JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. What Is Lacking in Christ's Afflictions

Pastor Ralph

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church

As followers of Christ, however, we should be willing and prepared to do God

In considering Paul's statement and in my flesh, I am filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, I've thought of it in the sense that the only thing "lacking in Christ's afflictions" was the specific task left to His Body to accept the burden of bearing the gospel of His accomplishment out to the whole world - no matter the cost.

The Greek word translated as afflictions means "pressure; opposition, distress, anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble" (Greek Lexicon). Christ accepted/suffered all these things. He held nothing back and lacked absolutely nothing in His sufficiency to accomplish the work of redemption. Now we are called to conform to His life as we die to our flesh in daily denial of self (with its human flaws, perversions, and inadequacies) and take up our cross (Luke 9:23) - presenting ourselves as holy and acceptable living sacrifices (Romans 12:1). That is suffering, and yet Paul was honored to do it!

In our commission there are inherent personal afflictions of each believer in sacrificing and yielding oneself completely to the message and the mission. Paul certainly did that as he faithfully died to self so that Christ might live greater in him (2Corinthians 4:11-12). He was willing to endure hardships we can only imagine in order to take the saving gospel message to a dark/hardened world (2Cor. 11:23-33). He showed us how to persevere and carry on with steadfast hope and unwavering joy in the opportunity to suffer for the sake of the Church - that the lost be saved and the saved be matured.

I think Paul was certainly enlarging the picture of Christ's personal suffering for the sake of His Body, the church. We are now included in that "cosmic" picture as we're infused with His Spirit to become like Him and participate as that Body, with Him as our Head. That's not just in the glories we look forward to, but also in the afflictions of living the gospel in this fallen world and giving everything we are/have to serve the Father and the kingdom.

Each believer's personal sufferings for the sake of that gospel are so valued that there are promises of blessing because of it (Luke 18:29-30; 1Corinthians 9:23). In our suffering, the Church Body more accurately represents Christ, the Servant who suffered for the world. The gospel is given freely, but it is a costly gift. And the glory of Christ is always gained through suffering with Christ.

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

Jesus told us "the servant is not above the master", and as our Master suffered so may we. Jesus' afflictions were many: He was homeless and owned nothing except the clothes he wore, in poverty and leanness, but with provision for all that He needed. He suffered socially, rejected by most, including his own family until after the Resurrection and they began to understand His mission. He suffered emotionally, in that He was on this mission alone, which no one on earth understood or could validate or be empathetic. He suffered emotionally and spiritually on the cross as His Father had to turn His back on the sin Jesus carried for all of us, separated from Him for the first time, so that we won't ever have to endure that separation. He suffered humiliation, abuse, betrayal as well as excruciating physical pain.....He learned obedience through what He suffered...He was always God, until He limited Himself to humanity in how He dealt with life, and for the first time had to submit His will to the will of His Father (Heb. 5:8)

In light of that, we expect to suffer as we follow Him. We will never suffer to the degree which He suffered...we will never be separated from God, which would be the ultimate in suffering. He is our example, and we will suffer rejection at times, betrayal, and perhaps physically and even martyrdom. We suffer physical, emotional, and spiritual attacks from the enemy because we belong to Jesus and they often come through people we know and love as well as from strangers. We suffer when we deny self and yield to the Holy Spirit, but Peter told us to rejoice when we suffer all kinds of trials, because trials develop our character and our faith...showing whether it's genuine or not.

Our suffering gives opportunity for Him to shine through us. Steven was radiant as he was stoned to death, looking unto Him. Unbelievers watch us to see how or if our faith makes any difference in how we choose to live. When my family lost everything and were homeless, believers were watching us as well, and told us later that they were encouraged by our faith and by watching how God has provided and cared for us, in that we never lacked anything and were totally dependent upon Him through others provision. It's been a testimony to unbelievers as they see that God is real and alive and involved in our every day lives and needs.

Jesus suffered as he made the sacrifice for us. We share in his inheritances and one of those is suffering. If Jesus had to suffer, so do we. This helps the church become stronger. It inspires others and helps them to endure whatever they're going through. It unifies the church as well.

Christ's bodily suffering on the cross for the sins of mankind is complete. There is no need for Paul to add to Christ's "once-for-all" sacrifice.

Paul rejoices in his suffering on behalf of Christ's body (the church). He "fills up what is lacking" in the sense that the members of His body share in Christ's suffering. Paul is doing his part for Christ's church and for the testimony of the Truth. Whatever Paul does "completes" his part of the body's necessary suffering.

It's hard to imagine that I personally suffer for Christ. I am not persecuted for my beliefs. Generally, no one even challenges my beliefs. On the other hand, I have willingly dedicated my life to His service. Perhaps my example inspires others to serve Him. Maybe Christ's body (the church) is made more complete by my efforts to introduce the lost to the Savior. Since all the body suffers when one part suffers, it's possible that my concern, prayers, and help for those who are physically persecuted for the cause of Christ fulfills "my part" of the body's sufferings.

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions? Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense? If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

Jesus' suffering on the cross completed our salvation. However, we are also called to "share in his sufferings." This means we will also suffer for the sake of the gospel. It is our turn now to face persecution of some sort for our faith. As we suffer, we become an inspiration to fellow believers to endure suffering, to persevere, and to accomplish much for the Kingdom.

2 Corinthians 4:17 (Amplified Bible)

17For our light, momentary affliction (this slight distress of the passing hour) is ever more and more abundantly preparing and producing and achieving for us an everlasting weight of glory [beyond all measure, excessively surpassing all comparisons and all calculations, a vast and transcendent glory and blessedness never to cease!],

I am so glad for your post. This is exactly the lesson the Holy Spirit has been trying to teach me the past several months. I am going to print your reply to meditate on. PTL.

Q1. (Colossians 1:24)

How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross?

Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense?

If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

In prison Paul endured untold hardships, persecutions, and afflictions (sufferings). Paul saw these afflictions as part of God

Q1. (Colossians 1:24) How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Jesus suffered and died not just for the Jew, but also for the Gentile's, those who were alienated from God, Jesus completed His work, his suffering. - Suffering is not completed in mankind, Paul's suffering (and all those who are in Christ) is something he was willing to do, he even rejoiced in, he suffered on account of his labors as he preached to the Gentile's, the pagan people at large, he was on trial in Rome for teaching that Christ broke down the partition between the Jews and Gentiles, the gospel was to be preached to all mankind, the good news must go out to the world no matter what the cost be, when Christ removed his blindness from Paul, he truly could see what Christ came to do, He came to save the world.

Q. Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? NO. Christ's suffering was and is complete.

Q. Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense and if so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church? The "church" is the calling out, the uniting together of Jew and Gentile through the Messiah, it is the message, the good news, the gospel Paul understood and was willing to suffer for, but what happened to that truth?

Down through the ages, was the "church" willing to suffer as Paul did? rejoicing in the truth, the Gentile's have been grafted into the true Olive Tree, who's roots are Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, (Israel) united together under the Messiah, or did the church decide Christ's suffering was all that was needed, building back the partition, the wall of separation, instead of the good news Paul was willing to suffer for?

Does history record a church rejoicing in its suffering no matter what may come their way, or does it record a church that put back its partition, a wall of anti-Semitism replacing love and unity that the church was called out to do, rejoicing in its suffering, whatever may come its way?

Q1. (Colossians 1:24)

• How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Of course, Christ's redemptive suffering on the cross for our atonement was complete and finished, "once and for all" (Romans 6:10; Hebrews 9:26-28). But that doesn't mean that Jesus is the last to suffer for the gospel. It was Christ's time to suffer on the cross. Now it is Paul's, and perhaps soon it will be yours.

Paul sees something still lacking in Christ's afflictions,5 a "need, want, deficiency." 6 It's as if there's something preordained about this suffering. Consider the vision in Revelation:

"When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?" Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed (plēroō)." (Revelation 6:9-11)

• Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross? Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense?

There's also a sense in which we are united with Christ in our sufferings. We share in his sufferings; our sufferings are a part of his.

"We are ... heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17-18)

"I want to know Christ ... and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings." (Philippians 3:10)

• If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

The same as for Paul.

In what way do Paul's sufferings benefit the Church at Colossae -- and us today?

1. Inspiration. Paul's example in suffering inspires us to endure as well.
  2. Accomplishment. Paul's willingness to endure whatever is necessary to get the job done enables him to touch more lives. He doesn't quit when the going gets tough.
  3. Corporate unity and completeness. Since both Paul and we are part of Christ's body, then Christ's sufferings affect us and our sufferings affect Christ. There will come a day when the last martyr is killed, the last suffering is done, and the afflictions of the Messiah will be complete.8 Then Christ will return in glory. This is a more mystical idea, harder to get our head around, but I believe Paul has this in mind in verse 24.

I believe and am confident that the purpos for which Christ came into this world was completed by Him - I don't believe that there is anything lacking. . . I can't see that anything Paul suffered - or that I or any believer will suffer has anything to do with "completig" the purpose of Christ's suffering. . . I do understand and acept the fact the fact that we suffer we are disciples of Christ - because we are actively involved in proclaiming the Gospel and living a life that is consistent with what we believe. . .

As stated above, I feel that whatever I suffer as a result of living a life consistent with what is required by Christ and proclaiming the truth is benefitial to the Church as a whole. . .

B)

q1. How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Paul's suffering and perhaps we will also go through the suffering that christ. We might go through persecution specially from our close family, relative and friend. All this suffering only for a while but in the return the reward is eternal life wih Christ."Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." (2 Timothy 2:10). We also know that when we suffering Jesus also same with us that written in:"We are ... heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17-18)"

q2. Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross?Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense?

no. It referring the to the work that we need to do. The refeering is about persecution, challenging and etc.

q3. If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

As for me, i suffering for Christ of value to the church is persecution from my own blood and fresh family and relative. plus, my secular word and serving. i believe God is in control.

q1. How could Paul's sufferings in prison complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions?

Paul's suffering and perhaps we will also go through the suffering that christ. We might go through persecution specially from our close family, relative and friend. All this suffering only for a while but in the return the reward is eternal life wih Christ."Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." (2 Timothy 2:10). We also know that when we suffering Jesus also same with us that written in:"We are ... heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17-18)"

q2. Is Paul referring to Christ's sufferings on the cross?Or is he seeing suffering in some kind of cosmic sense?

no. It referring the to the work that we need to do. The refeering is about persecution, challenging and etc.

q3. If so, in what sense are your sufferings for Christ of value to the church?

As for me, i suffering for Christ of value to the church is persecution from my own blood and fresh family and relative. plus, my secular word and serving. i believe God is in control.