JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel? Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel? Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

1. Pride today may very well be the biggest downfall. Most believe they are good enough, even many of those I minister to in the prison believe their good works out-weigh the wrong they have done.

2. Regardless the cultural background man's heart is very evil and desperately wicked, and they themselves cannot even know it. Based upon this and personal deliverance I just be myself, and relate to them what God through the shed blood of Jesus has done for me. I show them love and concern and tell them the truth. "God has called you to 'repent', and if you answer His call He will teach you how to pray for repentance.

3. Anytime you tell someone to "Just say these words and you will be save" is a lie and watering down the truth. Jesus said; "Except you 'repent' ye shall all likewise perish" Luke 13"3,5.

4. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His message of salvation never changes. Stay with what was written. It is by the hearing of the Word that men are saved, not by the antics of men. That tension has always been there and is greatest in religious circles. Religion was the greatest problem Jesus faced when He preached.

Regarding our overall approach to sharing the gospel, the formality of the traditional church with its Sunday clothes, liturgical services, and “archaic” music are an off-putting stumbling block to many people.  (I do have to say that -1.- I treasure many old hymns of the church and -2.- I rarely sensed any freedom of the Spirit at work in growing up with that type of environment.)  Seeing the stark contrast of how the original early church was comprised of small groups in house churches, I believe there’s room for compromise with fresh ideas for presenting the message.  However, that can be quite tricky - and dangerous - without the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

We have many congregations that “do church” in varieties of ways today, from maintaining stoic rigid tradition in the sanctuary all the way to encouraging ultra-casual attire and offering breakfast muffins with coffee in the worship center while a band plays loud vapid dance music with a light show.  (I love contemporary Christian music, but there is a lot of empty lifeless stuff out there.)  I think there’s a fine line between making the message relevant to current culture and simply selling the church as a marketing endeavor.  The problem to me is when we make it all about “church” (the Body) instead of all about Christ.  There must be a balance of engaging culture and proclaiming truth.  Too many pastors/teachers today focus on a self-centered feel-good philosophy that ignores the reality of sin and its certain judgment apart from redemption through the bloody cross of Jesus.  No matter the method, the message must remain true and authentic.  That is the only source of spiritual wisdom and the power to save.

(1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? IGNORANCE, PREJUDICE, & VANITY

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? SPEAK TO THEM IN A LANGUAGE THEY UNDERSTAND WHEN SCRIPTURE APPLIES.

To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel?  NOT QUOTING SCRIPTURE DIRECTLY BUT PUTTING THINGS IN SCRIPTURAL CONTEXT.

Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message? 

TRUTH WILL STING REGARDLESS OF THE PACKAGE IT COMES IN.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

I think it is the teaching of religion where they belong like repent your sin to the leader of the church and presto you are already forgiven. Another is to do good things to other which will earn you credit on your way to heaven.

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

Let the Holy spirit lead you from the very beginning and entrust to Him the salvation of that person.

To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel?

When you used your own sweet words just to convince that person.

Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message? 

Tell what was exactly written in the bible...straightforward.

Q1. Name four value differences between Christian teaching and the values you see pushed to us on television. Example: Sex between consenting adults is okay, vs. sex belongs in marriage. Now name four more.

Other teachings pushed to us by world and echoed on electronic and print media are: 

1. Same sex marriage
  2. Abortion being legalised
  3. Dressing and hair style different from what the Bible preaches
  4. That Christians and other world religions are serving the same god.

Many stumble of the fact of that a virgin human woman, was impregnated by God's Holy  and gave birth to God's only begotten son. Who chose to died for our sins, and then rose on the third day. The only way that I know to help bridge that gap is praying for them that the Holy Spirit gives them wisdom and understanding regarding Christ our Lord's birth, death and resuresurrection. Like Paul said, "Christ is the power and wisdom of God". There is no watering down the plain truth of the gospel. The Holy Scriptures are God's Words plain and simple. Paul made a statement of truth in 1 Corinthians 1:25, "For the foolishness of God is wiser than mans wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength". You can't alter the truth. 

Some people believe the more knowledge they have of Jesus brings them to salvation through this given knowledge.  Their faith walk just hasn't taken that final turn to acceptance and openness on their part.  

We can help by introducing the scripture.  God will do the rest.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message? 

Many non- Christians do not understand and do not believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried and rose again for the salvation of mankind. The concept does not make sense to such people.

The Christians should continue to preach the Gospel undiluted but with wisdom of God through the Holy Spirit power, explain the message and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit to convict and convince.

Question 2.2

No doubt there are many ways in which modern non-christians stumble.  There are at least two categories of non-Christians.  There is (a) Those of other religions and Those who have fallen away from the faith.

Firstly, we will look at (a).  The major log in the way to the Lord for these is similar to those Greeks and Jews of Paul’s time.  The message of Jesus’ crucifixition and resurrection are a stumbling block for these.  The wisdom of the world will not allow these to accept the message of hope and joy of the Christian experience.

Secondly Those who have fallen away.  For some, of course, it is the same as (a) the wisdom of the scientific age has blocked their path to the light and their rigorous academic training in the scientific method has dulled their perception of the magical and supernatural characteristics of the Christian life.  They are unable to understand the symbolic relationship of being ‘in Christ’. The joy and pleasure involved in this relation is beyond anything that the world can understand.
Some deny God because they think that god is unjust.  But this is illogical.  For if we condemn God as being unjust then we are suggesting that we are more just than God.  We then ourselves are God but we are not god.  So we have a contradiction of facts so the statement God is unjust is false and hence God is just.
The problem of thinking God unjust springs from an un-understanding of the nature of God for his decisions are based upon his justice, his system of laws which we do not know and cannot comprehend.  God’s ways are higher than ours as the heavens are higher than the earth. (Isaiah 55.9)
A further problem is that the covenant promise of God is too good to be true and people are thus reluctant to believe anything which is too good to be true.  I just received a phone call that we had won a trip for two .  It was too good to be true so I hung up.  But God’s promise is valid for he promises my word that goes out of my mouth shall not return to me empty but it shall accomplish that which I purpose (Isaiah 55.11) God’s will, will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  The validity of the prayer is authenticated by Christ’s suffering and resurrection.
We must live in faith and joy and do so in such a way as it is obvious that we are holy - set apart for God.  If we do not show that we are joyful in our Christian life, than it will be hard to attract others to our faith.

Not at all, this is living our faith in joy.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

pride vs. humility
 Higher Power

immaculate conception
 Creation
 Forgiveness
 Salvation, gift of grace, given freely to those who believe
 Sovereignty ( Jesus Christ is the ONLY way ot the Father)
 eternal life, death and resurrection
 deity
 miracles

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

I don't know to what degree we can bridge the gap. That being said I think it is very important to teach the gospel through the Bible, the written word in context. I have attended a life teaching church which simply 'referred' ( mostly out of context) to the Bible and how we can apply the teaching to our own lives. I didn't realize until three years later that they were getting away from the basic  truths of the gospel in an attempt to bring our church into current times. I realized it when I attended a strictly Bible based teaching church. Which taught strictly from the "word" ( in context). it was then that I realized, my 'super hip ' church was deviating from basic gospel truths in their attempt to be current. While I do think it is important to remain relevant, current, I believe a church can do that through youth programs, music,etc. without deviating from the basic Bible truths. So, in conclusion, I would say it is important to find ways to become relevant without deviating from the basic gospel truths as found in the Bible. Whether your church teaches life lessons from the perspective of the bible, or is strictly a Bible teaching church.

King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

By not sticking to basic Bible truths in an attempt to be 'current'

Why can’t we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

Because everyone wants to hear something new.  "Hip". Current vs. ageless message. People want to be relevant. Up to date. What many don't realize is the message of the gospel is ageless, timeless.

Hebrews 13:8

New International Version (NIV)

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

1 Corinthians 1:21-25

Q). In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? 

A). Many non-Christians have problems believing things like the virgin birth, God in human form, Jesus being raised from the dead, and Jesus ascending into heaven.

#

Q). To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? 

A). I can help bridge this gap by telling the non-believer that I also have a difficult time accepting these things with my natural mind. And logical argument rarely suffices to convince the non-believer - or me. Then I tell them that I choose to walk by faith, not by sight. That's why I'm called a believer.

#

Q). To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel?

A). It omits the doctrines of repentenance and forgiveness. We are "watering down" the gospel when we simply tell people Jesus loves them and wants them to have an abundant life.

#

Q). Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

A). The tension comes from mixing a culturally relevant communication style with accurate biblical content. We must find culturally relevant equivalents and metaphors to declare the Gospel to our generation in terms they can understand without altering the essential message. But that is quite different than altering the essential message. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? “Most likely it is the misinterpretation of obeying rules as the gospel of Christ.”

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? “It would be helpful if we could avoid classifying people by their lifestyles and choices and leave the convicting of those choices to God. It’s the Holy Spirit’s work. Ours is proclaiming.”

To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? “Some will see it as that, however if we remind ourselves that growing in grace is a process instead of an event that God is responsible for and not us. After all we should  be reminded that Christ accepts us, warts and all, just as we are but will not leave us like that.”

Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?We are human and lazy and as long as we are in this world we will be tempted to have misguided efforts at proclamation that condemn and confront people from our sinful nature instead of our divine nature.”

I believe many stumble over the fact that they need to be saved! Our culture believes our good works are enough....if we're a "good person" (haven't murdered or done any of the "worst sins", we're on our way to Heaven. (That's what I thought until I heard a clear presentation of the Gospel). When we're not in Christ, it's hard to believe we're sinners for the Gospel is "an aroma of death" to the perishing. 2 Cor 2:16)

One's personal testimony (brief...3 or 4 minutes) of "how Jesus has changed my life" accompanied by several salvation scriptures, is very effective and a non-condemning, non judgmental, loving and friendly attitude is crucial, spoken in love and sincerity. 2 Cor 2:17b

I don't believe a clear presentation of one's experience in Him, accompanied by scripture,  is watering it down. It's honest, current, relevant and empowered by the Holy Spirit Who wants them to be saved more than we!  (It is the GOOD NEWS! It is God's power working unto salvation for deliverance from eternal death!)

The Gospel is "the aroma of death to unbelievers"...there's no escaping that fact. We have been sent to share the Good News with them, and in love, to introduce them to the One who died for them and is the lover of their souls....He is the One Who saves...not me.

The Lord shared this with me and I keep it in mind as I share Him with others:  The Father chose me before the foundation of the world was laid, and gave me to Jesus as His love gift. The Holy Spirit was sent to Woo and introduce me to Jesus. Jesus died for me, redeemed and cleansed me, then gave me to His Father as His love gift.     So all 3 Persons of our Triune God are involved in Salvation....we're to trust Him to empower our words as we share the gift we've been given...and are!

In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

- 1.  A savior who died.

- 2.  They do not need their sins forgiven.

- 3.  The meaning of true love has been changed.

- 4.  Too many restrictions.

- 5.  Their knowledge and wisdom is superior.

- By not trying to compete with their "wisdom" in knowledge, but using the simple gospel presentation of the love of God, in sending Jesus to pay the price for the sins of all people.  The world has no love or care for the individual, but we do!

To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel?

- Our words must not be fancy or scholarly, but words, given by the Word of God, to us to show how much Jesus loves them.

Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

- In some ways, in different cultures, we will need to use different examples and apply them in a way the these people can understand what the gospel is saying.  Most of the time, we will need to speak plainly (like Jesus was tortured and crucified on a cross for public display).

2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? Why can't we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

Non Christians often stumble over the world's idea of what is right and what is wrong.

Also what a Christian should be like and what a true Christian is. In the worlds eyes we must be weak pushovers where as we must humble ourselves before God, but act like kingdom and priests who show the world what is wrong, how to do it God's way and teach His Word.

We must teach the whole Word. not just the parts that the world wants to hear. Very often when you tell people walking in Christ ways means that you must overcome sin with the Power provided through the Holy Spirit people.gets very upset, yet we have to give the full message anyway. It is not my job to convince them (although that is our aim) it is my job to bring them the message. God will do the rest. Often we only plant the seed, the rest happens much later

Most non Christians I know, stumble over a real understanding of God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit to change their lives. They are reluctant to embrace Jesus because they view "changed lives" as being forced to give up things they enjoy and being judged in them. They look through eyes of condemnation and wrath as opposed to love and grace. They don't understand that when they embrace the true Gospel with God's grace and loving, good care, they will want to change whole heartedly!

We can bridge this gap by focusing more on love and forgiveness and allowing time for GOD to call them and do a good work in them. We can be in a non christian's life to walk beside them without batting them over the head with constant criticism. We need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading as to what He is doing in another's life and be a co-worker in those areas and always TRUTH with LOVE! When I first came to Christ, with loads of baggage and sin, I had (well meaning) Christians hitting me from all sides on the sin in my life and the changes I needed to make. They were quick to point them out and...when I failed to live perfectly. I became so confused and overwhelmed, I nearly gave up except that I clung to the cross by God's grace. I eventually learned to listen closely to what GOD was teaching me and to discern more carefully if what others were saying to me were of merit or timely for me. I found a good Christian mentor who simply walked with me in a Godly way, helping me move forward in the areas God was working on. He taught me the truth of the Word and encouraged me to live it yet gave grace when I failed encouraging me to try again. I overcame many addictions and bad habits this way. I'm forever grateful for the grace given to me by this kind mentor. He really did live the life of Christ before me and with me and I hope to always do the same so others can know the grace of God. God changes people....we don't. Hopefully, we love them! 

We may give over to watering down the Gospel if we leave truth out of loving. We have a responsibility to always speak truth. We have the responsibility to teach and preach the Word in wholeness because it is the Word that is going to wash Christians and non-Christians clean. We can't be so fearful of rejection that we don't tell the truth. We can't begin to think we are so important that it is up to us to save a person. We can't start to people please and lie to keep them near. Jesus saves and ultimately it is the choice of the hearer. It is heart breaking to lose anyone because of truth, but what have we really offered them if we didn't give them the truth? I try to look at the "ones that got away" as the ones I planted a seed in. Maybe they didn't embrace it fully right now but if the seed was planted....someone down the road will water and we all know who gives the increase!

The "tension" to me between culturally relevant communication and a pure Gospel message is the essence that one is of darkness and the other of light. When we "try" to blend them, there is a clash because light will always dispel darkness. We can't ever "escape" the tension because the two will never "blend." It isn't our responsibility to make the Gospel "user friendly" or "tolerant" or "multi-purpose". We have to remain in the truth! That doesn't mean we throw all the fruit of the Spirit aside when dealing with people, but we don't compromise truth and speaking the truth to be culturally pleasing.

They are ignorant and the god of this world has blinded their mind

By proclaiming the truth and their implications as it is.

Until they are saved

The message we bear contains the power that can set people free and open their eyes

They do not want to give up their sinning. They feel it's ok for you, but they don't need it.  Pride is a motivator.

Show them that we are all sinners--relay some of the 10 commandments & what Jesus added to them to show them their need for a savior. It is not watering down the gospel.  It's showing them their disease and then giving them the cure!

God's spirit and Word have power.  The Holy Spirit can prepare them to receive and understand the message.  If they do not desire to be saved, they have rejected Jesus--not you.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25) 

In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ? 

To what degree might that be "watering down" the gospel? 

I feel that unbelievers cannot get to grips with many areas of Christianity. They think the Cross is foolishness, but we know it saves. Our faith is also considered foolish because we believe in what we cannot see, but we say it is rather foolish not to believe. There is the virgin birth, God’s overall plan of salvation, bodily resurrection, and the list goes on and on. We see God’s wisdom shown mainly in the Cross of Jesus, but not everybody understands this. As Christians it is in the Cross that we have found the wisdom and power of God which has transformed our lives and made us new creatures. The gospel message may look like complete nonsense, foolishness, and even stupidity to unbelievers, and therefore it cannot always be received or understood by mere human ways, it needs the input of the Holy Spirit. Being the only absolute truth in the world today, it can never be ‘watered down’ or tampered with. I read once somewhere that God does not need us to defend Him – there are some things we cannot explain or understand this side of eternity.  

Q2. (1 Corinthians 1:21-25

In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ...

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation...

To what degree might that be watering down the gospel...

Why cant we escape the tension between culturally-relevant communication and change the essence of the message...

Non-Christians stumble over the basic gospel of Christ, in that they tend to explore other beliefs and waver which one helps them life a life of their choosing. Self will is very common in this area. As believers, we need to do our own research and find those areas most questioned. Comparison and presentation is one way to bridge this gap. One area of this is in native culture and there belief in animal spirits, and how they worship and give offerings. Question presented is who made the animals and whom made the earth. Yes we need to take care of what God has given, and honour the creator (God). I should not even feel nor think in anyway that we should be watering down the gospel. Presented as truth. 

We need to know our own belief and stand strong in faith. We should research what others are preaching and compare. Always pray through and seek wisdom and guidance from God. Allow God to present and bridge those gaps, without having to change the true meaning of the message. 

Non Christians stumble over the gospel of Christ for many reasons, for one they do not want to live the "religious life in exchange for their good fun life they are having now. Some people just don't believe at all. Some are afraid to believe. I know of no way to bridge the gap at this time except to use the present situation to explain the message of the cross. If we get off tract like some of the churches now days do, they use the message of prosperity to draw in the crowds. But I can find no scripture that promises monetary success in life, on the contrary, Christ and the apostles tell us we will suffer persecution for our belief in Christ. We can not escape this currant culture and it's influence because we live this world just as the apostles did in their time and just as the gospel was already being perverted then. The time has changed but not the situation.     

1.  The fact that Jesus was crucified.  They look at how could someone that had the power and could have triumph be seen as weak,

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel?

2.  Declare the gospel!  Find a way to get our generation to understand.

3.    We live in a world where any and everything goes.  There are few that follow Christ but we must continue to spread the Good News.  The message is a true message and has not changed

1.  The fact that Jesus was crucified.  They look at how could someone that had the power and could have triumph be seen as weak,

To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation? To what degree might that be “watering down” the gospel?

2.  Declare the gospel!  Find a way to get our generation to understand.

3.    We live in a world where any and everything goes.  There are few that follow Christ but we must continue to spread the Good News.  The message is a true message and has not changed

1) In what areas do non-Christians in our culture stumble over the basic gospel of Christ?

They try to make out like it is a way of putting them in bondage and they cannot have a life by living the gospel of Christ. It is so simple that a child understands it and a older person makes it seem impossible to live.

2) To what degree can we help bridge this gap through careful and creative presentation?

MEN will listen to someone that is anointed of God, and through the foolishness of PREACHING will convict people of their sins.

3) To what degree might that's "watering" down the gospel?

Watering down the gospel will not give a new believeer the full truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.This is a very deceptive way that will led to a false salvation.

4) why can't we escape the tension between culturally relevant communication and changing the essence of the message?

People are watching our lives and the life we live in the must be the same that we live at work and every where we. You must walk our talk. The message is the FOR everyone, no matter the culture are the time of history. Jesus never changes and neither does the gospel.