JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Woman, Behold Your Son (John 19:26-27)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary? What does this tell us about Jesus? How should we apply this in our own lives?

As the eldest son He was responsible for the wellbeing of his widowed mother and even under these horrendous conditions He was thinking of this. St John was very close to Him, and Mary was probably his aunt as well as the fact that he was loyal right to the end. I believe this in itself made him very dependable.

Christ shows us here the importance attached to family and responsibilities toward them. In His dying moments he finds the strength to make arrangements for his mother

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary? What does this tell us about Jesus? How should we apply this in our own lives?

As the oldest son, Jesus entrusted his mother to a person who stayed with him at the cross

AS the eldest son Jesus was according to the custom the one responsible for the welfare and support of his widowed mother,His other siblings at this point did not yet believe in Him so he gave John who was a faithful disciple and one who trully loved Him the task of taking care of his mother and looking after her needs.

Jesus great selfless love always did things for the benefit of others even in His final agony He took time to settle the well being and future of His mother . love motivated all He did . in the end everything in the law was also fulfilled he did all it required. He lived a perfect life and died in perfect obedience to His Fathers will.

by showing us by His example Jesus made it clear that the command to Honor your father and your mother was to be taken seriously and we always should care and make provision for our parents especially when they are older and cannot take care of themselves . today, it is sad that many remove the old and infirm from their homes turning over their care to institutions in the guise of providing better care for them but neglect them by withdrawing and depriving them of the family's love and comforting presence when they need it the most. Jesus tenderness and love made sure His mother would be comforted ,cared for and taken in as a loved and important member of John's family.

Because she will be a widow and will need someone to care for her. To protect from the ones who scorned Jesus. Jesus loved his mother and wanted to see that she was cared for. She was part of his family. We need to love our families. Even though we do not approve of some of the things our family members do we still need to love and respect them.

Q3. (John 19:26-27)

Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary?

What does this tell us about Jesus?

How should we apply this in our own lives?

In spite of His own suffering, the Lord had tender regard for others. Seeing His mother, and John, the disciple, He got John as the one who would hereafter take the place of son to her. John obeyed and took Mary to his own home. In calling His mother

But why John? Perhaps he did not trust his own brothers to take this responsibilty seriously. It shows jesus concern up to end for those around him. We need to watch out for our family even if it is only a telephone call or a written note. In our busy world we often forget about our families. This help to bring it into perspective.

If I had to entrust somebody to look after a person that is dear to my heart I'd pick somebody who was there when I needed him. Regardless of the family ties you want it to be somebody who takes his responsibilities very serious. Where are his brothers? The right thing to do would have been if his brothers stood up to take care of business and take this burden of his mind. But maybe they were ashamed of him at this time to be associated with a criminal who suffered a shameful death. As so many times in life the true friends show up when you need them.

This scene is another testemony of how great the love of our Lord Jesus really is. He puts everything and everybody before himself and without a word of complaint. This is a good example for our everyday life when we far to fast resort to excuses to escape our daily responsibilities - it's not just about family (but it's a big part of it).

When we need help with something, who do we turn to? The one who will not say "no"! We will ask someone who is always there in times of trouble. That may not necessarily be family, sad to say! Jesus knew that John would take care of His Mother much better than any one of His brothers. After all, they were no even at the cross with Him because they were afraid to be identified with Him.

This tells us that Jesus wanted to make sure that all His afairs were in order. He wanted to make sure that His Mother would be cared for. I used to walk through the nursing home where my Mother spent her last days and feel shame and embarassment because a lot of the elderly in this place had been abandoned by their children. Some of them would wander up and down the halls asking people that passed if they were related. That is no way to treat a parent.

I guess I already answered this question. I think we should be responsible for our parents after we are grown. I didn't have the best relationship with my Mother, but I loved her so much. I didn't take care of her like I should have, but I tried. So many times we get all wrapped up in our own lives, and we forget those who raised us. My parents were in no way perfect, but neither am I as a parent. I know now that my parents did the best they could. They gave their love the best they could and knew how. Hard to give love when you've never received love. Both my parents came from abusive homes. They both were able to forgive. We can, too

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary?

John was the disciple who was closest to Jesus..."the beloved". John was there, devoted and grieving, as was Mary, unlike his other disciples who had fled in unbelief. His brothers were absent and may not have come to belief in Him yet. John lived to be an old man...I wonder if that entered in, since He told Peter how he would die, He must have known there would be other early deaths for some of His disciples, including His brothers. Just as our Father provided the believing thief on the cross as a comfort for Jesus in His last hours, He provided mutual loving support for these two believing disciples...John and His Mother. Perhaps it was to lessen another upheaval in her life in the future. Pastor Wilson mentions the complicated family issues. I would think that with John, and her sister, John's Mother, would be the best and safest and most comfortable place for Mary to be. Sadly, in my own life, it has not been family who stepped up in our time of need...it was other believers in Christ.

Jesus was true to His Divine nature to the very end...though suffering a horrid and painful death, He was concerned with His Mother's welfare, and for John, to whom Mary would also be a comfort. He was leaving this life in a few hours, yet He concerned Himself with the welfare of those He loved and for whom He felt responsible.

The Golden Rule covers this...Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Also, we are to love and respect our parents. Paul said in 1 Corin. that we are not to hide ourselves from the needs of our own flesh and blood. Many parents need physical or financial help in their later years, or both, and if the children are able, scripture tells us to provide care for them. In Jesus' day, widows were to be cared for by their eldest son...Jesus' role, but He would be gone, so John as His cousin, friend, and intimate disciple was chosen for this honor. Today if family neglects elders, the church is commissioned to help them.

Because He would no longer be able to take care of His mother. He also loves her and His obligation is to His family in that sense. Jesus was compassionate and thinking of others even though He was dying on the cross. We should love our families, respect and obey our parents and do our best to mend any broken relationships as we are to love God first then love our families.

Jesus loved & cared for His mother. He knew it was His responsibility and He was very close to John. Perhaps Jesus knew in John's position he was better able to care for the reponsibility of Mary, where his brothers & others weren't. He met needs even on the cross. Here He meets the needs of a soon to be widow and a lonely man.

Jesus was thinking of others way ahead of thoughts for himself. I cannot imagine myself being in that much pain & thinking that clearly--let alone for needs of others.

We have responsibility for our family & their needs--physical, emotional & spiritual.

As His closest confidant and most beloved apostle, Jesus entrusted the care of His Mother Mary to St. John. He gave him this responsibility instead of relying on His own brothers..."For not even His brothers were believing in Him" (Jn. 7:5).

The provision that Jesus has arranged for His Mother tells us how Jesus loved Her and His obedience to His Father's 4th commandment (Ex. 20;12). This also tells us that in this instance, Jesus did not show omnipotence as the Son of God, but as a Man, a Son who respects and deeply cares about His Mother's welfare after He is gone.

We can apply this in our own lives if we make a concrete realization of His words "Follow Me"(Jn. 1:43). Jesus is our Lord, Savior and Teacher; moreover He is our Divine Leader, a Leader who have many times shown "Leadership by Example."

It could be that he was the only male there and Jesus saw the need to have someone look after her. It may be that since John was a cousin that Jesus felt the right to appoint him as her overseer. If John was truly the desciple that Jesus loved then Jesus may well have trusted him most and felt he would do better by her. I believe that even in His death Jesus never stopped being God and foreknew that John would carry on the ministry and would be a devoted severant to His Mother(Mary).

Jesus makes St. John responsible for his mother Mary because he knows that he can trust John to carry out his beliefs and take care of his mother because he also sees how he takes care of his own mother. Jesus cares about his mother and worries about her for when he is gone. we should act as if jesus set this upon us and carry out his ministry.

Jesus makes St. John responsible for his mother Mary because first, St John is her close family, Mary is his aunt, whom he must love and be responsible for; second, St. John is one whom he could trust to take care of Jesus’ mother well

About Jesus, this tells us that he loves and care for his mother and is responsible for her welfare

We should apply this in our own lives in ways that, first, love our parents, no matter what; second, are responsible for our family obligations, for our family welfare

Jesus knew he was responsible to provide care and protection for his mother after his death. He knew John would take her in and provide for her. It shows how loving and caring Jesus was toward his family and even us. Jesus loved his family regardless of unbelief they showed. We should apply this in our lives as Jesus did. To love our family regardless of how they act or what they did. Take care and provide for them.

Joh 19:26 So when Jesus saw his mother and the disciple who was dear to him, he said to his mother, Mother, there is your son!

Joh 19:27 Then he said to the disciple, There is your mother! And from that hour the disciple took her to his house.

Jesus is responsible for his mother he is the oldest son. John is his trusted friend and relative, John knows all the secrets that Jesus has been telling and was willing to live his life according to them while his own brothers doubted him...he would see John as more trusted to live his mothers care to. Jesus loved his mother and wanted what was best for her. He cared about her as he hung on a cross. Our parents are important to us. I learnt this at a time to late for myself. This is a lesson I learnt when my mother was dying...

Joh 19:26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he kept loving standing there, he said to his mother, "Woman, here is your son."

Joh 19:27 Then he said to the disciple, "Here is your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.

Jesus made John responcible for Mary because John was the favorite and he is trusted.This tells us that Jesus trusted John enough to let him take care of his mother. love everyone even if they don't believe

I believe that Jesus makes St. John responsible for His mother Mary because it was Jewish custom for the eldest son to take care of his widowed mother. I think He chose John because He was close to him and trusted that John would do right by His mother.

This action tells us that Jesus loved His mother very much and He adhered to the Jewish customs.

We should apply the same kind of love and care towards our parents today. Too often, widows & "widowers" are left to fend for themselves by uncaring children. This should not be so. The Bible says that we are to honor our father and mother; it doesn't say do this 'if' you happen to love or like them, but just do it. Besides, God's Word also tells us that we should love everyone. Leaving an elderly parent who is no longer able to do for themselves is showing neither love nor honor.

In those times it was the sons duty to take care of his mother...this tells us that jesus loved his mother and was concerned in how she was taken care of. We too as children should care for our parents and respect them just the same:)

Q3. (John 19:26-27) Why does Jesus make St. John responsible for his mother Mary?

Jesus loved John and trusted him enough to take care of His Mother.

Even during His suffering on the cross, He was thinking about the welfare of others.

This teaches us love and responsibility. We are to love others especially our parents, and we are responsible for making sure they are always taken care of. :rolleyes:

Even while dying on the cross, Jesus was concerned about his family, He instructed John to care for Mary , Jesus' mother. Jesus had trust in John that he would take care of His mother same as He had Loved Jesus.

Our families are precious gifts from God, and we should value and care for them under all circumstances.

Jesus remained responsible to His mother, but also to the Jewish tradition which required the eldest to look after the mother. It also revealed the amount of trust Jesus had in John. Jesus was not going to leave His mother to fend for herself with Him gone. He was going to ensure she was provided for. This revealed that family and Jewish tradition still mattered to Him.

Perhaps, this means for us today, that there traditions which encourage us to take care of family should still be valued. And also, we should follow Jesus' example and be compassionate in all circumstances.