JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Setting the Mind on the Spirit

Q2. (Romans 8:5-6) Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit? How do you do this? How can you recognize when the things you're setting your mind on relate to your sinful nature? How much of this is deliberate? How much is habit? What part does the Holy Spirit have it this? Or is this primarily right living by force of will?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To set my mind on things of the Spirit is to set my thoughts and decisions on what pleases God. Since He has revealed much about what pleases Him in His Word, it's critical to be a student of the Scriptures. It's important to consciously, continually decide to evaluate myself against His truth. But the most imperative thing is to submit the mind, will, and emotions of my flesh to the leadership and control of the Holy Spirit. He will always lead me according to God's character and Word. When I am obedient to that, I am pleasing.

The simplest way to recognize when I've set my mind on my sinful nature is to ask basic questions. Will this make God look good? Is this in line with His character and heart? Is this for my benefit or the Kingdom? Am I trying to make something happen myself or am I waiting on the Spirit? Can I line this up with His Word? Do I have the peace of the Spirit? Am I dwelling on things of the world or things of eternity? Sometimes I dwell on the wrong things because of habit; sometimes I make the choice to do so; sometimes I'm probably just not paying attention to what I'm doing.

The Holy Spirit is always at work to guide, instruct, and correct me. Always. His power is the only source of making it possible for me to please God. Trusting and following Him is the only way to walk in Him. My best intentions or efforts to do right on my own are completely tainted by the unholy rebellion of my flesh against God. It's not about anything I could try to do or be. It’s only about my willingness to give up on myself and give everything over to obey the Spirit's leading.

Q2. (Romans 8:5-6) Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit? Staying focused on Him, beginning with my first breath and last breath of each day.

How do you do this? Daily focusing my attentions on God, His Word, or specifically in prayer or conversations speaking to Him and in opening my ears to the availability to hear Him. Placing myself, my whole body in servant hood to Him to be useful in any and every thing. Funny, it just dawned on me that I only place my body on the alter when I am going into town. I never thought about making sure I was available to be used by Him, here at home on the farm and saying,

Q2. (Romans 8:5-6) Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit? How do you do this? How can you recognize when the things you're setting your mind on relate to your sinful nature? How much of this is deliberate? How much is habit? What part does the Holy Spirit have it this? Or is this primarily right living by force of will?

It means that we are to think like Christ, not as the world but on things that show love peace,patience,goodness,self control. By prayer and constant reading of the word putting good things in your mind helps to keep good things coming out. You recognize the fruit of the flesh when it is anything against God and His will. Most of it is deliberate and often habit the more you do something the more of a habit it becomes so when we are led by our sinful nature to do things not of Christ then they soon become habit and deliberate. The Holy Spirit gives you the power to keep sin of the flesh from becoming habit and deliberate. He gives us strength to fight off the sinful nature and live and listen to the Spirit. Our will can only lead us by sins of the flesh we must have God's Spirit to give us strength without His intervention we will lose the battle and our lives.

To constantly have your mind & thoughts directed on God & His attributes & His Word.

You can only do this if you have been saved. The Holy Spirit will direct us.

You can use scripture to see if your mind is set on things above, not on the flesh. (Gal. 5:16-25)

We do have to will ourselves to think on things that are not pleasing to Him, but we deliberately wish to serve Him & to let the Holy Spirit guide us. Good habits are formed by continually obeying Him.

Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit?How do you do this?

Once you have the Spirit in you, it is possible to set your mind on the things of the Spirit. But you have to seek the Spirit in you, and as it is without you also. You have to ask the Spirit, to pray to Jesus to help you. Studying on the Spirit through fellowship and living according to the teachings of Christ help too. In that much, it becomes habit. The Spirit will direct your feet where they need to go, if you are still and listen, and if you are obedient to the directive of the Spirit.

What part does the Holy Spirit have it this? Or is this primarily right living by force of will?

The Spirit is responsible for the grace that we recieve through our faith. Right living through force of will has nothing to do with it. our own will won't get us anywhere but in trouble, lead us away from spirit into the mires of the flesh.

Set your mind on Christ. Remeber peter when he got out of the boat in faith. When he kept his mind on Christ he walked on the water, when he did not he started to sink. Our lives mst be centred and focused on JESUS. Through Daily Bible reading to know his word but more importantly to confirm it in our spirit his word. The word brings pwoer from on high over your circumstances and sin.

When you start to focus on the world and its answers to daily issues then you divert your ways. I find that it is important to change our behavior. That means a daily focus on Christ for the next 40 days ( 40 being important in the bible) will set a behavior in place to accomplish Gods plan. If we have to think about it , we will not do it. Bible reading prayer etc. It must become a behavior and even then we will find our minds and hearts to wander but God will speak to us about our behavior.

Much of our actions are deliberate and others are a condition reponse or behavior.

By reading and focusing our habits toward God. The lord says if you we seek me with all of your heart jer 29:13 then he will be found to bring. Seek first the kingdom of God. The holy spirt will energize us with power over sin if we tap into the source.The will is to seek God with all of our hearts and power will be released in our lives to overcome sin. John 15 I am the Vine you are the branches >>>>>

When I freely submit to the will of the Spirit life is sweet. Then my mind is set on things above and I am able to produce fruitfull works that will glorify the Lord.

Sometimes though, rather suddenly or unconsciously, I find myself thinking of my fleshly desires, allowing myself to be tempted to sin. I know that I have a tendency to deliberately think of fulfilling my desires but, more often than not, it is the result of living in sin for 40 years before I was saved. It is a habit.

The Holy Spirt convicts me when I drift too far or too long and I must then resume the battle which requires that I compel my will to return to right thinking. Breaking a lifelong habit is no easy task and I do have to fight my way through at times.

Setting your mind on the things of the Spirit" is choosing to look at every major area of your life in the light of God's grace. The more we learn about what Christ has given us, and the more we consciously view every area of our lives from this perspective, the more God's Spirit will transform our lives.

Paul contrasts this mind-set to a mind-set on the "things of the flesh." This refers to the perspective we adopt on things apart from and contradictory to God's revealed grace. This is our mental "default setting"--which is why we must choose to "set our minds on" God's perspective.

We are also to keep in step with the Spirit". This means to be responsive to the Spirit's personal guidance in your life.

Things of the Spirit are things that are pleasing and glorifying to God. To glorify God, we have to fill our mind with spiritual things specially bringing lost souls back to God.

I can recognize when the things I am setting my mind on relate to my sinful nature when it does not submit to God's law, it does not glorify God.

It is deliberate when I know I will not give glory to God but still I do it.

It becomes a habit if even after having confessed of my sin I continue to do it and in the long run forgetting to confess.

The Holy Spirit will remind us in the corner of our mind that something is not right. I have to listen and obey the spirit.

You have to force your sinful nature to obey the spirit because our flesh is weak. It needs constant spiritual feeding to fight the sinfulness. It is a continual struggle to live a holy life. :P

To set our mind on the things of the Spirit is to be determined to let the Holy Spirit guide us in all that we do, even our thoughts and attitudes with a love and trust in the Spirit of Christ. We do this and recognize we are doing it by going to God's Word and letting it guide us. Most of the time the mindset of the flesh is habit but we have to be deliberate to make our mindset on the Spirit. The Holy Spirit has a big part, He is the one who speaks to us, guides us and convicts or comforts us in what we are doing,feeling and thinking. No, we cannot live by the Spirit by force of will because our will is flesh and against the things of the Spirit.

Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit?

Our minds will be focused on the person of Jesus, on salvation, on Christian fellowship, on the Word of God, on prayer, on praising our Lord, on the blessed hope of Christ

To think in Spirit is to to think what God's will in us, to do what is pleasing to God's eye. By loving our neighbor's, Have patience, being humble and so on. by reading His Word daily, by proclaiming the Word that the Lord gave in us. Psalm 68:11

We recognize those thing if the Holy Spirit talk to us and tell us that the things set in our mind is related to our sinful nature. sometimes thought, suddenly or unconsciously, i find myself thinking fleshly desire, allowing myself to be tempted by sin. i know that i have a tendency in deliberately think in fulfilling my desire. maybe this is the result of my year in wickedness.

The Holy Spirit is the one who will convict me if I'm doing the thing not pleases the Father.

Live by the Spirit , The Holy Spirit in our lives and these Fruit Of The Holy Spirit Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness and Self-Control. This is how we do this when we live by the Spirit of Christ Jesus.

You can reconize when the things you are setting your mind on relate to your sinful nature when we say yes to evil and on to righteousness.

How much of this is deliberated? I would say all is deliberate because we no longer has the desire to please God and place focus on pleasing the "flesh". I would also want to say that all would be a habit until one have trusting faith, listening faith and follow The Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus. Right living by free will, Holy Ghost Filled Praise The Lord!!!

TO SET YOUR MIND ON THE THINGS OF THE SPIRIT, IS TO SET YOUR MIND ON GODLY THINGS. SO THAT WE ARE ABLE TO PLEASE GOD.WE NEED TO DEVELOPE THE KIND OF MIND SET WHERE WE EXPOSE OUR MIND WITH GODLY VALUES.WE NEED TO START SETTING OUR MINDS ON THINGS ABOVE AS IS SAID IN COLLOSSIANS 3; 2-3.

YOU CAN RECOGNIZE WHEN THE THINGS YOU ARE SETTING YOUR MINDS RELATE TO YOUR SINFUL NATURE, BECAUSE THE FLESH START TO TAKE OVER, THINGS YOU WOULD NOT DO YOU FIND YOURSELF DOING, THERE IS NO WAY ONE CAN FOLLOW THE FLESH AND THERE IS NO HOSTILTY TOWARDS GOD, IT DOES NOT SUBMIT TO GOD THEY REFUSED TO SUBMIT AT ALL. I WOULD SAY THAT 99.5 PERCENTAGE OF CHRISTIAN KNOWS FULLY WELL THAT IT IS DELIBERATE.WELL TO PUT A FIGURE TO THIS IS HEART BREAKING I HONESTLY THINK THAT 99 PERCENTAGE, IS A HABIT. THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THERE TO GUIDE US AND TO TEACH US , SO THE HOLY SPIRIT IS ALWAYS THERE, WE JUST HAVE TO LISTEN CAREFULLY. IT IS NOT PRIMARILY LIVING BY FORCED WILL. BECAUSE GOD IS A GENTLEMAN. HE GAVES US A CHOICE OF OUR OWN,THERFORE WE ARE NOT FORCE.

How much is habit? I am still not sure if this is habit because I have only known the Lord this way since early 2005. So for the last three years, these thoughts of being in an argument with no-one really there, I do not know if I would call it a habit, but something that just pops u in my thoughts.

What part does the Holy Spirit have it this? My answer was that I would have to get back to you. Here I am! I did a study this morning on The Contentious Spirit, once I realized what arguing would be in the Bible.

Romans 2:7-9 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

But unto them: God will shed the light of truth. He will manifest His indignation, and inflict wrath-punishment, on all who are contentious-who obstinately dispute against the truth, and obey unrighteousness-who act under the influence of the principle of sin, and not under the influence of the Spirit of God.

1Peter 1:6-7

Matthew Henry says the things of the Spirit are "the favour of God, the welfare of the soul, the concerns of eternity".

So I think the first thing you have to do are realize what the things of the Spirit are. Am I focusing on those things? I believe we are totally dependant on the help of the Holy Spirit to set our minds on the things of the Spirit and to obey (mind)those promptings.

When I am not focusing on those things my fleshly nature comes out in all its ugliness. At this point in my Christian walk it should be pretty obvious, however I find that sometimes unfortunately it still isn't apparent right away. Is it deliberate? I'm not always sure however when I realize what I am doing and have a choice to make then it is.

There is a prayer by Susanna Wesley which I find applies to some of these questions. "When I am peevish and morose it is not because of religion but my want of it. Help me not be discouraged by my own failures, nor spend too much time in thinking of them, remembering that perfection is my Savior's endowment and sincerity is mine. Help me with firm faith to rely on His merits, joined with my sincere endeavor to obey Thy Whole will."

As always I have a lot of work to do in these areas.

We also need to pray for each other!!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q2. (Romans 8:5-6) Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit?

To seek and pursue those things which gratify the Holy Spirit.

How do you do this?

Through a decision...making up the mind, setting the mind to follow the Holy Spirit and life.

How can you recognize when the things you're setting your mind on relate to your sinful nature?

Those things give pleasure to and gratify the fleshly desires which lead to death.

How much of this is deliberate?

All of it...it requires recognition of the the wrong desire, then the decision to deny the flesh and to pursue following the Holy Spirit.

How much is habit?

Habitually we pursue the things of the flesh...those things we did and knew and thought before we came to know the Lord Jesus as Savior and Lord. Those are like a well worn rut in the road and we gravitate to them naturally. It takes a work of the Holy Spirit to take us to His path which leads to life.

What part does the Holy Spirit have it this?

First, He convicts us of what we are doing, saying, thinking, which is in the flesh. When we yield to Him, He leads us into all truth, and to pursue the things which lead to life. He is the author and finisher of our faith.

Or is this primarily right living by force of will?

Force of will never gets me onto the right path...that's just the will power which failed to save me or for me to do or live righteously before I came to Christ. It's in the yielding to His power that the flesh/will is crucified and dies to itself, and He enables me to do His will.

Galatians 5:22-23 tells us what it is to set our minds on the Spirit: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control." If we keep these things and Christ in our thoughts constantly, our mind is set on the Spirit. On the other hand, if we start thinking thoughts of hatred, sexual immorality, adultery, then we are setting our minds towards the sinful. Those of us who desire, who 'hunger and thirst for righteousness' will need to exert will power to keep on the right track, as we are tempted by Satan at every turn. We will always have the Holy Spirit with us, ready to help us when we call out to Him. For us to live righteously then, will require our will power, as well as prayer - there will be ups and downs as we grow in our christianity.

To set our minds on the things of the spirit means to follow the person of the Holy Spirit, listening to him and obeying as he directs us in our daily living.

When we allow him to lead us in all we do, then we are walking with and by him.

The Holy spirit will convict us whenever we are focussing on things that relate to our sinful nature. We will then become aware of this and should then quickly repent.

We have the choice to obey the sinful nature or the Spirit. Most of the our choices to obey the sinful nature is thus deliberate and to a certain extend as a result of habit.

The Holy Spirit can have a powerful role to stop us from deliberate sin if we are willing to let him. We do this by inviting Him to take control of our minds and enpower us to overcome every temptatation.

Q2. (Romans 8:5-6) Exactly what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit? How do you do this?

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,

that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

We are to put on the mind of Christ, abide in Him, so when He appears we will not be ashamed.

The Holy Spirit who lives in our hearts is instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly ****,

to live soberly and righteously and godly in this world; for we are to live as if Christ would come today,

for Christ gave himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself

a people for his own possession, zealous of good works

1 John2:28-29 And now, my little children, abide in him; that, if he shall be manifested,

we may have boldness, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous,

ye know that every one also that doeth righteousness is begotten of him.

How can you recognize when the things you're setting your mind on relate to your sinful nature?

The Holy Spirit convicts us, the scriptures speak to us - Rom 13:12-14 The night is far spent,

the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness,

not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

How much of this is deliberate? How much is habit?

Some who have come to Christ come with beams in their eyes, while others have splinters,

they still come in SIN, but for some, who have deliberately gone their own way, may find SIN

harder to overcome, for the flesh has become a stronger slave, to what they have decided to yield to.

Satan is out to condemn those who put their trust in Christ.

What part does the Holy Spirit have in this? Or is this primarily right living by force of will?

The Holy Spirit convicts us, we are to be filled with the Spirit, so we would be bold, so we would have power to fight the rulers of this world, to say no to the fleshly desires, it is called choice, based on our "faith".

We are to yield to the Word, for it is a two edged sword that cuts to the bone; hide God's word in our hearts, that we may not sin against Him. We can't do it on our own, BUT we can, if we set our minds to follow Christ, to set our minds on the things above, not on the things of this world. :unsure:

To set our mind on the things of the Spirit is to seek and submit to the Holy Spirit's direction and enablement and to concentrate on the thing's of God. We are to live consciously at all times in the presence of God, trusting Him to give us the help and grace we need to accomplish His will in and through us. We do this by reading the word, praying, and b eing sensitive to the Spirit's guidance. We can recognize when our mind starts to wonder back to our sinful nature because it will not be in line with God's word. All of it is deliberate or habit. Deliberate, we are letting the things of the world and the flesh control. Habit, we have to learn to train our thoughts on the things of God constantly. We have to train our minds not the think the world's way, but God's. The Holy Spirit will lead and guide us, teach us the things we need to know. No, this is not right living by force of will. God does not force us to do anything. That is why He gave us the free will to make up our own minds.