JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. The Identity of the 'I' in Romans 7

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know exactly who Paul is referring to. I've always thought he was describing his personal struggle to overcome the flesh. My cross-references for vs.14 included 1 Kings 21:20,25 and a couple of others that speak of selling yourself to do evil. I can see how this meaning could still apply to a regenerate person, because every time we choose to obey the flesh we have submitted ourselves back under the power of sin. I guess in that sense, any time a Christian lives in the flesh it's a sell-out to sin.

Regardless of who the "I" is here, I do know that I certainly relate to the struggle Paul describes in these verses as I engage in the battle to walk in the Spirit instead of live in the flesh. I have a born-again spirit, but my flesh did not get saved and it continues to draw me into sin that I don't want to do when I slip into self-effort instead of Spirit power. But Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! He is delivering me from this body of death, the flesh that will die.

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25)

Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others?

What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

Initially Paul wrote about himself prior to his conversion. He writes that although we are dead to sin, we are all exposed to the temptations of sin. He goes on to describe his inward conflict with sin, and shows how far short he came of the demands of the law, and that the old nature (flesh), still remains in believers. I now feel that Paul carries on writing about Christians who have not learned to walk by the Spirit. He goes on to describe the struggle between the two natures in a believer. In committing acts against his better judgment the believer concludes that the culprit is not the new man in Christ, but the sinful corrupt nature that dwells in him. The believer has the desire to do what is right, but he does not have the resources in himself. It is only with the help of the indwelling Holy Spirit that he is capable of standing up to sin. This is a battle that rages on. He is trying to achieve holiness by personal effort, struggling with all his might, only to discover that the more he struggled, the worse his condition became. It was a losing battle, and no wonder, for it is not in the power of fallen human nature to conquer sin and live in holiness.

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25) Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

We have to be less complicated about this and see that paul is refering to himself but also so other can identify with paul in understanding the theology of Gods purpose in recording these verses. Paul want everyone to know that he sturggles with sin like others maybe not willfull sin that is obvoius to the flesh but certainly sin that stalks us, all of our lives. The bible make it clear that sin will be present till the end, then we will be free. So let us not feel that we will be free from sin becuase of this teaching but let us know that as we feed the spirit in our lives that sin will become less and less but if we feed the flesh then the opposite will occur. I beleive Paul was in his last days in Rome when he wrote this as he knew the end was coming and wanted us to know the war that sin creates. It is the spirits job through Paul of explaining the human condition

The last word of the verse serves the best as he says all then says " for sin shall not have Mastery over you"Power to dominate or defeat sin in our lives for Grace is the power!!!I beleive pwoer over willful and repeative sins Let all be humble enough to know that becuase of our nature we will fail again in sin but the grace of God is more powerful than sin

Therefore once saved always saved and I beleive paul was saved when he wrote these verses other wise he would of never undertood the war within.

I believe what Dr. Stott does. I think Paul set out to prove what a contempable person he was in God's eyes--which as you grow closer to God you see the sin more clearly for what it is & despise it.

It is universally true as well. I know I have felt more sorrow for my sinful tendencies--I see them as hurting Jesus and this hurts me as well.

I think considering when Paul wrote his letter to the Romans is a good idea. But before anything else I need to say I disagree with the statement in post #5 that "Paul was in his last days in Rome when he wrote this." In Romans 15:23-25, Paul writes to the church at Rome "

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25) Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

He seems to know nothing of the Holy Spirit, either in understanding or in experience.140

So who is this person? Stott concludes -- and I think he's right -- that the "wretched man" of verse 24 is typical of many Jewish Christians of Paul's day who were regenerated but not liberated. They were born again, but hadn't really learned to walk in the power of the Spirit, so as a result they ended up terribly frustrated. Stott sees the Old Testament saints in this category, too. They loved the law and were "born" or brought to faith by the Spirit, but not indwelt by the Spirit.141

I seem to agree most with this statement except the part of not knowing the Holy Spirit. We all can read in Acts where Paul was over come by the Spirit of the Lord and got all his revelations from the Lord. I think Paul was talking about himself and it applies to all men that we are often yearning to be like Christ but our weak flesh makes up lose that love,peace, patience, the works of the Spirit when we are confronted with problems of the day and confronted by harsh non-believers. I know I struggle in my daily life with dealing with the worldly problems I have to face, I long to be around brothers in Christ to get renewed.

Paul was a human being, just like the rest of us. While he lived in sin no longer the chances that he did sin occasionally would have to be pretty good. Christ was the only man to live a life totally free of sin.

Using myself as an example I still find that I am prone to mistakes, always unintentional, but sin nevertheless. As I grow in the Spirit I am able to identify that which I couldn't see as sin before.

This too is true. The more sin that I see in myself, the greater anguish it causes me because it grieves the Holy Spirit and hurts the Lord. I feel like a wretch. Praise Jesus for His amazing grace!

But I am carnal, sold under sin. This was probably, in the apostle's letter, the beginning of a new paragraph. I believe it is agreed, on all hands, that the apostle is here demonstrating the insufficiency of the law in opposition to the Gospel. That by the former is the knowledge, by the latter the cure, of sin. Therefore by I here he cannot mean himself, nor any Christian believer: if the contrary could be proved, the argument of the apostle would go to demonstrate the insufficiency of the Gospel as well as the law.

Q5. (Romans 7:14-25) Christians disagree about who is the "I" in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others?

I think Paul is referring to himself and the struggle he lived before he was born again, but also the internal stuggle of each imperfect believer until we are delivered from this body of flesh.

What is your opinion?

I read the Bible to see what God is speaking to me. As Paul spoke about himself, I see that I am also the "I" because I too am fallen and in the process of, "I was saved, I am being saved, (my flesh is dying) and I will be saved.(fully, "at that day") I think as each individual reads Romans 7 and Paul's words, it applies to every man/woman. Yes, I'm free in Christ, but since I cannot live a perfect life as Christ lived, I sin at times. This is when I see that I just did "that which I did not want to do (say, think)", but thanks be to God, He will deliver me from this body of death, through Jesus Christ! V25. I walk in the Spirit, but to me this explains those times that I fail....my flesh is dragged around with me and sometimes rises up to have a "say", and then I confess and repent, and thank God that I am no longer unregenerate and without hope...He has given me His Spirit to walk in, so I don't despair. His mercies are new every morning, and one day, I will see Him face to face in my glorious body, where I will no longer have to worry about sin or death....but in the meantime, His blood cleanses me from all sin and unrighteousness, and His Spirit is transforming me into His likeness, one day at a time, but with a few slips here and there.

(We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

I think Paul is talking about himdelf and us. I think he is talking about the people that are under the law but not under grace, therefore we are under the dominion of sin. There is a struggle that is maintained between grace and corruption in sanctified souls. We will always struggle with sin, but we have the grace of God and the Holy Spirit to lead us in the right direction.

At first I believe-- Paul was talking about himself. Then soon realized that others were in the same position of wanting to do good but not able to because of the flesh and Satan. Because of the mind games it is hard to always keep the body for Christ if not under the law.

You can not serve (2) two masters--- so Christ is the only choice to make.

[/quote

Initially Paul is the one who writes this letter, when he is writing this letter he is talking about himself, what he experience being the regenerated person and unregenerated person. but he is addressing this letter to the people (believers and non-believers) in Romans. and also to us now.

I think Paul describes himself in Romans 7 and to all others like him. It has to be someone who loves the law of God so it would not be unregenerate man. Even though we love God's law and are growing in our walk with the Lord, we still have sin to contend with everyday. Even mature believers have sin to contend with and if we don't keep our eyes on the Lord, we will find ourselves in bondage to it again and only the Lord Jesus can deliver us. But this shouldn't be the normal life of mature believer even though he has to fight against sin everyday, he will be an overcomer through the Lord Jesus Christ. Maybe this was Paul before becoming a mature believer as it would be for all immature believers.

I would life to take this passage personal. I consider this "I" as my unregenerate me. This was me when the Holy Spirit was not yet working in me. I may not have known the law as Apostle Paul did, but I was as sinful as he was before I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior and come to repentance of my sins. <_<

I look at the "I" to mean all that struggle with the nature desires of sin not just Paul, not just me ,not just you but all Once we experience the conversion from living a life of the sinful nature to the Spirital life in Christ Jesus. The battle of wrong and whats right get more intents and only the Spirit of Christ Jesus can have the victory. In other words only the Spirital man (The Holy Spirit) in us has the power for us to experience the promised victory.

1.I disagree with Stott analyzes. I believe that Paul was very much in the Spirit in speaking to the churches at the time he was speaking. God word is anointed anytime it is spoken and God anointed Paul anytime he spoke once he was born again and found who he was in Christ.

Paul already knew the laws of God. He was murdering in the name of the law. Once he had his encounter with Jesus he saw that the law was good but that the law can kill. He saw that his flesh had one part in him, his soul was another part in him and now he has another part to him which is his spirit man come alive by Jesus Christ.

Paul learned that he was a three part man now and that all could control in some way and he is conveying this so others struggling with this could understand. He understood that his flesh had lusts, evil desires, he understood that his mind, will and emotions(soulish part) would mix with the flesh and sin would be committed.

Paul is anointed, aware and teaching so they could understand their battle.

1. (Paul) who represents all of us pre-conversion (Paul's pre-conversion autobiography)

2. Adam who also represents all of us as fallen man. (Of people in general)

3. Israel, being the key word here. God is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and is the God of Israel. If He then is our same God and He is, then we are in effect all Israel, although we are the grafted ones. (Of the Jewish people in particular)

I think the I, is every human being, represented in man, all whom have inherited the sin of man but, now through Jesus has a new inheritance, a freedom from sins nature, by the power of the Holy Spirit, because of the grace and mercy of God , whom is Spirit. (

Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion?

I think Paul is referring to himself and to others. He describes every sinner before grace, including himself. He is not exempting himself. I think the emphasis on I here is telling, referring to the ego or Self, the will of the unsaved sinner.

I beleive that Paul was talking about both himself, and the universal Adam - all men, before death in the flesh. As long as we are physically alive in the flesh, there is always some sinful nature left in us. Remember that Christ taught us that not only actual physical adultry is a sin, but just thinking lustfully about another person was adultry in the heart, and just as much of a sin. Is is possible for any person alive in the flesh to be sin-free as Christ was? I do not think that we reach that state until we physically die and are judged worthy by Jesus Himself.

I THINK PAUL IS NOT JUST REFERRING TO HIMSELF, I THINK HE IS REFERRING TO HUMANITY IN GENERAL.

AS CHILDREN OF GOD WE TEND TO STRUGGLE WITH THE SINFUL NATURE, WITHIN US. THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE KNOW WE SHOULD NOT DO BUT THE FLESH SEEMS TO LOVE TO BATTLE WITH THE SPIRIT EVERYTIME WE CHOOSE TO DO GOOD, WE FIND OURSELF DOING THE LATTER. WE ARE JUST NOT MATURE CHRISTIAN ENOUGH TO KNOW HOW TO WALK IN THE SPIRIT IN A POWERFUL WAY. PAUL ULTIMATELY SPOKE OF EVERY SINGLE CHRISTIAN, HE SPOKE TO OUR SINFUL NATURE.

Q5 in Romans 7. Is Paul referring to himself or others? What is your opinion? (We won't all agree here, but we'll learn what the issues are by taking and arguing for a position -- lovingly).

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Saul has had the blinders taken off of his eyes to the truth, Jesus is the Messiah, and Saul was

filled with the Holy Spirit; Therefore, he now understood why it was so hard for him to keep God's Holy Law.

The Law is spiritual and Saul's heart was as stone, carnal. He now understood the reason for God's prophesy seen in Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Paul came to understand, this New Covenant is not just for the Jew, but, it is for all who would believe.

Paul also understood the problem with the Corinthian church, he had been there, they were carnal,

they were still working in the flesh, they were still babes in Christ, with fruit of envy, strife, and divisions, they were walking as men, in the flesh. 1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

Paul taught them this must not be. God tells us in Isa 51:7 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;

I think the "I" is Paul speaking from his heart, speaking about the trials to be faced between the flesh and the Spirit, as he shared his inward trials, as if we all haven't been there.

We must love God with all our hearts, soul, and mind, and it is than that we will find God's law to be a joy, not a burden.

We understand, the law has nothing to do with salvation, it has all to do with our relationship to God Almighty, for if the inheritance (salvation) be of the law, it is no more of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise, received by faith. We receive God's promise by faith in God's gift to us, the Messiah.

REGENERATE - is to reconstruct, renew - Paul understood he was being reconstructed, and his praise was given up to God for Jesus Christ, so now he can obey the law of God with his mind, for his heart has been changed from stone to life, power, he is now free to love God, he now has the Holy Spirit living in him. But - it is he who must allow this regereration to grow. ;)

I believe he is talking about himself before he was saved, as well as all of us. We are all want to do right but can't on our own. We need the salvation of Jesus and the Holy Sirit working in us.

The 'I' in the passage quoted refers to Christians who have have received the Lord and regenerated but still work in the power of the flesh. This is only apparent to me now having gone through the notes of this study.