JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Come Before Winter

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter? What happens if Timothy delays? Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side? Would you, if you were Timothy?

Paul asked Timothy to bring his cloak, which will keep him warm during the winter months. If Timothy delays, then he will not be able to get to Paul because the Mediterranean will be closed soon, and travel will be impossible.

I think Timothy dropped everything and did what Paul asked him to do-I would have! To be able to serve Paul would have been the next best thing to seving Jesus! A true honor!

the window of opportunity for travel would soon close/paul had need for his cloak

a missed opportunity to serve

i hope he did

i hope i would have--not too tied down with things here....

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter?

If he delayed, Paul might not live through the cold winter and weather would force Timothy to postpone the journey until Spring. Paul needed his cloak and parchments, but it seems that Paul needed the warmth, love and connection with his dear son in the faith, and I think, the reassurance of speaking to Timothy perhaps one last time, face to face, as his time on earth was at the end....to die knowing that Timothy was sound in faith and doctrine and would stand fast at his post, to say goodbye, and to impart personal words to Timothy alone, rather than in a parchment to the Church. Perhaps this is why he asked him to bring John Mark as well.

What happens if Timothy delays?

Since nearly everyone had deserted Paul, he had no provision against the cold. Paul wanted to gather and distribute his parchments while he was alive...tying up loose ends. He might have died alone without the comfort of a loving farewell to his "son", as well as to John Mark who had deserted him early on, but was now a trusted friend and co-laborer in the Gospel.

Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side?

I do. I don't think wild horses could have stopped him from allowing Paul this one last pleasure on earth, and the knowledge that he is the one Paul is depending on and wanting to feast his dying eyes upon. I think Timothy would want to hear Paul's last words and his voice once more.

Would you, if you were Timothy?

I would! I would have wanted that same touch and reassurance that Paul continually gave Timothy in order to stand firm, and I would have wanted to try to fulfill Paul's dying "wish"...(I love that he didn't command him to come. Paul allowed freedom in his disciples, as Jesus does, rather than trying to dominate and control them as a cult figure might do.) It would be as if a beloved parent was in a hospital bed knowing their time was short and asking me to try to get there before it's too late to say goodbye and knowing there may be something critically important they want to say before dying.....

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter? What happens if Timothy delays? Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side? Would you, if you were Timothy?

I don't know that we can find this in scripture but I would agree with pastor that it might have to do with the time of year,weather, or the timing of paul's death. I would again have to guess but he would possibly not get to Paul before he is excuted. I can only say that I hope Timothy got their in time I often wonder why there is no letter from Timothy is scripture but that is the only way we would know for sure. I would again hope that Iwould do my best toget there but we can never know for sure.

Probably because of the dangers of the navigation then, and because the circumstances of the apostle were such as to demand the presence of a friend.

Whether Timothy saw the apostle before he was martyred is not known.

If I were me am not very sure if I could have dropped everything and rushed to Paul. The persecutions was very high and everyone was afraid

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a)

Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter?

The winter weather made travel very difficult or impossible. Paul needed Timothy

It is important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter because travel became more difficult in winter because of storms, which caused the Mediterranean to be closed to shipping. So, if Timothy does not make haste, he will probably leave after winter.

If Timothy delays, he will not meet Paul again forever because Paul will have been executed, and he will lose the opportunity forever to assist Paul in his last days

Yes, I think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side. It is because he was a Paul’s very faithful associate and disciple, and he has a very close relationship with Paul, he with Paul is as a son with his father.

If I were Timothy, I hope I would have done the same

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter?

Paul is under sentence of death, which could be implemented anytime. He has been deserted by most of his friends who don't want also to be caught and imprisoned under Nero. Winter is approaching in the physical and metaphorical senses, and he needs his coat, and wants to work with his papers once again.

If Timothy delays, Paul will suffer dreadfully during the time he has left in prison in winter, feel even more isolated and deserted, and face death alone (apart from Jesus).

I certainly hope he did. Paul was his mentor from the very beginning and had invested much time and faith in Timothy. I think it was most important that Timothy be there for him at this time. This is what it means by respecting one's "parents" or elders, an it would be wrong to be slow in answering this call. Paul had often called him "son".

I certainly hope that I would go. People are much more important than things, and Jesus was all about people. God is the God of relationships, and there was a very deep bonding between Paul and Timothy. Many blessings and much fruitfulness came of this relationship. I'd say it would be imperative to come in such circumstances. Jesus emphasised the importance of assisting prisoners, and there was no prisoner more valuable and important than Paul.

It is important that Timothy travel before winter mainly because weather conditions in the area did not permit traveling at that time of year.I think Paul was also concerned that his death was imminent and he really wanted to see Timothy again.I think there was a father son relationship here and Paul was also his mentor.He also wanted his coat and paper work which I think he might want to hand over to Timothy in person.

I believe that Timothy would have dropped everything at the time knowing that it could be his last chance to see Paul.Also for the same reasons Paul had the parental thing .

I most definitely would if I were in timothy's place I think he also needed that final face to face inspiration that he knew Paul would offer.

Paul has strong feelings about wanting to see Timothy before Paul's death which could come soon. If he doesn't get there before winter, he may not be able to get through the winter conditions until Spring and this could be too late. I do think Timothy loved and honored Paul and dropped everything and went to Paul's side. I would go quickly if I were in Timothy's situation as delaying may be too late. :huh:

There was a good cance that if Timothy could have missed the boat if he didn't hurry, and in this case, missing the boat meant missing his last opportunity to see Paul on Earth. I think that Paul wanted to gather his firends and family in Christ around him before he died. He wasn't in a bed, but he was on his death bed. We recently had a scare with my grandmother where it looked like she might pass, all the family was called together to see her for the last time. That's what Paul reminds me of in this passage.

I don't know how bereavement days worked back then, but I expect that Timothy took a year off to make the trip. I can't imagine him not. Would I have made the trip? Absolutely.

Paul must have been very lonely for Timothy and he must have been cold because he asked for his cloak. If Timothy delayed it would have been difficult or maybe impossible to travel in winter plus Paul needed his cloak and he desired his parchments. I believe Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul. I hope I would have if I were Timothy. There was a strong bond in the Lord between the two of them and that is a piece of heaven we have on this earth with each other.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

It is important for Timothy to get to Paul before winter because travel was impossibe and so Paul could be warm with the cloak. If Timothy delayed, he would not get to help Paul with the ministry. Yes, I think he dropped everything and went to Paul. Yes, I would.

When he wrote this Paul somehow felt that his time on earth was coming to an end soon. I am sure Paul would have asked the Lord in his prayers about the whole thing. Paul is the spiritual father to Timothy and obviously Paul knew the dangers of travel those days. In spite of that he was asking Timothy to come means something to think about. I am sure Timothy would have made every effort to go and see Paul. If that was God

Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter? What happens if Timothy delays? Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side? Would you, if you were Timothy?

It is important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter as travel became more difficult in winter due to storms that basically closed the Mediterranean. Ships wintered in safe harbors between November and March. If Timothy delays he may lose any opportunity to help Paul or see Paul in his last days before his execution.

We do not know based on scripture but I think Timothy would and so would I.

Travel during Winter is more difficult, because of ice, snow, and storms.

Because the way through the Mediterranean will soon be closed and Timothy will not be able to get through to Paul.

I would like to think that the Lord will keep me in my right mind, and I would drop everything and make my way immediately to Paul if I were Timothy.

• 2 weeks later...

Travel during the winter could be dangerous, it could bring injury or death, and most important, Paul needed to see Timothy soon.

A delay could put Timothy into danger, something Paul warned Timothy of, a danger Paul did not want his friend to have to face.

The scriptures do not tell us if Timothy did go, but, as Paul tells us, Timothy was a man of affection and of loyalty. Even though Timothy, as a young man, suffered from fearfulness, (with good cause) Paul tells us, Timothy was a man of character, and Timothy was as dear to Paul, as a son; So, I would have to answer

Timothy was wanted before winter because travel was delayed for months in the winter. Paul may hve wanted his coat before the cold weather hit.

Unless the spiritual priorities were greater where he was Timothy probably went. If he didn't I'm sure the pull was strong to want to comfort his father in the faith. If there was an open door I would hope I would go but that is easier said than done.

• 1 month later...

It was important for Timothy to come before winter because it would be difficult for him to travel due to cancellation of ships and bad weather. Timothy may get there after Paul had been killed. I believe Timothy left right away. I would have too, because if I had not I would have had to live with guilt for a long time.

• 6 months later...

Paul was in prison and expected to die soon.

He needed his cloak to keep him warm during winter.

His cloak was with a person that Timothy als knows, so therefore he aks Timothy to get it.

Timothy had to bring it before winter, because that's the time people need a cloak.

Besides this, soon it wasn't possible to travel anymore.

If Timothy delays, he doesn't reach Paul in time.

Then Paul is frosen to death or he died someway else.

Paul just described how lonely he is and that he's at the end of the race.

Timothy knows that this is the last change to see Paul in this life.

If he was able to, he left - in spite of the danger and the risque of false teacher taking his place as a pastor.

Well, I can only say that I hope that I would have gone to see Paul right away.

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter because he will carry to Paul warm clothing, a heavy cloak, among other things. If Timothy delayed he would get caught up in the winter storms and arrive to Paul well into winter. I think Timothy made every effort to attend to Paul's request. If I were Timothy I would do the same.

• 2 months later...

Paul knew that if Timothy didn't get there before winter started he wouldn't be able to come. He needed his cloak and I believe he needed Timothy's companionship. If Timothy delayed he probably would never see Paul again here on earth. Yes, I think Timothy came just as quickly as he could because he was faithful and he loved Paul. He knew from the letter Paul needed him to come, so yes if I were Timothy I would go.

• 4 months later...

I think that it is because his death / execution is nearing and that his desired to see Timothy again before this took place. There also seemed to be a need for some personal items that would bring Paul some comfort and possibly a need to get some personal business straightened out.

Should Timothy delay the winter weather could set-in preventing his travels thereby loosing all opportunities to see Paul before his execution.

YES, I think he did