JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Defeatist Attitude toward Sin

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I have to sin? No, for the choice is mine. As I see it, sin is a willful transgression against a known law of God in my life. I can choose to do so, or not. Might we sometimes fall into sin? Yes, for we still can make wrong choices, but the good news is we still have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ. (John 1:8). As I have been thinking about these questions Jude verses 24 and Romans 6:1&2 came to mind.

I once had a discussion with someone who ended up arguing that the sovereignty and will of God extends even to the point that He directs every single action that people take, including sin. Boy, do the Scriptures we are studying here contradict such a notion! As born-again believers, we do not have to sin. Christ conquered the power of sin. The Holy Spirit of Christ lives within every believer. Every believer has access to the power that conquered sin. For the completely obedient person, it is possible to live 2 hours, 4 hours, 1 day, 2 days without sin. Our problem is that we are not completely obedient in dying to the flesh and submitting to the life and control of the Spirit. I think this is mostly because of the pride in the human heart, which is the root of sin.

The Scriptures instruct us to walk rightly, to stand, to overcome, to conquer, to consider ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ. Because of the presence of the Spirit within, we are obviously equipped to do all this. When we take our eyes off that power, we experience failures. As we focus on our incapabilities, we begin to accept a defeatist attitude. This isn't in the Scriptures. It's from the darkened mind of man.

No, we don't have to sin. I think satan & our flesh can compell us to sin. Yes it is possible for a period of time to be sinless, but pride is also a sin!! We don't have to be defeated by sin. Jesus has shown us, by prayer, by meditation, by memorization, to keep His Word in our hearts, minds & tongues to help us to go the right direction. It is ALWAYS going to be a struggle since we didn't get our totally new bodies at the time of conversion. We have choices to make every hour of every day. Praise God for His forgiveness each day!!

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

NO,We don't have to sin, but yes we are compelled to sin, scripture says that we have all sinned and fallen short of God's glory. We will continue to be sinners till we are removed from this sinful world and go to live with the Lord. I don't know how long one is able to go without sin I do know that for myself it is not long enough. I believe that our attitude comes from what we are taught and what we learn in our daily walk, we come to expect things to happen in a certain way or the norm,for us so we give in with out though to our sinful nature. I think some may come from how we understand scripture but not all. I think most comes from our desires and sinful nature.

(Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin?

I think our natural tendency is to sin. Only Christ, incarnate, was without sin. But with the gift of the Spirit, we do not have to, or can resist. We just have to look to the Spirit constantly.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

I don't think we get the attitude from scripture. I think it is sin whispering in our ears.

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin? Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days? Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

This is an interesting question becuase it eludes to many questions. First We do not have to sin since our new nature has died to sin under the grace and work of our lord. It is posiible to live without sin I beleive many do and have. If we can keep our focus on Him and not on the world and it's pleasures; the flesh and its desires: and the devil and his actions.

Our attitude should be in christ Jesus and decide in advance of what territory will will take back from the ememy. Since we are free from sin and its works What in our lives, can we build an alter on and say this is it and do not look back.

I think the age old voice comes to our mind and as it "did to eve in the Garden. "Did God really say that". We must know what God says on these issues in our lives and drive a stake in the ground. We must stop playing the game of did god really say that[/b].[/b] If we know the Bible to be true then we have power over sin in the spirit.. "Lord let me draw close to you and allow your spirit to have power in my life over sin" and Lord even if it is not willful sin and I fail becuase of emotions or attitue the grace of God will cover that for me. Then help me lord not to repeat that sin so I can move on. This issue with sin is like Abraham in Egypt. He cam e back again and again even his son went a lied to pharo. Sin results does vists other generation

So let us take hold of the truth and it shall set us free to live a live of grace and truth. Lord give me and others in this group your grace that you may defeat the ememy in our lives. We really need to pray for each other in this course that the Lord will display power in our lives over these sins.

We don't have to sin any longer because we are no longer slaves to it. Much as we are not compelled to sin because sin is longer our master. Living for any moment in a day without sin is possible if we are filled with the fruit of the Holy Spirit: "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

We do not have to sin nor can we be forced to. The choices that we make are free will choices and we should get to the point in our walks where we are able to choose between right and wrong.

I have found that I can go for long periods of time without intentionally sinning. The older I am in the Lord the stronger I become. At times though, my flesh will catch me unaware.

Scripture teaches us that we are more than conquerors and that we can be victorious. Doubt about victory over sin in our lives comes from a lack of faith, poor teaching, bad preaching and a failure to leave the old man (or woman) under the water.

The believers are not indebted, or owe anything to the flesh, but all to the Spirit; the flesh is a cheater, an usurper, an oppressor; what it calls for, it has no right to demand: but the Spirit is a just creditor, and we are greatly indebted to him, as the author and producer of grace in us, and as he is the preserver and increaser of that grace in us which he has begun.

Oh blessed Spirit! we owe all that we are, and all that we have to thee, all that we have in hand, and all that we have in hope; thou hast a right to all, yea, more than all that we can pay thee, so infinitely are we indebted to thee: But for sin and the flesh, we never promised anything to it, we never got anything by it, nothing but shame and sorrow from it, and, therefore, we are not indebted to it.

Lord, keep us from being debtors to the most cruel and severe creditors in the world, sin and Satan; for the more we are to them, the more we run in arrears with thee, to whose justice we must pay the uttermost farthing.

Q4. (Romans 8:12)

Do we have to sin? No, we no longer have to sin. We have been set free by Christ Jesus from slavery to sin.

Are we compelled to sin? No, here again we have also been set free from the compulsion to sin.

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

Yes, we are being led by the Spirit. We will try not to listen to our sinful nature, but will want to follow the Spirit in living in righteousness. We might make four hours; I doubt one day; and it will be very difficult for two days

No, we do not have to sin, we have been set free by Jesus Christ. No, we are not compelled to sin but we sometimes choose to sin and we also can sin without realizing at the time it was sin but if we are living filled with the Spirit, that doesn't happen because the Spirit is guiding us. If a christian is filled with the Spirit then they can go 2 hours to 2 days without sinning or longer. It is when we fail to be filled with the Spirit that we sin and in fact it is a sin to not be filled with the Spirit because God's Word commands us to be. Eph. 5:18.

I think christians got such a defeatist attitude towards sin by not being filled with the Spirit and so they naturally found it hard not to sin. It didn't come from scripture, although we all do sin sometimes because scripture says if we say we have no sin, the truth is not in us, 1 John 1:8. Only Jesus lived a sinless life.

According to this verse, no we don't have to sin and are not compelled to sin. Yes, we can live without sin. I guess we get the defeatist attitude from experience and from bad teaching. This scripture teaches that we don't have to sin, for Christ has set us free from the power of sin and death.

We're more apt to sin when we walk in the flesh and its dictates, and even when we walk in the Spirit, we will fall into sin, but are more likely to ask the Holy Spirit for strength to avoid the temptation to sin.

NO WE DO NOT HAVE TO SIN, AND WE ARE NOT COMPELLED TO SIN EITHER, BECAUSE THE BIBLE TEACHES WE ARE NOT ADDICT TP SIN,BECAUSE THE DEATH OF JESUS CHRIST HAS SET US FREE FROM SIN"S POWER OVER US.

YES IT IS POSSIBLE TO LIVE FOR TWO HOURS OF WAKEFULNESS WITHOUT SINNING, FOUR HOURS , ONE DAY. TWO DAYS, OF COURSE WE CAN GO ON FOR DAYS AND MONTHS WITHOUT SINNING, BECAUSE THE FLESH DOES NOT RULES US ANYMORE,BECAUSE A STRONG SPIRIT WITHIN US LEAD UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS.

I THINK WE AS CHRISTIAN GET THIS DEFEATIST ATTITUDE TOWARDS SIN .BECAUSE OF THE KIND OF TEACHING SOME OF US HAVE RECEIVE. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN WE DEPEND ON MAN INSTEAD OF THE HOLY SPIRIT,TO TEACH AND GUIDE US, THIS DEFEATIST ATTITUDE DID NOT COME FROM SCRIPTURE AT ALL.

Many people believe that for man to sin is inevitable - some of Paul's writings say that 'I do not do that which I want to do, and I do that which I do not want to do'. Especially in light of Christ's teaching that the mere thought of adultrey, or murder, is sin, would make it nearly impossible to live life perfectly without sin. This is the whole reason that God sent Jesus, as sacrifice to atone for our sins, so yes, this 'defeatist attitude' is taught by scripture.

We are not addicted to sin, no we do not have to sin but because God has given us free will we do sin, some times we fall into sinning not because we have to but because we are compelled to. The Bibles says that "We are born into a world of sin", But then it tell us "We are in this world but not of this world" once we have been transformed into the family of Jesus Christ "Born again" (Christians). The death of Jesus Christ has set us free from the power of sin if we let God be the head of our lives His Spirit will lead us unto all of His Righteousness.

Yes it is possible to live completly with out sin, This takes us back to "Free Will", because we are free from sin bondage The Holy Spirit Of Jesus Christ frees us from the flesh sinful nature.

We get this attitude towards the defeat of sin from (Romans 8:2) "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Before I knew the Lord I was compelled to sin. It was all I knew. Now that I am the Lord's I am compelled to obey Him. I am miserable when I feel I have disappointed Him. On my own I have no power to live a life of righteousness. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that I can live without sin. And that I must work earnestly at for Him to do it.

Where do we get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? I have sin in me and must battle it everyday. How can I think I can defeat this ugly enemy without power and where else does that power come from but the Lord. If I do not plug into that source I will be defeated everytime. The Bible tells us and the enemy knows it.

We need to pray for each other!! I need prayer!! Please! And I'm sure that everyone in this study needs prayer!!

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We don't need to sin, and we are not compelled to sin even though we are sinner's nature. but we are freed from that bondage of sin through the grace of God in Christ Jesus. in my own opinion yes, well i think it is impossible to live without sinning, but for two hours, one day can be. but what John say in 1 John 1:8 "If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves....". because as the Bible say we have an obligation, to live in righteousness.

We Christian get our defeatist attitude towards sin is something from the people surround us, to wrong teaching. from scripture we get is strength to fight back against that attitude (defeatist). what the 2Tim. 3:16-17 say "all Scripture.....profitable for doctrine,reproof,correction, and instruction in righteousness; so that the man of God will be perfect, thoroughly equipped in every good works."

No, we do not have to sin and we are not compelled to sin. I don't know if we can live a period of time without sinning. Even though we are Christians, we are human and in a fleshly body. Sin is always striving to get control of us. Can we control our every thought, our every word, our action's? Can we walk the walk and talk the talk? Wih the Holy Spirit living in us and teaching us in the way we shoud live, we can learn to live a holy and righteous life. The defeatist attitude comes from man. It is not scripture. God teaches that all things are possible through Christ Jesus who strenghtens us and we are more than conquers in Christ Jesus.

Q4. (Romans 8:12) Do we have to sin? Are we compelled to sin?

Is it possible to live for two hours of wakefulness without sinning? Four hours? One day? Two days?

An interesting question, for what sin are we talking about? I was raised to think the 10 commandments were - thou shall not drink, play cards, go to dances, etc.

As a youth I wish I would have been taught God's 10 commandments, of which have been taken out of our schools, for in them are the directions for mankind to walk in and to please God.

My answer to the question would have to be NO we do not have to sin, and we never had to sin, it has always been a choice.

Before knowing God, I only knew of Him, I was not a great sinner, but some of my friends came from very dysfunctional families, they did not know about God, and followed the things of this world.

The flesh was what they followed, some did find the Lord, and some did not. Some of those who found the Lord and received the Holy Spirit, found some of the desires of the flesh harder to overcome. I cannot fault those who have had drug addictions, etc. and are

struggling to come out of its hold; I pray for them, encourage them to feed at the banqueting table of God's word - God's word is full of encouragement, the Holy Spirit will convict us

as we bring the word into our hearts, He will give power to help.

We have the Bridegroom who was tested by Satan, who is at God's right hand speaking on our behalf.

Grace is seen in God's forgiveness as we come to Him with a repented, contrite heart, asking for

forgiveness and asking for deliverance.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? From Scripture?

If a babe in Christ is a pessimist, it is because he needs to grow up!

The Scripture makes it very clear, we can be over comers, and we are expected to be over comers!

Christ came to do the will of God; He overcame the world and its leader, Satan.

We too can overcome, we must want to do the will of God, and we have the Power, the Holy Spirit to help us.

I think there is a great lesson for us to be learned from the mistakes King David made.

King David an ancestor of our Lord Jesus was a righteous king, and God anointed him with the Holy Spirit, but he was subject to sin.

The sin with Bathsheba and her husband was done in the flesh, and it took Nathan to open his eyes to the fact - he sinned against God! When he realized this in his heart, he knew his sin could not be hid from God and that he deserved death.

David knew he needed to be cleansed; he knew he needed to be renewed with the right spirit. David asked God not to take the Holy Spirit from him. His heart cried to God to restore, regenerate in him, the joy of God's salvation.

God saw David's heart, it was broken, contrite; God forgave David, the lesson to be learned is, the consequences of sin can continue and can plaque us, as it did David.

Christ's sacrifice, a sweet smelling savor to God with which God was well pleased, because the law

was magnified and made honorable by it. The lesson we must learn is - yes we might sin, but sin should not be what we practice, we must not continue in those old habits we once walked in!

It is most important we understand, Satan is out to condemn us, the Holy Spirit convicts us, and it is a contrite heart that will be pleasing to God, it will bring great change into our lives.

Paul beseeches us; present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, this is our reasonable service for what Christ has done for us.

No. We do not have to sin from what Paul reminds us here. Christ died and we died, He rose and we are risen and His Spirit is in us and He is more powerful that the power of sin.

It is possible to live for one hour, two hours, four hours of wakefulness without sinning. We can even live for one day, four days and even more without sinning. This is remarkable. I now now decided to be totally surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit to live victoriously over temptation and sin.

The defeatist idea about inability to live victoriously above sin may be due to lack of the full understanding of the teaching of Paul when he recorded his struggles with sin. This is particularly when he stated that what he wanted to do, he did not but ended up doing that which he did not like to do. People fail to see his conclusion- he found the answer to his confusion in Christ and the Power of the Holy Spirit which gave him victory over sin.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin?

As nes said, our defeatist attitude towards sin is something we get from the people around us, and as RickJW said, "Many people believe that for man to sin is inevitable."

This defeatist attitude that sin is inevitable is a deception, we are surrounded by it, and we know were it comes from

we have a choise

we need to be positive and not defeatist

however I must admit that sometimes I am less than I should be

Mt 22:36 which is the great commandment in the law?

And he said to him,

:wub:

Wow! What a revelation! We DO NOT have to sin. We ARE NOT compelled to sin. We CAN live for 2 hours, 4 hours, a day, even a week without sinning.

Where do we Christians get such a defeatist attitude towards sin? I think I got mine from the devil.

When God said "All have sinned and gone astray", the words were in the past tense. I think the devil has fooled me into thinking it is present and future tense - like "Everyone will always sin and go astray!"

I have only just seen this - Hallelujah! Please Lord, help me to remember this and to walk in it. I have been SET FREE from sin and death. But if I do happen to sin, I can ask Jesus for forgiveness and He has promiced, in His mercy, to do so. What a Saviour!

God bless, and love from Greta

No when Jesus died he freed us from sin. Yes it is possible to go that long with sin because the scripture says we don't have to sin anymore we aren't a slave to it because of Jesus. I don't think it from the bible but from the world. We need to be in the word then we would see we don't have to sin.