JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Faith and God's Word

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The LORD so preciously and patiently quieted Jacob's heart with the words "Do not be afraid". He reminded His servant that He was God and was ever faithful to accomplish every promise He had made. He reassured Jacob that He would not leave him in any way, and that Jacob was going to see the son he had thought dead and spend the rest of his days with him. Even though Jacob had received these same words directly from Yahweh twice before, his faith had wavered in the years since as he suffered numerous heartbreaks and losses. I think he also grieved over the character and behaviors that were displayed by his sons, who were willing to deceive, betray, and even murder - and maybe a personal burden of guilt at his own failures and flawed example before them. But rather than take these things directly to God and make the decision to believe in spite of his circumstances, Jacob focused on himself instead. And so he floundered for many years, unable/unwilling to even call sin "sin". His turning point came when there was absolutely nowhere else to go and he realized he simply had to trust God and act in faith whether he felt it or not. That is always the crux of the issue when in crisis or trial.

The relationship between faith and God's Words is clear. Our faith is based on two things: 1) the reliability of the One who speaks, and 2) what He has said. If I do not trust someone then I'll never really rely on much of what that person promises. We become wounded/disappointed/cynical from the untrustworthiness of humanity. And we tend to transfer that lack of full and genuine trust to the Person of God. If we don't trust His heart, we won't trust His words with our own hearts. I've learned that His Word is the very thing I must turn to in times of doubt, fear, uncertainty, and sorrow. The reminder of who God has revealed Himself to be and the promises He has made through His Word are the comfort/ peace/ strength that will bolster my faith. That faith gives the courage to follow God in obedience, not only in my deeds but also in my own words as I speak about/into my circumstances. My confession of faith in spite of my feelings is also an important example to others who are observing my life, especially when it's in crisis.

1st,That God speaks to him.That alone is revival itself.All the words and all the truth of what's transpired wash him with overwhelming joy.Our lives rarely take the steady-state form of constant faith,love,hope,effort,energy,dedication,and action;they are called forth in bursts,followed by periods of rest.God Heals (Jehovah Rophe) ! "Do not be afraid",when that phrase proceeds from God,puts fear itself to flight.Jacob's spirit is revived ! Give thanks to Our Lord !God's Grace is given to us through faith.

First of all, reminding Jacob of Who He is, He assures Jacob that He will be with him in Egypt and bring him back again. He tells him not to be afraid.

He stopped believing it because his eyes were on his problems, not the Problem-Solver!

God's words are truth, but if you don't have faith to walk in that truth, they're just words.

Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears?

God said to Jacob: "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again. And Joseph's own hand will close your eyes." It is a powerful speech that must quiet everybody.

God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it?

We people are all the same. We have our troubles, our plans, our visions... Often forgotten that these plans may be changed within one short moment by God

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4) Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears? God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it? What is the relationship between faith and God's words?

God reassured Jacob by promising to go with him and take care of him.

Those that go where God sends them shall certainly have God with them.

In undertaking a journey, or entering upon any new plan, we should feel our dependence upon God, seek his blessing, and commit ourselves to hsi guidance and care

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4) Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears? God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it? What is the relationship between faith and God's words?

Genesis 46:2-4 - And God spoke to Israel in a vision at night and said, "Jacob! Jacob!" "Here I am," he replied. "I am God, the God of your father," he said. "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again. And Joseph

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4) Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God’s word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears? God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it? What is the relationship between faith and God’s words?

1. Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears?

I think everything that God said to him quieted his fears. Confirmed once again who he was "I am God, the God of your father", It gave him assurance that God would

make him into a great nation and bring him back to the same land, and that the son that he missed all those years would take care of him.

2. God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it?

It seems to me that his grief got the better of him. Not talking to God about the deep hurt you are going through will make you turn away from God and quiet frankly make

you stop believeing.

3. What is the relationship between faith and God's word?

It goes hand in hand. Faith comes after hearing the word of God. Even when we do not understand it or it doesn't make any sense we have that peace about taking that

leap of faith knowing that God is in total control of the situation. Having faith says I believe even though I can't see or understand why but I believe it is the right thing

according to the word of God and I am willing to take that step.

1. Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears?

I think everything that God said to him quieted his fears. Confirmed once again who he was "I am God, the God of your father", It gave him assurance that God would

make him into a great nation and bring him back to the same land, and that the son that he missed all those years would take care of him.

2. God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it?

It seems to me that his grief got the better of him. Not talking to God about the deep hurt you are going through will make you turn away from God and quiet frankly make

you stop believeing.

3. What is the relationship between faith and God's word?

It goes hand in hand. Faith comes after hearing the word of God. Even when we do not understand it or it doesn't make any sense we have that peace about taking that

leap of faith knowing that God is in total control of the situation. Having faith says I believe even though I can't see or understand why but I believe it is the right thing

according to the word of God and I am willing to take that step.

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4)

Faith is what quiets our fears.

What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears?

God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3).

Why do you think he had stopped believing it?

What is the relationship between faith and God's words?

God reassured Jacob by promising to go with him and take care of him. Although God had made the same promises to Jacob before, Jacob stopped believing when things started going wrong for him. With his bereavement he failed to trust God and lean on Him for comfort. No, he continued in self-pity and fear. It is only when we surrender all and trust our Heavenly Father fully that we can live experiencing His peace.

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4) Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears?

He tells him not to be afraid. He promises His Presence will go with Jacob and company. He reminds him "I AM God. I'm the God of your Father. He also promies that He will make Jacob a great nation there, and that He will bring Jacob back to the land of promise to be buried, and that his precious Joseph will be there with him when he dies to close his eyes.

God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it?

Lots of time had passed, and the promise was a distant memory, perhaps like a dream he had that wasn't really real. The great losses had weighed his heart down with grief and sadness. His circumstances hadn't lined up with the glorious promises...., and he weakened in his faith. His focus had turned inward and his relationship with God was put on hold apparently.

What is the relationship between faith and God's words?

God's Word is alive and active, and will not return void but will accomplish the purpose for which it is sent, so it can fall on a hardened heart and soften it. But faith KEEPS it alive in our hearts. It believes even when our circumstances aren't lining up with the way we thought it was going to be. God gave me glorious promises 37 years ago, and exactly the opposite circumstances have been rule of these many years, but faith will not let me let go of the promises, because God does not lie and sometime they will be fulfilled.

God spoke to Jacob, told him not be afraid and promised to go with him to Egypt where He wouold make him prosperous. This was what made Jacob to renew his faith in God. Jacob had stop believing God's promises because he had allowed fear to dominate him. Removing his mind and attention from God and His ability to save, protect and provide made fear to creep into him.

Faith comes by hearing the word of God. That is what the Bible says in Romans 10:17. This is exactly what happened to Jacob, he heard God,s words and his faith was renewed.

In Gods word to Jacob at Beersheba He made it clear God would take Jacob into Egypt and Joseph would be there and that Joseph would

be at Jacobs side at death. And that God would bring the families out of Egypt when the time was right.

e

Faith is believing what we Have not seen. If God says it will be we must have a faith that believes even if it seems that

the opposite of his promises seem to be Happening that God will make His words real perhaps in ways we dont see.

Joseph could not see why things were happening to him in the life he lived. But God made good come out of some tough and

Hard tims in His Life.

God says it- He does it.

That which quiets Jacob's fears is the promise that God will lead and go with him and keep him, bring him through what lies ahead. Why Jacob backed away from this assurance in 28:15 was probably a result of all that he was going through and not really staying close enough to God. Faith in who God is and that his promises are true is the basis upon which we stand as we trust His words.

Q4. (Genesis 46:2-4) Faith is what quiets our fears. What in God's word to Jacob at Beersheba quiets his fears? Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt." I will go down to Egypt with you," God promises him, "and will surely bring you back again."

God had brought the same assurance to Jacob before (28:15; 31:3). Why do you think he had stopped believing it?So often we forget the companionship God offers, and turn to our own dwindling resources. There's an old hymn that expresses it well:

"O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,

All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer....

Are we weak and heavy laden, Cumbered with a load of care?

Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer."

What is the relationship between faith and God's words?We must believe God's words by faith in order to gain peace and comfort.smile.gif

Q4 "DO NOT BE AFRAID' and "I WILL SURELY BRING YOU BACK AGAIN." These are the

assuring words which God had given to Jacob to quieten his fears.

Fear has crept into Jacob and the loss of so many of his loved one has made Jacob

put his full attention on himself rather than on God. His flesh has taken

complete control over him.

'FAITH' is a gift from God. (Ephesians 2:8) It is by grace, we have been saved

through faith. When we have faith as a mustard seed, we can move mountains.

In John 1:1 "In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD WAS with God, and the

WORD was God. Like Simon Peter, we should respond to God and said where shall

we go, You have the words of eternal life. Jesus has asked us to abide in His

WORD, then we can be his disciples for God's words are the truth and the truth

shall set us free. There is power in God's Words.

If I had been Jacob, the words that would have quieted my fears would be, "I am God, the God of your father. Don't be afraid to go to Egypt for I will go there with you and will surely bring you back again".

Jacob was a young man when God first promised to be with him always. A lot has happened in the meantime and Jacob no longer walked closely with God as depression and despair had seperated them. Jacob was 130 years old when he arrived in Egypt. I am 70, and am always glad to hear important words spoken again, for I don't always remember either.

Faith and God's Words go hand in hand, and for those who keep tight hold of both, there is a life with God full of faith and assurance. But sometimes life gets in the way, disapointments, depression, doubt and stress - and then - 'after Jacob's spirit was revived, he heard God's voice and promises again, and was restored and reassured'.

I seem to be hearing that Jacob had to make the first move by believing that Joseph was still alive, and starting to come out of his depression, and THEN God spoke to him at Beersheba.

Love from Greta

:wub: