JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jacob's Worship and Vow

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In setting up the stone, Jacob was signifying his own personal faith in the God of his fathers and commitment of his life to the LORD. It would remain as a memorial to the sacred experience he had in that place. It was a remembrance of his encounter with the presence of Yahweh. Jacob anointed the stone with oil in an act of cleansing his heart before God and dedication of his life in serving Him. He did these things to worship the God he had now come to accept for himself. It was no longer a ritual of worship, it was an experience of meeting with the God who ordained and deserved that worship.

The word "if" can have 3 different meanings:

1) demonstrative, "whereas, since, because"

2) interrogative, "How can this be?"

3) conditional, "although, when, except".

To me, Jacob was essentially saying here, "Whereas the LORD God has made these personal promises to me, then I receive Him as my God." It's the same for us today that the LORD extends grace and we must choose to respond. Jacob declared the stone to be the house of God, Beth-El. And then he vowed to give a full tenth to God of all that God gave him.

Jacob is ready to follow in the faith of his father and grandfather.The stone,uprighted,and annointed, is consecrated, as witness between him,and his God.The 10% appears to be a standard that pre-existed Abraham,who gave 10% to Melchizedek,as "priest of the God Most High".Having no such human official present,at the time,Jacob,now enabled,to understand,what many before him have sought,without realization,submits himself to the service of God,and marks the physical place of his transformation,that he may return to the place,in order to return to his God.The time when we "will worship in Spirit and in Truth" will come.

The physical place of Christ's Ascension (Luke 24:50)is Bethany (house of unripe figs)on the Southeast slopes of the Mount of Olives,and the physical place of Jacob's vision,is Bethel(house of God)12 miles North of Jerulsalem.They are not physically the same place,but..."in Spirit and in Truth",what we don't yet know,may yet,be revealed.

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone? What did anointing the stone mean to him? Why does he do these things? What does he promise God in his vow?

For Jacob setting up the stone was an act of dedication of himself in worship to God. It was a way of him remembering God's presence in that place. Jacob anointed the stone as an act of cleansing and consecration, setting it and himself apart for God. Jacob does this as an act of commitment to the Lord. He promises that if God would be with him, if God would watch over and protect him, if God would supply food and clothing, if God brought him safely back to his father's house, then, God would be his God, the pillar that he consecrated would be God's house and he would give God a tenth of all that God gave to him.

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone? What did anointing the stone mean to him? Why does he do these things? What does he promise God in his vow?

The setting up the stone was a way of reverence to God, and also a reminder of the spot the vow was made in. Anointing the stone was consecrating what he felt was the house of God, he also makes the vow between himself and God so it seems fitting that he would anoint and consecrate that spot. Jacob promises God that if God will watch over him and give him food,clothes and safety that the stone will be God's house and God will be his God forever. Jacob also states that he will tithe a tenth of everything God has given him.

Jacob set up the stone to make this spot a Holy Spot to commerate God's speaking to him and Revealing himself to Jacob.

He also anointed and set up the stone as a pillar as a sign for himself and future generations that God was in this place

and it was sacred and important to remember the happenings that came to be here. In his vow He promises that if God is

with him, gives him food and water, protects him and his, and brings him safely back to his fathers house in the place

he lived with His father for years . That God would be His God.

Jacob wanted to remember the place where he was when God and he made the vow and promise to each other. What intimacy! What love! The Holy Spirit was there!

Jacob promised God that, if God would protect him, and provide clothing and food for him, and bring him back to his father's house, that he would keep God as his God.

It was an act of dedication. Anointing the stone set himself up to be consecrated & cleansed by God. He does it because he was totally moved, sobered by the experience and understood the importance of his role. He said if God would be with him, provide for him & bring him safely back home, he would accept God as his God, make the pillar God's house and give him a tenth of all that he has.

By setting up the stone, Jacob establishes very personal relationship with the God. By anointing the stone, he signs the agreement - one of many agreements between the God and mankind - confirming his just established personal meeting with God. In his vow, Jacob promises that Yahweh becomes his God, the stone - pillar - will become the God

Jacob set up the stone because he wanted to remember the exact place where he had met with God. It was a sacred place and very special.

He anointed the stone with oil, consecrating it to God.

The foot of the staircase was in this spot and the top of the staircase opened into heaven - he wouldn't want to loose this place.

I think that in his promise to God, Jacob is not using the word 'if' as we might use it. I think he is saying, "BECAUSE God has promised to do all these things, He will be my one and only God and this place shall be His home. I will also give a tenth of all my wealth to God".

Love Greta

:wub:

Jacob set up stones as a monument of God's great kindness and gracious manifestation of himself to him, which might bring this mercy to his remembrance in his return.

He anointed the stone as a token of his consecration thereof to this use to be a memorial of God's favour to him. Oil was used in sacrifices, and in the consecration of persons and places.

Jacob in his vow does not bind God under this condition, but acknowledges his infirmity, and promises to be thankful.

Q3 Setting up the stone to Jacob, meant that he honored and remembered God's

revelation of himself in this place. A way of placing himself, his life before

the Lord whom he claimed to be his own God now. In short, this very place is a

remembrance and an act of dedication of himself in worship, a way of remembering

God's presence.

Anointing the stone with precious oil meant an act of cleansing and consecration.

Jacob had experienced a new conversion and a personal relationship with God. In

response, he wanted to surrender his total self to God and to make this place

sacred and a remembrance of his first encounter with God.

In respond to God's generosity, Jacob promised that the Lord will be his God, the

stone he set up as a pillar will be God's house and what God had given to him in

return he will give back a tenth.

Jacob sets up the stone as an act of dedication of himself in worship, a way of remembering God's presence in this place.

What did anointing the stone mean to him?

He anoints it as an act of cleansing and consecration, setting it -- and himself -- apart for God.

Why does he do these things?

He does them as a way of showing his total surrender to Gods will for his life.

What does he promise God in his vow?

That Yahweh will be my God...

That this pillar will be God's house...

That he will give God a tenth of all God gives to him

The erection of the stone was Jacob acknowledging his own faith in God. It was anointed to show Jacob's cleansing and his dedication to God, it was his promise to love and worship God and to follow God's word. His promise was if God took care of him that he would Follow GOD.

Genesis 28:18-21

18 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. 19 He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz. 20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God

What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone? He set the stone to commemorate the place that God spoke to him.

What did anointing the stone mean to him? As Pastor Ralph stated in his commentary, "He anoints it as an act of cleansing and consecration, setting it -- and himself -- apart for God." Effectively he is honoring God because of what God disclosed to Jacob.

Why does he do these things? Because God appeared to Jacob and he needed to honor God.

What does he promise God in his vow? In verses 20 and 21, Jacob stated "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God."

It is his marker of the place that He feels that God is in and he wants to be able to remember what has happened. He also wants to make the place a place of worship because he feels that God is there. He pours oil on the stone to make it special, holy to God and he means for it to be an alter for God and he plans to honor God with it. He will return to his home land and he will give God a tenth of all that God gives him.

It was a way for Jacob to honor and remember what had happened at this place. Putting oil on the stone symbolized a cleansing and a consecration to God from Jacob, setting himself apart for God. Yahweh will be his God. Because he knew his father Issac and Abraham had done it, also he promised If God did what he said Jacob would give him a tenth of everything God gave him.

Reading all the answers,I get the impression that we're able to infer many of our own feelings and intentions into our generally assumed "mind of Jacob".We,as him,want to preserve the essence of the holy experience.To "hang onto our God";establish and preserve a portal for renewed contact.Jacob,at this early stage in his relationship with our Creator,may have wanted to go a step further,and actually have a formative input to the terms of that relationship,and only learned further truth about it, through the process of "struggling with God",as the name our Lord gave him, implies.Only God knows the complete Truth of worship and it's antithesis: idolatry ! Approaching this vital,but dangerous matter, should always be accompanied by prayer that the Holy Spirit may guide our use of things,and even our own minds,in worship that conforms, to that which glorifys Him alone.(Stay away from idols).

What does the stone mean to Jacob? The stone, set up by Jacob, is a symbol that represents his faith and remembrance to God. It also seems to me that the stone represents to him a reminder, a kind of title, promise or deed, that God is giving the land to Jacob and to his family forever. The anointing of oil, for Jacob, is a physical and symbolic way of cleansing and consecrating something for God. It's a physical confirmation that states he now lives for the LORD...and it's his way of remembering that God's presence is in that place. (I also believe Jacob does these things because he knows actions should confirm words...his action is stating his belief in God.) Jacob promises God that if God watches over him and feeds and clothes him, so he can return safely, that the LORD will be his God and the pillar will be God's house, and he will give a tenth back to God.

By setting uo the stone, Jacob was raising a memorial that recognised ( and would always remind him him)of the God of Abraham and Issac as his own God too.

By anointing the stone, Jacob was consecrating it as an alter for worshiping God. It was a symbolic of his personal consecration or setting himself apart for Go.

His promise, that if God be with him throughout the journey (and back to his father's house), protected him and provided food and clothing for him, then God would be his God, he would build a house for God at the place where he had errected the the stone. He also promised to give a tenth of wht he had to God.

Setting the stone upright was to Honor God

Annoint the stone was to devote himself to God

Jacob promises that God will be his only God

Q3. (Genesis 28:18-21) What did it mean to Jacob to set up the stone?

It was a reminder of the vision that was shown to him where his own relationship first began. Like a memorial of what had happen.

What did anointing the stone mean to him?

Maybe like a consecration of sorts. After all, he carried the oil with him on this pilgrimage, it didn’t just pop out from nowhere. Perhaps this people may have used the oil for cleansing things in the site of Yahowah. This is the first time the word oil is even mentioned in the King James version so I really can’t be sure. Father Yahowah had just shown His son jacob, favor upon His life and that to me constitutes a huge offering of gratitude.

Why does he do these things?

Maybe as a sign of worship, a sacrifice of praise or something.

What does he promise God in his vow?

I think he was making a pledge that he make Yahowah God Lord over his life if he would do these things and take him safely back to his mom and dad. I think he had just begun to know who Yahowah God really was in his life and wasn’t quite sure how to trust Him yet and was maybe building on that part of this new found relationship. It’s not like Yahowah God was standing right in front of him. He was saying thank you Lord, I will make You my Lord if You do as you have said. Kinda like Mary did, “Let it be as you have said” Hearing the voice of Yahowah would have been one huge thing in my mind, but to see this vision would have been life changing. I know visions from Yahowah God have been something that has stabilized my walk. I can always go back to those visions and KNOW that He is with me still. This is in a since, my memorial, my altar of praise because when i think about the visions that I have been shown and then to see a few of them come to life, well I know that He keeps His promises and I do not doubt Him or His word when I read what His promises are. Even the ones that say, there will be trials and there will be tribulations... These are promises too and because they come from His word, they give me comfort because “I KNOW” that He has already told me, He knows all about them....