JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Legalism vs. Love

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is truly a hard thing to do! For me, my flesh always starts creeping in and making 'comparisons' with others. Lord have mercy on me! I continually have to beg God for a heart like His so I can remember that anything I do for His sake, must be done for love.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

We must be sure we speak out of love for others, it is very easy to fall into the thought of be better than or more Christian than. We must continuously spend time with God through His Word, so that we will begin to think like God.

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

If we set out to obey, it becomes works. Then it is something I did and I am proud if my work. Just like the Pharisees.

But if we are in a loving relationship with Jesus, obeying will naturally flow out of that love.

How do love and legalism differ?

Love is a action of gratitude.

Legalism is an action of fear.

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

If you are confident that God Loves you and will care for you.

Then you are freed up to Love and care for other people.

This is obedience

Trust and obey. If we are obedient we will keep His commandments. Doing so requires constant thought and vigilance and leaves little time for an idle mind prone to sin (including character flaws). When we fail we need to trust that He will forgive us provided we ask for forgiveness and turn away from that sin.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

REALLY ASK FOR TRUE FORGIVENESS ...AND MEAN IT ...BE MORE CHRIST LIKE IN EVERY WAY ...

I think if we really examine ourselves daily, even as we take up our crosses daily, we discover that no matter how hard we "try" to keep the rules and obey Christ that we always fall so dreadfully short. That accurate view of ourselves I think helps us avoid being judgmental. Simply knowing that no matter how good I am that I can't earn my way to heaven is also helpful.

I think love and legalism differ in this...if I am legalistic I am following the rules for the sake of the rules; if I have love I am following the Lord for the sake of my love for the Lord and His love for me.

I think we can be serious about obedience with love at the center if we look at what the Lord says was the most important commandment...summed up in loving God and loving others. The rest of that verse states that ALL the law and the prophets are based on these commandments. So, if we truly love God and love others, obedience to Him is a natural outflow of that love.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

We will always fall short of God's expectation...that is a fact. Fortunately for us, because of God's unconditional love for us, we are saved. From time to time, we will always stuggle with being legalistic and judgmental. When we come to face that issue, it is important that we realise it and pray for God's love to fill our heart and that we can carry out the deed through God's love (if our own love is lacking)...to show unconditional love like God does to us.

Love comes with feelings and caring with no butts. Legalism comes with rules and conditions before love can even start to show.

Try our best to become more Christ like as God desire of us.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

Yes we can, but only through love. When we truly love God we would obey His commandments and love for our neighbor would keep us from being self-righteous and judgmental.

Love come from the heart. We obey God's rules because we love Him. Legalism, follows rules irregardless of devotion to God.

By drawing close to God daily, through time spent with Him in quietness, in His Word and in prayer.

If we show Our love of God to all, and treat all we meet with kindness and love. And treat all as our family. We will not become legalistic and judgemental.

Love is given freely from our hearts, But Legalism is laws, that we have to follow, Because they are the Law.

To be serious about obedience to god. we need to pray constantly. To be quite and feel Gods love for us. Tell god that we love him. To walk with him every moment of our lives, To be at one with Him.

We can be serious about obeying God without becoming judgmental & legalistic by focusing on our love Him and for others. It is hard for me to not look or act self-righteous--I hate it because I know who I really am & know what Jesus has done for me.

Love cares for the entire person. Legalism cares that each rule (generally man-made rules) are followed to the "T".

I can be more serious about loving others by focusing on Him and His Word daily. I need to digest It & let It have It's spiritual work done in & through me. Conform daily to Jesus, stay close to Him.

Obedience to Christ permeated by love is the only prevention against judgmental legalism. And I don't believe that kind of balance can be achieved without the empowerment of God's supernatural grace.

How are they different? Love obeys because it wants to; legalism obeys because it has to.

Love is in gratitude for acceptance; legalism is grasping to be approved.

Love is the source of obedience that honors God; legalism is the product of obedience that honors self.

The only way to be serious about obedience and still make love our center is to maintain a primary focus on the object of our love, the Lord Jesus Christ, who has given everything to secure our restoration to the Father. When our eyes are locked on Him, we barely even notice self. Acceptable obedience will naturally develop out of that.

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without becoming legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? I am serious about obeying the Messiah when I find the law is not a yoke, I find there is great joy in obedience especially in the little things, as when I give to those who do not have, not letting others know my good deed, it is when I go to my prayer closet for needs of others without them knowing.

Obedience to me is easy and it is difficult at the same time, it is difficult if I am walking in darkness, it becomes easy if I am walking in the Spirit. As a babe in Christ, I have to learn how to walk first, and then it becomes easier for me to run the race.

Love to me is following God’s law because I love Him, my desire, my goal is to be in fellowship with Him, legalism for the sake of legalism is following the law for the law’s sake, that builds in me pride, false love based on "SELF"

Love is something I can’t pretend, if I have true love, I would not cheat my brother, – if I love God the world will see my love, it is called “fruit" - seen in my obedience.

The Pharisees had so many laws and customs that had to be kept, that no one could keep them. Jesus wrote the laws on our heart and took all the laws and made them two - Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. If we keep those two commands we keep all the laws naturally. We also keep our focus on Jesus, knowing that without Him and the Holy Spirit we could never keep the law - that keeps pride out of it and the root of legalism and judgment is pride. How can we have a self righteous attitude when the free gift of salvation was given to all, and we did nothing to earn it. We are all sinners saved by grace.

Heather

By doing the things that Jesus commanded Loving God and our neighbor as ourselves. Putting our faith into action, visiting the sick the imprisioned and feeding the hungry will keepour focus on Christ and offour legalism and judgements. If we seek God first and His righteousness He will give us the rest including the Holy Spirit who will teach us and guide us in all things. He will keep us on the straight path that does the thing of God out of love not out of self centeredness.

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

we are sincere about obeying Christ

when we have the Lord at our centre

Love is warm, alive and pure

legalism feels like cold dogma

we can have Christ as our centre to guide us

I believe that love of the Lord leads to obedience and if you find yourself having to constantly remind yourself to live in obedience to His commands, then I would urge you to earnestly seek the greatest gift of all, that being love. Remember by this shall all men know that you are my disciples. That you "Love" one another as I have "Loved" you. It is this love that leads to obedience in Gods word, and it is through this "Love" that the Light of Jesus shines that all may come to know Him.

How easy it is to fall into a judgemental role, we sometimes speak before the Holy Spirit has had the opportunity to temper or reply. Thankfully the more time we spend with the Lord and in His word, we find the understanding and love that is required for the situation.

It may sound easy, but we are all to painfully aware of the 'old man' within us and we will make mistakes, but we learn and love. Thank you Lord for your understanding and unconditional forgiveness.

We can do this when we get a revelation that it is not "I" who lives, but Christ in me...that "I" am dead and it is He who lives...coming from a heart motivated by love and compassion...and having the standard of the Word of God as my governor in all things.

How do love and legalism differ? Legalism is what we "do"...Love is who we "are"...

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center? God is Love. When we make Him our center...all else flows from His heart.

wink.gifWe must always remember that we are sinners and are free only because of God's grace. If we keep this in mind at all times, we will not feel we have the right to be judgmental of others. Love means a care and concern for others whereas legalism means following the law irregardless of whether love for others is of upmost concern. We can be serious about obedience and make love our center by striving to serve Our Savior by loving His children just as He loves us.smile.gif

When we recognize that Christ came to save us even as we were fully enveloped in sin, we realize that only by grace were we justified. We brought absolutely nothing but our sin nature with us into our new relationship called santification.

Even though we have the ability to no longer sin, we have absolutely no idea how to not do so. Only by the guiding of the Holy Spirit can we learn to change from our old nature. Accepting this limitation is the first step in submitting to Christ.

Only a loving God would give His only Son to die for us. Only a loving Son would humiliate Himself to His Father's will on our behalf. True love is to take these actions while we were enemies inslaved by sin.

Knowing the depth of this love, how can we not respond? This love that is beyond human comprehension inspires us to let go of our rebelliousness in order that we might learn to love as we are loved.

Our old nature urges us to measure how well we are doing. It is easy to create rules by which we can judge our progress. When we do, our old nature urges us to compare ourselves with others to determine how we are doing in comparison. Our old nature drives Pharisitcal thinking.

Meanwhile, Christ only asks that we learn to be loved, submit to the counsel of the Holy Spirit, and to yearn to live holy lives.