JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Tithing

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob was following the step of faith with the step of action. He was demonstrating in a tangible way this new commitment he had made. He was accepting the Kingship of Yahweh and was offering his King the appropriate due. This explanation of the ancient tithe was very helpful to me (and yes, the interesting question lingers of who received Jacob's tithe!)

There are 2 levels of faith. First you believe with the head (intellectual assent), and secondly with the heart (acceptance with the emotions and will). Jacob believed there was a Yahweh all his life, but Jacob had never placed his personal trust in Yahweh as his own and only God until this event. The LORD spoke national and personal promises to this individual man, and Jacob responded. So this truly was a conversion from casual knowledge to intimate experience. I think this is the identical process for becoming a genuine follower of Christ.

Conversion produces a response of giving. God is a giver, freely giving of Himself and His creation to us for our sustenance and enjoyment. When we realize He is the Supreme and Sovereign Ruler, we are humbled to give back to Him in a demonstration of love, gratitude, and submission to stewardship. Tithing reflects the inner condition of the heart. It reveals what is most important to us, earth or heaven. It displays where our faith truly lies, in worldly resources or in Yahweh-Jireh, our Provider.

It is an important lesson for christians. One cannot give his money unless he completely gives himself to Christ and recognizes His sovereignty over his life. When we read the New Testament, we find that one of the two will have dominon over ones heart- money or the Lord.One has to chose either of the two; Jacob teaches us to make the right choice.May I say, one who understands the love of God Almighty and absolutely identifies himself with Christ will never hesitate to give even more than one-tenth of what the Lord has given him.

He showed he was serving God, that he was not his own anymore, but God's. It was a realization that anything Jacob had came from God.

I think it was a type of conversion experience for him--he began serving God, rather than self.

When we tithe, it shows we trust Him and have committed our lives to Him.

It freed him up to be all God wanted him to be.

All of that what God gives to Jacob was promised as tenth to God by Jacob. I do not think, it was conversation in the spiritual sense. The incident at Bethel strengthened Jacob in his faith, confirmed to him, hugely, the presence of God and made him sure, he is not alone, he has a mighty partner. The promise of tithing is a way of confirming that Jacob accepts the God

Jacob promises to tithe one tenth of al that God gives him. Tithing is an indication of authority over and submission to. Up til this time, Jacob has seen God as his famil's tradition. Now however, Jacob accepts God as his own One True God and trusts Him for all his needs and Submits to god's kingship over him.

When Jacob promises to tithe it shows that he really means business, for once he has promised this to God there is no going back on his word. He does this to show that he has submitted himself to God.

Jacob will have believed in God all his life for he was brought up to do so, but God was not a prominent figure who he would obey, until after he met God face to face and became converted.

Tithing to God is a privilige given only to His own people.

When we tithe, the money goes into the store house (our own church) and is used for many different things, especially missions. We have someone to give our tithe to and they administer the details.

Here, Jacob is a man alone at this particular time although he later becomes the head of a large tribe. He has no one else to hand his tithe to, so do you think that he will handle it himself? Maybe in the beginning by offering sacrifice to God? Always keeping a tenth of his substance apart from the rest so it can be used for Godly purposes? Our time can also be tithed, so perhaps he will set apart a certain time to worship and pray to God?

Love from Greta

:wub:

Q4. (Genesis 28:22) What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment? Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life. In what sense is this incident at Bethel a conversion experience for him? What is the relationship of tithing to conversion?

Tithing is, first and foremost, an act of worshipful recognition of God as the source of our existence and all blessings and providence. Jacob, in following the example of his grandfather Abraham, recognized this. When God reconfirmed to him the promises He had made to Abraham, that is why he promised God that "of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You" (Genesis 28:20-22).

When you tithe you are aligning your attitude and actions with universal principles originating with God.

Our faith to tithe is founded in the realization that God owns everything, including ourselves, and that we recognize Him as both our Creator and the great Giver of all good things.

Q4. (Genesis 28:22) What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment?

He knows that God will supply all his need. This shows a vow of loyalty and submission to the Lord as his King and God.

Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life. In what sense is this incident at Bethel a conversion experience for him?

It changed him inwardly which changed the way he saw and did things outwardly. He had a face to face encounter with the Living God.

What is the relationship of tithing to conversion?

Tithing is a powerful indicator to us that we trust God and have committed our lives to him.

Jacob's promise to give tithe to God indicated his submission and commitment to the lorship of God . It was also a demonstration of faith in God's ability to supply all his needs. By this he acknowleged that all thigns needed by him came from God.This incidence at Bethel was a conversion experience for Jacob. From then on, he depended on God for protection, provision and guidance. He no longer was the self centered and selfish Jacob who took advantage of his hungry brother and deceived his father.

Q4. (Genesis 28:22) What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment? Surely Jacob had heard the story from his Grandpa

Q4 Jacob's promise to tithe indicates that he accepted the Lord's kingship over him, an

act of submission and fealty.

Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life, this incident in Bethel

would further increase his faith and commitment to God, because Jacob had a personal

encounter with God and experienced the divine presence within his soul. This would

also make Jacob more trusting and relying on the God of province for everything.

When one has received conversion, he/she will grow in closer relationship with God

and experience His love. Knowing that God supply all our needs and every blessing

come from Him, it is our duty as children of God to give back what is due to God.

(Matthew 22:21) This is to demonstrate our allegaence, our love and that we serve

God rather than money.

Q4. (Genesis 28:22)

What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment? Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life. In what sense is this incident at Bethel a conversion experience for him? What is the relationship of tithing to conversion?

Jacob

Q4. (Genesis 28:22) What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment?

It indicates that Jacob recognizes this is the God of creation he has just encountered, and he was committed to putting Him first.

Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life. In what sense is this incident at Bethel a conversion experience for him?

The churches and even Bible studies are filled with people like Jacob, who have a head knowledge of God, but no personal relationship with Him. The incident at Bethel was Jacob's "come to Jesus" meeting where he moved from knowing about God, to the full realization that God is real, personal, available, knowable, Holy, and interested in Jacob as an individual.

What is the relationship of tithing to conversion?

It signifies the new revelation that everything belongs to God and the transfer of the preconversion belief that "it's all mine", to "God allows me to have 90% to enjoy, and the first tenth I joyfully give back to Him." It's the acknowledgement that He is first in my life, rather than what I earned and accumulated, or the living out of "Where the treasure is, there the heart is also".

Q4. (Genesis 28:22) What does Jacob's promise to tithe indicate about his commitment? Presumably, Jacob has been a believer in Yahweh all his life. In what sense is this incident at Bethel a conversion experience for him? What is the relationship of tithing to conversion?

Genesis 28:22 "and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God