JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Timothy 2:8). What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse? What is so serious about worshipping with the opposite of love in your heart?

They had disagreements about who was fit to receive salvation.

You can't worship God in spirit and in truth if you have anything against your brother or sister in Christ. You won't be heard.

Q3. (1 Timothy 2:8). What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse? What is so serious about worshipping with the opposite of love in your heart?

The problem among the men of the congregation that Paul is referring to in this verse stemmed from the strife caused by those who were teaching false doctrines. God is pure and those that worship Him must come to Him with pure hearts and clean hands.

The problem among the men of the congregation is the controversy of salvation that the false teachers were causing among the people. Although they disagreed with one another they carried that anger with them to worship, which did not allow them to freely worship God. Worshipping with the opposite of love in your heart makes you a hyprocite. Worship is supposed to be an expression of your love for God. If you say you love God but hate your brother or sister in your heart, what you are really revealing is that you don't truly love God because man is made in the image of God.

Q3. (1 Timothy 2:8). What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse?

There was in this day a superstition that no prayers would be acceptable except those that were offered in the temple at Jerusalem. Later prayers were extended and acceptable if they were offered in the Holy Land. This later gave way to built oratories or places of prayer if these places were built by water or sea.

In Paul

I concur with the earlier comments, we can not go to the altar and worship God in spirit and truth if we carry anger towards others in our hearts.

God has always be concerned with the condition of our hearts. When we say one thing and feel another (with our heart) we are divided... Division is enmity against God. He desires unity, reconciliation, loving all, even those we have aught against. God will not listen or even hear prayers that come from this condition of the heart. He is not the focus when we act this way. He is not on the throne of our hearts... He is a jealous God and desires all of our hearts not just part of it. We can not fullfil our mission in life if we lack unconditional love in our hearts.

The anger in their hearts and their arguments over things not protaining to the gospel and bringing other men to salvation. He was telling them that their prayers were not heard by God if theri was any anger in their heart. Jesus said if you come to offer a sacrifice and have something against your brother leave your gift at the alter and go and be reconciled to your brother then come and offer your gift. God wants your worship only as it comes from a pure heart. We can't have a pure heart with hate living their. Jesus loves us so much that He streatched out His arms and died for us and he wants us to have that same kind of love for our brothers. I f we want our prayers to be heard then we must come to God with a pure and loving heart.

the men were infighting in the congregation. god will not honor or listen to the prayers until the one praying has reconciled to his brother and has a pure heart.

True worship comes from a pure heart. When we're focused on God and his holiness we enter into true worship. If we have discontent and strief in our minds we aren't focusing on God. God knows our innermost thoughts. He KNOWS who are worshiping and who are just going through the motions. There is nothing more beautiful than a group of people worshiping in one accord. ALL focused on the Lord. That's when you feel the Holiness of God's presence. PRAISE GOD!! \o/

Q:3

Paul continued to give directions for the operation of local

Churches (ch. 3). But now the concern is for proper demeanours prayers,

But why these concerns, and why in this way? And why the

Inordinate amount of time devoted to the women in comparison with the

Men? Again, the solution lies with the false teachers. The word to the men

is an obvious response to their controversies and strife. The word to the

Women, therefore, may be assumed also to respond to this conflict

Paul did not command the men to pray with upraised hands. He simply described

Public praying as the Christians practiced it commonly in his day.

Pax

The problem was on form of prayer, worship and people were not having a right relationship with God and also with one another , but under the gospel, prayer is not to be confined to any one particular house of prayer, but men must pray every where. We must pray in our closets, pray in our families, pray at our meals, pray when we are on journeys, and pray in the solemn assemblies, whether more public or private. We must pray in charity; without wrath, or malice, or anger at any person.

I think there are a number of reasons

1. Holiness is a pre-requisite for acceptance before God. We are washed in the blood of Jesus and sanctified by the Holy Spirit thus we are holy members of the family of God. This is in our state before God, and this should be our state in our daily living.

2. Holiness in attitude and living should include self control, a fruit of the spirit, and an outcome of the our Godliness.

3. Quarreling implies disagreement of dissension with people, an indication of unpure heart towards people. A more of a reasons to seek reconciliation and holiness

my 2 cents

the condition of the heart is an excellent reflection of our belief - any beliefs for that matter.

a) lifting up holy hands - made holy by the blood of jesus; the righteousness of god in christ!

B) without wrath - forgiving freely as we have been forgiven freely; for they do not know what they do...

c) without doubting - because god hears us always; based on the righteousness of christ - NOT OURS...

amen?

They are going through the motions of prayer however their hearts are not pure with love for God but full of anger and infighting. Anger is a secondary emotion so perhaps there was jealousy and selfish ambition present. Anyway they were not showing unity and love for God. There can be disagreements but they should be handled gently and with love.

Are we not in the danger of entering into false worship if we have hate in our hearts for our brethren, those who God loves while we worship.

Some Bible verses I found on love:

Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at anytime. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:21 And this commandment we have from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Proverbs 10:12 Hate stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

We need to pray for each other and as always I have work to do in every area of my life. Our enemy seeks to take our minds off Christ to make us ineffective for His kingdom.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The anger and doubt that the congregation of Ephesus displayed showed irreverence toward God and was completely contradictory as to who He is and what He requires of us in prayer.

God is love and anger is hate. The Lord requires us to worship Him in spirit and in truth. When you approach Him with anger and/or doubt you are in the flesh, your mind is elsewhere rather than on Him so, your prayer is a lie. It's phoney.

Q3. (1 Timothy 2:8). What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse?

They were worshipping God while concealing anger and divisiveness in their hearts, stirred up by the controversies the false teachers were heralding to them.

What is so serious about worshipping with the opposite of love in your heart?

When we do that we're hypocrites...raising holy hands with an impure heart. We are instructed to worship with a pure heart, having forgiven offenders, and repenting for the wrongs and sins we've committed..before we begin to worship.Jesus referred to this as white washed tombs, full of decaying bones, and as cups that are clean on the outside, but dirty on the inside. Self righteousness wanting to look good, while covering and hiding the things inside that Jesus died to cleanse.

Recently I was aware of this in myself. I was trying to worship after having an argument on the way to church. My hands were raised and I probably looked like I was in worship, but my heart was not on God...it was on the hurt from the angry words spoken to me. I was just going through the motions. I stopped and in my heart forgave the offender and let go of the offense. Then I was able to enter into God's presence with a pure heart.

Wrath and doubt.

For men to lift up hands to God, is referring to the Jewish custom of washing

their hands before prayer; to signify they had put away all sin, and purposed to live a holy life.

Wrath is the opposite of love, and doubting is the opposite of faith.

Our hands lifted in praise to God, should be, because we have purposed to live holy lives.

When we lift our hands before God, the desire of our hearts should be with hearts circumcised

with love, and faith; Hearts thankful to God, for sending to us our savour, Jesus.

Jesus sound teaching to us is that we live lives according to godliness. God is holy and we must worship Him in holiness.

Our loving one another is a sign of godliness. Love is God's gift to us, we must put it to practice, a habit that will be a light to those around us, of the wonders of God's love, and its changing power.

Paul was telling the church that Christ died that all might be saved and all men have the right to thank and praise the Lord.A lesson that we can learn from this verse is that when our prayers are going unanswered then it is time that we need to make sure that our hearts are right with God.Refocus our lives on the one and only savior and all else will fade into the distance and life get a new meaning .

Q3. (1Timothy 2:8).

What problem among the men of the congregation is Paul referring to in this verse?

The hearts of the believers were full of anger and hatred brought about by the infighting that the false teachers had caused. We will find that we cannot pray in peace while we have any anger or animosity towards others in our hearts. We need to be at peace with all, and to have confessed our sins before saying kneeling before our heavenly Father. If not, God will not hear our prayers.