DEATH. PAUL IS TALKING ABOUT OUR DEATH. THIS DEATH BECOMES OUR OWN IN THE SENSE WHERE WE CAME TO AFAITH IN CHRIST AND BAPTIZE INTO UNION WITH CHRIST.WE ARE UNITED WITH CHRIST IN HIS DEATH AND IN HIS BURIALAND ALSO IN HIS RESURRECTION.

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THEOLOGICAL MUMBO-JUMBO, BUT WHAT I KNOW IS THIS IT DOES HAVE SOME BASIC IN REALITY, IS THAT CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS FOR ME,SO WHEN I CAME INTO CONTACT WITH JESUS I WAS NO LONGER A SLAVE TO SIN, SIN HAS NO DOMINION OVER ME ANYMORE, I AM FREE THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS.

I don't think he is talking about our death but our death to sin with Christ. We died to sin when Christ was crucified. It has a basis in reality in that we have to live a righteous life like Christ.

By our being baptized into Christ, we are united with Him. We are united with His death, which was a historical, physical event. He is talking about two deaths: the death of Christ on the cross, and the death of our 'old man', or sinful nature, when we accept Christ as our saviour. We must embrace Christ's death through our faith.

It is the actual death to sin. I believe that Paul is talking about Jesus' physical death that brought about our spiritual death to sin. We are made up of spirit, soul(mind) and body (a kind of "tri-entities"). When we are born again we are united with Christ esentially in our spirit. The old spirit is dead (the old man is dead) and our sinful nature is shattered. Now our spirit is made completely new (resurrected) and my old sin-loving nature is buried with Christ. My spirit is a new man (holy) now connected with the spirit of Christ. But my soul and body are not yet come to that state. Once we allow the spirit to work in us the soul and body will gradually change to "christ-likeness" by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the process of sanctification (becoming like Christ).

It is not a theological mumbo-jumbo. It is the faith matter and a believer can feel and live in that reality. That is my experience and I enjoy living in that experience of reality. I do not have to have a complete explanation in my mind to have faith in something. I feel in my spirit and then obey God's call. For example, I do not understand how my digestive system exactly works. Because I do not unerstand, I do not go on without eating. I eat and it digests. I like to use the same argument here. I feel this reality in my spirit and I believe and enjoy His spiritual leading. As a consequence my eternal life (to be with Jesus) is secured. If I keep argueing in my mind and keep on unbelieving this reality then who is the loser? ME!!!!

Q3. (Romans 6:1-7) Is Paul referring to a figurative "death" to sin, or to a kind of historical, actual death? Whose death is he talking about?

Paul is referring to the historical, actual death of Jesus and our death to enslavement to sin.

We who are in Christ, have become one with Him by sharing a death like His, which baptism signifies.

To what degree is this just theological mumbo-jumbo or does it have some basis in reality?

It is a fact...when we became believers and followers of Christ, our old unrenewed self was nailed to the cross with Him in order that our body which is the instrument of sin might be made ineffective and inactive for evil, that we might no longer be the slaves of sin. For when one dies, he is freed, loosed, delivered from the power of sin among men. Amp. V 6,7.

Death to sin or to a kind of historical actual death? Dying to sin ,"We die to sin , the question asked is how can we live in sin any longer? When all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death . That to me means that when I sin wheather I no or don't no sin by omission or comission Iam not content with the peace of God until I ask for forgiveness of my sin's and until I repent , I am not at peace.

Jesus Christ died on the cross and now all of us who beleive and put all our trust in Him we were therefore buried with Him through baptism into His death.

Jesus Christ death on the Hill of Golgotha upon that rugged cross gave us access to the power of His Sweet Sweet Holy Spirit and overwhelming power, Praise The Lord Thank You Jesus for Your Holy Spirit , He is real, real, very real to me, Oh yes He give me the victory, Some people may dought Him but I can't live with out Him, that is how I see the reality of the dying and rising in Christ Jesus.

In these verses 1-7 Paul is referring to a spiritual death. in us . and to the actural physical death

of Christ in past history. Our spiritual death is talked about in figurative terms but it is a reality in the

spiritual realm . our spirit old man dies and our spirit new man comes to life. and we must consider

this a reality in our spiritual life. It is our death and we must submit ourselves to christ and take on

the death of our old man and riseing of our new man to a new birth as a reality. it becomes our own

as we struggle to live our physical lives in a new way . and we can only do this by submitting and relying

on Christs help and God's help as that is where our strength to live this reality will come.

This is not just theological mumbo jumbo but is spiritual reality. and physical reality . God really did become

human while being devine. and he died for a purpose. and we are given a chance to join Him in this reality

but it takes trust and submission and spiritual understanding.

Paul reference to our death to sin is not about our personal death. He means that we are connected to Christ's death by our faith and baptism. It is Christ's own death he is refering to. Christ's death becomes ours when we come to faith in him and are united with him in baptism.

Paul is talking about a historical, actual death because he is talking about Christ's death on the cross. We die to sin when we come to faith in Jesus Christ which unites us in His death, burial and resurrection.

This is not just mumbo-jumbo, it is based in reality,when we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we are identifying with Christ's death in that we die to ourselves, our old way of life, our sin and become a new creation in Christ whom sin's power has been broken. :o