JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Conversations with Non-Christians

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being

In dealing with people outside the faith, Paul instructs us to:

vs.5 -- Walk in wisdom.

Don't waste opportunities.

vs.6 -- Always let our speech be gracious, respectful, and appealing, not being harsh or argumentative.

ESV translates vs.6b this way: …
so that you may know how you ought to answer each person
. I think Paul was also implying that in being gracious, you won't lose your head or get into an argument that muddles your thoughts and ties your tongue. We want to be courteous, wise, and clear-headed -- and we aren't to judge or debate people.

I think we let opportunities slip by when we don't think we're prepared to handle it or we're fearful of "doing it wrong". Or we take rejection personally. Or we don't want to invest the time. Or we're so focused on self that we don't even realize the opportunity is there. Or worse, we don't really accept the Truth ourselves. If our hearts are governed by the Law of Love for God and others, I think it will help us see people simply as individuals who bear the crushing burden of their sins alone and desperately need the merciful grace of the Father. That should give us more compassion and courage to seek opportunities to share the gospel with a humble and gracious spirit. And as we are filled with God's grace toward us, we will overflow with more of that quality to others.

"Wisdom","full of grace","seasoned with salt"...How would we get these ?...Ask !

There have been times,where I've hesitated to reveal what I've believed to be relevant truths from scripture, that could be useful, to a situation, for fear, that those who appear to be in opposition, to the Word of God, might be given further opportunity, to sin,reject God's message,or even,pave to road to destruction, for the uncommitted followers within hearing,but, "all will hear"...They may react negatively,only to be lead, on a path of revelation, that ultimately turns them,and those who are in observance."The Word of God does not return void"...I can only pray, that He gives me the words, He chooses, to be spoken, or the silence, to allow the person, He chooses, to speak, as His will dictates.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

Paul is instructing us that we should be wise in our contacts with non-Christians, making the most of our opportunities to tell them the Good News of salvation.

We sometimes let opportunity slip by because we thing the time is not yet and also we fear what others will say about us,

When we tell others about Christ, it is important always to be gracious in what we say. No matter how much sense the message makes, we lose our effectiveness if we are not courteous. Just as we like to be respected, we must respect others if we want them to listen to what we have to say.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being

Make the most of every opportunity.

Sometimes we don't see the opportunity, or we are to busy to stop & take time with those persons.

This is the hardest part for me. All the knowledge is wonderful & a big help, but our attitudes and how we come across can close up an open person. I pray that His love will overflow in & through me to others.....

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6)

What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers?

Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by?

How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

Paul warns us to be extra careful about our every day behaviour. Unbelievers always look carefully at us; hoping to catch us out and accuse us of being hypocrites. It has been well said,

We should always pray for the words to speak unto the people we are trying to reach with the gospel. If the LORD is ready to move them , HE will. If not , we can never save anyone ourselves.Praise the LORD for opening my eyes to the Truth.

:unsure:Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers?

Paul had asked we pray that doors be opened, so therefore we are to be prepared, be alert to those times when God does open doors for us, taking full advantage, willing to redeem those times to share our faith with those outside the door, the non-believers.

1.We are to “walk the talk,” our conduct should be one of integrity, displaying to outsiders, we are living the “love” that is in us, true “spiritual wisdom” - we are ready to redeem the times God opens doors to us.

2. As we walk in God’s wisdom our speech should be a reflection of the Messiah who lives in us, God's graciousness, God’s divine influence upon our hearts is to be reflected in our life, displaying a life of joy, pleasure, thankfulness to those outside the door.

3. We are to be prepared with our speech seasoned with “salt”- “Prudence” using good judgment, good common sense, being careful about our conduct, so that we will be prepared to share the “good news” with others.

Could it be because we are not living the talk, not walking the walk, that our life does not reveal the joy of God’s laws being written on our hearts, as God promised He would do?

Our obedience to God’s laws will reflect to those outside the door what true joy of salvation is all about, it will reveal God’s wisdom, the fruit of the Spirit, a life seasoned with “salt” revealing true joy and pleasure is in knowing the Messiah.

How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

We are called to reflect Christ who is living in us, and a conversation “full of grace” will reflect who we are, representing the Messiah very well.

The instruction Paul gives for sharing our faith with non-believers are to make the most of every opportunity and to let our conversation be full of grace.

Sometimes we let chances to witness slip by because our minds are on other things. Often we fail to share our faith because we fear rejection or criticism.

Having our conversation "full of grace" will help us represent Christ well by helping us share the gospel in a loving and caring way.

We are to share our faith with everyone in God's wisdom, acting as we should, making the most of every opportunity. We are to speak with graciousness and we are to speak the truth. If we speak the truth....we will know how to answer everyone because it's all about the truth!

We let opportunities slip by for many reasons. We are afraid. We fear not being received. We don't feel equipped to answer any questions. We are not bold in our faith. Actually this all reflects that our own faith is weak. If we believed by the Holy Spirit (who does it all anyway) we can handle any situation, we will be confident to break the ice with anyone and we will step out of our comfort zone and move forward in the Spirit! I was once asked to take a stranger into my home and I knew God was asking me to do it! He didn't stop letting me know until I said yes! That idea was SO foreign to me at that time I might as well went bungee jumping! (NOT!)I did it though....and I saw amazing circumstances develop by the Holy Spirit opening doors of opportunity to witness to this individual. I could never have orchestrated what I saw happen! This individual was so amazed (it was amazement together!) he accepted Christ and was baptized! No one but God did all that....I just offered my home, love, truthful conversation and what little I had and God took it from there. Amazing!

We need to step out in faith! WE are strengthened and blessed as well as those we talk to.

What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers?

Paul lets us know that we need to be wise and loving. The way we act can either make a person hingry for what we have or make them say NEVER.....we must not beat people up.

At times we miss opportunites becasue to be truthful, we are afraid, either of rejection or scared that our love of Jesus may be rejected.

How will our conversation being

To take advantage of every opportunity made available by being stern enough to get the attention of those we are witnessing to but gentle enough to draw them to Christ and not push them away. . .

We allow opportunities to slip by when we are ill-prepared, doubtful of our affect, fearful of supposed consequences, or possible ashamed of the Gospel. . .

Our testimony or conversation being "full of grace" helps in our representation of Christ in that it makes the Gospel attractive resulting in a favorable response. . .

B)

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? To take every opportunity presented to us to share our faith graciously and lovingly

Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? Many reasons, but it all centres around a reluctance to stand out from the crowd, but we must remember that by becoming a Christian although we are still among the crowd, we are not a part of it

How will our conversation being full of grace help us represent Christ well? It will be loving, caring, humble, not condescending or pushy or negative, in other words, a reflection of Christ

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? To take every opportunity presented to us to share our faith graciously and lovingly

Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? Many reasons, but it all centres around a reluctance to stand out from the crowd, but we must remember that by becoming a Christian although we are still among the crowd, we are not a part of it

How will our conversation being full of grace help us represent Christ well? It will be loving, caring, humble, not condescending or pushy or negative, in other words, a reflection of Christ

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

Actions always speak louder than words. Our behavior around non-believers demonstrates what we really believe. Paul reminds us that we need to be alert for the "open doors" we prayed for and be ready to proclaim the Message boldly and clearly when given the opportunity. Conversations "full of grace" will attract more than those filled with condemnation or pride.