JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. All Treasures of Wisdom and Knowledge

Pastor Ralph

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I like this image of Christ as a treasure box! These two verses identify 2 treasures that are hidden in Him. Wisdom and knowledge are available to every person in whom the Spirit of Christ dwells. There's no special privilege in this - it is for all who come to Him. He is the only source of these 2 treasures.

Here is a reverse of Pastor Ralph's great analysis of Paul's motive in verses 2-3 in his prayerful battle for the Church. In order to fully know Christ and gain His wisdom and knowledge, we need to grow in our understanding of who He really is. In order to reach this deep understanding of Christ, we need the foundational encouraging hope of glory and the unity of love in His Body. Paul is again pressing the truth that the only hope of glory is Christ in us, and reminding us that we're unified as His Body under His loving headship. We certainly have profound responsibility to each other for each believer's search to know Christ and His hidden treasures.

Those treasures exist in Christ. As we grow deeper in our knowlege of Him, He reveals them to us--His wisdom--His knowlege--such jewels!! You have to work hard to excavate them--Dig into His Word, fall at His feet, and pray. He really wants to give us His wisdom--just ask. James 1:5.

No design for salvation or divine knowledge from any other source can ever equal the Gospel plan. Only God's wisdom could divise and accomplish its perfect result. "All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" are "wrapped up in" God's plan for salvation in Jesus Christ.

Q4. (Colossians 2:2-3) In what sense are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" hidden in Christ? What does that mean?

This is because it is Christ who revealed that wisdom to mankind that was hidden from long time. Therefore there is a fullness of wisdom in him, as he has perfectly revealed the will of God to mankind.

Q4. (Colossians 2:2-3) In what sense are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" hidden in Christ? What does that mean?

In Jesus, we can find all wisdom and knowledge. It is available to everyone. It is not a secret that only a few privileged can have. Anyone that accepts Jesus' blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of their sins can start on a journey to get to know Jesus. It is a day-by-day process. We can never quit learning about Jesus. His wisdom and ways are beyond understand in the human flesh. We need the Holy Spirit to quicken the Word of God to us and to assist us in hearing what the Spirit speaks to us. The Spirit will lead us into all Truth. This truth will always agree with the Word of God. As we study the Word and spend time in prayer and listening to the Spirit speak, we become more intimately aquainted with Jesus. He literally becomes our Best Friend. We find we can't survive a day without His wisdom and strength.

I also liked this topic because it describes how a healthy church body functions. The Body should be "encouraging" and "united." I have personally found this to be very true. This is how we will grow. We MUST have the preaching, admonishing and teaching, but we also need the fellowship, love and encouragement to live for Jesus.

I also liked this topic because it describes how a healthy church body functions. The Body should be "encouraging" and "united." I have personally found this to be very true. This is how we will grow. We MUST have the preaching, admonishing and teaching, but we also need the fellowship, love and encouragement to live for Jesus.

AMEN! I really like this. We need each other in the body - the church.smile.gif

"For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 NIV)

AMEN! I really like this. We need each other in the body - the church.smile.gif

"For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 NIV)

Thanks, Rod. I am really not "feeling the love" in my church body right now. It is very discouraging. sad.gif

All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ because Christ is the treasure! When you believe on Jesus and receive the Holy Spirit then our eyes are opened to all truth in Him. Everyone has the opportunity....everyone can have spiritual wisdom and understanding because we are in Him.

When I start to strive in anything...trying to figure it out....accomplish it on my own....I remember to "Seek first the Kingdom of God and all His righteousness and then all things will be added to you." It's going back to find that single treasure that is worth more than anything else we can ever have....and finding the wisdom and understanding right there! Those AhHa! moments.

He is our best friend....our everything..... completely faithful.... and reveals truth in all things....and He's just waiting for the smallest whisper from us to ask, to seek, to understand or find comfort in Him.

Praise GOD , Let us Thank HIM for giving us HIS WORD , in which all Truth , Knowledge , Wisdom are concealed . JESUS CHRIST is that WORD who became flesh . When we are Born Again , then we can begin to understand this. The Truth that is revealed about GODS'plan to redeem mankind is worth much more than all riches. The answer to every question is in the Bible and it is revealed to those who believe . Our Bible is the only material thing that we own that is of any real value. JESUS tells us " Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but MY WORDS shall never pass away " Thank GOD for HIS promises.

Q4. (Colossians 2:2-3)

In what sense are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" hidden in Christ?

What does that mean?

God has revealed in Christ, all that we need to know, to establish a relationship with God. Meaning that we need only to study God

Q4. (Colossians 2:2-3) In what sense are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" hidden in Christ?

I believe Paul is reiterating that Jesus is Deity, creator God, the fount of all there is to know about all there is to know! He IS wisdom itself, as Proverbs 2:2-3 says: Turn your ear to godly Wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for insight and and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek Wisdom as for silver and search for skillful and godly Wisdom as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of our omniscient God." (Wisdom is capitalized acknowledging that the Wisdom is God.)

What does that mean?

I believe Paul is still talking about Christ in us, the Hope of glory.....That He is the exact likeness of the unseen God (The visible representation of the invisible); He is the Firstborn of all creation. For it was in Him (Christ) that all things were created, in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen, whether thrones, dominions, rulers, or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him and in and for Him." Amplified Col 1:15,16

In 37 years of walking with the Lord, I'm still stunned when I stop to think that the Spirit of the Living God is housed in my "shell"...that I am the temple of the Holy Spirit, and that all Wisdom is available to me, simply by asking! That He is Knowledge and He will share with me! That His power is available to flow through me, as He wills it to be. His nature is in me, to be cultivated as I deny my will for His....so hard to really wrap my arms around the fullness of what that means!!!

Just before we lost everything in the 1990 recession, He spoke to my heart "I will show you the treasures hidden in darkness"..... during the long wilderness, I learned first hand that He is the treasure hidden in me! And to value Him above all else.

"We possess this precious treasure (box) in frail, human, vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding greatness of the power may be shown to be from God and not from ourselves."

We are each displays of His Splendor!!!! A mazing. How can we ever feel insignificant?

Q4. (Colossians 2:2-3) In what sense are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" hidden in Christ?

All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge hidden in Christ are in our knowing “It pleased God to have his full being live in his Son.”

What does that mean?

It means we must demolish all arguments that raise itself up against the knowledge of God; therefore we are to take every thought captive and make it obey the Messiah.

One of the greatest struggles for Paul was the false teaching of Gnosticism, the doctrine of certain early Christian sects that valued spiritual truth of mans wisdom, mans philosophy, teaching God’s wisdom is above faith and considered salvation attainable only by the few whose faith enabled them to transcend matter, it was for only those few who have the knowledge, who have wisdom.

The early Christians of whom Paul is addressing came out of pagan heretical pre- Gnostic philosophy which was in contrast to the Jewish traditions and the scriptures God had given to the Jewish people and now to the Gentile believers in the Messiah. Paul’s struggle in his heart was that the “true” believers in the Messiah stay in “faith” understanding fully, the wisdom of knowing God is through the Messiah, it is the wisdom we treasure.”

Christ is not only unique but He is supreme. . . God's will, purpose, and plan for all of humanity is fulfilled in Christ - so by "NOT" knowing Him - knowing Him intimately - we have "NO" way of knowing Gd's will, purpose, and plan for us. . .

What this means is that we need to come into an intimate, active and progressive relationship with Christ. . .

B)

When we are humbled before our Lord, then, we can receive the blessings of deep relationship. This deep intimacy with the Master allows HIM to reveal to us all knowledge and wisdom. Our human brain can not comprehend all of HIS knowledge or wisdom, but with the Holy Spirit leading us through HIS Word, we can gain more of HIS perspectives and apply them to this earthly relm.

Knowledge of the truth, wisdom to apply it in secular life, and the strength and hope that comes with humble dependence on the Master's rock of salvation is the treasure of life in this world; not just for the saints, but also for those who observe/receive the servant's obediance as blessings.