JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4, Isaac's Prophetic Blessing

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The third part of this question answers all three parts: God's role,is to be the all knowing,all powerful,perfect creator of everything;the author and finisher of all things.Isaac was given the blessing of participating in the expression of God's will.Esau cried,but Isaac did not cry like Hesakiah,who's tears did move our God to delay the prophesy that he would die,for an additional 15 years...could he have petitioned the Lord to allow Esau to have the blessing that was prophesised for "the younger" before the twins birth ?...or did Isaac shake at the thought that he had intended to give a blessing that the Lord had already given, and only realized it at that moment,as in "trembling before the Lord" ?

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?

The only way I can answer the first quetion is to say that, as a parent, Issac had blessed his son-not the right son-but a son, indeed.

And, finally, the bottom line is, God will have His way, no matter what. Only He knows how a thing will turn out. And He is able to make it happen. God can and does use our sinful nature to bring about His will. He can do that, because He is God-His ways are higher than our ways, and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

The blessing was really a blessing from God and if it is a blessing from God, no one can change it. A blessing from God is a promise of fulfillment and it can not be undone. Isaac was deceived and, although he realizes that later, he cannot undo what God has done. He does however have a blessing for Esau which, it seems, is also from God. In this blessing, he provides for Esau to escape the domination of Jacob.

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it?

The blessing is sacred and could not be reversed. Isaac role in this is as a prophet of God. God's role is as always the creator of heaven and earth the one who's give life and his will will always be done.

I believe that since the blessings were actually from God and not Isaac that the blessings were given correctly. You can't deceive God you can only deceive people and yourself. Isaac is just the messenger for God's words. If Isaac is spiritual and believes in God knowing all things and knowing that the words were God's and not his own, he would not change anything for he would believe that the correct blessing went to the correct son.

In ancient times, a person

The blessing Isaac was to give was from God, he could not take back something God told him to give, regardless of how anguished he felt at being deceived. (I'm sure he was trembling in anguish because Isaac particularly loved Esau and wanted to give him the blessing...remember he told Esau "then I will pronounce the blessing that belongs to you, my firstborn son.)I'm sure Isaac was mad at his wife too for the deception, yet Isaac knew full well that, and until recently even here in our country, his spoken word was binding.

God used many people

This blessing is irrevocable and once given can't be changed, no matter what. Given that fact, and coupled with the fact of Isaac's blindness and old age and infirmity, it seems to me that he would have been more careful to be sure he was blessing the right brother. Surely he had to know how treacherous Jacob was. And he had to know that his wife favored the younger son, and he may have been aware of the words the Lord spoke to Rebekah, either having heard Him directly or Rebekah having told him over the years. Apparently he thought something was up because he questioned Jacob's identity. Maybe he should have had both boys in the room instead of trying to bless Esau "secretly".

God is Sovereign. His role is primary. Everything works out for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. This same God who saw Calvary before Creation surely knew that Jacob would become Israel and Esau would be father of the Edomites. He knew them before they were in Rebekah's womb. I don't believe He ordained that Jacob would receive the birthright and the blessing through trickery, but He did use that circumstance to further His plan.

We are saying "The word is making a man". It was not possible to Issac to reverse his blessing - he was surely a good old man and his word has sense and power. Next, if he would reverse his blessing, it would bring much more fights between the brothers. Each of one would have the same blessing and they would fight for the rightness just of the own blessing. It was not possible to reverse it. Isaac, maybe, was influenced by God, he was a "tool" of the God to fulfil the God

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery? What is Isaac's role in this blessing? What is God's role in it? The blessing that Jacob decieved from Issac was a spiritual blessing of Godly things. It was passed

on from generation to generation starting with Abraham to Isaac. Now this spirital set of blessings were really God's blessings to the individual

recieving them. Isaac was just the of the blessing. This was God's blessing on the line of Abraham thru Isaac which would continue to the Messiahb

when he was born. Jacob had a second blessing of earthly content only. God's part was to make the promise true that he promised to Abraham and

his seed. This blessing was more for the next life and the spiritual in life than in the Earthly.

Isaac was voicing God's word of blessing into the future of his descendants. It was a practical and a spiritual pronouncement of inheritance. In the ancient world, the spoken word was considered so powerful that it could not be "unsaid" or undone. This could only be spoken over one person, who was typically the firstborn son.

Abraham had conferred this blessing on his son Isaac. Now Isaac was the patriarch who was passing it on to the next generation. God is the One who gave the blessing of promises and inheritance for Abraham's lineage to begin with. He would fulfill all He had spoken through the succeeding generations until Messiah came to complete the promises.

Isaac's word was binding and Easu trading his inheritance was binding. Isaac was an honorable man and to reverse the blessing would dishonor his family and the future families of Esau and Jacob. Esau's reckless choice effected the entire family and their future and not just Esau. Isaac was also Esau's father. Sometimes, as a parent, the choices we make are tough and usually "hurt us" more than our children but Isaac knew that Esau was impulsive, impatient and loved instant gratification. Isaac knew that Esau needed to reap the consequences of his decision even though it hurt Isaac's heart. Isaac was also a God fearing man and he knew that God was handling the entire situation. Isaac did not worry and he trusted in God.

Isaac did his part and he trusted that God would manage whatever came of it to His glory and not to the impulsive or self-centered decisions that were made. All things are done for the glory of God. Not some things. Not just good things. The Bible is very clear that ALL things are done for the glory of God.

I think it was God,s blessing of the future so he couldn't reverse it. Besides it was like a contract once given there was no way to take it back.

Isaacs role was to deliver the blessing. Gods role was implementing his plan for the future.

Q4. (Genesis 27:33) Why couldn't Isaac reverse his blessing once he discovers Jacob's trickery?

The blessing belongs to the one who has the birthright, Esau no longer owned that right, he sold the birthright to Jacob, Jacob now owns the birthright and with the birthright comes the blessing. Isaac gave to Jacob, the person who desired to have it, the person who held in high esteem the privilege of being the priest of the family, also, Jacob was the person God wanted it to go to, the blessing was of the Lord and now irrevocable. Esau despised the priesthood rights of the family, what he was crying about was the blessing, showing his carnality.

What is Isaac's role in this blessing?

Isaac held the birthright and it is he who passes it to the rightful person. I have to wonder in my heart if he didnt really come to understand, it did belong to Jacob, Isaac was not sure it was Esau when Jacob answered the question, how come it was done so quickly, Jacobs response, Because the LORD, thy God arranged it for me - Esau had distain for the spiritual side of the birthright, he never used the personal name of God. Isaacs role is to pass it to the correct person, seen as he passed it to the person God has chosen, Isaac did acknowledge that Jacob had received the blessing as sworn, by adding, Indeed, he will remain the one blessed

What is God's role in it?

The most important role for the person who holds the birthright is his obligation to do Temple service prior to the advent of the Priesthood The requirement of the LORD was given much earlier in the scriptures that the birthright blessings were to be given to the one who was married within the covenant line, Jacob did do this, but as we see later, Esau disregards this requirement and marries two Hitite women. By this action and his selling his birthright he made it known his disdain for the covenant of God, God knew who held it in distain and who didnt, that is why he reminded Rebekah of who the rightful owner of the priesthood of the family would be.

(Mal.1:1-2) I am Malachi. And this is the message that the LORD gave me for Israel. Israel, I, the LORD, have loved you. And yet you ask in what way have I loved you. Don't forget that Esau was the brother of your ancestor Jacob, but I chose Jacob. WE MUST REMEMBER TWO NATIONS WERE IN REBEKAHS WOMB.

I believe that Issac had heard his father Abraham speak the blessing that God had promised him and he knew that God would do what He said He would do so he just repeated that blessing to Jacob meaning it to be for Esau.I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me." Who can change the promise of God no one and Issac knew this so he could not take it back once it was promised to Jacob even if he was the wrong son. Issac's role in this blessing was as a deceiver to his father but a believer in that God would do as He spoke to his father. God's role is the orginator of the promise and the provider of all that he says. All good thing come down from the Father of Heavenly Lights. His word speaks to us just as He spoke to Abraham.

Isaac couldn't reverse the blessing because for the Jewish people the blessing for inheritance was like a proclamation of a law. It was irreversable. Isaac may not have known, but Esau sold his birthright. God knew. He knew he would before it happened! He knew his plan would be completed through Jacob. That doesn't excuse the deceit in it though by Rebekah and Jacob. They both payed for the consequences of their sin also. Jacob was hated by his brother. Rebekah was separated from her son. She really lost both of her sons for a time.

Isaac's role in this was to give the blessing according to God's will. He was the vessel used by God for His purposes.

God's role is to do the deciding. I still see this today. God sending someone to do his will and others deciding that someone else should have been sent! But....God is faithful and powerful enough to overcome all opposition and he's always done things in ways we can't understand for the moment, but if we wait and trust we will see His good and perfect will in it. Our part is to be the vessel He can work HIS will through!

The birthright belongs to God, not to man. Once the birthright is given, it cannot be revoked as it is a right of God to determine who receives it. Isaac was simply following tradition of passing the birthright to the first born, but God had other plans for that birthright and gave it to Jacob instead. God controlled the circumstances to allow the birthright to be transferred to Jacob and not to Esau.

In Genesis 25:23, The LORD said to Rebekah, "Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger." God told Rebekah that "the older will serve the younger." Ultimately, God was going to bless Jacob. Since God would have blessed Jacob, Isaac could not have reversed it. Isaac was only the messenger and God always has the ultimate control. Even though Isaac was upset and was "violent trembling", he knew that he had to obey God.

Because the blessing was already spoken, it had to be honored. Speaking the blessing made it a reality, like a handshake . Isaac love his son and wanted him to receive all that was the custom at that time,not to mention he was his favorite. God already knows us and our responds to situations, but he wants us to know too. God uses all things to bring his will to pass.

I was having trouble understanding the difference between "Blessing" and "Birthright." After reading what "Delievered" wrote it all makes sense.I would like to thank everyone for their answers I am learning much.God Bless! :rolleyes::rolleyes: