JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. It Is Finished (John 19:30)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

Jesus had finished what He came to earth to do He had done the Fathers bidding to the letter. Our Lord was now satisfied that all he was commissioned to do was complete. He lived His human life in complete obedience to the Father knowing all along the fate which He would have to face. He never deviated from the plan or tried to make things easier for Himself.

My hope is that one day I will be able to say these same words

Jesus was finished with the assignment that God had given Him. His purpose had been fulfilled. His mission was accomplished.

To obey God when he gives us an assignment. We all have a purpose in life that God wants us to fulfill to His glory and we need to be attentive when He is speaking to us.

Q6. (John 19: 30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this sixth word: "It Is Finished"?

Jesus finished the test of faith. He has succeeded in elucidating the essence of His incarnation: The triumph of good against evil. The scripture was fulfilled and the gateway opened for the spread of Christianity.

The sixth word made us learn the fruitful outcome of obedience, trust and surrender to God's will...for "whatever God designs is perfect."

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"?

He finished everything He came to do.....He fulfilled every prophecy about Himself, lived a sinless, perfect life, preached the message of Salvation, then entrusted it to His 12 Disciples so that through them His message could be carried to the world, then suffered and died on the Cross as the substitute Lamb for my sins which He carried on His body to the grave. As His blood dripped onto the ground He removed the curse placed there in Genesis. He carried the wrath of God that I deserved for sin, on His body when His Father turned His back for a time. When He finished the work, the curtain in the temple, which was as thick as a man's hand, was torn from top to bottom, showing that the way is now open for me to come directly into God's Presence. He secured eternal life/ forgiveness of sin for "whosoever will come" to Him in faith. His broken, scourged body carried my sickness and grief (Isaiah 53) so that I may be healed by His stripes! I may be comforted in grief and trouble.

What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

His finished work empowers me to complete whatever His destiny is for me to accomplish, as I rely on His wisdom, guidance, and power. I don't have to fret and strain....He will live through me and complete the works He designed before I was born, for me to accomplish, as I surrender and yield to Him. It also says to me that there is purpose in my life..."IT" applies to me and is my reason for being born. I will continue to live until "IT" is finished, then I will die....but only the body. Paul said for the believer "To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ"....He went down into hell so that I don't have to. He finished that too. And while I am still alive, He took away Satan's power, so that I no longer have to live enslaved by him...He provided freedom from every kind of bondage.

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

It is finished; that is, now is my Father's eternal counsel concerning me accomplished, and now is the promise that he made of my becoming a sacrifice for sin fulfilled; both my Father's purpose and my Father's promise are now receiving their final accomplishment.

It is finished; that is, the scriptures are now fulfilled; all the types that did prefigure me, all the prophetical predictions that were made of me, all the Jewish sacrifices that pointed at me, have now received their final accomplishment in me, and are abolished in my death.

It is finished; that is, my sufferings are now ended, my race is run, my work is done, I am now putting my last hand to it, my death is before me, I have finished the work, the whole work, which I came into the world for, doing as well as dying; all is upon the matter completed, it is just finishing, it will be instantly finished.

It is finished: that is, the fury and malice, the rage and revenge of my enemies, is now ended, they have done their worst; the chief priests an soldiers, the judges and witnesses, the executioners and tormentors, have all tired out themselves with the exercise of their own malice; but now their spite and spleen, their envy and enmity, is ended, and the Son of God is at rest.

It is finished: that is, the glorious work of man's redemption and salvation is perfected and performed, consummated and completed, the price is paid, satisfaction is given, redemption is purchased, and salvation insured to a miserable world.

Woe unto us, if Christ had left but one farthing of our debt to the justice of God unpaid; we must have lain in hell to all eternity, as being insolvent; but Christ has by one offering for ever perfected them that are sanctified.

Yes, it is finished but look what just happened!!!

Mark 15:37-39

With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last. The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion who stood there in front of Jesus heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God."

The most amazing event...the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The curtain that separated the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place (Ex. 26:31-35)being torn, indicated that Christ had entered heaven itself for us to that we too may now enter God's presence.

This is part of the great mystery. We are no longer separated from our Heavenly Father. We can come boldly before the throne room of our heavenly Father.

Look further at Hebrews 9:11-28

He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. vs. 15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance" -now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

We are set free! A great earthquake, rocks split, tombs broke open, people were raised to life and appeared to many people. This was an extremely dramatic day for the believer as well as those who continued to doubt. Rejoice He is coming back again.

Jesus had finished what He had come to earth as a man to do--paid the price for our sins to save us.

We need to be living our lives with the same purpose--that of introducing others to their Savior; to keep that focus every day; be obedient and ready to suffer for/with Him.

Jesus came to earth with one primary objective -- to free us by defeating sin. I think the scope of the mission including teaching the disciples how to love and how to minister to the people so they could spread the word of what happened. It is finished means that His objective had been met, he had stepped on the serpant's head and freedom from sin, as well as the giving of life eternal had been accomplished.

What we learn from "It is finished" is that we are no longer in bondage to sin. There is forgiveness and joy in life. We don't have to live under the cloud of guilt and heartache, but we can embrace the power given to us through this sacrificial act. There is nothing we can't accomplish, assuming that we have the power of the God that defeated death behind us.

Q6. (John 19:30)

What had Jesus "finished"?

Jesus had finished the work His Father had given him to do; the pouring out of His soul as an offering for our sin; and the work of redemption and of atonement. Our Lord Jesus could announce that a way had been provided whereby all of us as sinners could be saved. So today we can thank God for the finished work of our Lord Jesus on the cross of Calvary! We can learn to live a disciplined life dedicated to Jesus. He died for us and we should be willing to live for Him!

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"?

He had finished what God sent Him to earth to do. He had obeyed His Father and His task was done.

We should fulfill the purpose that God put us on this earth to do. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...