JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Keep Yourself from Idols

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An idol is anything that takes precedence over the LORD in your heart. That will generally include anything of the world or the natural character of humanity. Verse 19 says that the world lies in the power of the evil one. So when we desire or indulge or chase after things that belong to this world we are yielding ourselves to the control of the one whose main objective is to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). We take our eyes off of the true God and give our devotion to self and false objects of worship. Idolatry leads to loss and death. The LORD says only He is worthy of our adoration and obedience, and through that comes abundant life.

There are all kinds of idols in this life. Power, position, and wealth have always competed with God for our attention. I think we also allow fear and worry to step into His place. We desire comfort and ease. Television and internet consume our interest. We indulge greed as we chase after stuff. Some people adore their children to the extreme. Even our time can become an object of worship.

Q4. (1 John 5:21) Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"? What idols distract us from the true God? What idols compete with God for attention in your life?

Idols can and do distract us from learning more about God and His perpose for us. An idol is anything or anyone that will keep us away from God. Anything that we spend more time on than we do studying or praying or fellowshiping is concidered an idol.

Some idols that come to mind:

Television

Any sport

Significant other

Food

I say food, because sometimes I can be studying, and all of a sudden I get the urge to get a snack, and then I get distracted. After that, I loose track and don't go back to my study.

Idols, things that take our time & affection, are ever with us. In any age we have "idols" that can rob us of our time with & for Jesus.

Idols can be anything--daily work, hobbies, good works....just anything.

Some of my "idols" are food, busy work, time constraints, handwork, working on the computer--e-mail--facebook--all desiring to grab my time with the Lord.

• Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"?John has told us that there is only one true God, and he came to earth in the person of Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, fully man and and fully God, co-equal/co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
    "You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3
  • What idols distract us from the true God? What idols compete with God for attention in your life?Power, status, money, our children, our career, affirmation, pride... are everyday idols in the lives of Christians and non-Christians alike. My idols... well to differing degrees they are represented by that list.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

Q4. (1 John 5:21) Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"?

God longs to be first in our hearts and lives, because He knows that anything or anyone who takes His place will lead us away from Him and His best for us.

What idols distract us from the true God?

Anything or anyone which is a substitute for our love and affection for our Lord. It may even be "service" for the Lord, which glorify ourselves, and are not what He has designed for us to do. It can be T.V., our kids, hobbies, home, car, possessions, the internet, friends, sports, ....whatever we invest our time and affections in, which takes precedence over Him and time spent with Him.

What idols compete with God for attention in your life?

It used to be my children, as I "over mothered" them in an attempt to prevent them from ever feeling abandoned or neglected as I did growing up in an abusive, violent home.....Thank God He showed me what I was doing, while there was still time to "undo" it while they were still at home!

Q4. (1 John 5:21) Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"? What idols distract us from the true God? What idols compete with God for attention in your life?

Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"? John does not want anything or anyone to come between us and God.

What idols distract us from the true God? False ideas in contrast with God

Idols are a distraction from the one true God. My idols are TV, time-busy, anger.

Q4.(1 John 5:21)

Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"?

That is because there is only one Lord, God, who deserves praise, as per

Deut 6:4-5, 13-15:

The Son leads believers to the Father, and they are in the love and favour of both; in union with both, by the indwelling and working of the Holy Spirit. Happy are those to whom it is given to know that the Son of God is come, and to have a heart to trust in and rely on him that is true! May this be our privilege; we shall thus be kept from all idols and false doctrines, and from the idolatrous love of worldly objects, and be kept by the power of God, through faith, unto eternal salvation. To this living and true God.

Q4. (1 John 5:21)

Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"?

What idols distract us from the true God?

What idols compete with God for attention in your life?

John is warning us to abstain from any form of worship that draws us away from Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ must be central in our lives; knowing Jesus Christ is God. Any other thought is idolatry. So we are to be aware of all false teachings. An idol is a substitute or false god taking the place of the true. Here an idol is not so much a material thing as a false teaching. Praise the Lord; I must say that I do try my utmost to stay focussed on the Word. Perhaps I spend too much time on the computer; otherwise I

John advised the children of God to keep themselves away from idols because idols compete with God for attention. God is the only true God that should be worshiped.

Anything that distracts our attention from God is an idol. Money, our jobs, etc can become an idol if any one of them becomes the center of attention or is worshiped.

John exhorts to keep away from idols because idols shift our focus from God to other areas. Some idols are wordly material things that "fill us up" as opposed to God being our source of contentment. Other idols can be more on an emotional level. I have the tendancy to want people to fill me up. I have issues of neglect and abandonment, so it can become easy for me to turn to people for love and solutions to problems. That's OK in balanced relationships, God gave us to each other for love and support, but I sometimes slip into forgetting to go to God first for the fill up and guidance. And THEN enjoying the people in my life together in Christ. Thank God I have friends who understand this, who stick by me, yet encourage me in wholesome relationships and I have a very good God who reminds me He's first and brings me to places I can be gently led to acknowledge that. He is faithful to remind me, knowing my circumstances, correcting me and restoring me to Himself.

You can only have one God, and He is a jealous God. He tells us over and over again that we can not worship Him and something else. Anything that we put ahead of God, value as more important and it all comes from the world, are idols. There was a time when there were many things that I gave more time to then God,not that I did not know Him but I certainly did not walk with Him like I do now .Bless God for He never gave up on me and He slowly changed me and now because of Him He is my life. I am in a position now to give to Him equal or more time then I would something else. This is good. Thank you Jesus. :rolleyes:

I think that most Christians at some stage in their lives fall into the trap of idolatry, and almost always without intent. We need to be on constant alert and guard against anything that may take our eyes of the Lord. For some it's sport others it may be friends or even their own family, and then there are all those material things, money, the love thereof; cars; fancy houses and clothes, and right down to personal vanity. These are all things that take our attention away from God and in doing so can become idols, in other words they are taking the place of Him.How much time do we actually devote to God?? It should be 100% and this is not to say you need to become a missionary, no just live your life out in accordance with His will and you will find that you can give Him glory in all that you do. Amen!!

Q4 During John's time there were lots of conflicts in the church. The Antichrist with

their false teachings would influence and sway the people away. Cities across the

Mediterranean were filled with idol worship. Children of God who were weak fell

victims to all these that is why John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves

from idols."

We being in the world are easily influenced by it. False gods lack love and

lawlessness. If our focus and attention are on these gods then we are distracted

from our true God.

Idolatry, the riches and glamour of the world, competition on statues, the modern

technology of this time eg. TV, computers, emails, internet etc have taken over the

minds and hearts of many people. As Christians we need to be aware of all these

material wealth for they are temporary compared to the promises of Christ.

Q4. (1 John 5:21) Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"? What idols distract us from the true God? What idols compete with God for attention in your life? An idol in this sense is anything which takes over, even for a short time, the central position of God in my life. That's not to say that we shouldn't do other things and have interests and hobbies, but God has to be central to everything that I do, and everything I do has to be to His glory. I suppose that my idols are similar to those of others namely work, money, possessions etc. Those things used to be everything to me and what I lived for. Now when I feel them starting to take over, I pray and I give everything I have and everything I am into God's hands. I look back at what He has done for me since I turned back to Him and that refocusses my attention to where it should be.

WE NEED TO KEEP OURSELVES FROM IDOLS BECAUSE THEY DISTRACT US FROM OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TRUE AND LIVING GOD, JESUS CHRIST.ANYTHING WE PUT BEFORE GOD CAN BECOME AN IDOL IN OUR HEARTS, WHETHER IT'S MONEY, POSSESSIONS, FAMILY, JOB, ETC.IN MY OWN LIFE, I TEND TO SOMETIMES PUT PEOPLE FIRST RATHER THAN RUN TO THE LORD FOR HELP.I THINK I STRUGGLE WITH AN EMOTIONAL DEPENDENCY ON OTHERS BECAUSE OF LACK OF LOVE AND AN ABUSIVE PAST, SO I HAVE TO ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT TO HELP ME TO GET MY PRIORITIES RIGHT. HE ALWAYS HELPS ME TO SEE MY ERRORS AND LEADS ME INTO ALL TRUTHS, PRAISE GOD!! :)

Q4. (1 John 5:21) Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep your selves from idols"?

It is the summary of V 20 We know that Jesus Christ the Son of God has come and has shown us the true God. And because of Jesus, we now belong to the true God who gives eternal life.Christ has reconciled us to His father, the true God, God the Father is a jealous God, we are not to worship any idols!

Paul was warning the Gentile believers who came out of idolatry, they must not go back to their Heathen idolatry, the same warning is for believer's today, we came out of idolatry, we must stay in

• Q4. (1 John 5:21)
  • Why does John exhort his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols"? JESUS CHRIST THE SON IS THE TRUE GOD AND ANYTHING THAT REPLACES HIM IN OUR LIVES IS AN IDOL.

• What idols distract us from the true God? WE STRIVE TO NOT LET MATERIAL THINGS, UNWISE USE OF TIME AND ANYTHING OF THE WORLD REPLACE GOD IN OUR LIVES.

Idols will keep us from the true God. He wants the best for us (which is fellowshipping with him) and idols destroy. There is a verse in Jonah I like and I'm not sure which translation this is from. "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace which could be theirs." Jonah 2:8.

Anything that takes our eyes off God is an idol. It might anything including focusing too much on yourself.

Right now it's me and my health. I have myself all worked up over some medical issues when God is the great physician. And someday He is going to want to take us home to live with him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

John exhorts his "children" to "keep yourselves from idols" because he wants them to allow Christ to be the center of their lives.

Idols that distract us from the true God in the modern world are money,material possesions,fame,power,our careers,

pursuit of pleasure,etc. Just about anyone or anything can have an idol status in our life if it takes God's place.

From April through October I have to be careful not to let baseball take priority over placing God first in my life.

Often I struggle between turning on a ball game or spending time in reading my bible or/prayer. I have had to discipline myself to put spending time with the Lord first,even if it meant missing listening to or watching part of a game.

the true god is that we are o have only one god and no one else.for the lord have put fear into men so that we can believe in his son jesus christ.jesus died for us and god sent his only begotten son to earth to died for u.we are god children and we love everyone,we do not have any enemies,for god told us in scripture love thy enemies with all our hearts.

we know the son has come .

Because one cannot worship true God and idols. God is jealous He cannot allow anybody to worship Him and other idols.

Many things can take God