JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (Romans 8:24-25) What are the characteristics of a person who has lost hope? How does this person typically conduct his life? How does this differ from a person who holds an eager expectation of a better future? What is the "Christian hope"? How should it motivate us and affect our lives now?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some characteristics are: hopelessness, lack of joy, negative outlook, and no reason to live. He just exists--no future past the grave, therefore he seeks his happiness each day.

We who know there is not only a future but a hope gives us daily joy, excitement and expectation. Our hope is in Jesus & his soon return!! Each day is one step closer to Jesus & we long to bring as many people as we can along with us to our heavenly home! Praise Him!!

The characteristics of a person who has lost hope is someone who has no desire to live. Every little "speedbump" in life is a major problem and he sees no need to move on.

On the other hand, one who has hope and holds an eager expectation of a better future always looks for the next day/week/year to be better. He doesn't look back at what went wrong but looks forward at what is in store for him in the future. My mother-in-law and I had totally different feelings about a new year; she always looked back at all the problems, the bad things, the deaths and illnesses that happened. I looked forward to the things that will come, ways to make my life better, new things to learn and do. I'm not saying I'm a "better Christian" than my mother-in-law, we just had different perspectives.

Q4. (Romans 8:24-25) What are the characteristics of a person who has lost hope? How does this person typically conduct his life? How does this differ from a person who holds an eager expectation of a better future? What is the "Christian hope"? How should it motivate us and affect our lives now?

I think that the most prevalant one would be that they are with drawn and quite not seeking God or anyone else. They would be self conscious of eveything they did and not be involved with anything. A person who sees a better future will be outgoing and happy being envolved with other peoples lives and in sharing the love of Christ with those who don't know Him. The Christian hope is the life of Christ and being true to our calling of reconsilation to God. We are to be motivated to continue to seek and save as Jesus instructed us to do. We are to work as long as it is day for the night comes when no one will work and then we will hear Jesus say welcome those chosen by my Father.

A person who has lost hope is miserable, depressed and inclined to seek false fulfillment.

When you expect a better future there is increasing joy and a zest for life. You are an optimistic person with an A+ personality. This because Christian hope is tangible, real and something that the Holy Spirit allows us to taste. We should be motivated to excel in our walk.

A person who has lost hope, lives a life of no future.

For us Christians We are saved by hope; that is, we are at present supported by hope, our present expectation of our future glorious condition beareth up our spirit under its sufferings, and carrieth us joyfully through all difficulties; or,

We are saved by hope, that is, all the salvation which we have at present is in hope, not in hand; in expectation, not in possession;

heaven in hope, is more worth than the whole world in hand; and seeing there is a certainty of hope, there is a certainty of salvation: We are saved by hope

, The nature of hope declared: 'Tis an expectation of good things promised but not enjoyed; vision and fruition put an end to hope; none hopes for that he already enjoys: Hope is conversant about things unseen as well as faith: Faith is the evidence of things not seen, and hope is the expectation of those things: The object of hope is a future good, a possible good, a promised good, a good promised by God, and believed by us.

A person who has lost hope is not excited to face the day. He has no enthusiasm in his heart. He is bored. He is dying.

The life of a hopeless person is a life without joy. He has surrendered his chances and has settled to complacency. He has lost his vision and opted to concede defeat.

A person who holds an eager expectation of a better future is a person who is vibrant. He is happy with his life and excited with his work and his plans.

Christian hope is that the glory of God will be revealed when Christ returns. We hope that sinfulness of this earth will be gone. Sickness and death, poverty and sorrow will vanish. Righteousness will reign.

Q4. (Romans 8:24-25) What are the characteristics of a person who has lost hope? How does this person typically conduct his life?

Depression, dejected, a victim mentality and attitude, rebellion, hidden or open anger, low self esteem, downcast countenance, fearful, untrusting, defeated. Negative words. Nothing to give to others. Life is lived from one day to the next. No goals, no plans, no joy. Usually reacting to whatever comes along as "my lot in life". No faith. few friends...attracting people who have nothing to give either and usually are more draining of the little reserves one has. (I used to be like this before Jesus chased me down and saved my sorry self)

How does this differ from a person who holds an eager expectation of a better future?

I can say now, in Him, that I live in peace, looking forward to what He's going to do next. I have joy, a growing relationship with my Lord, I have hope. He's given me promises for my future here and after we leave this earth. He's given me spiritual gifts to share with others, taught me how to set boundaries so that I'm doing His priorities each day. I trust Him with my life and with the future.

What is the "Christian hope"? How should it motivate us and affect our lives now?

It is the hope of Glory...we were saved, are being saved and will be saved...our inheritance has been guaranteed and is waiting for us in Heaven. We are being transformed into the image of Christ, and will be like Him when we meet Him face to face. We will spend eternity with Him...no more tears, no more pain. We are to live by His Word, in His Word, and share His Word with those dying around us, as He leads us to speak. We are the only Jesus the unbelievers will see.

When a person has lost hope they are just existing, not living in the salvation and joy of the Lord.This type of person has no faith in anything that they can not see missing out on peace of mind and their hope is not based on the great expectation to come, when Christ return to receive His, Church for God. We who walk by faith eagerly awaits Christ second coming for we know that our future glory has so much more for us when Christ set up his kingdom the new kingdom and the new earth, that will be forever, forever in Glory the future glory we wait patently on that great getting up morning, when our souls go back to our everlasting home where, Father God, Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit is.

Some of the characteristics are feeling hopeless, always being negative, don't think life is worth living or that life is fair, they wander from one state of mind to another, and they cannot find the solution to their troubles. I think this person would conduct his life in sadness and aimlessness, going to and fro. This differ's from a person who holds eager expectation because we have hope to see the better future that is awaiting us. Biblical hope is inseparable from faith in God. Because of God sending Christ, and what Christ did, Because of Christ in us, we have the assurance that the things we hope for ae real. The Christian hope is our faith inGod. Knowing our hope and faith is not limited to this world. We canh share God's glory, we have joy and peace. With hope we have patience. With hope we also have love. Hope cannot exist apart from faith, and love cannot be exercised without hope. With hope, faith, and love that is the way a Christian's life should be. It should motivate us in knowing that we have the hope to know Jesus is returning soon. We should have joy and peace and be seeking to walk closer to the Lord than ever before. Doing His work, and waiting on the promises that we know are ours. That we will see and live with our God and Lord Jesus for eternity. PRAISE THE LORD JESUS. BLESSED BE YOUR HOLY NAME.

THe characteristics of a person who has lost hope ar sadness, pessimism. He conducts his life without thought or care, ie destructively to his soul, because he believes that nothing matters, "nada y pues nada." This differs from a person who has hope in that a hopeful person longs for God and godliness in this life and in the next. This should motivate us to listen to the indwelling Spirit, to see suffering in a Christian light, and to walk in the ways of the Lord as the Spirit directs us.

The person who has lost hope is depressed and defeated. There is no joy or peace. He generally lives life in the moment, without a constant eye to a better future. Someone who holds an eager expectation of a better future may get down at times, but pulls up and keeps going because he's headed toward something superior.

The Christian hope is the glory of God within us, the living presence of the Spirit of Christ. His victory over the power of sin is ours. His resurrection of eternal life is ours. His position of glory is ours. We need the power of that hope in order to endure the temporary journey we travel on earth as we head toward heaven. We can live a joyful, productive life even when faced with hardships because an eternity with the Lord, freedom from the presence of sin, and our unimaginable inheritance are waiting for us there. Thank God this isn't all there is!

THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A PERSON WHO HAS LOST HOPE IS THAT THEY ARE DESPAIR, SUACIDAL, ALWAYS FUSTRATED, ANGRY, AND MOST OF ALL FEARFUL. THIS PERSON LIFE IS CONDUCTED AS IF THEY LIVE IN A FISH BOWL. THEY BELIEVE THAT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS TO THEM , THEY ARE ALWAYS NEGATIVE. BUT A PERSON WHO HOLDS AN EAGER EXPECTATION OF A BETTER FUTURE, IS ALWAYS LOOKING FORWARD TO SOMETHING WITH SOME REASON, E.G CONFIDENCE . FULLFILLMENT HOPE. IT INVOVES A BIG VISION OF THE FUTURE AND GREAT EXPECTATION.TH E CHRISTIAN HOPE IS THAT OUR HOPE IS IN GOD. WE MAY BE GOING THROUGH TERIBLE SITUATION, THE STRUGGLES IS ACTUALLY AS IF IT IS KILLING US BUT WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD WITH FAITH AND GOD PROMISE. THIS MOTIVATE US BECAUSE WE KNOW THAT WE LOOK FORWARD IN HOPE TO SOMETHING BIGGER, JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF COMING.

I thought JanMary's response was very accurate for a person who has lost hope.

A person who holds an eager expectation of the better future lives life with a different perspective. For a Christian that hope is Jesus. "Too live is Christ to die is gain" Phil 1:21. Even when I feel buffeted and am recovering from life threatening injuries, have parents who are elderly and struggling every day, family members who are also struggling without jobs or have economic hardships which may get worse and like Paul face conficts without and fears within I can thank God that He is here and He is sovereign and who has given me His Word and the Holy Sprit so I can face this new time in life with grace from Him. In some ways these days seem dark and maybe that is so that His light and love will shine more brightly. So many don't know Him. I am soo blessed that He found me and "set my feet on a rock".

I used to not know Him and these things would have taken me down a path of despair but now even though I feel the pain and uncertainties I know that none of these things shall move me (Acts 20:24), and in Him we live and move and have our being. (Acts 17:28).

"Being confident of this very thing that He who began a good work in you will perform it until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil1:6

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Characteristic of those person who lost hope, depression, unhappy, feel that the world is against them, sometimes it's lead in taking up his life. the person with eager expectation of a better future, continue doing what he think good for his future, happy for what he is doing, never complain, he love what he has. the Christian hope, is the hope of glory, the indwelling of the Spirit of God in us that will guarantee to each believer - the future hope - Glory. we have to reach forward to those things w/c are ahead. trust in God.

What are the characteristics of a person who has lost hope? One who doesn

Hopelessness is not as black and white as one might think, in my opinion. There is a difference between experiencing hopelessness and being without Hope. We have no difficulty understanding why a person without Hope, without purpose, without God or a future with Him would be depressed, lack joy, be downcast, etc.

Yet an unbeliever may not exhibit the characteristics of hopelessness described in this topic thread. Such a person might blissfully climb a ladder of "success" for a lifetime until they reach the top only to discover that their ladder was leaning against the wrong building. Some who are Hope-less do not behave that way until they recognize their true situation.

On the other hand, what about this person?

"I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning."

"I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow

One of the characteristics of some one who has lost hope is that he wears a gloomy look and complains about every thing. He abandons the things of God such as fellowship, studying the scripture etc. He does not have peace nor joy.

In contrast, the one who has eager expectation for a better future goes about with perseverance, joy and remaims carlm despite the hard and harsh circumstances that may confront him.

The Christian hope is that Christ has redeemed us for a glorious home in heaven with Him and the Father. This expectation should motivate us to strive to march on no matter the challemges.

A person who has lost hope is depressed, negative, fearful, angry and without purpose.

He will either be continuously striving at whatever comes along, going from one thing to another, or he will have 'lost heart' and will not bother to try any more. He will feel that the world is against him and that he just has to get along the best he can.

Someone who has hope and expectation of a better future, will press on to overcome all difficulties. He will have a specil inner joy and confidence that there is something better in store for him.

'Christ in us is the hope of glory' and this is Christian Hope.

It should motivate us to become more and more like Christ, and let more and more of our flesh life die.

A person without hope will appear dejected and lost, they will withdraw into themselves. They may sleep a lot, and may even try to end their life. This person would probably work at a minimal job, just doing enough to get by. As Christians, we set our sights on the life beyond this on earth. As bad as things may get for us today, we look forward to tomorrow, believing in God's plan for each one of us - we have read in the bible how treacherous times can be followed by very rewarding times, even on earth. This hope inspires us to be godly people here on earth, and gives us a vision for the future to set our sights on.

Q4. (Romans 8:24-25) What are the characteristics of a person who has lost hope? How does this person typically conduct his life? How does this differ from a person who holds an eager expectation of a better future? What is the "Christian hope"? How should it motivate us and affect our lives now

They live for today and for the treasures of the earth. Their probably not truly happy and have nothing to look forward to other than death. Where a Christian has the promise of Heaven. A better and glorious place. The return of our saviour. We will have peace and joy no more evil or heart ache. The anticipation of living with Christ Jesus and his revealing of all things.

A person without hope has no expectations, nothing to look forward to, no confidence in tomorrow, probably going through life being depressed. A person who holds an eager expectation of a better future would be looking forward to tomorrow with great expectations for better circumstances in the future. The Christian hope is in the return of Christ, which should motivate us to live our lifes to the best of our ability as followers of Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

A person who has lost hope is inconsolable, heartbroken. They have stopped trying, as opposed to a person who is looking for a better future. They will have a positive attitude, faith that things will be better. The "Christian hope" is our heavenly home, to be with Jesus and God forever.