JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Offering Our Members to God

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Present, offer, or yield - they all add up to a willingness to draw near and make yourself available for use. When you stand up next to and align yourself with someone, it's generally a sign of agreement or a show of support. In regard to sin, we do this constantly when we ignore or compromise God's Word to us and His character in us. Instead of giving up self and offering all that we are to God, we yield to the tempting call of sin to think, say, and do whatever we want. I do believe that associating with sin can be unconscious in that it's often our default mode. We just don't think about God's command for holiness. We don't cultivate a constant awareness of His power. We don't make deliberate choices about obedience. Some sin can be because of ignorance, but most often we know, at least in general principles.

One of the most important ways to begin to offer myself fully to God is to gain His discernment and wisdom that comes from studying His Word to me. There I'll gain greater insight to spot even the hidden sin that hides in my heart. I need to ask God at the start of every day to help me see myself as I really am so that I will develop greater awareness of the subtle temptations to offer myself to sin. And when the Holy Spirit quietly prompts or challenges me (as I have experienced), I have to make the choice to listen and act obediently, not ignore or rationalize.

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day? Why is it that we can sin unconsciously? How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

We offer our hands, our words, our hearts. Before i was with the lord i used to fight, be abusive in lots of different ways my heart at the center was really good though at times i did not really show it, i could be driving and someone would cut me up and i would just explode, or in a pub someone would do something i didn't like or approve of and i would react but in the wrong way.

Now i'm walking with the Lord i'm really passive, i'm not interested in fighting, im not abusive, rarely i may swear but this i am trying hard not to do as before it was like second nature to me. My heart always wanted to be good and to help others but i was to busy in the world, now i want to help people, be kind to others and do Gods will. We unconciously sin because we don't always think before hand, like if you we're driving and someone cut you up don't start ranting and shouting abuse, We need to need to keep control, i always try to think how Jesus might of delt with this situation.

We can sin unconciously by simply speaking before thinking first or raising a hand before thinking. It says in James 1:19b Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to come angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. We should use our members to deliberately help God like preaching and aiding people physically for example helping people less fortunate than yourself. The changes you need to make in your life is not to be so worldly to follow the system, think more about others instead of yourself giving, loving and doing God's will.

Bad habits may be one reason we can sin unconsciously, but perhaps the biggest reason (for me) is unawareness. When presented with 'how do I offer the members of my body to sin?' my mind draws a blank. I personally need to meditate on Psalm 139:

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my thoughts.

See if there is any wicked way in me,

and lead me in the way everlasting.

What changes in my daily life do I make to begin to offer myself deliberately to God? Besides reviewing the above Psalm, I think where I should start is taming my tongue, as advised in the third chapter of James. "

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day? Why is it that we can sin unconsciously? How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

If we offer our body to be use as instrument of sin, meaning we are willing fully submitting, obeying, agreeing or supporting the wicked things. if we will not applying the word of God into our life, for sure we will sin's, sometimes we sin unconsciously because we don't follow the word that God commanded us, we compromise our faith.

Romans 12:1 said "do not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God"

What changes? first we we have to renewed our mind set, by reading the word of God, by applying it to our life.

We are constantly in situations where we must choose as to whom we will serve. Life forces us to make daily decisions regarding right and wrong and as to whom we will walk in obedience to. Satan is still out there seeking whom he may devour, looking to destroy us. However, we can begin to offer our members deliberately to God by walking in the light that we know is being shed on our paths. We can choose to be obedient in the areas that are clear to us and trust in him, through the Holy Spirit to continue to guide us into all truth. One of the best things we can do is to seriously study His Word for it is a light for our path, a lamp for our feet. (Psalms 119:105) It is His power living in and through us that can keep us from falling.

What we look at, what we desire in our hearts, what we hear-all of these things and more, determine who we serve. For instance, if we watch a movie that has sexual overtones or suggestions, then we are offering our members to sin.

At times, we speak or see or hear something and we will react to it without even thinking, and be offering our members to sin. We won't realize it until after the fact, and then we ask for forgivness.

In order to correct this, we will have to be more concious of what is going on around us, and be able to act accordingly. Even if it takes a little thought, or just walking away, this is what we must do. But it will involve training our thoughts and habits to get this done. Hard work maybe, but worth it, in the end!

Our skills, capabilities, and bodies can serve many purposes, good or bad. In sin, every part of our bodies are vulnerable. In Christ, every part can be an instrument for service. It is the one to whom we offer our service that makes the difference. We are like lasers that can burn destructive holes in steel places or do delicate cataract surgery.

We are to decide and give ourselves completely to God, and ask Him to us to good use for His glory.

I see my day as an opportunity. That is, I can do good and submit entirely to Jesus or, I can do evil and give myself over to sin. Sadly, I am weak and though I try to stay with the good, my nature will have me to sin at some point in time each day, mostly unknowingly.

In my members, mind, body and soul, are locked my human nature. Thoughts and actions often come automatically, without contemplation. As I grow in the Lord, thankfully now more often than not, I fight the good fight by recognizing my errors. Sometimes though, I do not recognize a sin, perhaps a slip of the tongue or some thoughless deed.

Now I understand the need to pray without ceasing, to sing pslams and hymns, to do the work of the saints, to meditate on the Word. When I am fully able to discipline myself in this arena is when I fully give myself over to God. In addition, I recognize the need to ask for forgiveness and revelation of my hidden sins each time I pray for I will not go before our Lord with dirt on my hands.

The blessing here is that our heavenly Father is patient and forgiving. His love is a compassionate love.

Through ones own desires is the way we offer our boby to sin or to God , Our passions causes us to not deliberately do unto wickedness but rather offer ourself unto a life in Christ Jesus and all of His righteousness where we are under submission to the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus.

We can sin and not be aware that we have committed an offense against God. We must do as James was inspired to write "We must resist the devil and he will flee from us taken from (James 4:7). And also we have to repent of our sins that we have committed un-a- ware (unconsicously) sins by omissionas well as by comission.

The change in our daily lives, we must decrease day by day, as we offer the parts of our body to God through Jesus Christ as an instruntment unto His righteousness, This is our reasonable service in order that we can use our hands, our words, our heart, our smiles as instrunments in the building up God's Kingdom.

As I have said before, sin comes naturally to us. We dont have to think about it or plan it. When something happens that we dont like, it is very easy to react in anger. When someone hurts us, it is a natural reaction to lash out.

But when we make Jesus Lord of our lives, we must allow the Holy Spirit to change us. Often this seems to happen from the outside in.

What I mean is that after we become a Christian, we must become aware of our thoughts and actions and take them captive. We must make a concious effort to change. With God's help we can begin to see where we are not in line with Him and make the efforts to bring our hearts and minds into line with Him.

Sometimes He will assist us in very obvious and final ways, other times He allows us to work it out over time.

For example, I was living with a cursing problem. I knew that it wasnt pleasing to God, but I chose those words at first. As time when on, it became so natural to me that I was almost unaware of it and would use the language even at the most inappropriate times. Even though I considered myself a Christian, I thought nothing of the language I used, how it affected others or how it made me look.

But when I finally fully surrendered myself to the Lord, he took that habit from me instantly. I didnt even realize it for a few days, until one of my friends pointed out that I had not been swearing. It was a miracle to me and gave me encouragement and hope. But there are other things that I have struggled with for months or even years before the change was complete.

I think the key to making these changes lies in our willingness to please God. If we are committed to God and truly choose to please Him, He will open our eyes to the things He wants changed. He will convict us, mold us and refine us as we turn to Him. This must be the cry of our hearts and we must stay focused on Him. He is waiting to make these changes and has so much better planned for us than we can ever imagine on our own!

Q2. (Romans 6:13)

In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

We make decisions everyday; either let sin reign or grace reign. If we decide to let grace reign we will, by faith, recognize that we are dead to the Sin Nature. If, however, we make a decision to let the Sin Nature reign, we will end up obeying its lusts.

Why is it that we can sin unconsciously?

Sin is in our genes; in our DNA; it

I look at it this way. Everyone serves God to work out His purposes either in honor or dishonor. When we yield to Him we will serve Him in honor. Not perfect yet that is to come when we go home to be with Him. When we yield to our sin natures in whatever form we serve God in dishonor or you could say we are serving Satan.

We can offer or present our members to God through the power of the Holy Spirit when we know His Word and pray.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

When we use our eyes to look lustfully at the opposite sex, we are using a member of our body to sin. When we use our mouth to curse, blasspheme or say un wholesome words, we also usin that member of our body (mouth/ tongue) to sin.

on the other hand, when we use our moutns to sing praises, utter worship to God, or bless some oneor God, then we are using such a member (our) mouth to serve God.

We can deliberately commit tourselves to the use of the members of our body (hands, legs, eyes, mouths etc) for the service of God by going to Church or fellowship meeting, playing instruments of worship, singing praise and worship etc) and no longer live in obedience to the urge to sin

Obvious ones are our eyes, mouth, hands and of course our minds. The world around us offer us lots of opportunities to offer our body parts to sin. We may have some sickness and we could be praying for healing but when we talk to our friends we may casually saying things like "my father had this decease and my mother had too" like that. In that what we are doing is that we accept that decease and thus showing totally opposite view to what we are praying for. This type of unconcious acts can be possible and hence we need to be quite vigilant and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal our shortcomings promptly.

All of us have deep rooted habits that we acquired through our unconverted days. If we do not deal with them by nailing them to the cross deliberately then it will come out when we are not on our gaurd. That could be seen as unconcious and sometimes as deliberate. Because of our ignorance sometimes we align ourselves with other christians who may be involved in (not obvious) sinful activities.

Changes: We need to listen to the promtings of the Holy Spirit and immediately act on it. We need to repent and ask God to give us that power to overcome. He will do it.

If we do not act on those promtings then we will silence the Holy Spirit eventually and hence we may loose the power to know that we are engaged in unconscious sinful activities. That is a very dangerous situation a beliver can go into!!!

Q2. (Romans 6:13) Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin:

but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of

righteousness unto God.

In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

When we except this covenant with God, through His Son, we are excepting, we come in agreement to live unto Him, a life of righteousness.

God wants all of us, for He gave us His all, His Son; And He gave to us His Spirit, to help us fight the temptation Satan sends our way.

It is up to us, will we offer our members, yield them to Satan, or will we resist temptation, by yielding to the Holy Spirit? It is a daily choice.

God tells us to hide His word in our hearts, that we may not sin against Him. It is a sharp sword that brings to our attention,

changes are to come as we stop living a life in darkness, and start living a new life, being a light unto this world.

How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God?

Our walk with God must begin with DELIBERATELY setting our hearts on not obeying the lusts of the flesh,

and DELIBERATELY setting our hearts on obeying the Holy Spirits lead. It is seen as "love"

What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

Big changes should be taking place in our life! The key word is"Daily" - We are in a process of growing in Christ.

This new life doesn't happen overnight. Satan is still in control of this earth, we are not to be part of this world, even if we are in it.

Not an easy road to walk, this is why we need the Holy Spirit and must rest on the work of the Cross. <_<

Q2. (Romans 6:13) In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

When I choose to follow Christ, in thought, devotions, prayer, loving the unlovely, what I choose to do with my time, who I spend it with, how I speak to others, how I either let my flesh have dominion, or the Holy Spirit to control me....

By not consciously making a decision to allow the Holy Spirit to reign..we can slip into old habits from our B.C. days, watch programs on T.V. or movies that appeal to the flesh, in casual conversation we can enter into gossip or other sin, or ignorance of what is sin due to not knowing the Word of God.

How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God?

By choice! For instance from Q.1 yesterday, I told my flesh: "You will worship even though you don't feel like it! You will spend time writing the book the Lord has called you to write this week even though it's painful and difficult! You will go to the gym and exercise instead of giving into the lethargy and ailments keeping you home!" (I did go to the gym! I did worship! I plan to write on Wed.,Thurs, Sat.)

What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

For me, it's renewing my mind to remember to take authority over the flesh. He removed the yoke of slavery to sin, and tells us to take His yoke upon us, and learn of Him, for He is gentle in heart, and we will find rest for our souls. Mt. 11:29 I was in bondage to the fear of man, due to abuse in childhood. This verse Rom 6:16 changed my life, in that He enabled me to stop allowing others from controling me by seeing the exchange of yokes...His instead of the yoke of sin and fear.

WE OFFER THE MEMBERS OF OUR BODY TO SIN EVERY DAY, WE DO IT IN THOUGHTS OUR ACTIONS. BASICALLY OUR ACTIONS DETERMINES WHO WE REALLY SERVE, THE WORD OF GOD SAID THAT WE SHOULD NOT BE CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD, BUT BE TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND. HENCE EVERYTHING WE DO THAT IS NOT OF GOD E.G LYING STEALING BACKBITING EACH OTHER JUST BEING APART OF ANY THING UNGODLY TELLS THAT YOU GIVES YOUR BODY YOUR SELF TO THE DEVIL.

TO OFFER THE MEMBERS OF YOUR BODY TO GOD MULITIPLE TIMES IN A DAY TAKES FAITH AND A WHOLE LOT OF TRUST, WHEN WE SERVE JESUS CHRIST OUR HANDS OUR WORDS OUR HEART OUR VERY SMILE BECOMES A WEAPON IN THE CAUSE OF THE KINGDOM.AND A GREAT DEAL OF TALKING TO THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, I AM TALKING ABOUT PRAYER. IT DEVELOPES A RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR HEAVENLY FATHER.

BY NATURE WE SIN EVERYDAY THATS IS OUR NATURE,WE ARE NOT PERFECT,BUT BECAUSE OF THE REDEEMING LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST WE HAVE BEEN BOUGHT WITH A PRICE, WE NOW CAN COME TO THE FATHER THROUGH HIS SON JESUS CHRIST,TO BE FORGIVEN AND TO BE MADE FREE SIN CANNOT DOMINATE US ANY MORE.

Believers are not to present the parts of their bodies as a mean of sinning. Ex., Do not use your hands to steal or your tongues to lie. Rather believers should present themselves to God and parts of their bodies as instruments of righteousness. I believe becasue of the desires of the flesh, and the fallen world that we live in, we can sin unconsciously. Therefore we have to be obedient daily, walk daily according to the Word of God. This will become a way of life. This will have a postive affect on our lives and it will become easier. It almost like a habit, we do it without thinking about it, becasue it is what believers do. We know that when we submit to God and resist the devil, he will flee.

Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.

I wish Ihad the answer to the last part of your question pastor, My thought life is where I sin continually where the thoughts that I have toward people who cut me off in traffic or when dealing with people Ijust don't like. I also have lustful thoughts that I can't standbut don't seem to be able to defendmy self from. I pray for help when they come and ask God every morning to give me a pure heart and mind like David in Psalms 51. but they seem to come any way.

People can do this with their moths hands body language etc. By gossiping, stealing , even their thoughts.

Because we were born with a sin nature and the devil working on us. Those two things make it come easy.

Through prayer and being conscious of our actions and keeping our eyes on God. Let the Holy Spirit work through us.

I often feel urges to sin during the day (or night!) - to 'offer members of my body' to sin, or to God, is to make the choice to do Satan's desire or God's desire. Most times I will recite a Psalm or two or three when confronted with an 'opportunity' to sin. There are times when I don't catch myself in time, and then need to repent of a sin, such as cursing the driver who just cut me off in traffic. I find that if I spend more time in prayer and in reading and meditating on the Word, the occurrences of this type of 'knee-jerk' sinful reaction decrease.

The first thing I think of is my tongue. I can use it to praise God or curse the driver ho cuts me off in traffic. I think we can sin unconsciously in the same way we do any habit. We have to stop and repent as soon as we are aware that committed (or are committing) sin. As we deliberately replace old sinful habits with new Christlike actions and attitudes, our unconscious sins will be less and less.

Q2. (Romans 6:13) Why is it that we can sin unconsciously? How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God? What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

Q. In what ways do you "offer the members of your body" to either sin or God multiple times in a day?

Ans: By willingly placing ourselves in servitude either to sin or to God. By allowing sin or God to control us. Whoever we serve, sin or God , we use parts of our body to satisfy the desires of our master.

Q. How can we begin to offer our members deliberately to God?

Ans: By allowing the righteousness of Christ dwell in our heart. If Christ is in us, all that we do is pleasing to God.

Q. What changes will it take in our daily life to do this?

Ans: It will take a repentant heart. A repentant heart bears a changed life.

By watching T.V. or by reading the Bible.

When our eyes look upon things that are not from God or we listen to tainted things.We can turn off the television-open the Word and study God's Word. Serve one another with Godly Love, give praise instead of ridicule, look only on good things, and put yourself in places/situations that are not of the enemy.

Stay away from places that are of the enemy.

Set your mind on things of the Lord.

Resist the urges to turn on T.V.

Pray for strength to overcome bad habits.

Always put God First.