JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Obedience and Sin's Reign

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 6:12) What does obedience have to do with the "reign" of sin?

I think what he is saying here is that,the world is made up of all satan's desires in other words it reigns over the whole planet, therefore before we came to Christ we we're ruled by sin in every way we obeyed satan's evil desires, thus making us slaves to sin, now that we are with the Lord Jesus Christ we are still slaves but slaves to rightousness, we obey not sin but holiness.

Because of the life and power of Christ living within each believer, Paul makes it clear that sin is no longer the authority in our lives. Through our own flesh and through our enemy, the devil, sin screams for obedience (just think about how that extra dessert or new car you don't really need or desire to have selfish fun demands/commands your attention!). But now we are equipped with the ability to resist and reject sin because Christ has destroyed its power and influence.

If we do not let it, sin cannot exert the authority over us to make us obey our debased passions and evil desires. Sin gains control either by our choice or default because we fail to choose. We must constantly decide to submit to the reign of our new authority, Jesus the Christ. We'll always obey the rule of one or the other. Sin can never reign in a believer unless we choose to comply. Our problem, of course, is that we do just that.

As "reign" was defined as the ruler, the one w/ authority, the one w/ dominion.

as "obedience" defined as to follow, to obey, subject to.

If we are under the authority or if sin's ruled in us, what we do is to obey what the one who ruled over us.

what Paul said in Romans For the good that i will to do, i do not do; but the evil i will not to do, that i practice. v19 because sin is the one dwells in our flesh.

The strongest motives against sin, and to enforce holiness, are here stated. Being made free from the reign of sin, alive unto God, and having the prospect of eternal life, it becomes believers to be greatly concerned to advance thereto. But, as unholy lusts are not quite rooted out in this life, it must be the care of the Christian to resist their motions, earnestly striving, that, through Divine grace, they may not prevail in this mortal state. Let the thought that this state will soon be at an end, encourage the true Christian, as to the motions of lusts, which so often perplex and distress him. Let us present all our powers to God, as weapons or tools ready for the warfare, and work of righteousness, in his service. There is strength in the covenant of grace for us. Sin shall not have dominion. God's promises to us are more powerful and effectual for mortifying sin, than our promises to God. Sin may struggle in a real believer, and create him a great deal of trouble, but it shall not have dominion; it may vex him, but it shall not rule over him. Shall any take occasion from this encouraging doctrine to allow themselves in the practice of any sin? Far be such abominable thoughts, so contrary to the perfections of God, and the design of his gospel, so opposed to being under grace. What can be a stronger motive against sin than the love of Christ? Shall we sin against so much goodness, and such love?

Q1. (Romans 6:12)

What does obedience have to do with the "reign" of sin?

We have a tendency to sin and to be corrupt. Therefore Paul reminds us that since we have mortal bodies, which will soon decay, and which is also liable to be overcome by temptation, we must not allow sin to get hold of us and make us slaves to sin again.

It is for this reason that we have to be obedient to His Word, and thereby not let sin reign in our lives.

I remember once hearing or reading "you obey the one you love". If we love sin we will "obey" its call or lure and it will reign over us. If we love God we will obey Him and He will reign in our hearts.

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

To the carnal man sin reign's and their conscience appears clear. To a true spirit filled born again christian the spirit man becomes aware of sin through grace and they begin to understand that the way back to rightouesness is through obedience to the word of God and through a right standing with God.

Sin as we read it stated is "controlled by the devil". If we at conversion do not begin to read the word of God, learn God's ways and listen to the leading and voice of the Holy Spirit then our carnal mind and our flesh will rule us and this will give sin its power and by sinning it gives the devil power. This is why Jesus reburked the Pharisess and called them Whitewash and told them that satan was their father. They knew the laws of God yet they chose not to obey them. They chose to sin against God with their pride and their alleagnce to sin so that they could rule and reign over the people with their sins and they could please Rome so they could dwell well in the land. Rome cared nothing of their rules and cared that they killed their own by their rules or laws.

Sin twist the laws of God, satan twist the laws of God and man will twist the laws of God. There is so much power in sin and so much power in the wrong ways it is applied.

If we are changing and growing with the word of God, we want to be obey Him and He wants to see us obey Him. He knows if we will obey Him, we will eat the good of the land.

The word say's we can chose life or we can chose death and sin will bring death. We must die to self and die to the flesh.

If we at say 20 got born again and at 70 the we haven't changed much and the same sins are ruling our lives then who must be ruling over us. Many will never change because they never read the word of God and they never allowed the Holy Spirit to truly rule and reign in their lives.

Jesus words again; we must be born again. Many take this as saying, " as long as I am born again I am alright" wrong so wrong and so deceived. He is saying to be born again is by the way of the spirit and living in the spirit. Only the way living in the spirit will you inheirt the kingdom of God. So, what must be asked is, " if we never change and if we persecute others because we condemn them for changing and growing, living a life, will righteous we inheirt the kingdom of God.

This is a very serious question and one God will use to judge with to those who left Him no choice to judge! God is love, but God is Judge!

There is so much joy in living life the way of the spirit, knowing if we sin all we have to do is repent, turn of the wickness of it putting it under the blood of Jesus and move on. If we really live in the spirit, we so love Him and want peace with Him that we hurt so much inside that sin can't reign we want let it.

When I lived in sin, sin tossed me about at it's whim. I was at sin's beck and call. When sin demanded of me I did obeisance. When sin kept me from fulfilling my lusts, I cried and shivered. When sin offered me my lusts, I gave up everything in my life to gather them. Sin, my then god, was my master. I allowed sin to reign in my mortal body.

Now, as I have presented myself (my body) to Christ it is He that I respond to, it is He to whom I bow down to, it is He to whom I serve and it is He who never withholds any good thing from me but who gives me all my needful things. It is Jesus Christ who reigns over me.

If we continue to be obedient to SIN, we continue to let SIN reign over us, we allow it to continue to stay strong,

as we continue to walk in weakness.

It is our choice, who will we have rule over us, is it life through obedience to Christ,

or is it death through obedience to Satan? Who holds our allegiance?

Obedience to sin gives the enemy control over us. Satan is the agent of sin. As we submit ourselves to obeying our desires to commit sin, we become slaves to Satan. He then rules us and control us. I will rather submit myself to God and be a slave to the Lord Jesus.

It comes down to, who do you serve? If we willingly serve our flesh, then sin lords it over us. Sin is our master. If, on the other hand, we serve righteousness, then righteousness lords it over us. I want to serve righteousness!

QI.Romans6:12-When our mortal body comes into obedience to sin,it obeys the body's "evil desires.We are really being controlled by the devil.But we must be obedient to God and draw close to our Savior, Jesus Christ;even though we are tempted to sin,we resist the devil and he will have to flee.Jesus gives us that power as we serve Him,not the devil.Therefore sin does not reign over our mortal bodies.We serve a good God,Amen.

Before our conversion the Sin was controlling our spirit, mind and body (all three). When we became born again (Christian - Owned by Christ) our Spirit now is completely renewed and established that divine relationship with the Holy Spirit. Now the Holy Spirit is its master. But our body and soul still holds the freedom of choice. (Our body and mind can either choose to be obedient to our spirit that has the potential to get the direct command of renewal from the Holy Spirit or still be obedient to our old master - Sin).

For our growth towards holiness (sanctification) in body and mind in addition to our spirit we do not let sin to control our body any longer.

THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD ''REIGN'' MEANS TO EXERCISE AUTHORITY, TO DOMINATE ONE LIFE.

PAUL SAID THAT SIN REIGN IN OUR MORTAL BODY, THERFORE WHEN WE WERE ENEMY WITH CHRIST SIN DOMINATE OUR LIVES, WE WERE SLAVE TO SIN WE WOULD GIVE IN TO THE DESIRE OF OUR SINFUL FLESH. BECAUSE OUR MORTAL BODY COMES INTO OBEDIENCE TO SIN IT AUTOMATICAL OBEYS THE BODY EVIL DESIRE. ACTUALLY WE ARE BEING CONTROLLED BY THE DEVIL.

Although we as believers have died to sin, sin is still a problem. The sin principle is still present and can express itself through the mortal body, the body that is subject to death. The difference is that sin has no right to reign. Paul admonishes the believer not to obey. We are to be obedient to God.

When we were under the sin of disobendience we felt unto our own desires of the flesh therefore we were slaves unto the bondage of sin and the devil the master of sin, But when we became unto obedience to Christ Jesus we are dead unto sin because Jesus Christ paid for all our sins on the cross , Now we are a live to God through Christ Jesus and we are no longer under the master of sin , But under the victory of God through Christ Jesus whom has all power in His hand and reign over sin.

In order for sin to "reign", we must be obedient to it. Otherwise it has no diminion or power over us.

Every thing we do and say is a choice. We can choose God's way or the enemies way-sin, but there is no neutral ground.

God has given us His laws and His commands so that we can have the best life possible. He has laid out His blessing for us each day and all we have to do is choose it.

The difficulty for us as human beings is that sin is our nature. Before we are saved, we dont have to plan how to sin, it comes naturally to us. A baby does not have to learn how to throw a tantrum when it does not get it's way, it is natural.

But when we put off the old man and give our hearts and minds to Christ, we must learn new ways. We must allow God to change our Spirit by changing our habits.

This speaks of choice or decision in whether or not we allow sin to rule as King in our mortal bodies..."Do not let sin..." We are told to take a stand and to bring our flesh under the rule of our Savior and King, in obedience to His Word, rather than passively allowing our flesh to dominate our spirit and lead us into the lusts of the flesh and disobedience to God's revealed Word.

I love this question! It's just what I need today. My flesh has been passively giving in to ailments and attacks from Satan to avoid exercise, working on my book about God's miraculous provision for our family during homelessness and wilderness years after losing our business, and just general lethargy. Forgot for awhile that I can choose to bring the flesh under subjection! "Flesh, you WILL worship, You WILL exercise, You WILL write today.....thank you Jesus that we are more than conquerors in You.!!!

The duty of willingness. Willing to serve sin rather than God. Pleasing Satan rather than God. So if we please satan he is our God but if we please the Lord of all then we are obedient to him. Wanting and willing to please him.

How do we break the circle of sin? How do just stop serving this Master. Sin. If we all have sinned then do we not all serve sin. Lord help me to be obedient to you and serve only you!

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

If you are living a life of sin then you are obeying the devil and he is your master. you have to be obedient to some one either the devil in sin or to God through righteousness.

If we allow ourselves to be drawn to sin, we are, in Paul's words, 'obdeient to sin', and sin is reigning over us. Satan has taken control of our will, and we commit sin after sin after sin. It is as an addiction to us. We must trust in God, meditate on the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, to strengthen our will so that we overcome the reign of sin.