JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Exhortation

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

we need constant reminders of our High calling in Christ because we are naturally (in the flesh) inclined to be pleasers of men rather than pleasers of God. human niceties?

"fight the good fight" to me, means nothing more than holding on to the Victory that Christ has given us. the accuser's ONLY foothold upon a believer is to get him under the Law (that was not given to justify men, but to bring them to the end of themselves and to christ). once satan succeed in laying a guilt trip on a believer, that believer has put himself in satan's hand - just like Job. God did not put Job in satan's hand; job did, through his negative confessions.

Oh that each one of us would take this to heart. Fight the Good Fight. Stand for righteousness and truth. Hold fast to the gospel message and do not allow any other message to distract us from our purpose.

Paul says that "If anyone else -- even an angel -- should come to you with another gospel, let him be accursed. (Gal. 1:9)

Our stand for the gospel can be a spiritual battle, and I think this exhortation has great application in today's culture of moral relativism. Where people teach that all ways lead to God, and you have your truth and I'll have mine, it is more important than ever to stand firm and fight the good fight.

I think it's important to do this with gentleness and under the guidance of the Spirit. -- the servant of the Lord is not to be quarrelsome, but shoudl be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are inopposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance (2 Tim. 2:24).

It is my prayer that I will be able to echo Paul's words at the end of my life -- that I have fought the good fight, finished the course and kept the faith.

There is a poem by Robert McQuilkin that I found among my Dad's papers after he passed away from a brain tumor in 2004. It's long, but it expresses the prayer to 'end well." If you will endulge me, I've included it here:

Let Me Get Home Before Dark

It's sundown, Lord,

the shadows of my life stretch back

into the dimnes of the years long spent.

I fear not death, for the grim foe betrays himself at last,

thrusting me forever into life:

Life with you, unsoiled and free.

But I do fear:

I fear that dark spectre may come too soon --

or do I mean, too late?

That I should end before I finish or

finish, but not well.

That I should stain your honor, shame you name,

grieve your loving heart.

Few, they tell me, finish well . . .

Lord, let me get home before dark.

The darkness of a spirit

grown mean and small, or fruit shriveled on the vine,

bitter to the taste of my companions,

burden to be borned by those brave few who love me still.

No, Lord. Let the fruit grow lulsh and sweet,

A joy to all who taste;

Spirit-sign of God at work,

stronger, fuller, brighter at the end.

Lord, let me get home before dark.

The darkness of tatered gifts,

rust-locked, half-spent, or ill-spent,

A life that once was used of God

now set aside.

Grief for glories gone or

Fretting for a task God never gave.

Mourning in the hollow chambers of memory,

Gazing on teh faded banners of vitories long gone.

Cannot I run well unto the end?

Lord, let me get home before dard/

The outer decays --

I do not fret or ask reprieve.

The ebbing strength but weans me from mother earth

and grows me up for heaven.

I do not cling to shadows cast by immortality.

I do not patch the scaffold lent to build the real, eternal me.

I do not clutch about me my cocoon,

vainly struggling to hold hostage

a free spirit pressing to be born.

But will I reach the gate

in lingering pain, body distorted, grotesque?

Or will it be a mind wandering untethered among light phantasies or grim terrors?

Of your grace, Father, I humbly ask,. . .

Let me get home before dark.

That poem describes the desire of a believer's heart, I think. We ought to keep on until the Lord calls us home. Keep on in the fight, running the race set before us with our eyes firmly fixed on Jesus Christ the author and perfector of our faith, and with our feet firmly planted in His word.

As a well-known teacher says, "There is not retirement in the time of war." So we need to stay in the battle and follow the lead of our Commander. Fight the good fight.

I apologise for the length of this post -- but I did want to share the poem. Please let me know if it was out of line for me to do so.

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him?

Instead of being overwhelmed by the task (due to his youth), Timothy is to be aware that God's power and strength are with him, that God has fitted him to this task -

(2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

It is when we are out of our depth that we are more likely to turn to God for assistance, and it's when we humble ourselves and trust in Him alone, that miracles happen.

In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean?

"Fight the good fight of faith" (1Ti 6:12) is the crux of Christianity - defending the gospel of Jesus Christ at all costs. Jesus sacrificed His heavenly position to lay down His life for the faith (Philippians 2:6-8) and calls on us to take up our cross and follow Him (Luke 9:23)

Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"?

It's a warning not to follow in the false teachers footsteps, ignoring their conscience and denying the faith. Then of course, the two go hand in hand - faith and conscience. Because it is so important for Timothy to "keep his eye on the ball," to be focused about both his task and the purity of his own heart as he completes his mission, to be able to declare as Paul does in 2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

[]Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? What temptation is Paul trying to counter in his prot

Q4. (1 Timothy 1:18-19) Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him? So that he will remember them and give heed to them.

In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean? Stay in the battle through the strength of the Holy Spirit.

Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"? So he can go back to the beginning of where he came and see how far he has come because this arises the faith that we have, knowing God is working in our lives and keeps our mind focused on truth.

Paul needs to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him in order to encourage him to carry out the difficult task that Paul has given him.

In practical terms, 'Fight the Good Fight' means to embrace all Godly behaviour. To put to death the 'old self life' and put on the 'new life in Christ'. To help others and to speak wholesome and holy words and be pure in heart. Also to stand firm in our faith.

Paul tells Timothy to 'hold on to faith and a good conscience' to encourage him not to give up, but to keep moving forward and to grow.

I think that Paul is trying to counter in Timothy the temptation to refrain from telling the false teachers to stop confusing the people by speaking false doctrine. It would be so easy to just let it pass unsaid and pray that the teachers would stop doing this, but Paul says that Timothy MUST speak out about it.

God bless. Love from Greta

:wub:

Paul is Timothy's encourager. He is reminding him of his calling & the importance of what God wants him to do so he doesn't get discouraged & lose heart.

Fight the good fight--knowing what & who you are fighting for & whose battle it is--then going forth with courage to the end.

Keep looking up and living--producing the fruit of the Spirit--a blameless life--not letting Satan get a foothold anywhere.

He doesn't want Timothy to lose focus or to let anyone or anything persuade him not to follow the truth & preach the truth.

Q4. (1Timothy 1:18-19)

Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him?

Timothy was singled out by prophetic utterances that he would serve our Lord Jesus. Paul needed to encourage the young Timothy that he had to rebuke the false teachers in his church, and that if he should ever be tempted to lose heart or become discouraged in the work of the Lord, he should remember these prophesies and thus be inspired and stimulated to

Why does Paul need to remind Timothy about the prophecies spoken over him?

Paul is reminding Timothy that when he was commissioned, God's Spirit had spoken through a person with the gift of prophecy concerning the spiritual gifts that Timothy had been given. Now, instead of being overwhelmed by the task, Timothy is to be aware that God's power and strength are with him, that God has fitted him to this task.

To help Timothy keep his eye set on the mission set before him. To not give up.

In practical terms, what does "fight the good fight" really mean?

To hang in there, resolve to hold to the truth regardless of the situation.

Why does Paul tell Timothy to "hold on to faith and a good conscience"?

Both of these things were deserted by the false teachers of the day. Paul is reminding Timothy that he will need these if he is to "keep his eye on the ball," and be focused about both his task and the purity of his own heart as he carries out his mission.

Though thoroughly trained by Paul, Timothy was virtually alone and isolated from a sound doctrine elder. He was surrounded by false prophets, some much older than he. It was neccasry that Paul remind him of his gifts and than he need not any man teach him anything.

Young people can be greatly influenced by older and seemingly wiser adults and in God's service it is important to remain stedfast in the Word which Paul was implying to Timothy in "fighting the good fight". It is easy to give in to false teaching when you are constantly barraged and outnumbered by those who agree to some religious teaching. This was why Paul was warning Timothy.