JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? We have received the Messiahs anointing, literally, we have an anointing because we are anointed through Yahushua. We have a special endowment of our heart, mind, body and soul; a baptism, a rite if you will through Yahushua, of His spirit, linked with our inner man. What John was teaching was the anointing as a protection against false teachers. Believers are expected to continue in their growth and walk, by going to the house of teaching and grow further in the truth. Just like today, folks who are new in their walk certainly should find a church or a teacher of the Bible themselves and begin to make an effort to grow in truth.

This is one of my callings is to really push new believers to read their Bibles. There are still folks who stand in the pulpit every Sunday and have no idea what they are doing, yet their mouths go on and on and they collect a check. It is so obvious of their lack of fruit that they are not anointed with the Holy Spirit, but yet they keep plugging along. I completely do not understand how folks who are alive in the spirit can sit through even ten minutes of this kind of teacher. I can not.

Scripture clearly tells us that with out the Spirit , folks just dont understand what is in the scripture. If folks dont read their Bibles, asking for the Holy Spirit to lead them, really seeking the Kingdom and His righteousness, how will they ever know they are being taught falsely or not? Yahowah God will honor anyone who clearly and sincerely seeks Him. The Bible tells us that those who seek Him will be rewarded and also those who seek Him, will find Him, when they seek Him with all their heart.

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? John mentions in verse 20 that they have an unction which in greek is chrisma meaning: an unguent or smearing, i.e. (figuratively) the special endowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit:--anointing, unction. John said that this special smearing comes from the Holy One which in the greek is hagios which comes from the word hagnos, meaning properly, clean, i.e. (figuratively) innocent, modest, perfect:--chaste, clean, pure. I am assuming that this is referring to Yahushua, since He is who we are anointed through. He is the only Pure and Perfect Holy One.

The word hagios means sacred (physically, pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially, consecrated):--(most) holy (one, thing), saint. I believe that the Holy Spirit comforts them, to make them stand fast, as they are anointed by the Holy Spirit with the true knowledge of salvation, so as not to believe these false teachers, yet some had already been led astray. I think John teaches that they were not real reformed believers in the first place.

The word chrism indicates a smearing like an ointment by which the anointing is effected; and so it was probably interpreted differently to bring out the meaning provided in our former translations. This may be an allusion to the holy anointing oil of the law, based on the 45th Psalm verse 7: Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. The anointing is mentioned again in the first chapter of Hebrews verse nine which reads: Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Has every Christian received this anointing? I don't believe so. Being a 'Christian' doesn't mean you are filled with the Holy Spirit anymore than going to McDonalds, makes you a cheeseburger. I think though that in order to live in and walk in this anointing, we are expected to make the effort to grow closer towards Him and invite His Spirit to become activated in our inner man and then accept the baptism of the Ruwach (Holy Spirit).

What do you think? All that I wrote is what I think based on my understanding of the word in the King James Bible, using the Strongs to interpret the greek that is translated into the word that I hold.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

When we become Christians receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. When we are baptised in the Spirit He comes upon us.. When we begin to live in the Spirit we exhibit the fruit of His Spirit.....His love for others comes to live in us, His truth as well.,,, things that use to be ok now we are changed and are new creations and the Holy Spirit guides us..".you can tell them by their fruits."..

This is certainly an on going thing in my live.....Just recently I went on a Medical Missions Trip to Nepal and during this the Holy Spirit has spoken to me about compassion....for the lost, for the needy for the orphans and widows.....I am seeking his will and guidence as this grows in my life.... It seems everywhere I turn in devotions ,the Word......compassion is spoken to me in literal words or in the Spirit..It is a wow thing for me

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

I truly believe that when you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you are anointed with the Holy Spirit. This anointing confirms, in your heart, truths found in the bible and directions in your life that have been planned for you. It is quite easy to deceive yourself in the area of life choices; I am not trying to say that this is a loud voice. By giving yourself to the Word, self sacrifice and diligent prayer will you even begin to recognize it. It is like a conformation or conviction in your heart.

[/quote

ANOINTING IS THE EMPOWERING FROM GOD.

ACTS 10:38 SAYS THAT GOD ANOINTED JESUS WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND POWER AND HE WENT AROUND DOING GOOD.

JOHN 1526;16:7 SAYS JESUS IS THE MESSIAH THE ANOINTED ONE, WHO WAS ANOINTED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. HE IS ALSO THE ONE WHO POURS OUT THE HOLY SPIRIT ON HIS PEOPLE.

This was pictured by the O.T. ceremonial anointment of priests with ointments probably composed of oil and herbs. I think when John said "you have been anointed by the Holy One" he speaks of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit of Christ onto and into the believer. This anointing was first fully applied at Pentecost and is His first work when a person repents of sin and accepts Christ as Savior. This consecrates, dedicates, and seals us into a holy relationship with God. And I think it also refers to the pouring out of the Spirit's power to equip, instruct, and lead followers of Christ in discerning truth and in doing the good works of God's kingdom. As members of a "royal priesthood" (1Peter 2:9), every Christian has definitely received this anointing. Children

When we become christians the Holy Spirit comes tolive in us.. He communicates the truth in us so therefore IF we stay close to Him often times He reveals things, ie teaching that are of the antichrist.. I do believe all Christians ( true believers) have been given the Holy Spirit and it is our choice by the way we live if we are so anointed....(in touch with Him)...Often times the lack of faith in using the power of the Holy Spirit keeps us from really experiencing it.....

We dont we see in this country USA more power..healing and miracles? I believer it is our lace of faith and too much SELF SUFFICIENCY and lack of dependence in our Lord Jesus and His Spirit. God help us to walk fully in the anointing of the HS

The anointing is the pouring out of the Holy Spirit. God did not sprinkle the Holy Spirit on a few thus calling only some, for many were called according to Matt.. To live by that calling is another matter. To chose to answer the call and not deny the Holy Spirit, the only unforgivable sin, is the key to your question.

Who can understand the ways of the LORD? In Isaiah 43 he reminds us that he destroyed the armies of Egypt to set Israel free. Then he says to forget all that because he is going to do something new and wonderful. He asks, ""Don't you see it?", I have already begun." He began to lay the cornerstone which many would stumble over, and still do to this day.

Don't you see it? A way in the wilderness with a river of living water. Jesus says the Holy Spirit will come to convict the world of sin. The word convict does not mean condemn but to point out or to make aware of. In that aspect we all have been anointed with the Holy Spirit. The other aspect of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit is that we all are forgiven of our sins. This is what kept me in bondage to Satan for many years. I thought forgiveness of sin was only for a few so I kept drinking from the age of 17 to 34 not knowing that Christ died for all. The spirit of the antichrist kept me believing this far too long.

You see some will say that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit unless......... (you fill in the blank). But the truth is Jesus began a good work in us long before we knew Him. We are instructed to fan into flames that good work which He began. I believe what Paul says, that there are two spirits within us. An evil spirit and a spirit from God. The spirit we feed is the one that becomes victorious in our lives. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is not a matter of what God has given to me personally, because He has poured out His blessing on all. It is dependent upon whether or not I choose to serve Him.

Darrell

The anointing is the pouring out of the Holy Spirit. God did not sprinkle the Holy Spirit on a few thus calling only some, for many were called according to Matt.. To live by that calling is another matter. To chose to answer the call and not deny the Holy Spirit, the only unforgivable sin, is the key to your question.

Who can understand the ways of the LORD? In Isaiah 43 he reminds us that he destroyed the armies of Egypt to set Israel free. Then he says to forget all that because he is going to do something new and wonderful. He asks, ""Don't you see it?", I have already begun." He began to lay the cornerstone which many would stumble over, and still do to this day.

Don't you see it? A way in the wilderness with a river of living water. Jesus says the Holy Spirit will come to convict the world of sin. The word convict does not mean condemn but to point out or to make aware of. In that aspect we all have been anointed with the Holy Spirit. The other aspect of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit is that we all are forgiven of our sins. This is what kept me in bondage to Satan for many years. I thought forgiveness of sin was only for a few so I kept drinking from the age of 17 to 34 not knowing that Christ died for all. The spirit of the antichrist kept me believing this far too long.

You see some will say that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit unless......... (you fill in the blank). But the truth is Jesus began a good work in us long before we knew Him. We are instructed to fan into flames that good work which He began. I believe what Paul says, that there are two spirits within us. An evil spirit and a spirit from God. The spirit we feed is the one that becomes victorious in our lives. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is not a matter of what God has given to me personally, because He has poured out His blessing on all. It is dependent upon whether or not I choose to serve Him.

Darrell

Sometimes; and this happens to me often, the Holy Spirit will convey truth through others and or scriptures or passages. When I read this post, I did exactly the same thing I do when the Holy Spirit poses a revelational thought. "WOW!"

The anointing that John is talking about is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that Jesus promised each believer when He left. The Holy Spirit is from God He is sent as our comforter and leader. Jesus said he could not come till He went to the Father but when He left He would sent Him to the believers. I think that thescriapture states that anyone who can confees that Jesus is Lord has recieved the Holy Spirit so that would include all Christians but some have grieved the Holy Spirit so much that He nolonger has any affecton their lives.

When we become true believers we receive the Holy Spirit and with Him comes the anointing. The evidence is usually shown by how close of a relationship with have with Jesus. It is an empowerment we have but many do not exhibit it either b/c they dont believe it is for today and was only for Pentacost or they just lack the faith

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21)

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?

Has every Christian received this anointing?

What do you think?

John is talking about each Christian when saved receives the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit enables the believer to discern between truth and error. When John tells his young readers

When a person gets saved, the Holy Spirit comes in them and lives with them. This is why when the person sins they sense they have done wrong. The spirit the person is born with wars against the Holy Spirit until the person gets the sin or wrong doing right. Once the person is right with God the guilt goes away. Continuous sin without confessing of sins will make the battle with the Holy Spirit not bother the person as much but He will attempt remind the person to get right with God.

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

the anointing is an act of Love from above, it's the giving of the Holy Spirit

it is referred to as a way of empowering people

Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

every person receives the Holy Spirit according to their ability, we have to be open to receive.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit..." Blessed are the meek..." the Sermon on the Mount

for some Christians, their faith is on an intellectual level

True Christians are anointed ones. They are anointed with Grace, with Gifts, and Spiritual privileges by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is poured out upon every repentant beleiver, we have the Holy Spirit within us that is within our Saviour Jesus Christ.

We walk by faith, we live by faith, how much of the Holy Spirit we put into practice is determine by our walk in Christ

The anionting here refers to the Holy Spirit or to the Scripture. The anointing is the protection that believers have against the false teachers. The Holy Spirit is also our protection. He leads,teach and guide us in all truth. Every Christian receive this anointing.God did not leave us helpless, without a comforter.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

The Amplified adds: "You hold a sacred appointment from, you have been given an unction from" the Holy One.... I believe John is referring to our Salvation and the Seal of the Holy Spirit on believers....."the unction to function" in the Holy Spirit, is a fun way to look at that verse.

Olive oil which has been pressed from crushing olives, (symbolic of Jesus body being broken) was used to keep the lamp burning in the temple. Scented olive oil was poured over the heads of temple priests when they were sanctified and consecrated for service. The items in the temple were anointed with oil, setting them apart for Holy service. Oil was mixed with the grain offerings, symbolic of offering our lives as a living sacrifice to God...it was used as anointing for healing. It represents the Holy Spirit in many of His functions in and to and through the lives of God's children.

Joel 2:28 says that in the last days: "And afterward I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions., even upon the menservants and upon the maidservants in those days will I pour out My Spirit." That covers everyone...but not all choose to receive.

Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

Yes, the Word of God says we have....John was writing to believers and used the collective term "you"....the Church would be a different place if we "got it" that we are all anointed, gifted, are a part of the whole with a place to minister and serve in the Body of Christ. When we abdicate, the body is incomplete and lacking these individuals service. Too many churches still believe the Pastor and a select few are anointed to do all of the work of service and ministry and even evangelism.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?

I think John is talking about the anointing of God

The "anointing" is the presence of the Holy Spirit. It alerts people of false doctrine ref. antichrist.

One reeives the Holy Spirit and anointing when they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior

All Christians receive the Holy Spirit and anointing when they get saved. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit comes later as a Christian grows in their walk with the Lord. At this times, a Christian will receive power and knowledge and are prepared to teach, preach, discern, etc. This is called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

(1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

1. This is talking about the Holy Spirit.

2. It is seen symbolically throughout the Bible as "oil" or "anointing". (1 Sam 16:13 KJV) Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward

We, as Christians, have received the anointing of the Holy Spirit on us when we accepted Christ.

In the Bible, Jesus said he would leave His Holy Spirit to take His place & to give us His power.

Yes, every true Christian has received the Holy Spirit. Now, the filling of the Holy Spirit depends on what we are doing to grieve the Holy Spirit & block His work in our lives.

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? John is talking about the anointing of the Holy Spirit which brings understanding.

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? In the New Testament, anointing was used in connection to healing and the Holy Spirit