JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Running Ahead

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question makes me think of a poster most of us have probably seen. There is a set of footprints along the ocean's shoreline and a poem entitled "Footprints in the Sand". The author of the poem relates a dream of walking through life with God. Knowing God's promise to never forsake one who is following after Him, the writer asks why there was only one set of prints during the most trying times of life. God's answer is not that He abandoned, but that He was carrying His wearied child through those times. I never thought about it until now, but this could actually be a good picture of what our walk with Christ should be like all the time. If/when we are walking "by the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16) as we are abiding in Christ, we should be so united with Him that there is only one set of footprints - the life of Christ being walked out here through us. Less of me and more of Him, because only what remains through His "footprints" will matter in eternity!

When I stay in step with Christ I will be maintaining His pace, matching the direction of His steps, keeping my focus on Him. If I step out ahead of Him, I will be running ahead of Light and Truth into darkened thinking and deceptive lies. The human mind cannot rightly interpret spiritual truths. The Spirit illuminates and gives discernment, so to run ahead of where He is taking you in that moment will mean you are trying to interpret apart from His divine knowledge and wisdom. I think this may be the origin of "half-truths" (which are actually all lies) where doctrines begin with truthful statements that end up being twisted into perversions. What we may think to be a "deeper truth" is actually an abyss of lies. What we may think to be an inspired direction is actually a hopeless lethal dead-end. What we may think to be pleasing to the LORD is actually a nauseating foul stench in His nostrils.

To "abide" or "continue" in Christ and His teachings means that He is where I exist. HE becomes where I live my life, where my thoughts are born, where my decisions are made, where my hopes and aspirations are sourced, where my profound trust rests. His Word becomes my guidepost and lie-detector. His Way becomes my lifestyle of love, excellence, and pure integrity. In the context of this lesson, it is supremely important to abide in Christ because He is the only accurate Way to avoid the false teachings that lead us away from His commandments and bring death.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

The Holy Spirit is our teacher, who will LEAD us into all truth, as we are able to grasp it, absorb it, understand it, then live it. To run ahead to "deeper truth's" is to no longer be following our Lord, but willfully running to and fro seeking knowledge to puff up our prideful ego, and "tickle our ears" looking for "new truth". other "than the doctrine of Christ."

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

Jesus is our Shepherd, and the shepherd always goes in front of or ahead of the flock, in order to seek the best places for grazing, the most clean, still water, to avoid dangerous cliffs or poisonous weeds among the grass, etc. He is not bound by time as we are, and is already in the future. He knows where to lead us and where we are to stop and rest, and how to avoid danger too great for us. We can "run off a cliff" emotionally by running ahead, we can make foolish decisions, investments, purchases, relationships, which can lead us down harmful paths He never intended for us, with painful consequences, and delays in fulfilling our destiny.

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

To abide also means to live, to stay, to dwell....this says to me to let Him lead, and to stay close behind so I don't make wrong turns. He has a method for teaching and training us according to our development and maturity levels, and since He created us, He knows when to teach us what He wants us to understand and know, next. Proverbs says He is a lamp for our feet and a light unto our path....

In June He spoke to me in several parables in nature about His timing, and to rest and abide in Him....I was like a car with the engine racing, due to anxiety and stress over many things, and wasn't turning to Him for the wisdom and strength to deal with all of it....I was just pushing through each day in my own strength. I loved the parables, but neglected to act upon what He was telling me...I outran His light and stumbled along the dark path He wasn't illuminating, and I ended up completely depleted and exhausted, then sick. That was a valuable lesson for me to slow down and literally REST when He isn't moving forward. I nearly mowed Him down in my rush to "fix" everything.

RUNNING AHEAD OF CHRIST'S TEACHINGS TO DEEPER TRUTHS CAN LEAD TO DECEPTION BECAUSE YOU'RE PRETTY MUCH TRYING TO LEAD INSTEAD OF FOLLOW.WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST BECAUSE HE IS OMNISCIENT, HE KNOWS THE PATHS AHEAD AND WE CAN SAFELY TRUST HIM TO LEAD US INTO ALL TRUTHS.WHEN I RUN AHEAD OF HIS GUIDANCE I'M SAYING THAT I KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR ME AND I'M IN CHARGE OF MY LIFE.I'M NOT TRUSTING HIM BUT MYSELF; SELF IS ON THE THRONE OF MY LIFE. THAT'S DANGEROUS BECAUSE I DON'T SEE THE FUTURE BUT HE DOES.TO ABIDE OR CONTINUE IN CHRIST IS TO DWELL IN HIM, IN HIS WORD, IN HIS PRESENCE.IN HIM WE LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE OUR BEING.THE CHRIST LIFE IS ONE OF ABIDING IN HIS PRESENCE. :)

Running ahead can cause us to get off onto a tangent--or distorted view of the Word. If we pass that on to others, we could be a false teacher. Deeper truths come when we're ready & He'll reveal them to us then.

We'll find ourselves in a pickle. We'll be in a place that is not the Lord's will and be in danger of not totally depending on Him & not being a good witness.

There is so much to know & to be accountable for with just the basics!! Stay close to Jesus & his Word; take in what He reveals to you & act on it. We'll find there is plenty to work on--just where He leads us!!

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

If we don't stay in Jesus' teaching, we lose God.

If He has to lead us, He has to walk in front!

If there were deeper truths, that would mean that you can't trust the Bible for what it is.

All would be speculation and nobody would know the truth.

The whole point of the Bible is that it is the truth.

If we don't believe that, we call God and all his apostels a liar.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

Running ahead of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths" sounds to me like progressives who are actually running to deeper lies.

God's Word is the truth and we need to remain in His Word or WE WILL FALL INTO ERROR.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We need to continue in prayer for each other!!

Q1.(2 John 9)

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

Is there any deeper truth out of Christ

1. Running ahead of Christ's teachings opens us up to false doctrine.

2. This is when we lean not unto His understanding, but our own, and that is a big mistake!

3. This means that we should seek out God's advice for our lives, in every area!

4. Whenever we try to answer our own questions, and solve our own problems, we get into trouble, and we fail. That is the honest truth. In and of ourselves, we can do nothing. Bottom line!

The danger is that we are making our own doctrine and leaving the truth and the very word of God. Jesus said that we must continue in His teaching and that He would send a comforter to lead us in all truth so unless we hold to that we wander into false teachings and away from where God wants us to be. We must believe all Jesus taught we can't pick and chose the parts we like to be Jesus we must live as He lived and believe what He taught us we must make Him Lord and Saviour for there is no other way.

Q1. (2 John 9)

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings?

Why is this so important?

We have to be careful not to transgress beyond the allowed bounds

The danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths" is the possibility of distorting the Gospel. The danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives is that you end up veering away from the truth. To "abide" or "continue" in Christ's teaching is to live daily according to His teaching, be guided by His teaching and using His teaching as the standard for living. This is important because there are false teachers who would have you believe that there is another way, than the way of Christ and you end up walking in error.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

Danger, danger is ahead of the person who goes contrary to the teachings of Christ, running ahead is going contrary to the direction God has for the believer, we must put on our armor, there are many deceivers out to steal our faith, to detour us off the narrow road, and to direct us unto the wide road that leads to destruction, for there are no other deeper truths.

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

If we stray from the truth, we will be deceived by the Deceiver, Satan; We must stay strong in our “faith” - Jesus is the Son of God Almighty, and we must walk in that truth, for in that truth, we have in our lives, both the Father who sits upon the throne, and His Son, who sits at His right hand. Abiding in Him is where I want to stay.

AS when building a house, one requires plans and structural guidance,in order to assure a good and stable building, so is it with our lives. As Christians we need to learn to follow in Christs footsteps, we need to grow in his likeness. God gave us His word to structure our lives by, and His Spirit to guide and nurture us.

We sometimes get ahead of ourselves and try preempt what our Lord has install for us,this will often lead us in the wrong direction. We are His sheep let us follow and not try to lead.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? Running ahead of or going beyond Christ's teachings is effectively perverting the teachings of Christ and amounts to false teaching. As such it is against Christ, or antichrist. Following such teaching takes us away from Christ.

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? Christ will becoame more and more distant from us as we walk away from His teachings and we will become more and more a part of the World.

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important? John tells us that if we abide in Christ's teachings, in other words continue to follow Christ's original teachings, then we will continue to abide in Jesus and His Father, and with this "He has promised us eternal life" (see 1 John, 2:24 & 25). To abide or to continue in Christ involves our continuing to make Christ the centre of our lives on a day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute basis and involves prayer and study of His teachings in the Bible.

When we 'run ahead' of Christ, we end up where God doesn't want us to go. We are in danger from (figerative) wild animals who want to devour us, and false teachers who want to fill our minds with wrong thinking.

When we run ahead of Christ's guidance, we are really running away from Him and making our own choises. We must be very careful or we will find we will end up back in the world again.

To abide in Christ and His teaching is where I want to be always. To abide within Him is safety, love and knowing we are in the right place.

:wub:

Running ahead of Christ teaching as it was in the case John was discussing in 2nd John is the deviation from the true teaching of the Lord Jesus. The false teachers were teaching that the Devine Christ could not have died and thus did not die on the cross. This was misleading the true Christians away from the the truth that Jesus the Son of God came in the flesh and had to die to save sinners.

Jesus was and is the Christ. This is the central message and belief of true Christians. To continue to believe this is abiding or continuing in the Lord's teaching.

Q1 When running ahead of Chris's teachings, we need to be careful and put our focus on

Christ's teachings otherwise we will be deceived by the false teachers and lose all

that we have accomplished and received our reward.

When we follow in the fast phase of this modern time, we may miss our focus on

Christ's guidance, thereby making us unaware of God's presence within us.

If we abide in Christ and His teachings, God and His Son is with us. It is

important especially with so many deceivers and false teachings in the world. We

need God's power to be with us to guide and protect us.

The danger of running ahead "of" the truth is exactly what Jesus says. " Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 (NIV) People and ministries running ahead of the Truth do so only in an attempt to glorify themselves. Well what about John? Wasn't he before Christ baptizing with water? And John says this, "This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me." John running ahead of the Truth only to proclaim the truth, not to glorify himself.

To abide in Christ is to do so through actions as Christ did. This is the true witness of Christ a brotherly love kind of action. Jesus said this concerning his teachings: Matt. 23:2 "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3 So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 8 "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ.

Many run ahead of the truth to gain reputation and money in this life but have forsaken the eternal life, that is not only the risk but the consequence. Jesus asks, "What good is it to have all the things of the world and lose life in the process? If we don't keep our eye on the goal it is easy to lose oneself.

Darrell

To run ahead of Christ in teachings and guidance is taking upon ourself that we think we know what we are talking about and that we know our way. We then have opened ourselves up for a quick fall and could easily be guided else where in our thoughts actions and works. It is important to continue in Christ so that we do not become full of ourselves and relient to our self and not to Christ. We must wait upon the Lord and show patience, rely on Him and not ourselves and He will guide and teach us. :)

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

This leads to adding and/or distorting the truth of Christ teachings.

As Christians, we should see the Bible as all truth. I know it is part of our culture to 'get things fast' and we have to make a conscious effort to wait on things. In all things, we should 'search the scriptures' to see if it is truth, and 'wait on the Lord' to reveal truths that we do not understand. Anything short of this process will lead you astray.

The danger of running ahead of Christs teachings to "deeper" truths, is that we are no longer following what Christ taught! We are no longer following at all! What did Christ teach? Salvation through believing in Him and the Father who sent Him, and to love God above everything else and to love each other. When we get into all the other "stuff" that others want to add to that, we can lose sight of the truth and even become in danger of becoming a part of living out the truth. We "abide" by staying connected every day in prayer and relationship with Jesus and being reminded of what Jesus taught. He said HE was the way and truth and life. We remember it, trust the Holy Spirit to remind in it, and then we live it the best we can. To be followers of the way, we must follow Christ and what He taught! The only "deeper" thing we should have, is a deeper relationship with Him and not allow the other stuff to interfere with that.