JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith without Repentance

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

True repentance is an essential part of adopting the Christian faith. In Acts, Peter's sermon "cut his hearers to the heart." When they asked him what they should do, he tells them to "repent and be baptized." (Acts 2:38). In other words, feeling sorry wasn't enough. The Greek term means a change of mind or heart. It is the change of determination or will, the resolve to turn away from sin toward God.

Paul describes the process in 2 Cor 7:9-11. He says that "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret." True repentance means the change of mind and heart brought about by godly sorrow for sin. Repentance always leads to a change of life.

Turning to Christ without first turning away from sin gives a false sense of security. No doubt Satan rejoices when we think we can be Christians without turning away from sin and changing our lifestyle. We avoid repentance because sin is a hard habit to break. To some extent, almost all Christians have unrepented sin. The good news is that it's never too late. We have the power of the Holy Spirit working through His Word to help "root" out our hidden sin. When He does, we only need to confess it to God and determine to rely fully on His strength to be overcomers.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins?

"Adopting the Christian faith" isn't the same thing as becoming a Christian. The initial repentance that precedes receiving Christ is only the beginning of a life of repentance. Repentance doesn't just happen once in a Christian's life but is an integral part of the walk of faith with Christ. I have to say that for myself, I have repented every day since I believed in Jesus Christ. Having the Holy Spirit makes repentance a necessity. I am overwhelmed with remorse even for the smallest of things. I pray daily that the Lord put a watch on my lips and I hide His Word in my heart so that I will not fall into sin.

Why do people avoid repentance?

I can only speak for myself. In my life there were things that I thought I could keep if I just rearranged them and made them look good. But in reality, there was little of the old me that was worth keeping. I avoided ridding myself of some things because I thought of them as parts of me that I could not live without. I did not consider those things sins. And perhaps it isn't so much an avoidance of repentance as much as it is ignorance of what sin really is. Until the Light of the Holy Spirit dwells within us, we don't really have any sense of our own sin. It is by His illumination that we become aware and able to be convicted.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

It's hard to say. But I suspect that there are more than just a few.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Many people think that since they are born in Christian family that is enough to earn them salvation. This is wrong assumption that was on John

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Many people think that since they are born in Christian family that is enough to earn them salvation. This is wrong assumption that was on John

When I first became a Christian, I literally did not know the meaning of the word repent. I looked it up in the dictionary. I feel repentance is a continuous part of our journey with the Lord. I must repent every day. For I was born to sin. Oftentimes, I ask God to reveal my sins. Many are heart changes needed. A lot of people don't realize that some sins are not the actual PHYSICAL act of sinning but many sins reside deep within in our heart. These are the sins we must ask God to reveal to us through the Holy Spirit. If as Christians, we do not repent, I feel it is because we have not truly grown enough in our Christian life to to repent, As Christians we must GROW in God each day. As I said when I accepted Jesus into my heart, I didn't know the meaning of repentance. I knew from my Pastors' teaching that is was a requirement of salvation, however, I was unable to wrap my mind around the word, REPENT. By growing in Christ and praying daily for him to grow my faith, I have learned what true repentance is. One of the main reason people avoid repentance is because they are ignorant to it's true meaning, they are afraid of what God may reveal to them if they ask him to reveal their sins. So, in fear they turn from repentance.They hang on to SELF and refuse to give everything to GOD. Pride is another reason people avoid repentance, they do not want to admit to themselves or to God that they have been born to a sinful life, and that their life and heart need to be changed so as to ready themselves for the kingdom of God.

I cannot say what percentage of Christians do not repent, this is for God to know. Only God knows if true repentance lies in the heart of his believers.

Perhaps some see 'faith' as something that we possess, as a means to access God. In a general sense, having a faith means having a belief or a religion. Having faith (not 'a' faith) means having a belief or trust in someone or SOMETHING. In the Christian sense, faith can only mena faith in God; trusting and believing God and worshioing Him on His terms.

When one does not repent, it is an indication to me that one has chosen to be selective about how they will worship God, making it a practice on their terms only. While we accept that it is OK to continue in a way that is not pleasing to God (NB: God has provided a way out of sin) we can't claim to have a very vibrant, vital relationship with God as our continued, unrepentant state of mind and attitude will hinder our communion with God. In a way, we would be playing to the Devil, allowing him a foothold in our lives. If we are not prepared to repent, we are not prepared to die with Christ (John 12).

Adopting the Christian faith without repenting of our known sins begins an immediate battle between our will and God's Will. The indwelling Spirit that we receive upon accepting Jesus as our Saviour will begin its work in convicting us of our wrong doing. As we mature in our faith, our realization of our need to put away old things becomes stronger as we commit more and more of ourselves to our new found love and devotion to Jesus. Avoiding repentence is childish willfullness that will slowly desolve as our trust in Jesus grows and we come to the awareness that He knows and wants what is best for us.

I think that most people who come to Christ want at first to be repentant but don't know how or just what is involved. They want to be a christian but still live as they have been living. They want to believe in Christ and nothing further. If they repent they would have to give up the things they do that they know is sinful and they would take them out of the world and they don't want that. They avoid repentance for just this reason. I have no idea what the percentage would be but guess it to be large. The heart is wicked the gospel says and a hardened heart is even worse.

"Adopting the Christian faith" isn't the same thing as becoming a Christian. The initial repentance that precedes receiving Christ is only the beginning of a life of repentance. Repentance doesn't just happen once in a Christian's life but is an integral part of the walk of faith with Christ.

Great point. You are correct. "His mercies are renewed every morning."

Rod

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins?

If people say they are Christians and do not repent they only put on an outward show of loving God....but inside they know they want to keep ding the old things....following the desires of the old self. This leads to alwasy living in guilt and self loathing.

Why do people avoid repentance?

People avoid repentence because they like their old ways, they do not want to give up themselves to follow Christ Jesus.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

The percentage of Christians that are not repentent is known only to God. Perhaps what I see as another believer is misleading and I would not want to judge them.

I think that a very high percentage of Christians today are unrepentatnt and unprepared in heart. Repentance is difficult for many Christians because while we are called to "in the world but not of the world", many are both "in the world and of the world". They feel that the Christian life is boring and uninteresting. The temptation of the world is strong and many succumb to it. They listen to the lies of the devil. Many are still living in the flesh and hence are guided by the flesh. 1 John 2: 16 says "For all that is in the world

I think I would make the distinction "people who think they've adopted the Christian faith." If we do not see ourselves as guilty of having broken God's Law and deserving of the punishment for that, we will not feel the proper gratitude for having been saved from the punishment. Without that "attitude of gratitude" many (perhaps most) will begin to fall away when the promised trials and adversity that go with being obedient to Christ come their way.

They want to have a relationship with Christ on their own terms rather than on His. In doing this, they are creating a false God, an idol, for themselves. They are making a God that is easier for them to get along with instead of agreeing with and obeying Christ. They are making a god in their own image.

I believe that Matthew 7:13-14 give us the answer to this question. This passage says: "Enter through the narrow gate ; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." I believe that the people on the two roads are all professing Christians and not everyone in the world (including all the unbelievers), as some people think. If we look at it in this way, we see that Jesus tells us that the majority of people who think they are saved aren't. in verses 21-23 of the same chapter Jesus says that not everyone who calls Him "Lord, Lord" will enter heaven. He says that many will be told to depart because He never knew them. This could translate to as many as 80-90%, which some studies indicate is the fall-away rate for new converts in the US.

As far as people "adopting the Christian faith" it has nothing to do with becoming a Christian. Several verses of scripture come to my mind at this point but the following one really hits home. Act 2:38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Having a sincere and Godly sorrow for ones sins, repenting of them, turning away from them, is necessary if we intend to walk with Christ. While walking in sin we walk in darkness and darkness and light have nothing in common. 2Co 6:14 Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness?

Why do people avoid repentance? Because with sin in their heart they love the darkness. If they truly repent it calls for a radical, dynamic change inwardly that will result in changes in their life styles. Several verses again come to mind but listen to 1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Faith without repentance is like the seed in the parable of the sower that was cast out and fell along the path and the birds came and ate it up..The words of truth were heard but had no heart for them and they are easily snatched away...for without turning from our evil ways and recognizing sin we cannot come to oneness with God through Christ Jesus. For without change, without action, we are just words, and it is through our actions that the world will follow us, and how we lead others to Christ. We avoid repentance because it allows us to see ourselves as the evil sinners we are. Repentance opens our eyes to the evil around us and once that is seen we must make a choice...be a follower of the flesh, or a follower of Christ. As a follower of Christ we must release our will to His, be yoked with Him and turn from those physical pleasures and desires that grant immediate pleasure, seeking what is true and pure through our Lords eyes for our lifes. I believe many who claim to be Christians are unrepentant, and unprepared in heart because they are misguided by churches that preach a gospel that is of there own making. They do not realize that repentance is not a one time act but a lifetime of turning oneself over daily to the will and power of our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus. It is a continual process of recognizing sin, asking for forgiveness, repenting, then changing from our evil way.

When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their sins they remain in their old ways and therfore will not please God. People avoid repentance because they still want to satisfy their lustful heart desires. A high percentage of Christians live in this way.

I think the most evident thing that happens when people adopt the Christian faith without true repentance is "NOTHING". The only change is that nothing now happens in different places. Nothing happens in church. Repentance is more than just quitting doing the things that are wrong; it is quitting doing the things that are wrong for the right reason. It is best explained in Isiah chapter 58 and I see the resemblance to the fast with what is happening in our churches today.

God says if we take our eyes off ourselves and look to the needs of others, ("Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?) then and only then will we be able to call out to the LORD and He will answer, "Here I am."

I think the price is too high for most people to be true Christians, especially here in America where we have so much. It seems like our faith is not in God but in the things God has so richly supplied for us. Jesus points to this in Mark chapter 10 (24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.")

A good example of this is the battle over health care reform. Thirty some million people unable to afford health care and we wage a war over it. I often wonder how much money has been spent to advertise lies and half truths to wage this battle. Is it not to share your food with the hungry and provide for others? And then when you call out to the LORD, He will answer, "Here I am."

And the answer to the last question, "What percentage?", is few.

Darrell

One cannot be a Christian without repenting. And repentance in an ongoing, daily thing. No matter how hard I try, I continue to repeat some sins. But the sadness in my soul turns me right back to God. Too many so called Christians think asking for forgiveness is all it takes, but I know I have to constantly work at it.

[/quote]

They will never have victory over those sins, unless they see sin as God sees their sin. Then they would have to admit they are sinners I go to fairs and festival and witness for the Lord, we see many people who profess Christ but they do not live for Him. They look and act just like the world, they really don't understand that they need to be Christ like all the time. They do not have a full grasp of repentance. I would say from my experience that at least 40% do not have a repent heart.

When people adopt the Chistian faith without repentance, it is a hollow act. The christian isn't really a christian at all. Firstly, the Holy Spirit isn't residing within. Matthew 3:8 (AMP)

8 Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart] If there is true repentance, it shows. The person who does not repent, or has no repentance will show the signs of being convicted of the Holy Spirit, but un-repentant, and miserable because of it. People do not like to repent because it causes shame in recognition that one is not perfect, makes mistakes and as the Bible says, Genesis 6:5 (AMP) 5 "The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination and intention of all human thinking was only evil continually." This is something no one likes to see in themselves. I believe the majority of Christians, at least 85% in a conservative estimate, are un-repentant. This, in my opinion, is largely due to not understanding the significance of a repentant heart, but also because they are unwilling to admit thier fault.

It seems when people become Christians without repentance, it causes a false sense of self-righteousness. Many times this leads to arrogance and judgement because, without repentance, the heart does not experience change. Many avoid repentance because they would have to change; change is difficult. Matter of fact, without guidance from the Holy Spirit and the bible, it is impossible for one's heart to change. I cannot estimate the percentage of Christians that are unrepentant, but I do know that there are too many times that I hear of people that claim to be Christians but, act in ways that are contrary to His teaching.

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repent of their known sins? According to Jewish understanding to the scriptures, each individual must do it, turn from their sins, yet it requires God

I really resonate with post #7 ('highohfaith').... the need to return to God, repent, everyday. I long for deeper relationship with the One who loves me more

than I really can appreciate. Asking God for help with heart-work invites the Spirit and

welcomes deeper relationship in my perspective, anyway. The ego somehow resists this work

(which can be painful) and we need God's help every day.