JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Love Casts Out Fear

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For children of God, fear of God refers to an awed respect that produces honor for Him, trust in Him, reliance on Him, and obedience to Him.

Verse 17 says that by abiding in God's love, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment. The day of judgment is not for God's children and He is calling us to trust His love.

Verse 18 says There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. According to the 1st statement, mature love displaces all fear of that day of judgment. According to the 2nd statement, believers do not have to fear punishment for sin. That penalty was satisfied through His love vividly demonstrated when He sent Christ into the world to take it on our behalf. This Scripture clearly says that if we remain fearful of God's final judgment of sin we aren't yet mature in love, with the logical implication that we aren't really exercising complete confidence in His great love and complete salvation.

As believers, we should be profoundly grateful, joyfully confident, and completely humbled by the truth that we will never have to face God's wrathful judgment for our sin.

A new song by Matt Redman beautifully speaks of the truths of love from these verses in 1 John 4:7-21. Here is the main text of "This Is How We Know" as a great summary of the Lesson 6 focus on God's love and how it should affect our lives.

This is how we know, This is how we know what love is

Just one look at Your cross And this is where we see

This is where we see how love works, For You surrendered Your all

And this is how we know That You have loved us first

This is where we chose To love You in return

For You so loved the world That You gave Your only Son

Love amazing, so divine, We will love You in return

For this life that You give, For this death that You have died

Love amazing, so divine, We will love You in reply, Lord

Our love will be loud, Our love will be strong

Our love shall be hands and feet That serve You in this world

So let us stay true And let it endure

That You will be glorified And worshiped and adored

Savior of the world, King Jesus we love You

For we have been loved, King Jesus we love You

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God? What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

Fear of God is respect and know this reverental fear is what God wants. The fear of judgement is extengished when we have love in our heart. Christ is love perfected. I look forward to Jesus coming and my lifetime with God

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God? What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

We should respect, honor, and just be in awe of God. He is all of it, and we are His! Gloray!

We have nothing to be afraid of, because we are His, and we are not subject to the White Throne Judgement. We will go to the Bema Seat! Gloray! We're goin' to the good place!

Those who do not want God's free gift are the ones who should be afraid. We know what waits for them, which should drive us to tell them the truth, and gently persuade them to accept the free gift of God's love. Time is running out.

To begin with we need to fear the judgment of God, because it will happen. But as we mature, we begin to respect God & His power & His Word, honor Him and seek to obey Him. Our fear of judgment is overcome with the power of His love for us & the grace He exhibits toward us.

Judgment will come one day, & so will He! Oh, I can hardly wait to be with Him. It will be soon!!

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God?

The fear we should have towards God is one of great respect for who He is and for whom He commands us to be, a holy people, a Royal Priesthood, especially now that He gave His only Son, and His Spirit lives in us.

What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us?

The kind of fear is - being exceedingly afraid of the Day of Judgment; this fear is not in the believer who confesses Jesus is the Son of God and as his lifes confession is seen in love.

What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

The believer who cast out fear is one who is looking for that glorious day, is the one whos love is being perfected, the old leaven is being purged, we no longer walk in the sins that held us in its grip, we now walk in the spirit of love, for we understand its meaning - this is how we love God, giving great respect to the Almighty God, who gave to us His greatest love His Son!

We should reverantaly fear God because God is love. Perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment.

We should have expectancy, looking to the time of Jesus' return when we live for eternity with Him.

Q4 As children of God, we should not fear. For fear does not come from God but from

Satan. God is love and we have been told in 1 John 4:10 that it is not because

we loved God but rather God loved us first and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice

for our sins. Perfect love drives out fear.

If anyone says, I love God yet hates his brother or sister is a liar. If we strayed

away from our loving God and lived life like the world then we have every reason to

fear God. Eventually all of us will have to face God on judgment day.

When we love as God does, we live in God and God lives in us. This way love is made

complete among us so that we have confidence on the day of judgment,when Christ

comes again. As we follow in Jesus' pattern and as a maturing believer, we should

grasp the amazing love and forgiveness of God and look forward to this blessed hope

and love His appearing.

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18)

What kind of fear should we have towards God?

The fear we should have towards God is one of reverence. We have come to know God

Perfect love does not know fear.

We don't need to fear His judgement.

I just fear He isn't real.

That I try to live like He says and that all will be for nothing.

Because of Him, I don't hurt bad people.

For example, I was waiting very long in the row at the supermarket.

When it finally was my turn, some stupid women came and just took my place.

She had a face like it was perfectly normal to behave like that.

And I don't shout at cardrivers who almost ride me off my bike.

Just because He sais so.

But I really hope He will punish bad people and without this hope I would behave just as antisocial as them.

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God?

For the Christian, our "fear" is reverent awe and respect for His power and might.

We rejoice and look for His coming with joy and delightful anticipation!

The fear of punishment, abandonment, or as some unbelievers say: "That He will squash us like a bug".... For the unbeliever, their fear of punishment is justified and real, because apart from Jesus being their Lord and Savior, they do face punishment/ judgment for rejecting His substitutionary death and atonement for them.

It is real. This motivates me to share Christ with as many as possible who will face that judgment unless they are drawn to Jesus as Savior. Judgment is coming.

BUT.... for the believer in Christ, He already faced judgment in our place on the cross, and took our sins and punishment upon His body to the grave, and we are now alive in Him in His resurrection. He now lives in us.....Thanks be to God, we will appear at the Bema seat to receive our rewards and to join our Lord at the marriage supper of the Lamb.

Q4.(1 John 4:11-18)

We should fear God to show Him our complete reverence to Him.

He is our creator, He is the owner of the Universe, the Almighty, the one who rules over us. He has the last word over our lives now and after death. Our lack of fear to Him is foolishness, but our fearing Him is wisdom.

What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?When we truly fear God then we start understanding Him, we get the knowledge about Him. One of these aspects of knowledge is about his attributes, some of which are :God is Love, God is merciful, God is omniscient, omnipresent, etc. Omnipresent Merciful Love! So we stop getting afraid of God. We fear Him, we are not afraid! So, we get closer to Him. As for the future, the judgment is that we shouldn

WE SHOULD HAVE A DEEP RESPECT AND REVERENCE FOR GOD JUST BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS, THE ALMIGHTY GOD AND CREATOR OF THIS UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT.HIS LOVE PERFECTED IN US DRIVES OUT ALL UNGODLY, UNHOLY FEAR AND ALL BONDAGES THAT MAY EXIST IN OUR LIVES.WE DONT HAVE TO FEAR FUTURE JUDGEMENT BECAUSE JESUS WAS ALREADY JUDGED IN OUR PLACE, THEREFORE AS BELIEVERS WE CAN LOOK FORWARD TO HIS GLORIOUS RETURN WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF BEING PUNISHED BY HIM. :D

If God loved us very much, we ought to love one another.There is no fear in love, Complete love turns fear out of the doors and expels all traces of terror.He who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love.We love him, because he first loved us. if anyone says he loves God, and hates his Brother Is a liar, For he who dose not love a Brother whom he has seen, cannot love god, Whom he has not seen. at this command we have from him: That he who loves God Shall love his brother also.

The kind of fear we should have at the presence of God is that of reverence, respect and should be overwhelmed by His awesomeness. The type of fear that has been extinguished by His love for us is the type that cause us to be alarmed, anxious and frightened of impending punishment that may be given to us.

Knowing that God loves us and we love Him, we should have the attitute of hope toward future judgement and fear.

Fear of God is the begining of wisdom. We only know in part but when He returns will will understand complete love.

"our sins were judged at the cross of calvary,and we can confidently sing"

death and judgement are behind me,grace and glory lie before;all the billows rolled o;er jesus,there they spent thier utmost power.

just as judgement is passed for him,so we are beyond the reach of condemnation.because we have come to know gods love we have no fear of persahing.there is no fear in love:but perfect love casts out fear.it is his perfect love that cast out fear.i am assured of the lords love fist of all,because he sent his only begotten son to die for me.secondly,i know he loves me he dwells in me.

:rolleyes:

We should have no fear of God for His love removes all fear, and if we are of God then He is within us. The fear of His judgement is replaced with His love. We should have a boldness in us for love has been perfected in us. :rolleyes:

We should have the fear of awe because we have no true understanding how large our Father God.creator of everything truly is. We don't have a real understanding of how large His love for us is. We should also have a true fear of what God can do the unbeliever, Jesus said fear not man who can only kill the body but instead fear Him who can kill the body and then throw the soul in hell yes fear Him. Jesus was talking to those who refused to believe he was who He said He was. We should have the same fear or reverance.

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God? God is the creator of everything, me, the planet I live on, everything on that planet and everything in the universe around that planet. He has always been there, and always will be there. We should be awe inspired, we should be reverent, we should fear Him,as Isaiah feared Him in Isaiah 6, but we have no need to be afraid of Him because of His love in us.

What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? His love perfected in us casts out the fear of judgment. So we are in awe of God but do not fear His wrath.

What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment? We should be confident and look forward to Christ's return because we have no fear of coming judgment. Personally, I look forward to Christ's return, but then I look at those around me who I know and love who would be lost and subject to God's judgment if Christ were to return today. Sometimes that fills me full of a feeling of helplessness. With the guidance and strength of the Holy Spirit in me though I am not helpless and I pray that through me these people will come to see the reality of their situation and the simple way in which it can be fixed.

As we mature as Christians our fear of God becomes that of awe and respect for our Father and our Creator, we no longer look at fear in the light as which the world does. As we grow in Gods love, and understand that His love in sending His Son our Lord Jesus Christ to pay for the sin of all mankind, we see that He is a God of ultimate love Who must be respected for His Omniscient power and not feared because such love commands love and not fear. Christ came ,He shed His blood and rose again to conquer death and fear thereof for all who accept His free gift. In His death our fear became freedom and is now only reverential fear, an amazing feeling of respect and security in the assurance of Gods promise.

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18)

We should have a reverend fear of God by glorifying and worshiping Him.

Fear of the future without hope is extinguished by His love perfected in us.

We should have an attitude of hope as we look forward to spending eternity with our loving God.