JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

To abide in Jesus, we must follow His example. Jesus taught us to 'love one another as I have loved you.' It is further taught that this is how we are recognized as Christians; our love we have for one another. We are to lift each other up in prayer and forgive one another. We are to push aside our feelings, that may hurt, and show love. If we are not, we cannot be recognized as His.

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

ABIDE MEANS TO REMAIN, CONTINUE, NOT DRIFTING

IF YOU REMAIN IN ME, AND MY WORD REMAIN IN YOU, YOU CAN ASK ANYTHING IT SHALL BE DONE

ABiding in Christ is spending time with Him.....Studying the Word.....Getting to know his likes and dislikes and how we are to live... although if we are abiding in Him the Holy Spirit will guide us who is living in us...Also through communicatiing with Him in prayer.....doing these we can walk more like Him and be an example so others will want what we have.....Holy Spirit Help us

Someone not abiding will not be spending time with Him... will be finding fault in the church.... will beging to comprimise their walk and how they live You will know them by their fruits...

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Staying steadfast, firm in the truth as the Holy Spirit reveals truth to us. Walking in the anointing.

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. I am not sure what a

I think to abide in Jesus means to rest your body and soul (mind, emotions, and will) in Him. It is to release control to Him, relying on Him for strength and sustenance like a limb on a tree. I have a dear friend who is a mature Christian. She's been widowed for many years and I've watched her abide in Christ. Her thoughts always include Him. Her decisions, such as a recent one to sell her house and buy a town home, are infiltrated with Him. She desired and waited for that move for 4-5 years as she sought Christ's wisdom and timing and peace. And when it finally happened, you would not believe how thoroughly He blessed it, even to the point where unexpected money was coming out of "nowhere" for this fee and that requirement. She took everything to Him, trained herself to wait with a peaceful spirit of gratitude, and praised His goodness throughout. To me, that pictures abiding.

Here is one way I understand abiding. In Greek, the word can mean "dwell". In life, we are out and about, here and there in daily living…but we always return to the place where we dwell, the place where we are grounded and sheltered. That is the place where we are who we truly are, the place that provides our overall direction and motivation. In our relationship with Christ, our humanness means that we so often roam and fail to live up to our calling. But as we abide, or dwell, in Him, we always return to our foundational place of security. He is our home base, no matter what else is going on in our life.

A Christian who is not abiding in Christ will wander from His Word, His wisdom, and His ways. Trust and focus will shift from Him to self and the world. There will be a loss of peace, direction, and mercy. And fruitfulness/cooperation will be replaced by frustration/criticism in trying to serve His kingdom. I've had times when I've lapsed into this kind of state, and it's not a place I like to be. Thankfully, He will always be at work to bring His child back "home"!

. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

1. If we want to keep abiding in the Lord, then we need to consistently study His word and be in fellowship and prayer.

2. But when we aren

It means to live with eyes on Him, following Him, not turning to the left or right.

That Christian who is abiding will show forth the fruit of the Spirit in his/her life.

Those not abiding, are often tossed to & fro, carried about with every wind of doctrine, continually falling, compromising, & not fruitful.

Abide/remain/continue in Jesus means, we read and study the Bible and stay in prayer daily.

A christian who studies and prays and becomes closer to God would be shown as ons who "loves" everyone.

A christian that is not abiding in the Word and communing with the Father will "fall away" from God.

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28)

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.

What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

We are to persevere in the Word and remain loyal to our Lord and Saviour. Our great safety is to stay close to the word of God. We should test everything by

When I abide in Jesus, I feel so close to Him and I walk strong, I feel complete, but there are times when I get distracted and its my fault I drift and feel alone.

But thats only until I lift up my head and see Him who died for me.

One who is in Christ walks in love and talks with love

In Galatians Paul gives 9 characteristics a fruitful Christian. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These characteristics are not words of feeling but words of action. A fruitful person will have a brotherly love like the Good Samaritan who reached into his pocketbook and paid for the care of a stranger. The joy of the Lord will always comfort him. The "Joy of the Lord" is the obedience to His laws. The peace we have comes from the knowledge we have that by doing what is good and right will lead to a great reward in heaven. We are patient in our suffering knowing that the world will take advantage of and even hate (a hatred that comes out of envy) us at times.

Even my seven year old grand-son is a judge goodness. When he returned home Saturday from golfing with me and his dad B.J. asked him how he played. He told her he played good. She asked how I played and he said good. Then she asked how his dad played. He said, "Not so good. He hit a car."

Jesus explains in John chapter 15 that He is the vine and we are the branches. He says that a branch that produces no fruit will be cut off. Then He goes on to say that if we lack anything to make us more fruitful ask and it will be given. Peter instructs us to add to our faith in ever increasing measure the fruits of the Holy Spirit to make certain our election, that we will be productive and effective in our knowledge of Christ.

What might those who are abiding in Christ be doing. Sometimes they will be doing the things that seem boring to others. When there is no reason, except that they love their family, they just might be doing the laundry, cleaning the house, or scraping together a meal from nothing. They might be going off to the same old mundane job and working harder than most just because that is what God instructs them to do. But in all of this they will be giving thanks to the Lord and expecting His return.

Darrell

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

To remain true to that which you know about Him to be the truth. Not to wander from the truth of His teachings. To rest in HIM, knowing He is working all things together for the good of them who love the Lord.

He might stand true on an issue while others are accepting the teaching of those which is contrary to the Word of God. One who is abiding is at rest and peace knowing God is in control in all situations.

They tend to drift from the truth of the faith. Some may try and incorporate other forms of doctrine and teaching into Christianity. They are not totally resting or trusting in HIM during life

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

To abide is to live in Him constantly without disconnecting or taking "vacations" from Him. In June the Lord showed me this in a "parable" on my patio, when I saw a dragonfly which I thought must be dead, it's whole body weight hanging from a flower by his "tongue" (do they have tongues???). It didn't flinch or move when I walked by nor later when I touched it to see if it was dead. It seemed so odd, that I couldn't stop looking and thinking about it. I asked the Lord, are you speaking to me in this this? I heard in my spirit "Feed on me, rest in me, abide in me". Later that day He confirmed those words in Scripture. Several hours later the dragonfly flew away, when I'd gotten the understanding from the illustration of how total dependence on and abiding in Him looks.

Trusting, relying, seeking Jesus throughout the day. I'm a visual learner. Another example the Lord showed me was when I looked at a rumpled pair of rubber gloves I use when I clean. They are useless unless my hand is filling them and using them for my purpose. When I'm abiding in Jesus, which is my desire, I'm filled by Him, trusting Him to move and work through me, and make my life alive and useful in His service.

Mother Theresa said words to that effect "God is the author. I'm just a pencil in His Hand." That's how I want to live!! Boldly radical and sold out completely for Christ! For in Him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28

A life lived for self, in the flesh, but with a veneer of religion to dress it up and make it look good.

To endure what might come ones way while staying in Christ and pushing forward in

To endure what might come ones way while staying in Christ and still push forward in Jesus. The Apostles are great examples of ones who abided in Christ. They are those who stand up for the truth, spread the truth of Christ and take the consequences that come with that. They live Gods Word. Christians who do not abide in Christ will not mature in Him. They could fall short of the truth thus becoming followers of false teachings. :rolleyes:

Abiding means to remain. Unite means to be unite to God. The spirit of truth will not lie. Those anointed by the Lord Jesus abide with Him. The promise of eternal life is made sure. Not abiding in Christ is to be your ownself and not being in Christ.

Abiding in Christ means that you are in constant communication with Christ, there is very little else on your mind except thinking about the man that gave His life for me. A Christian that abides in Christ, will act, talk, and everything else that comes up in our daily walk, like Christ. In other words we will be Christ like. A person who is not abiding in Christ will be the type that are struggling in life still trying to make their mind up. It happens on a regular basis when you don't have a prayer life, and close communication with God.

His Bondservant

Mike

To abide in Jesus means a mutual indwelling of Jesus and the Christian. The believer abides in Christ by keeping His commandments. Christ abides in the obedient believer as One who is

When a Christian abides in Jesus, he is experiencing the teaching and conviction of the Holy Spirit, and yearns to learn more about Christ and Gods will for his life. This can be seen in and through their lives by the fruits of the Spirit, being displayed in their lives, and the light of the Lord that shines from within.

Those who reject the working of the Spirit in their lives open themselves up to attack from Satan, and their spiritual growth becomes stunted. It is in times like these that the church can be brought into disrepute.

To abide/continue/remain in Jesus is spending time in our relationshipw with him ie.....spending timein the Word, in prayer and fellowshiping with other believer in friendships and church( of course we are the church) THe way we can know those not abiding is by their fruits......pulling away and more involved in the world (is easy to fall back into) the enemy is waiting for us in every turn.....we much keep on God's armor at all times.....

To Abide in Jesus means to continue in fellowship with Him and remain connected to Him , we are reminded of this where we are given the illustration of the vine and its branches.

Jesus being the vine and we being the branches.

A person who is abiding in Jesus is remaining in fellowship with him and other believers, is praying and reading the Bible and maintaining a healthy walk with the Lord.

A person who is not abiding in Jesus and His ways can easily fall back into the clutches of the world and become weak and vulnerable to attack from the enemy, and desensitized to the ways of the Spirit.

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? It means to remain in full contact with Jesus and all His teachings and to continue to have Jesus day in day out as the central focus of my life.

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. On the one hand, regular prayer, reading the bible and attending church (in other words regular communion with God) and on the other living out the teachings of Jesus in my life in a practical way and aspiring to be like Him.

What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus? I guess the opposite of the above, but what you would see would be someone who has no peace because a Christian not abiding in Jesus is like a fish out of water. When you take a fish out of water it thrashes about for a while. Eventually, sadly, it dies and so it would be with a Christian abiding outside of Jesus.