JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Paul use light and darkness,where we were and where we are to remind us (the Colossians)about the gift of slavation we have been given.He could have used freedom and oppression,love and hate,joy and resentment...but I think he did,by using the same analogy (light and darkness) that is repeated in scripture to help us "see" good as light and evil as darkness.Good as reveling,evil as hiding.Good as energetic.Evil as energy absorbing.(sorry folks,I answered too quickly...I'll get back with the second part in a later post).

There is a grand difference between Satan and his realm & God's realm. It is a darkness--not being able to see well, depression as opposed to light, love & being rescued.

It is good to know where we were to where we are now--that there has been great progress.

Our inheritance is with Jesus forever--we have forgiveness/redemption. Because we have accepted His gift of salvation that qualifies us as saints in His kingdom.

We have been rescued from the dominion of darkness--being a slave to satan to the kingdom of God's Son--a willing slave to God because of our redemption by Jesus.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Why does he remind them where they came from? What is "the inheritance of the saints in light" that he mentions? In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13? In what sense are subjects "governed" in each?

a. Paul uses the terms darkness and light to show the dramatic difference between where they were and where they are now. They had stepped over into a totally different realm of existence with their acceptance of Jesus Christ as their Messiah. The two realms are in complete opposition. The darkness is evil, malignant, and controlling. It is full of bondage. The light of Jesus is filled with hope, love, redemption, and forgiveness.

b. Paul reminds the Colossians of where they came from because he wants them to somehow grasp the fact that they are in a spiritual struggle yet against darkness. The war is not over until we get to heaven. Perhaps he wants to remind them of the bondage of their past so that they will not want to accept any teaching that wouild drag them back to that place.

c. I think the inheritance is the salvation of our souls, both now and continuing through eternity.

d. Darkness is described as a dominion, and Light is described as a Kingdom. Darkness has to do with being controlled or ruled in a sphere of power; Light has to do with the Kingdom of God where God reigns with royal power as our King.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Why does he remind them where they came from? What is

(Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future?

We once lived in darkness under the rule of Satan...things of the world...and when we know Christ Jesus we step into lightness and freedom. The description makes the choice so much more obvious to us.

Why does he remind them where they came from?

Paul reminds the people thaey came form the spirit of darkness so they can see this is a real choice that needs to be made.

What is

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future?

The darkness represents the spiritual bondage and sin they were in, while the light represents the new life offered them of hope, love, redemption and forgiveness through Jesus.

So they can see or realize the depth of sin they were rescued from.

What is "the inheritance of the saints in light" that he mentions?

The kingdom of the Son He loves.

In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13?

One is a kingdom of light the other a kingdom of darkness

In what sense are subjects "governed" in each?

One is dark, malignant, and controlling. The other is filled with light, hope, love, redemption, and forgiveness.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Why does he remind them where they came from? What is "the inheritance of the saints in light" that he mentions? In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13? In what sense are subjects "governed" in each?

He uses these terms because true believers have been transferred from darkness to light, from slavery to freedom, from guilt to forgiveness, and from the power of Satan to the power of God. We have been rescued from a rebel kingdom to serve the rightful King.

Light is a symbol of purity and blessedness.

Satan is the power of darkness. Those in sin are held under his power.

The inheritance of the saints. God's infinite love had called them to be children, heirs, and joint-heirs with Christ. The heavenly inheritance is meant. To have a share with the saints in light is to be heirs of heavenly felicity.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Why does he remind them where they came from? What is “the inheritance of the saints in light” that he mentions? In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13? In what sense are subjects “governed” in each?

a).Paul uses the term darkness and light because the two elements are a total contrast,as is our transformation from being sinners to being committed Christian.

B).He reminds them of where they come from because people tend to forget how bad things were. Forgetting the past can also lead to making the same mistakes again, returning to their basic sinful nature.

c). God accepts us for what we are, and while we may not be saints, Paul lets us know that we are all equal in Gods

eyes.

d). They are contrasted as being a place of darkness ( where satan dwells) and the kingdom of heaven which is God's kingdom of light and love.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Because they, and we, have been brought from the darkness of our past existence into light through our belief in Christ. This fundamantal transition from darkness into light is a key part of the faith of Paul's readers, both then in Colossae, and now.

Why does he remind them where they came from? Because there is always a danger of sliding back into the dark. Darkness is the default setting of humans and without Christ it is where we would stay and to where we would return. It is therefore necessary to keep Christ as the centre of our lives to remain fully in the light.

What is

Darkness and Light:

Paul pointed out that Christians are rescued from the dominion of darkness (ignorance, falsehood, and sin, and in the case of the Colossians, heresy) and brought into the Kingdom of the Son, or the Kingdom of Light.

Because he did not want them to go back through the false teachings.

The inheritance of the saints in light:

To be brought into the Kingdom of the Son, under the sovereign rule of the Lord Christ over human hearts.

The contrast of the governing bodies:

It indicates the contrasting spiritual realms. The one is dark, malignant, and controlling. The other is filled with light, hope, love, redemption, and forgiveness.

Sin and darkness are synonomous and light and Christ are synonomous in the Bible and we were in the darkness and now are in Christ which is light.

This is marvelous. Sometimes I sense the darkness around me and I am so thankful to be bought by the blood of Christ and now in the kingdom of light.

When we remember where we came from it should have a change in our attitude as we see or remember what we were saved from. It should be a reminder for us not only of that but of what we have ahead of us in Christ. God has brought us into the kingdom of his Son from the sewer of life we were in.

No matter what our present circumstances we should give God all praise and glory.

The two governing bodies are the domain of Satan and darkness where we were slaves to sin and the kingdom of Christ who is God's beloved son where we lovingly desire to live a life pleasing to our Lord in total gratitude for what He has done for us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Paul uses the terms darkness and light to describe the Christian believers life from past to present to distinguish between the realms we choose to live in. In darkness is sin and death. Satan loves the dark and evil and sin. He dwells in darkness. In Christ there is light. He is the light of the world. Believing in Him and accepting Him, ushers us out of the darkness and darkness can not stay where light is. In a dark room, suddenly flooded with light, the darkness is instantly gone. In Christ there is redemption and forgiveness. Where He is, there is light.

Paul reminds the people where they came from to remind them of how they used to live in darkness. The Holy Spirit reminds us also of where we've been and come from when we used to dwell in darkness in different areas. We are reminded of a life we don't want to return to. If the temptation is there to do that, we are reminded of God's goodness and forgiving love and infinite help and our salvation through Jesus and the power of His blood. We resist the temptation through His power and in love with gratitude for what we have been rescued from. If we fall, and repent, we are still redeemed through His blood and can stand in His light again confessing our sins. It is the power of His blood that strengthens us to persevere through temptations and trials. Even to get up and try again if needed.

The inheritance of the saints in the light is the Kingdom of God. When we receive redemption and forgiveness through Jesus, we are members of His Kingdom. We are considered sons and daughters of God. Believe it!

The two governing bodies in vs. 13 are " The dominion of darkness" and "The Kingdom of the Son He loves." And to add to that, "In Whom we have redemption and forgiveness of sins." Satan rules the dominion of darkness. Christ reigns in the Kingdom of redemption and forgiveness. How wonderful to stand in the light of the Lord where sin is forgiven and we are called sons and daughters of God!

There is power, power, wonder working power in the blood of the Lamb!

1. Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future?

The terms darkness that Paul use is refer to the power of darkness that be use to be before we come to know christ. and as for the light is refer to the kingdom of God, beside that a new life that with Christ. That we been set free from sin.

2. why does he remind them where they came from?

He remind them where they came from so that they won't forget how they struggle last time. With this, they will remember stand more firm in Christ so that won't went back to the pass.

3. What is " the inheritance of the saints in the light" that he mentions?

to live in Kingdom of God.

4. In verse 13 we find 2 terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13? in what sense are subjects "governed"in each?

For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, (col 1:13)

2 terms that used of governing bodies... dominion of darkness and the kingdom of the Son

contrasted... in the pass we been chain in sin where we live in darkness and when we accept Christ, the chain of sin open and we been brought to the light. Power that control us in the darkness and the power to break the darkness and that set us free..

Paul uses theseterms to let the Colossians know that or rather tto remind them when they were in the world or did not know Christ or what He stood for that they were doing the things of the world and living the way of the world and when they heard the word of God and they accepted Christ they no longer operated in the world system because they had bee shown the way to God's marvelous light because Christ is the light of the world and through Him they are sons of God in Him ( Christ) we are kings and priest and we are all part of Christ. Because the Devil is of the world system, therefore Christ is of the Kindom system and if we are followers of Christ then we are of the Kingdom system. Therefore Kingdom system is constuited of Light, Love, Redemption and Forgaveness whereby the world system is of nothing but Darkness, Destruction and Death.

Why does Paul use light and darkness,where we were and where we are to remind us (the Colossians)about the gift of salvation we have been given.He could have used freedom and oppression,love and hate,joy and resentment...but I think he did,by using the same analogy (light and darkness) that is repeated in scripture to help us "see" good as light and evil as darkness.Good as reveling,evil as hiding.Good as energetic.Evil as energy absorbing.(sorry folks,I answered too quickly...I'll get back with the second part in a later post).

Part 2 Governing bodies:The light shines in the darkness but the darkness does not understand the nature of light.The governing body of the light is the unity in love of the kingdom of God.The governing body of darkness,which does not comprehend the light,which created it,consists of a conglomeration of principalities,rulers,authorities and lies themselves.It does not understand it's own nature,and can not rule,except by the very defiance of truth that defines it.There is a will that opposes the truth,and it is in some way attached to the sinful nature of humanity through the "dominion of darkness" which we struggle against.It is subtle and deceptive.It finds the weakest point(s) in our defense,plays us against each other, and attempts to establish a false order, to enlist us as it's agents,against the will of our Creator.It will use our very desire to "do well" or "advance" in "knowledge" without wisdom,to hear our own,pleasant sounding,words,applauded and praised by others, to distort and dilute the truth.It will fail,but it will lead many from the path of righteousness.Paul knew what he was fighting,so it must be possible for the light to comprehend,and reject, the darkness.

Paul includes himself (us) in contrasting where we were and where we are. I think he uses darkness and light to emphasize the extreme difference the Gospel has made and is making in our lives.

I think he reminds us where we came from in order to help us better appreciate where we are and to evoke thankfulness.

We share in the “inheritance of the saints in light” because we are children of God and co-heirs with Christ (Rom 8:17; Eph 1:18;3:6; Gal 3:29). This is the hope of eternal life from which springs the faith and love that we, and the Colossian Christians, have in Christ (Col. 1:5).

We are delivered from the dominion of darkness and brought into the kingdom of the Son. Though both dominions and kingdoms are subject to the one who rules, the two terms are contrasted by the one who has the authority in each. The dominion of darkness is ruled by everything evil (darkness) and the kingdom of the Son is ruled by God Himself (light). We who are Christians are no longer under the malevolent authority of evil but under the benevolent authority of God.

DARKNESS in that we were held captives, in bondage, ruled over by evil forces that hated us. . . LIGHT in that we have been brought out of that state or condition into one of love and liberty. . .

There are times when we need to be reminded of where we came from to appreciate where we are and how we got here. . .

DOMINION OF DARKNESS - controlled by evil forces - controlled by a sinful nature. . . Romans 7:14-25 (NKJV)

14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.

16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.

17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.

22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

25 I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

KINGDOM OF HIS DEAR SON - a state where we have been forgiven of all sin, redeemed, and loved. . .

DARKNESS - there is the control of its subjects by force / tyranny. . .

LIGHT - where we are submissive to / surrendered to the authority of Christ. . .

B)

Q 3: Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Before hearing the gospel they lived in the world (darkness) which is full of greed, evil thoughts, selfish desires - Satan's realm. Once they heard and accepted the gospel they were freed from their sin debt, they were filled with the Holy Spirit, and the love of Christ Jesus and the joy of wanting to bear the fruit of this knowledge to all who would listen so that they also would have the opportunity to share in the Kingdom of God and all its riches.

Why does he remind them where they came from? Because Satan is a strong adversary and he will try to pull them back into his realm of darkness

What is the inheritance of the saints in light that he mentions? The Kingdom of the Son he loves and in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of our sins.

In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies, how are they contrasted in verse 13? The first one is referred to the dominion of darkness from which we are rescued. This is Satan's realm. The second is the Kingdom of the Son he loves in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of our sins. This is eternal life that we share with God the Father, Jesus Christ his Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Q3. (Colossians 1:12-13) Why does Paul use the terms darkness and light to portray his readers past and future? Why does he remind them where they came from? What is “the inheritance of the saints in light” that he mentions? In verse 13 we find two terms used of governing bodies? How are they contrasted in verse 13? In what sense are subjects “governed” in each?

So we could see the contrast or difference between living for the world or living for Christ. The old and new man. Maybe so they could see the change in themselves, to appreciate where they are now compared to the past. we are qualified to be part of the kingdom. the two bodies are dominion and kingdom. Dominion is dark,malignant and controlling. Kingdom is light,hope ,love,forgiveness and redemption.