JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:9-12) Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us?

We were created for relationship...to know and to be known. We rely on companionship, fellowship, love, time spent together, support, fun, laughter, counsel, connection,and much more from friends. Trusted friends are few and far between in my experience, and I cherish those above the shallow acquaintances, of which there are many. A true and trusted friend "deserting" us leaves a huge hole in our lives. It means grieving, and loss, and I'm assuming this means leaving on good terms but we are feeling deserted. If it's a cruel emotional abandonment, that's another whole issue...betrayal, and all sorts of negative emotions and difficulties.

Why is it so difficult when they move away or die?

We no longer have access to the life which has meant so much to us.Their move creates a void. We may feel lonely or rejected. If they've moved, they begin a new life elsewhere which doesn't include us in the way we were before. If they die, it's a permanent separation while we're left here on earth. There may be regrets we are no longer able to rectify, or goodbyes to be said, love left unexpressed, etc. If they die and are unsaved, that means a permanent separation forever and deep grief and sadness over that aspect as well.

Is it better to trust no one?

I don't think it is...that would be one lonely desolate life! We are meant for connection, though we can't trust everyone who comes into our lives. But it's a precious gift to be given when we are trusted and our friend is trustworthy.

Who remains with Paul besides Luke? (Hint: see verse 17a).

I love this question! I had to read it twice to see that it was the Lord Himself who stood by Paul and strengthened him to continue ministry to the Gentiles, unto the end. "He is the friend Who sticks closer to us than a brother", after everyone else might desert us and leave....He never will, we're promised. So comforting!

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:9-12) Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us? Why is it so difficult when they move away or die? Is it better to trust no one? Who remains with Paul besides Luke? (Hint: see verse 17a).

I think it hurts to loose people in our lives so much because we have things in common-especially the Lord. Or, we have spent years with them and know them so well (or so it seems), and then when they die or move away, it feels like we got sucker-punched in the gut. It feels like a part of us has been taken away.

I know that when my parents went home, I had a hard time of it. I didn't want to let go. My dad went home first, and then my mom 3 years later. They had been married to each other for 54 years. My mom was lost without Dad. She spent most of her life with him. So, when she went home to Jesus, I knew that she was looking for Dad, and he was looking for her. The thing that gets me through is knowing that they are with God now. No more sorrow-no more pain. They are in the Savior's loving presence, along with other loved ones and friends. Oh how wonderful to know that God is taking care of them now! I can't wait for my turn to go! Got to go shout! Bye!

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:9-12) Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us? Why is it so difficult when they move away or die? Is it better to trust no one? Who remains with Paul besides Luke? (Hint: see verse 17a).

We hate to lose things but especially friend that have been there ,that we haveshare our deepest thoughts and cares with. We feel more alone than we have ever felt when devoted friends suddenly up a leave. When they move away or worse die we feel lost forever we see our selves as never being able to see them or share with them again so we feel like we have lost a large part of ourselves. I sometimes think that it would be better to trust noone but that is the devil we need someone to trust that is why God said it is not good that man should be alone we need a helper during our struggles. Psalms says two are better than one if one falls the other is there to help him up. Paul need that helper to help him keep his focus on God during his time of lonelyness. THe one who is always there, He said He would never leave us nor forsake us. He is our reefuge in times of need,and suffering, Our shelter from the storm. Jesus sent our Comforter to be with us the Holy Spirit of God, comes and ministers to our spirit during the hard times when all seems lost.

At times in Christian life no matter how strong one is in Faith, he/she may need other members even if they may look weak to strength them.

It is very pain when one leave you especially to whom you are used in a fellowship on congregation.

It is good to trust others because we all have some weakness in one point or another.

Besides look It is God who remained with Paul.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:9-12)

Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us?

We as true Christians are in the minority in this world, and any loss of a fellow believer is a loss we feel personally. Yet we always have our Lord who, as in Paul

(2 Timothy 4:9-12) Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us?

Trusted friends are very difficult to find in the first place. They are few, and far between. Trust builds gradually, and they are always friends of long standing. They have become a very important piece of the fabric of our lives, woven in deeply and adding vibrancy to the colour of life. Often they are more close to us than family, especially when family do not understand the gospel. Thus, when a trusted friend deserts us it is like having the mat swiped right out from under our feet. It dislodges us completely. instituting an adjustment and deep grieving period for us. It challenges our faith in our other friendships, as if one can leave, what about the others. Eventually it strengthens our faith in God as He will NEVER leave us or forsake us, and establishes us more strongly in relationship with Him who watches over us.

It is difficult when they move away or die because we feel the same sense of desertion, but it is not desertion as such. It is just that their lifestyle becomes more distant and we feel great loss. It is difficult to make the adjustments, and operate without them in close proximity, without their immediate impact on daily events, without their wisdom and humour etc. We have to learn to give away that which has become such an important part of our lives that we have become dependent on it. Dependency is difficult to release.

How limiting this would be! One's heart would simply cripple up and die. That is really about un-forgiveness, anger and retribution, which we certainly do not need to establish as a way of life. It is better to deeply and richly appreciate the friendship we have been privileged to experience, and pray for them God's richest blessing in their future. Praise the Lord for many ways of keeping in touch these days. We are so blessed.

THE LORD will never leave us of forsake us!

We create a bond of love and security with trusted friends and when these friends desert us or when they die, we feel this loss in many ways. We have learned to count on them in times of stress and now the comfort and support is no longer there from this person. We must remember that God never leaves us and that is the real security which a Christian know. :rolleyes:

I think of someone running away when I read the word desertion or being left in the lurch. Under these circumstances I would feel great sorrow and possibly even feelings of disrespect to these so called friends.

In the case of real friends that move away or die my feelings would be of mourning or and sadness .I think as humans we were made to build up relationships and at times you can feel very lonesome when friends depart from your company.

Trusting in ones friends builds up and nurtures the relationship and often helps to distribute the load. I think that by trusting others it helps to affirm ones trust in the Lord.

Just as with Paul the Lord is always there for us and we can lay all our burdens at his feet.

It is so difficult when trusted friends desert us because they betray our trust, they are not as we trust; we have already spent much of our time, resources for them for a particular goal, but all of them become vain because of their deserting

It is so difficult when they move away or die because we no longer have the ones who always help, support me, with whom we can share life one another, with we can enjoy together things each of us like, our hope or goal in them is gone.

No. We should trust one person or more in our life, because we need them to be our friends and to achieve our goal or God

Good friends are the people that you do life with. You've shared your life with them and vice versa. They have somehow enriched your life because you them. When they leave, it's the end to that part of your life. The relationship changes and you have to start talking about them in the past tense. I'm thinking of things like weekly coffee or inside jokes that you had just aren't part of your routine anymore. And if the parting is on bad terms, what used to be love gets turned in anger and mistrust.

Losing a loved one is hard because not only is all the above true, but it's permanent (as long as you're on earth). I have a friend who moved about 4 hours away from me. I can go to where we had breakfast on Fridays and then Email her and tell her the little old guy that used to mess up our orders is still around. If she died, I don't even have that connection.

One of my favorite books is Beth Moore's "To Live is Christ". It's about Paul. The first time I read it I was getting ready to move from my first to my second )both were church plants, Paul would be proud). One chapter that stuck with me the most was about how Paul knew that he wasn't going to stay in one place for very long. HOwever, he committed himself to relationships everywhere he went, knowing that leaving each place would hurt. I think part of our call is to be in relationship with other believers (and pre-Christians) because I think that it's the only way to get God's work done and it's the part of what's meant by living to the full.

It causes us intense pain to be deserted or betrayed. It is the same when someone moves away or dies. "I want to cry out please don't leave me alone in this world."

We need to find someone to trust. It fills a vacuum of lonliness and it gives us joy.

The Lord was with Paul and He is with us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

It is hard when trusted friends desert because we have built a friendship in the trust. When they move or die, it is like a part of you is missing. No, it is not better not to trust anyone. The Lord was with Paul.

Why is it so difficult when trusted friends desert us?

We feel betrayed or mistreated when trusted friends abandon us. For me, the relationships with my true friends are forged by both good times and bad. These trusted relationships have been tried by fire and fights. The bond created or shared between brothers and sisters in this situation is strong. It just hurts when this dies or goes away.

A good example is losing a family member or friend who was the person you went to in tough times. One feels an emptiness that is simply tough to handle. I lost my father at an age where I had a very difficult time handling his passing. The world becomes much less without them.

No, but trust is not given easily. For whatever reason, people can be cruel. I have learned that the one constant and source of my strength is the Word. If I trust in the Word, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. One of the ladies in my Sunday School class who is 75 told me "Put your trust in the Word, not the minister, not the deacons, not the elders, nor anyone person. Put your trust in God, she said, as God does not change." :)

The One who said

When Paul had been abandoned by Demas because he loved the present world. He could not endure the hardships of the ministry. Just as Paul, when our friends that start out with us is no longer faithful on the missionary journey it cause us to want to here encouraging word from other friends who have not abandoned their faith in Jesus Christ. The Lord is faithful, Paul stated in (V 17a).

But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, The Lord is always their for the asking, Praise The Lord, Thank you Jesus, and bless His Holy Name.

We loose a source of encouragement when friends leave us. They in a sense become a part of us and when they leave it can feel as if something is missing. It challenges our faith. We must keep God our main source He will never leave us.

• 1 month later...

It is difficult when a trusted friend desert you because of the fact that you and that person were so close and that you really trusted that person. It is difficult when the person move away because you feel alone and it

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is difficult when trusted friends desert us because we feel abandoned. It is difficult when they move away or die because we anticipate missing them and not being able to share moments of visits. No, it is not better to trust no one, we just have to accept the fact that people are only with us for a season. Remaining with Paul besides Luke is the Lord. He has told us that He will never leave us but will be with us always.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It is difficult when trusted friends desert us because of many things

• 6 months later...

I think that it is so difficult when trusted friends desert us because we miss their companionship. They were always there when we need them. The same thing is true when they move away or die. We have to move on life and find new friends.

We need to trust others so we can discuss our problems with them. It is just best that if we get to know them and sometimes that takes quite a while.

The one that remained with Paul besides Luke was the Lord.