JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Legalism and the Sinful Nature

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legalism and asceticism are works of the flesh. (I had to look into "asceticism"…the practices of severe self-denial and rigid austerity.) They are based on truths that are "doctored" with added teachings and practices devised according to human thought and understanding. They are a foundation of self-made religions and religious practices. They decree parameters and force altered behaviors, but have no ability or power to change a person from within, which is where true restraint of our actual nature of sin occurs. Works/endeavors of the flesh are of no value or use in the spiritual realm.

Paul describes the alternative to legalism as a personal relational connection to Christ Himself. We, the Body, are united to Him, the Head (vs.19a). He is the One who spiritually nourishes us, maintains us, and grows us (vs.19b). In Him, we're dead to the world and its transient regulations (vs.20). We are to cling to Him, not an empty set of rules and regulations that will perish. The Spirit will use the written Word of God to guide, chastise, convict, and encourage us from within - and this will restrain the sinful nature of our flesh.

Q4. (Colossians 2:20-23) Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful nature? What alternative to legalism does Paul offer in Colossians 2?

The law only makes us realize we're sinners.

It can't stop us from sinning.

We have to do that ourselves with the help of the Spirit.

Ascetism is not human.

Jesus told us to love and to take care.

If we move to Mokerhei, we can't love and take care.

The alternative offered is Christ.

We only have to believe Him and accept His offer.

The law only makes us realize we're sinners.

It can't stop us from sinning.

We have to do that ourselves with the help of the Spirit.

Ascetism is not human.

Jesus told us to love and to take care.

If we move to Mokerhei, we can't love and take care.

The alternative offered is Christ.

We only have to believe Him and accept His offer.

Please excuse my ignorance of Dutch history,but for the benefit of those who may have not followed the "Mokerhei" reference,I'll recite what little, I think I might know, on the subject: Limburg (think of the cheese)established back around the time of Job,part of a rebellion against Roman rule at about the same time as the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem by the Romans,the Blijde Inkomste voluntarily limits the authority of Royalty (somewhere in the 15th century,but similar to England's Magna Carta,which established some measure of "rule of law" as opposed to "divine right" absolute monarchy,like Spain had at the time),the Spanish beseige Haarlem (I think Harlem,in NYC, is a namesake),William or Orange tries to relieve the pressure on Limberg and is defeated,so the people open the dykes,laying waste to their own land to drive the invader (Spanish) away...how I see this as part of the lesson: like the "spiritual circumcision" Paul speaks of,we sometimes must give up even that which feeds and sustains us, to be purified from that which seeks to contaminate the Truth,and reestablish some "rule of falsehood"...did I miss your point ?

Q4. (Colossians 2:20-23) Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful nature? What alternative to legalism does Paul offer in Colossians 2?

Legalism and asceticism are themselves of the sinful nature."How can Satan cast himself out ?".The choice,is to either accept God's help in the person of Jesus Christ,or fall, and have no help whatsoever.

This is how I see this:I am a child of God, and as such, I am free from all the traditions of men that are upheld in church. I want to worship God in spirit and truth. The only way I can do that is study the word of god, and know what it says, and then put it in to practice. Let no one steal my faith and conviction-I am forever a child of God. I have been redeemed by the blood of the lamb.

I have been told that I can not attend church in certain places, because I don't dress a certain way, or wear my hair a certain way, or other such rules and regulations. These pastors that practice these rules, and force them on others, will have to answer. I can say with all honesty-God tells me when I am wrong! I get spanked! That is how I know that I am wrong. That is how I roll.

It is because we cannot reach up to God by following rules of self-denial, by observing rituals, or by practicing religion. This is to mean keeping laws or rules will not earn salvation.

Good News is that God reaches down to human beings, and he asks for our response. Man-made religions focus on human effort; Christianity focuses on Christ

Q4. (Colossians 2:20-23)

Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful nature?

What alternative to legalism does Paul offer in Colossians 2?

These practices all create an appearance of wisdom, but in reality they adopt a form of worship according to their own ideas of what is right, rather than according to God's word. They seem to be religious but in reality they are not true Christianity. Another false belief is that through self-denial or self-torture, we can achieve a higher state of holiness; we see this in Hinduism and other mystical religions of the East. These practices have no value at all. Every false system utterly fails to make us any better, they create the impression that there is something we can do to merit God's favour, but we know it is all about God

Following a set of rules and regulations does not restrain the sinful nature because doing so does not change the heart. Legalism and asceticism might look good to others and feel good to yourself (false pride/humility) but they will never bring about freedom from sin. Paul offers a relationship with Christ and a completeness in Him.

Q4. (Colossians 2:20-23) Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful nature?

Christ is the one who makes sense out of faith

Because legalism and asceticism for show are only rules for the flesh; they do not transform us in our spiritual being. The real transformer is Christ, who circumcised our sinful flesh and created us anew. Only by "[continuing] to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as [we] were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness" can we truly learn and grow.

Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful nature?

They are pratices of the human being, to keep a rule, follow what an ancient beleiver di, perhpas even something to puff up our opinion of self. Only the full relationshiop with Christ Jesus can help us with our sin nature, He is the full and complete answer.

Paul offers what Jesus did....the price has been fully paid on the cross...to fast, to avoid food groups, to pray at certain times can be good for our discipline but in NO WAY do they save us. Only Christ does...no matter how many rules I follow, how good I am....I have only salavation through my redeemer.

Q4. (Colossians 2:20-23) Why are legalism and asceticism unable to restrain the sinful fallen nature?

The only life giving, life changing Source is our holy Lord. Legalism and asceticism reveal the fallen state or our sinful nature but can do nothing to altar or restrain it. If one follows after these, though some outward behavior may change, bondage is the end result. These indulge the flesh and lower nature but do not honor God.

Freedom in Christ! He urges us to remember that in Christ we are "dead" to sin and the flesh, but alive to our Head from Whom and in Whom we live and move and have our being, and to stop chasing after those philosophies and teachers who lure us away from life in the Spirit and the love of God Who has set us FREE.

When our enemy sees that he has lost us to Christ, he then spends his energy on trying to enslave us once again to whatever "chains" we will permit.

Flesh and spirit are the keys to this question. Legalism and asceticism can not keep it up it is Jesus that is the only alternative.

Because it is disconnected from the head,(Christ). Kinda like self exaltation. That we would have a relationship with the Savior, and in that we are changed!!!!!!

To follow a religion based on mans laws does not make for salvation. The various religions are of man and unless tehy are devoted strictly to the teachings of Jesus and salvation through Jesus they have no basis. It is amazing throughout history how many Christian religions have surfaced by the interpretation of a man and his followers. What is the true Church? If a Church teaches rules and regulations based on a leaders interpretation it takes away from salvation through Jesus christ. How are we to know the real Church today or are we as gullible and afraid as the Christians of Colossians?

Can someone tell me why my postings do not include buttons under the avatar pix to "PM this member" and "add as friend." I must have shut something off in the profile or settings but I can't figure out what I did.

Please forgive me for posting this here but it's driving me buggy, sad.gif Thanks!

I think I figured it out and now I can't remove this post. Sorry!ohmy.gif

Edited by RodR

Asceticism & legalism walk hand in hand with religion--a do it yourself churchianity. It's all dependent on what you do, how you feel. Our human nature really takes over. A relationship with God is very different. We can praise Him and come to Him like coming to a Father. We realize that we cannot do anything apart from Him. He, alone can change our hearts. Worshipping anything or anyone other than God is useless.

The alternative is worshipping God with our whole lives. Look to God for answers. Above all, keep your connection with our Head, Jesus Christ. Allow Him to grow you!!

Legalism and asecticism are based on human commands and teachings that have no inmate connection with the Head, Christ, who gives life. The alternative to legalism is the personal connection to Jesus, through him only the growth will come by means of nourishment from him.

Legalism and trying to be strong and without sin is a useless activity. Both are sin and unability to follow when it takes only Grace, love, and forgiveness with a strong faith and belief in Jesus Christ. There is no other way. Paul states the disarming of evil spiritual Powers by disarming the spoiled fools with triumphing and leading the triumphant procession over them to the cross with a living Christ at our side.

Legalism and asceticism are both man made. One is following rules, another is bringing self into submission. As humans....we can't and we aren't going to "earn" anything these ways nor do they make us "good." They cause strife and oppression and failure. They promote treating our bodies harshly to earn favor or bring them into submission. They promote false humility and arrogance in religious circles because there are always some people fooled into this way and who, not seeing their own sinfulness, drive others to try to be something they will fail at repeatedly and all at the same time, blinded to their own failures and sin. In many cases, even acceptance into who's who among any church people, is hinged on playing the legal game....either "looking" like a person succeeds in earning merit or worse yet, a person can be excused from perfection if they have enough other things to offer. Money, power, position, knowledge etc. They cause depression, darkness and futile living.

Paul though, teaches truth and light. We have fullness in Christ who is the head over every power and authority. We have eternal victory through Him. This is our faith and we don't need to be entangled in the world systems. We abide in Christ now and every battle belongs to Him. He will bring to submission and disarm and make a public spectacle of everything evil, triumphing over them by the power of the cross. The world wants you to see reality as getting for ourselves. Power in ourselves. Promoting ourselves. Being the best....the winner. Harsh treatment of self and others. Gaining through severity and compromise. In God's Kingdom....it's the opposite....but the gain in character is SO much better! And.....to be able to lean on the everlasting arms is sublime! We may suffer in not conforming to worldly standards for a time....but the eternal rewards are priceless! To abide in Him is the real treasure! He REALLY sets us free and we will be free indeed!

Because legalism and asceticism are man-made rules that do not change our heart and spirit. They are rules in the physical world. We often follow rituals and traditions, more out of respect, fear, ignorance and bondage rather than an acceptance in our heart. But as long as these legalistic practices do not draw us closer to Christ, it will not be able to transform us spiritually and which in turns does not have any lasting impact. Paul offers the Lord Jesus Christ - we are complete in Him. Praise the Lord!