JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Examples of Worldliness

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives?

The **** of the flesh is the passionate desire of the body, the **** of the eye is passionate desire of the soul through the eyes, and the vainglory of life is the empty pride, boast, and display of the material thing of the present life. These are the components of the world.

Why is worldliness so harmful to our future?

We can't serve two masters. We are either of the this world and serve the ruler of this world ( the devil) or we are passing through this world and we belong to the kingdom of the Father and we are not of this world as He is not of this world.

Q4. (1 John 2:15-17) What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives? Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves? Why is worldliness so harmful to our future?

this would be **** of the flesh, eyes, and boasting of what you have and what you have done, pride. As for me I never that of telling about what you had accomplished as a sin so I had to stop and repent and as the Lord to forgiven me for sinning unknowingly. It is what the people in the world does they tell others bout their accomplishment. I will never again do it I'm asking the Holy Spirit to help me in that area and ask that other pray for me as well.

The three bases are: the **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes and the pride of life.

These can be difficult to recognize sometimes--but the roots are greed, pleasure "have it your way", and worldly possessions and positions. We live in a world that is full of temptations every hour of every day. We need to rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us.

Worldliness is harmful to us because whatever minimizes our walk with God also keeps us from storing up treasure in heaven. This is a real battle we're in & we're not in it alone. Praise God!

Q4. (1 John 2:15-17) What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives?

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the **** of the flesh, and the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

They all are comparable to why we are in the mess that we are in.

Genesis 3:6 ¶ And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, (the desires of the old nature or flesh)and that it was pleasant to the eyes, ( the desires of the eyes) and a tree to be desired to make one wise, ( the pretentions of life) she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The same sin that began in the garden... disobedience to the will of Yahowah. These kinds of sinful temptations were also by the way, the same temptations that Yahushua showed us how to overcome while He was in the desert with the enemy. The hunger for the false bread of this world. Hunger for it’s false power that tries to glorify us, rather than Yahowah. The reliance on what is of the world rather than the Creator of all that is. Satan, by God's permission, may have power over the bodies of the best of men but we can be reassured because satan’s power is limited and bound because he can not tempt us above what we are able to overcome. He didn’t have the power to cast Yahushua down, but he did try to tempt Yahushua to do it Himself in hopes of landing on a pile of angels. What we also know from Yahushua’s experience in the desert is that satan is a conquered enemy; resist him, and he will run.

Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves? Probably because they have been around for a long time. I believe that these particular sinful temptations are a huge part of the enemies limited arsenal. He is sly and cunning. Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Why is worldliness so harmful to our future? Because it only appears to be our future but it isn’t lasting. This world will one day pass away and disappear and with it the forbidden cravings; the passionate desires, and **** of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides forever in Lord Yahushua and can not be taken from His hand.

Q4. (1 John 2:15-17) What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives? Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves? Why is worldliness so harmful to our future?

FLESH..THE EYES OF THE WORLD ....COMMITING SIN ...LOVING MORE THAN ONE GOD.

BECAUSE IF WEGO THE WORLD'S WAY ..WE DIE .. WITH GOD WE DIE TO SIN ...BUT LIVE FOEVER!

Sin is progressive and as we see things ie stuff money,success and that is all we can think about they b/c our god and take the place of Our Lord Jesus..even the strongest Christian if we are not careful these things can slip into our lives without realizing it.....esp if you are in the world.....as the Word say we need to be in the world but not of the world.

God wants us to be successful but again we must watch the flesh b/c our pride in what He has given us will have us live as if it was due to our doing, being.......

We must stay connected to Him through regular study of His Word and fellowship with brothers and sisterS in Christ to stay strong and cautious not to be drawn into the deceitfulness and lies of the enemy.....ALL IAM AND ALL I HAVE IS FROM HIM I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH HIM WHO STRENGTHENS ME ...BUT I CAN DO NOTHING WITH OUT HIM

Q4. (1 John 2:15-17) What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives?

The sins that are covered by the examples of worldliness that John gives are: 1) “the desires of the flesh” – man’s desire to satisfy the flesh by things that are forbidden. 2) “the desires of the eyes” – refers to man finding pleasure in those thing which the eye beholds and leads one into temptation and sin. 3) And finally, “the pride of life,” – man’s boasting of what he has and does.

Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves?

These are sometimes difficult for us to discern in ourselves because of the pleasure we allow ourselves to enjoy when falling into the temptation and sin.

Worldliness is so harmful to our future because it will soon pass away. It has no value in the world to come. Only what we do for Christ has any lasting value.

John's examples are the sins of the **** of the flesh, the eyes and the pride we so easily get entangled with.

I believe even well intentioned saints, when walking in the flesh, open the doors to demonic attack by succumbing to the desires of the flesh and the world because Satan lives to temp and lure us into his web of deception.

Worldliness is detrimental to our eternal lives because is distracts and keeps us from God's purpose(s) in our earthly lives.

**** **** of the flesh, **** of eyes, pride of life.

It is difficult to see our own weaknesses because we allow pride to stand in the way of seeing our own heart.

Worldliness will pass away. Worldly thing are of no value to our future with the Father. You cannot take material things with you to Heaven.

What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives?

these are the sins of an agitated mind

**** of the eyes... wanting more than we need or have a right to

**** of the flesh... grabbing more than we need or have a right to.

pride and arrogance... being full of self-importance and self-will

Blessed are the poor in spirit... Blessed are the meek... our Lord

till you love men so as to desire their happiness with a zeal equal to your own; till you delight in God for being good to all: you never enjoy this world Thomas Traherne

Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves?

the agitated mind has no time or space to see clearly

it is more likely to see faults in others than see faults within, this is because the mind is searching outside in the world for a sense of fullness, and sadly fails to look within.

The kingdom of heaven is within our Lord

when we are full of worldliness there is no room for God

not I, but Christ lives in me Saint Paul

There are times I like to relate the teachings of God to today, and I think this is a good time for that. There is a heated debate across America about health care reform. Some that have good insurance ignore the fact that 22,000 people die every year because of the extreme cost of health care. I have what I have and it is in God's hands that others don't is not a good enough reason not to care about our friends and neighbors. At least that is what Jesus teaches in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Much praise and honor is given to celebrities when they donate their time and money to worthwhile causes such as cancer research, AIDS research, and other health care related organizations. This is good and also so sad that most only donate their efforts after they themselves or a close friend or family member has suffered a relating illness. Isn't it much more honorable to give before, to give out of love for one another not even knowing who? Isn't this what Christ did for us, He died for our sins long before we knew Him.

Jesus says that all the law and all the prophets hang on two principles, not one then the other but both. The two principles are these, "Love God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself." Why is it harmful to any of us to abandon either one of these principles? A swing is hinged on two sides, if you unhook either side it becomes a rope. I find it much easier to sit in a swing than to dangle from a rope.

Darrell

What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives? The 3 headings given by John are the desire of the flesh (or the cravings of sinful man -NIV), the desire of the eyes and finally, pride in riches (or the boasting of what he has and does -NIV)(I have included the NIV translation for the first and the third categories, because for me it made the concepts easier to understand). I think that there is quite a bit of cross over between these 3 categories, and in particular between the 1st and the second where as I see it, the desires of the eyes could quite easily lead on to the desires of the flesh. However, in an attempt to break them down, I would say that the desire of the flesh is giving in to our basic sinful desires. So, for example, adultery would fall into this example. Desire of the eyes is a craving for all of the worldly things that we see around us, whether it be seeing someone and wanting to commit adultery (here is the potential for one example to lead on to another) or seeing something eg a bigger faster car, and wanting that car above all else. John's final example is taking pride in our own worldly achievements be it the salary we are earning, our status in society, or dare I say it, our status within the Church!

Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves? Because they are a natural product of our sinful human nature and have been ever since the first fall of man in the Garden of Eden. We are naturally greedy, we want more all the time, both in terms of possessions and in terms of recognition from other people. Look at the celebrity culture in which we live and you will see how this works itself out in the World. So we might perceive it as normal and certainly not sinful to desire a big fast new car and it can become difficult to discern when we slip into this mindset (which living in the World is all around us, and generally seen as a good thing).

Why is worldliness so harmful to our future? Because if we walk in the World, we walk in darkness and are alienated from God. The World and all that is in it will pass away, but God endures forever.

- things that you want for your body, like to much food 'gula'

- things that you want to look at even though it is forbidden, like **** which is leading to 'luxuria'

- pride or 'superbia'

It is difficult to see because Satan lies to us it is good for us or not harmfull.

We have to choose whether we want to be in the world or in Him.

The sins that create ungodly desires to our flesh (flesh desiring pleasures in the natural).

The sins that create ungodly desires in our souls (eyes are the gateway to the soul).

The sins that create ungodly pride to elevate us higher than God (pride of life).

These sins are difficult to discern in ourselves because in the natural realm, we like them...plain and simple.

Worldliness is harmful to our future, because it is based on the temporal...and it gives us pleasure for a moment...but not for a lifetime.

The sins covered by the 3 examples of worldliness would include, I think :

(1)all kinds of self-indulgence catering to physical pleasure

(2) indulging in materialism ... amassing wealth,etc.

(3) pride in our achievements, status etc.

Ofcourse we often fail to discern it in ourselves because we think they are all quite legitimate needs.Even being proud of our achievements is fine(or so we explain to ourselves) since we're not not exhibiting false modesty.

Worldliness would be harmful to our future , since it is really so empty. No matter how much pleasure we get or how much wealth we have or how much we seem to have achieved, there will be a void in us until our spiritual needs are met. And that can be satisfied only by Jesus Christ.

PS. Being told to be not of the world used to bother me since I'd argue why then are we put into the world. Like being put in a room full of a contagious disease and being told not to get the disease.However, thinking things out like this helps one to pause and really think things out. However, one wonders how ascetic one ought to be. How or where does one draw the lines? By saying everything is a sin, won't we drive non-believers away? And then there is the self- righteousness of those unworldly individuals,(ie.those who believe they've been so disciplined and able to curb their naural desires and hence are so superior) who think they're the sole inheritors of heaven.

1=the **** of flesh refers to such sensual bodily appetites as proceed from within our evil nature.

2=the **** of eyes applies to such evil desires as may arise from what we see.

3=the pride of life is an an unholy ambition for self-display and self-glory.these three elements of worldliness are illustraded in the sin of eve.

the tree was good for food;that is the **** of flesh.

the tree was planted to the eyes;that is the **** of the eyes.

it was a tree to be desired to make one wise;this describes the pride of life.

as the devil is opposed to christ,and the flesh is hostile to the spirit,so the world is antagonistic to the father.that is they do not procced from the father,but find their source in the world.

worldliness is the love for passing things.the human heart can never find satisfaction wit things.

This verse simply defines the sinfulness in us. A beautiful three point sermon in Dealing with Temptation. As long we feed The Great 'I' with desire and pride and the fatter our 'I' bloats it is harder for us to discern for it blocks our vision and darkness engulfs. We live more like the snail within its shell never to mistake it to be a shelter but a disaster in itself. It is self destructible. When that happens we have nothing to cover us and we are burnt in the heat of judgement. But when we pretty often realise this and seek the forgiveness of God and remove that pseudo protection then we enjoy the pleasant feeling of the Great Light which enlightens us.

John gives the sinful examples of: ****, greed, and pride. These are difficult to discern in ourselves because we are imperfect in our flesh. Worldliness is harmful to our future because it leads us away from God and his kingdom of salvation.

Sin is progressive when we are young it takes little to intrap us as we get older material steps in, **** for the flesh and ownership.

Sin wants to take over but the Mighty Saviour steps up and shows us te beauty of forgiveness and love.

The Holy spirit has to open our eyes to our great need, thankfully we have a wonderful redemmer who cares so much for us He gave Himself for us, Oh the joy of sins forgiven.

Matthew 5:28 discusses adultery in the heart. It applies here and all three sins mentioned are within each of us. The hardest thing to work on and keep in the forefront of our mind is the fact that we separate ourselves from God when we do these things. God's points in 1 John 2:15-17 examines all, the sins of the flesh, the mind and the heart. When we value things within the world more than our relationship with God we are not placing Him first. He further states that the world is passing away. It is not forever, it is a moment of our life, yet we at times draw closer to it and what it provides than the one who provides forever.

I deal with this daily and I know you do also. One thing that helps me remember what is important is Psalm 33:13-15. Read this every day and you will remember that all that you do is important and seen by God.

The lusts of the flesh, **** of the eyes and the pride of life.We often over look them because we spend to much time looking at the sins of others ignoring our own. We make excuses for ourselves other can do it so can I not acknowledgeing that it effects our relationship with God. As we try to be like the world it pulls us away from the love of the Father and cause our hearts to harden and the Holy Spirit to be grieved and unable to lead us in the way that we need to go seeking to show the love of God to others.

What kinds of sins are covered by the three examples of worldliness that John gives? Why are these sometimes so difficult for us to discern in ourselves? Why is worldliness so harmful to our future?

The **** of the flesh. When we look at someone of the opposite sex with ****, that is **** of the eyes. When we are proud of our accomplishments, then that is a pride of life. Worldliness is so harmful to our future because in Matthew 17:26 it says,"What is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?