JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Charge to Archippus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm imagining Archippus as a young pastor in the Colossian church who needed encouragement to remain steadfast and devoted to "the ministry that you have received in the Lord." Maybe Archippus was struggling with responsibilities of leadership, or dealing with pressures from family, or suffering satanic attacks on his physical health, or confronting false doctrine/ opposition among the believers, or battling some kind of personal fears, discouragement, or self-doubt. Perhaps Paul was challenging the congregation of this church body to wise up and build up Archippus in the ministry, just as he would later personally mentor and encourage the young pastor Timothy. This would imply their own individual responsibility as fellow members of the Body of Christ.

When we receive and accept directions for ministry in/for the Lord, we will face distractions and roadblocks. It will stir up our Enemy's desire to steal, kill, and destroy. We need each other in the Body for encouragement not to let obstacles keep us from obeying our call and to persist in standing firm and true. I know I've experienced much discouragement from other believers at times, along with personal fears and self-doubts, when I've sought to live out what I knew the Lord was leading me to do. God has taught me about His own faithfulness, but His intent is that the Body build itself up for the one goal of His glory. Immature, self-focused, worldly, prideful, obstinate Christians are definitely a hindrance to that. Along the way, I've also learned that I must be more sensitive and deliberate in being that same encouragement to others.

Interesting,...Paul does not say " ARCHIPPUS : see to it that you finish your work !",but rather asks the recipients of his letter,the entire church,the "Tell Archippus...".I get the impression that Archippus may have needed encouragement,or even to feel that his work was important to the people in the church.I have a friend,who has good ideas,is more than willing to serve,and is so anxious to become involved and offer his abilities and efforts that he often drives other church members away from himself with his zeal.He asks me to give him introductions and references to those within the body of Christ who are charged with responsibility for tasks and services where he feels he can do the most good.Capable people,with established methods and systems of accomplishing their objectives often resist the inclusion of a free thinking zealot so they can continue with "business as usual".Paul may be doing the same thing here:asking the church to receive these people,and their enthusiasm,as they would himself.

Q4. (Colossians 4:17) Why do you think Archippus was singled out in verse 17? If you could invent a story of his role in the Colossian church, how would you describe Archippus? In what ways does he remind you of yourself?

I think that, speaking of myself as an example, there are some who know what it is that they are suppose to be doing, but they don't for whatever reason. Or, they are hit and miss-a little here-a little there.

I don't go to church, and this is a sore spot with me, because I know I should go, but I can't find a church that preaches the truth. Or I get a church that puts on entertainment to get people in. I don't go for "Saturday Night Live"-I go for the truth being preached. So I have to find ways to serve God Without going to church. I don't endorse not going, however. I miss fellowship badly!

Perhaps Paul singled out Archippus just to remind us that the church is made up of common ordinary people who need to be willing to step up and do what needs to be done for the sake of the kingdom. They must be willing to obediently do what God wants them to do even if it involves facing adversities.

Q4. (Colossians 4:17) Why do you think Archippus was singled out in verse 17? If you could invent a story of his role in the Colossian church, how would you describe Archippus? In what ways does he remind you of yourself?

Archippus was singles out in this verse because it has a lesson to us, in this verse Paul encouraged Archippus to make sure that he carried out the work he had received in the Lord. There are many ways for us to leave our work unfinished. We can easily get sidetracked morally, we can become exhausted and stop, we can get mad and quit, or we can let it slide and leave it up to others. We should see to it that we finish God

Archippus was a leader.

Sometimes we start something and after a while we give up.

Then it's not new/exciting/... anymore or it becomes to dangerous.

Paul takes Archippus as an example for he was a leader and because he knew his weaknesses.

I think he may have had a need for encouragement & to keep on track and not become discouraged. We may get tired in serving, we all need encouragement to complete our missions.

He may have been an elder or deacon......All serving Christ need encouragement from each one of us.

Q4. (Colossians 4:17) Why do you think Archippus was singled out in verse 17?

With all the martyrdom and persecution going on at this time, and with many believers falling away, I believe Paul singled him out because he knew Archippus needed to be reminded, he had the Lord

Q4. (Colossians 4:17)

Why do you think Archippus was singled out in verse 17?

If you could invent a story of his role in the Colossian church, how would you describe Archippus?

In what ways does he remind you of yourself?

Archippus was singled out because he had to perform a vital task in the Colossian church. Epaphras, who started the Colossian church is with Paul in Rome. Archippus has been given the task of being the interim preacher/leader. He is like Timothy still a young man, and inexperienced. So Paul is encouraging him to attend to the ministry he has been given. At the same time asking the congregation to support and be helpful towards him. Paul mentions that the task Archippus has to perform was given to him by the Lord, and he has to perform and complete it with the strength given by the Lord. I note that each one of us has been given some service to do for the Lord, and one day we will be required to give an account of what we have done with it.

Archippus is also mentioned in Philemon as a "fellow soldier" so he is probably part of the leadership of the church. If so, Paul is asking the "holy and faithful brothers" (ie: members of the body), to encourage and challenge Archippus to finish the work he has been called to do. Those of us who are older or who have been serving for a longer time need to be encouraged and challenged to "keep on keeping on." It's a temptation to believe you are no longer needed or wanted. There's no retirement plan in God's service. We all have a responsibility to "finish the work" we are called to do.

We do not know for sure whether this implies a degree of failure on the part of Archippus or is written only to indicate Paul

i think archippus was singled out in verse 17 because god obviously thought he would make a good minister, so god blessed him with a ministry to go out and preach to the people and to fulfill the ministry in which god had entrusted him with.

if i was to invent a story of his role in the colossian church, i would describe archippus as being good with words, a good speaker and lived for god. i think he would be holy and devout as most of the good ministers god chose then and still today, are. his role in the colossian church would be as a head minister teaching his congregation about god, jesus and the holy spirit and how believing and trusting in all three would lead us to eternal life.

ways in which archippus reminds me of myself are, the fact that he is human and probably makes mistakes as we all do, he tries to be faithful to god and tries hard to win people for the lord and probably as we all do, he more than likely has doubts that he can actually do the job well and feels someone else would be better suited to the job.

I think Paul was asking the church at Colossus to to build Archippus's confidence. He may have been young in the LORD and unsure of himself. It could have been a reminder that the LORD had given him the knowledge of JESUS CHRIST and he was to share it with all.He may have been having doubts, like we all do at times, but GOD is TRUE.

I think Archippus was singled out in vs. 17 as an encouragement and as a gentle admonition to continue in the work he had received to do in the Lord.

If I could invent a story of the role of Archippus in the church, I would see him as an ordinary man (We all are!) that had received specific instruction and leading from God for some work to do to accomplish God's will. I think Archippus was being obedient to God, but as he was obedient, he faced the challenges of his work, the wiles of Satan against his work and his human limitations to complete them. I would see him as becoming discouraged and maybe even a little depressed and lethargic in his passion to see it through. Perhaps he was discouraged that the "vision" he saw was not coming to fruition as he had imagined or there were so many setbacks, he wondered if he was really called at all! I think we all have been in those mind sets and failings! How wonderful though....to be reminded and singled out by Paul that he had indeed been given "the work in the Lord". How strengthening to be reminded by Paul to continue on. To have faith in completing the work given to him.

Sometimes just a few kind words from someone can make us rise from our beds of hopelessness and strengthen us to remember just who is behind the work! Renewed, we do go forth and we are also brought back to the realization of our own striving in what we have been doing and turn back to God for the strength to continue, knowing HE is doing the work through us. That's a huge burden to leave by the wayside and continue on in God's strength and grace for everyone involved and to be content in how HE is doing things!

I know I am most grateful when I receive a word of encouragement as I have so many times in this study. I am most grateful to be reminded of my grounding in the Lord too. And, what the truth of the Word says about who I am in the Lord. Just being able to participate in this study is an encouragement to continue in the work God has given me to do and has renewed and strengthened me in foundational truths as I continue on. I am most grateful to God by the power of the Holy Spirit that He is with us and leads us in the way we should go and connects us with the encouragements so vital to continue!

God bless and much praise to our most wonderful God!

I think, as a representation he describes us all - wanting to please God but easily discouraged and distracted. I think that Paul is sensitive to this.

Why do you think Archippus was singled out in verse 17?

I think he was singled out to make sure that he finished the ministry....this was a reminder for him to stay faithful to the task at hand.

If you could invent a story of his role in the Colossian church, how would you describe Archippus?

He was probably one of the church founders, perhaps he doanted the land or building where the church met....he was a leader and inspired the younger men to want to work for Jesus.

In what ways does he remind you of yourself?

I want to keep going on....no matter how bleak a circumstance may seem. It is so important that we keep serving the Lord...whether as a wife, mother....nieighbor, friend.

I think he was singled out as a means of encouragement - to help him to remain focused on calling and service to Christ - and to avoid the temptation to become complacent and to remain steadfast in the ministry of which he was assgned. . .

I would say he was serving in the Church but not up to his full potential. . . maybe he is some way felt intimidated and for fear of overshadowing others he did not fully apply all of his skills and talents. . .

How does he remind me of myself?

Having a really strong urge to step out in faith and do all those things that I am convinced God desires I do. Many times, to get these things done there are certain protocals that have to be followed [customs and traditions of the church] - or evens the politics of the church [not having the right connections] - and because of this being somewhat reluctant to initiate the work for fear of challenging and embarassing those that should performing these services - or leading those that have the ability to get it

done. . .

Because of this I can understand why Paul was so insistent that his readers remained continuous in prayer for the Church. . .Understanding also that moving too quickly can shutdown the process altogether - where prayer and patience can open doors that can result in God's will being performed. . .

B)

Maybe he could be struggling with all the demands placed on him but his large congregation and Paul is exhorting him to hold on,be strong and stay on course. It is very important that you complete the work the Father has given you.It will be worth it all when you see him face to face. Must forget about self, it's all about Christ and who He is. I have no ability in myself,I and dependent on my Father. It is my job to be obedient to His call and its His job to bring about His desired results.

Archippus is found to be the key leader or elder in the Colossian Church. He was given the abilities of leader and inspired to preach, teach, and inspire the congregation to fullfill their roll and spread the message of salvation to the non-believers. He must hurry back to the Church and fulfill his God given roll to lead them forward and keep them a loving and cohesive group. His absence weakens the congregation.

At times I have also been blessed or burdened with the roll of being the chosen leader of a group. I take the responsibility serously and try to lead the group to fullfill their destiny and roll in society.

Q4 Archippus was singled out in verse 17 because as a leader in the church of Colossae

he was called for an exhortation and to see that he completes the work he has

received in the Lord.

Archippus , a fellow soldier of Paul is the restorer of the various ministries in

the church. He is also the evangelist who is called to rebuild and put in order

what the Colossians have side-tracked, to rebuild their commitment and faith back

to the church so that it can be placed in their proper order and to guide others

who are unattended to.

He reminds me of a time when I saw that the ministry I am involved in was becoming

lax and the people would serve the Lord at their own pleasure and fancies. There

are no commitment in their services and the fellowship with one another are just

casual. They are spiritually dead. So when the time comes for election I took

the initiative to volunteer and hold office as chairperson. With the help of the

parish priest I conducted formation sessions and retreats to uplift their

spiritual life and ends up with fellowship dinner at the end of their year.

Immediately they were transformed and the zeal for the Lord is charged onto them.

Praise the Lord.

Tell Archippus:

He was singled out because Paul felt, for whatever reason, that he was in need of some encouragement to continue the ministry which he had been called to in Church. Obvisously, he was some kind of leader in the Church and Paul is encouraging him to continue in the work which he is doing in that church. We all need encouragement to carry on in what we are doing. Sometimes a particualr difficulty associated with what we are doing throws us off course, sometimes just the simple passage of time can blunt our original zeal and purpose. This can be fired up again by just a few words of encouragement and I think that this is what Paul is doing here.

The bible tells us that Archippus was a leader in the church in Colossae. It is plausible that Archippus started out with zeal for the Lord and the gospel. He was intent on bring non-believers to Christ. He probably was also keen to feed his flock. However, it could be that somewhere along the way, Archippus lost his focus and wavered. His enthusiasm wavered, possibly from numerous rejections and persecutions. Often, we start out with gusto but wane as the days go by. Hence the bible tells us to start well but must also pray to God that we finish well. This means, as in Paul's exhortation to Archippus - see to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord. I think the critical thing is that we must not lose sight of God. Jesus needs to be the focus and centre of our lives, every day and every minute. If not, like Peter, having taken his eyes off the Lord, we will start to sink. Praise God.

Maybe he needed encouragement, or a fire lit under him again. Many times we are ignited by God's words and call on our lives and then the pressures and responsibilites of life get in the way. We need to be relit so to speak, to recharge our batteries so that we can move forward with what it is the Lord has called us to do. "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Amen