JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Love for the Brothers

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to lay down our lives for our brothers is to really love them, putting their needs above our own.

Love in action is meeting everyday needs of those around us who are hurting, needy and going through some hard times.

Getting into a care group or home study group within the church is a great way to meet others, help meet their needs and perhaps they meet yours.

This kind of love puts the needs of others ahead of your own. It means we're willing to sacrifice our wants, desires, time, or resources for the good of another. Fortunately, I see great examples of this in my church on a regular basis. Someone anonymously covers the balance for a college student who needs the final $200 to go on a mission trip. A couple's class collects a special offering for the struggling finances of a seminary student's young family. An older man buys yard sale small appliances to repair and resell to support medical missions. Dozens of people accept the responsibility of taking a learner under the wing for months of one-on-one discipleship study. For 6 months, a woman and her husband take in a teen who has no place to stay. Personal activities, interests, and finances are sacrificed for others.

As a member of a large congregation, I know for sure that the only way to become closely involved with people is through small groups. You must plug in and commit yourself to Bible study and fellowship with others in order to develop this kind of intimate friendship that leads to such caring.

LAYING DOWN YOUR LIFE FOR YOUR BROTHERS IS BASICALLY A SACRIFICIAL LOVE . IT'S HELPING THE HURTING, THE NEEDY, THE POOR, THE WIDOWS, THE ORPHANS AND MEETING THEIR NEEDS IN A PRACTICAL WAY , AS BEST AS YOU CAN.I'M BLESSED TO BE A PART OF A SMALL CONGREGATION WHERE THEY GIVE OUT FREE LOAVES OF BREAD ON SUNDAYS TO SHARE WITH NEIGHBORS, FAMILY, FRIENDS, ETC.SO I BLESS MY NEIGHBORS WITH BREAD ON SUNDAYS. I GIVE OF MY TIME, MONEY AND RESOURCES TO HELP OTHERS. I LOVE MAILING CARDS WITH LOTS OF CHRISTIAN LITERATURE, ETC TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO CHEER THEM UP, AND IT WORKS.THEY LOVE RECEIVING ENCOURAGING WORDS.I DO BELIEVE WE NEED MORE LOVE IN ACTION BEING DEMONSTRATED IN OUR CHURCHES.

The meaning of 'lay down your life for your brother' is that we should love sacrificially through practical demonstration of love. For instance, when we see a brother/ sister in need, we should assist if we have the means to.

In a large congregation, there is need for formaation of smaller fellowship groups where people can have contact with one another and thereby know oneanother better and thus know who have needs.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18)

What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them - and they for you?

This means that our lives should be a continual giving-out to other believers in need. We should demonstrate our brotherly love by sharing our material things with those in need. John distinctly says that a man is not a Christian who sees his brother in need and yet withholds from him what is necessary to satisfy that need. This does not justify indiscriminate giving to everyone, because it is possible to harm a man by giving him money with which to buy what would not be good for him. However, the verse does raise very disturbing questions concerning the accumulation of wealth by Christians. We should not love in word or in tongue, but rather in deed and in truth, but it should be manifested in actual deeds of kindness and should be genuine instead of false. In a large congregation it might not be necessary for me to know the members who need help personally. We create various care ministries that are there to see to the various needs of our brothers and sisters. I can then partake in these various ministries catering for the needs

If we claim to love Jesus then when we see a brother or sister in need we will do what is needed or at least our best in the situation..we must have compassion and seek it as Jesus lived it God help me to do what you have calle dme to do in compassion and love for my brotehrs and sisters let me see through my busieness to the needs of others

One way to lay down our lives for our brothers is to really love them, putting their needs above our own.

Love in action is meeting everyday needs of those around us who are hurting, needy and going through some hard times.

Getting into a care group or home study group within the church is a great way to meet others, help meet their needs and perhaps they meet yours.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan is a good example of puting love in action. For me my family needs my priority, If there is a natural disasters my first reaction is to give them my old garments, pack them neatly and get them to the rescue center. If somebody is victimized, call 911 from your cell, or take picture if you cell has that capabilities.

I volunteer in a Nursing home, and I greeted them all, they need a friend, They feel isolated. Give them your concern and love.

It means to love them, and ultimately it means to reduce my self-will to zero and put their needs before my own.

What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community?

helping in practical way. helping others in financial trouble. offering help with shopping or household chores during an illness.

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

In order to really bond and feel connected, I can see that I have to spend time working together and sharing leisure activities with a small group of people.

What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

Laying down your life is symbolic of what Christ did for us. When I look at my contribution I stop the me first approach and think of others first. I think all the examples given so far (in this thread) of what this is have covered this special kind of love well.

One point that I will stress involves small groups. One of the best things people in churches can do is commit to meeting together outside of the sanctuary. Small Group Ministry offers this and so much more, if you haven't experienced this look into it, you will not be disappointed.

A large benefit is that it handles the needs of both large and small congregations. Many go to church on Sunday and then go home. They never get to know many in their own church. At times they never get to really know the folks who sit next to them on Sunday. In large churches many individuals disappear within the congregation. They never get to know anybody, at times it is like they are not there, invisible.

Small Group Ministries allow folks to come together on a regular basis and not only interact, but grow. They learn about one another, offer support and become a family. It is a beautiful thing and God is at the center of it all. A prime example of this in action takes place in Acts 2:42-47. Read it and see how they grew and were rewarded by God. God bless.

Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? What are some concrete examples of this kind of love in action within the Christian community? If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

This type of love is something we were totally unaware of as unbelievers, I did not really care for others or their needs, my desires and needs came first. Outside my circle of needs everything came a very distant second.

Graciously Jesus changed that, when He saved my soul and redeemed me , He let me see other needs and how fragile live is, how easy it is to unbalance it by misery and need, but much worse how misery multiplies in a life when no one pays attention or offers help.

Thank you Lord for enabling me to recognize need, pain and misery in those who suffer, thank you Lord for your love which you have placed within me that lets me care and lets me express your love to all.

A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,

A wonderful Savior to me;

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,

Where rivers of pleasure I see.

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock

That shadows a dry, thirsty land;

He hideth my life in the depths of His love,

And covers me there with His hand,

And covers me there with His hand.

A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,

He taketh my burden away;

He holdeth me up and I shall not be moved,

He giveth me strength as my day.

With numberless blessings each moment He crowns,

And, filled with His fulness divine,

I sing in my rapture, oh, glory to God,

For such a Redeemer as mine!

When clothed in His brightness, transported I rise

To meet Him in clouds of the sky,

His perfect salvation, His wonderful love,

I'll shout with the millions on high.

Laying down one

To lay down your life for others is to set self aside and become concerned regarding the interest and needs of others. It involves getting involved in meeting and supplying the needs of others. Those who get involved to various ministries to those in need physically, spiritually, and emotionally provide various examples of this kind of love in action. Those who are willing to set aside their own ambitions, plans and wishes to help others succeed or grow in their lives spiritually and physically. In a large congregation small group ministries like ladies or men

I think it means that we give up our own pleasures to help those who are in need. We help them and give of our time,money and possessions. We helped a family that needed their home remodeled due to the mother being cofined to a wheel chair and unable to help herself. The father had recently been laid off from his job so our mens group put together the time and remodeled the home for them. We get to know other by lending a helping hand to those in need and allow them know more about us.

This means to love your brother as Jesus loved us. We must reach out to our brother with love even when we must sacrifice.

Sharing what we have with those in need such as food panty, free medical clinics, visiting those who are sick and in prison

If you are in a large congregation, how can you get to know other members so you'll be able to lay down your life for them -- and they for you?

Small groups, inviting folks to meals, taking time to talk and listen with them

[font="Verdana"]Q3. (1 John 3:16-18) What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"?

Putting aside my needs or wants to help those who truly need or truly want, basically to be a sacrifice to those who are in need.

I kinda like what John say’s here. Let us stop just saying we love each other and let us really show our love by our actions. I visit a church now and then in the smaller city near where I live and I can always depend on a warm hug from a certain few. I never liked hugs because I never had them growing up as a child. It was my husbands family who taught me how to hug and now I hug everyone. When I was working in a nursing home there was this little ole lady who had dementia. When I would go to hug her, she held on for the longest time and I learned from her that it is ok to stay in the warm embrace of one who has so much love to give. There really is an art to hugging. I learned this at a conference. You hug , closely with no reserve or room between you even at the feet. When you pull away, you finish off that hug with a look right into the eyes of the one you have hugged and that seals the connection of love.

Stand at the back of the congregation and greet folks with a hand shake or a hug. Smile at them while you look at them straight in the eye. Introduce yourself as their sister or brother in Christ, so that they begin the family connection right then and there. We have forgotten that we are still sisters and brothers and we need to bring that lingo back into our vocabulary. We are daily loosing each other through fear of what we may or may not say correctly and this is how we can take back just a little bit of who we are in Yahushua. [/font]

Real love is an action, not a feeling. It produces selfless, sacrificial giving. The greatest act of love is giving oneself for others. We give up our life by serving others with no thought of receiving anything in return. Sometimes it is easier to say we'll die for others than to truly live for them, this involves putting others desires first. Examples would be helping those in need, and being generous with our money, possessions and time.

Serving others is always a good way to get to know them. Also cell groups or home bible studies is an intimate way to form lasting relationships.

What does it mean to "lay down your life for your brothers"? To serve others with no thought of receiving anything in return. To put other

Somehow I feel that it means much more than just meeting the needs of others. Do we REALLY feel that we would actually, physically DIE for our friends? I know when I had a gun at my head that I was willing to die instead of my kids, that love was truly there. But, do we really have such a love in our hearts for others that we are willing, like Christ was, to actually, physically, die in their place so that they can come to know Him? The Christians in John's time were in those situations of torture for their faith. Many people around the world are in those situations today. Am I, as an American, ready to willingly die for my friends? In their place? Sure, I can meet some of their needs. I can open my home. I can sacrifice "stuff". But, I really feel that this passage is for a deeper love than we can fully imagine. As much as we can, we should meet the needs of others, putting others first, take care of widows and orphans, but if the deep love, the kind of love that Christ shows us, the willingness to die for these people we are helping, is not there, we are missing the mark.

When we are able to put on hold things we may feel are important to our lives, and dedicate that time to help others in their time of need, or are willing to give freely to those brethren who are without, this is how we can lay down our lives for them. Sharing freely the love as our Lord commanded we do.

In large congregations is is important to form small groups in which to fellowship and build one another up in Christ on a more personal level. It is also in these small groups that the needs and fears of others become more apparent and personal.

Laying down my life for my Brothers. Make yourself assessable to members of the congregation, by Smiling and being friendly to all. Getting to know someone that you are not sure of, and Learn to understand them more. It is not long before someone approaches for help, Once the barriers are down, they feel that they can trust you, and then can talk to you,about their problems and needs. Maybe someone just needs a lift home in the car. or something more serious.

Join the Choir, That helps to get Known by the larger congregation. Join the Bible Studies, The Prayer groups, fellowship meetings, I also belong to a ladies Christian Group "The Causeway". Get to know the Younger members, as they are the congregation of the future. Some members forget this, when they do not want attend the family services. Just show your love for all

Love is a lifestyle. Daily we should seek ways to put others before ourselves, from little things like giving up a parking spot or waking up early to make breakfast for our household, or neighbors to bigger things like giving our time, talents and materials in order to make a difference. I have a special place in my heart for people in poverty. Mother Teresa's words on poverty rocked my sense of who I am called to minister to. She defines poverty as:

"The hungry and the lonely, not only for food but for the Word of God; the thirsty and the ignorant, not only for water but also for knowledge, peace, truth, justice and love; the naked and the unloved, not only for clothes but also for human dignity; the unwanted, the unborn child; the racially discriminated against; the homeless and abandoned, not only for shelter made of bricks, but for a heart that understands, that covers, that loves; the sick, the dying

Love is a lifestyle. Daily we should seek ways to put others before ourselves, from little things like giving up a parking spot or waking up early to make breakfast for our household, or neighbors to bigger things like giving our time, talents and materials in order to make a difference. I have a special place in my heart for people in poverty. Mother Teresa's words on poverty rocked my sense of who I am called to minister to. She defines poverty as:

"The hungry and the lonely, not only for food but for the Word of God; the thirsty and the ignorant, not only for water but also for knowledge, peace, truth, justice and love; the naked and the unloved, not only for clothes but also for human dignity; the unwanted, the unborn child; the racially discriminated against; the homeless and abandoned, not only for shelter made of bricks, but for a heart that understands, that covers, that loves; the sick, the dying