JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Confession

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sin is progressive... If we dont confess there is a distance in our relationship so as we build and keep our relationship with Him the Holy Spirit will quicken our spirit to be obedient and confess our sins so we can be relaeased in our hearts and be forgiven He promises to forgive us if we confess and cleanse us from all wickedness. Often times we will hear or say I dont feel the presence of the Holy Spirit lately..well #1 we should not depend on feelings but if anyone moved we did He is faithful and He promises this and He does not lie

I believe that not confessing is my way of trying to rationalize my behavior, instead of admitting that I am wrong. Then I tend to cover it up and continue to commit the sin. By confessing I am admitting that I am sinning and it frees me to recieve God's pardon and helps me to turn away from sin and seek to apply His word and direction in my life. I believe that forgiveness automatically comes when we confess to God our wrong doings, the cleansing comes when we turn away from the sin and seek to live a purer life in Him and for Him.

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

A3.. Confession is a manifestation of a sincere acknowledgment or what we called

repentance. Repentance works hand in hand you cannot seperate to one another.

True repentance accompanied by voluntary confession.

Gener

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Confession is admitting we have sinned. It is important because if we do not acknowledge our thoughts or behavior is sinful then we are lying to ourselves and to God. If we stop confessing our sins our relationship with God begins to dry up until it is no longer. He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. To forgive us is to say it is forgotten, he no longer holds it against us, but to be cleansed is to be renewed.

(1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

Confession is an open declaraion of our wrong doing. Admitting and acknowledging what we have done is wrong.

The act of confession is important because only after we admit that we have done wrong can we change direction and correct it and walk back to light. As long as we do not confess, we will and can always convince ourselves that what we are doing is not wrong and be in self denial and try to justify our wrong doing and continue to sin. This is what happens to us when we stop confessing our sins.

God promise to be faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Forgiveness is pardon from our wrongdoing (which should be an act of the past) while cleansing is purifying ourselves to live a better future free from sin and wrongdoing.

How would you define "confession"?

Saying to another and to Jesus what your sin is.

Why is confessing our sins so important?

After confessing a sin we forgiven by Jesus and the sin is cast away never to be brought up again.

What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?

The devil then uses our sins against us. Our relationship with Jesus is short-circuited. We pull away from Jesus.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins?

They will put away as far as the east is from the west.

COMMING CLEAR AND ADMITING WE ARE TRULY SORRY,,,,WE DON;T HAVE FORGIVENESS...FORGIVENESS IF

WE ARE TRULY SORRY.....TRUE REPENTANCE.

Confession is acknowledging your sin. Confessing our sins helps us to live a clean life. If we stop confessing, then we lose our relationship with God. God is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin. Forgivness means we are pardoned of our wrong doing. We have a clean slate.

Confession is agreeing with God that our sin is sin. Pre-confession He already knows it is sin, He already knows we did (or didn't) do it, it's me who just hasn't admitted the full picture yet.

Keeping a short account is important. I've heard once that spiritual maturity can be measured by the length of time between sin and confession. From the passage in John confession leads to forgiveness and cleansing. God wants to mold our hearts; cleansing of unrighteousness is one way He does this.

confession our sins,gives us hope that we our forgiven and that we mean every word we are confessing to god is true.

to me,if i stop confessing my sins then i feel guilty and i dont have the truth in me anymore,

my promis that jeus gave me ill walk with you my child through every sin u done and walk with you through my trails.jesus loves me and he died for me,my love for him i so great.

we need to pray alot,go to church,and read our scriptures god is always beside us .,that the love jesus has for us.be in the light listen to him.

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"?

"Confession" is agreeing with God truth about sin, an act that was committed.

Why is confessing our sins so important?

It is important to confess our sins so that fellowship with God is restored.

What happens to us if we stop confessing our sins?

Sin unconfessed will continue and soon break the relationship with you and Father.

What are the promises given to us if we do confess our sins?

If we confess our sins God will forgive us of our sins and He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness.[/b]

How is forgiveness of sins different from cleansing?

With forgiveness we are pardoned for the sin committed, and His cleansing declare that we are clean again.

I have always considered confession, a pray of repentence to God. That you realize that you have sinned against him. That you realize you are wrong and ask for his forgiveness so that through perseverance and his power you walk more fully in the Spirit.

I noticed though that I often lack admittance to another of my sin. The way they confessed to John, a mature believer. This really make me think. How much more humbling it would be to vocalize out loud, to someone who is more mature than you, the sin you have done. The mature believer may also be able to give you spiritual guidance in how to overcome the sin you may struggle with be it small in the sight of the world or big.

If we do not confess our sins, we are being proud, we are refusing to recognize that we have done wrong. As childen of God, I believe that God will teach us how our pride and lack of confession is wrong. He will help us to humble our prideful hearts.

Forgiveness lets go. Cleansing helps to get rid of the our sinful nature.

When I confess I tell God everything that I have done, that seperates me from him. I ask for his forgiveness, for sins that I know of, also for all the sins I am not aware of. As it says in John 1:9 If we admit that we have sinned and confess our sins. He is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

vs10: If we say we have not sinned, we contradict his word and make him out to be false and a liar, and his word is not in us.

So If we do not confess, His light will not be in us, and we continue to walk in the darkness.

If we confess our sins,and really mean it, he will forgive us, and wash away all our Sins so that we will walk in the light with him.

I think that confession is to the Father more than to man. I believe that when we acknowledge that we are sinners and ask for giveness like the verse says He is faithful and just to forgive us. When we stop or fail to confess we are burdened with those sins, the Holy Spirit is grieved, He allows us to feel guilt and if we still fail to confess His hold or leading of us is lessened and we become more worldly and less men of God. If we give them tothe Father He heals us and cast our sins into the deepest part of the sea, moves them as far as the east is from the west. He remembers them no more. Forgiveness is just that not acknowledge that we ever sinned, forgetting them and giving us freedem from guilt. Cleansing is to wash us make us pure and Holy in His sight a new person without sin and a heart that trust Him and no longer wants to sin.

Confession to me means to admit that I am guilting of something (or maybe many things). It is agreeing with God that I am a sinner, guilty as charged. If we stop confessing our sins I think we are doomed to repeat them and we loose fellowship plus the wonderful feeling that comes when we unburden ourselves before our loving God and Father. He promises if we confess he is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse us. Like starting anew, afresh with a little reminder of the horribleness of sin and how it separates us from Him.

Forgiveness makes us alright with God and cleansing makes us free (clean) from the stench of sin.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

Confession is making your feeling of guilt and sinfulness to Christ in a contrite way. Confession is important

because we want to be pleasing to Christ as we walk with him and he walk with us. Let say you are walking

with your friend, you don't like to offend him or her as a friend of yours? If we stop confessing then we are

going around with guilt conscience.

If we confess our sins, we got relieved of our sinfulness and we feel good. Try it and you will be happy you did.

If we confess our sins, we become again a child of Christ. Forgiveness is inner receiption of God's mercy and

compassion.

The unfortunate reality is that we still can sin; by not confessing our sin we allow a void to develop between us and our Saviour. By not confessing our sin actually gives permission to sin to gain a foot hold in our lives.

But when we confess our sin He is faithful to forgive and to cleanse us, the void of guilt and shame have been removed, for He is faithful and just.

Cleansing is to apply a temporary remedy, forgiveness is to never recall or apply judgement.

Confessing is recognizing right from wrong, being humble enough to admit that I did wrong, and going to the source of forgiveness. It is with a repentant spirit and not just regret. Christ is our only source to identify right from wrong, to see His standards in life are the right choice, and to accept responsibility that it is He alone who can remove the sin so we may live the purpose filled life He has for us. Without forgiveness we carry with us a little more spiritual death in our hearts. That spiritual death or separation from God will eventually destroy us as Satan plans to do. Our life in Christ depends on all the choices before us to be life and not death. As we choose life we discover the great love and mercy of God. It is only His Grace extended to us which can actually cleanse and purify us. It is only then we are seen by the Father through the righteousness of Christ as holy. It is through forgiveness and the resurrection power from God that can lift us and empower us to live in this corrupted world and still be a citizen of heaven victoriously.

Confession is first an acknowledgment by me of an act or thought that is wrong. I realize it and I act on it by confessing it to the Lord. My action is based on seeking to restore my closeness to God. It is also based on knowing that He is quick to forgive, He delights in me, He wants me to grow and learn and above all reach out to others pointing to Him. Anything that I do that separates me from God must be addressed and acknowledged. Psalm 32 speaks to the joy of confession. Regarding confession it says:

"When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long. For day and night your heavy hand was upon me; my vitality was turned into the drought of summer." Psalm 32:3-4.

That is the result of a sin that is not forgiven. God's word is plain. "Blessed is he whose transgressions is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit." Psalm 32:1-2.

Always remember that God wants nothing to separate you from Him. Also know that He always knows of your difficulties, He only asks that you seek Him, He will forgive and He will release you from the bondage of unconfessed sin. I thank God for that always.

I often think of the term confession with reconciliation. Verse 9 of 1 John was one of the first verses given to me by a dear friend when I struggled so much in chronic sin. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." What hope that was for me, living in darkness afraid to come out for fear of condemnation!!! Little did I know at the time, there was now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus! When we learn of the love of God, our fears quiet and we can come and freely admit our wrong doings. Why? Because we know through the blood of Jesus, we are forgiven every one of them. We are justified through Christ and He is faithful to be true to any promises He has made to His own! Confessing our sins is so important for our growth as Christians. To purify us from unrighteousness. If one can't admit there is a problem with sin, no change will ever be made. Why should there? There's no problem!

What happens if we stop confessing our sins? Our hearts become hard and we no longer depend on God's help that we so desperately need. We take steps farther and farther away from walking in truth.

I think forgiveness of sins is different from cleansing because when we are cleansed of sin, that seems a process of dying to self, convictions of sin by the Holy Spirit and seeking change in that. I like how David said, "Create in me a clean heart O God and renew me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation." That's condensed, but I think it answers this question. He sought cleansing from his sin, he was repenting of his wrongdoing because he felt separated from God. He also asked to have his joy restored in knowing God's love and presence through salvation. That was his forgiveness and assurance of always belonging to God. His reconciliation with Him.

We seek repentance for our sins and we are reconciled to God through Jesus. Assured of our salvation. I draw on this a lot when satan tries to tell me my sins are too great to be forgiven and especially when I'm in a hard fought battle to get out of gripping ones! My hope is in His word. He is faithful and just to forgive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Q3. (1 John 1:9) How would you define "confession"? Why is

confessing our sins so important? What happens to us if we stop

confessing our sins? What are the promises given to us if we do

confess our sins? How is forgiveness of sins different from

cleansing?

Confession is important because it shows we agree with God about the wrong we did. Confessing to one another keeps us humble, and allows others to pray with us.

Our sins ARE forgiven. Confession is like rinsing the dirt of sin away with the purifying water of Jesus Christ.

[/quote

tongue.gifConfession involves knowing I am a sinner, being honest in admitting this all the while knowing our loving God will forgive us. Confession is so important because by doing so we recognize that we have done wrong and we do not deny this. If we not confessing our sin, we will probably grow "lazy" in striving to live to honor God but if we do confess our sins, God forgives us. Forgiveness of sins is made possible because of Jesus' death on the cross. Cleansing has to do with us become more righteous as we strive to glorify God in our daily walk.