JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

I think Paul wanted to contrast the realities of the sacrifice involved in following Christ with the unrealistic Corinthian view of Christianity that was comfortable and compromising.  They thought they had all the answers and were to be honored and respected for their rich wisdom and strength.  Fact is, they were blindly prideful.  I think Paul’s desire was to pull their heads out of the clouds back down to earth and call them to humility by embarrassing them about their shameful immaturity.  Obviously, nothing else had worked up to that point.

It certainly humbles me to consider all that he endured as the norm in comparison to the relative ease of my life.  According to God’s wisdom and purposes, He doesn’t put all of us in the same circumstances and stations of life.  So none of us has any right to think ourselves better than any other servant in the Kingdom.  Our willingness to go wherever He leads reflects our spiritual maturity, faith, and humble obedience.  I haven’t been led into ministry that was as difficult as what Paul experienced, but I have been involved in works that were uncomfortable and/or challenging.  It’s all based on love, gratitude, and faith in God’s reliability.

Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take?  TO REMIND THEM THAT HE IS NOT ASKING MORE OF THEM BUT LESS.

What effect did he want it to have on his readers?  TO CONSIDER THEIR WAYS.

What effect does it have on you? CONSIDERATION WHEN PUT IN SIMILAR SITUATIONS.

Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?  MANY TIMES, THE APPLICATION OF MINISTRY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.  I WILL DO WHAT I FEEL IS BEST; IF IT COMES WITH ABUSE; THEN SO BE IT.

1 - Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take?

As apostles and church leaders, Paul is listing these abuses to show true, full commitment to Jesus Christ.

2 - What effect did he want it to have on his readers?

The effect he wanted was to make them realize that being a true Christian meant that suffering would come with whole commitment to Jesus Christ.

3 - What effect does it have on you?

By being in the United States, I have not been put under pressure to deny Jesus.  This means that my faith has not fully been tested to withstand any abuse that will come to all Christians, who stand true to God.

4 - Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?

Sometimes, like I do not want to be a missionary in a different country with all of the different customs and daily routines.

It is a witness to His Church and the world, that we need to count the cost following Christ.  Because, it is going to cost us.

He wanted to let them see just how he had to suffer and what his attitude was toward it each time.

For me, I see pride that needs to be cut down--I need to be a humble servant, willing to acknowledge that everything I am & have is from God, not of myself.

No, not avoid ministry that may lead to abuse of some type, but pray to be in God's will.  I am awed in those missionaries in very hard situations in other countries who have the attitude of serving God whether it leads to death, injury or other forms of persecution.  Pray for our missionaries!!

I believe Paul wanted the Corinthian church congregation to feel remorseful for the way they have been carrying on as Christians. Paul wants his readers to feel shameful about their sins and repent. Christ is the only one who has the right to act better than us, but, instead He became low and gave His life for the sins of the world. Just that alone makes me ask God daily to forgive me of my sins. No matter who you minister to outside of the church, there are going to be some that goes against everything you say and show them in the Bible about Christ our Lord. I try not to avoid ministry just because it comes with abuse. Not everyone is going to believe.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take?

Paul wants the Corinthians to realize it is not all 'cookies and cream' when it comes to proclaiming the gospel. Some people will adamantly reject the gospel, some will ague and try to change the gospel. Paul himself has gone to prison, suffered abuse, and he wants them to know that proclaiming the truth of the gospel is a very hard task but they must remain diligent and not sway like a reed in the wind. He tells them of all his struggles in hopes that his struggles will be an inspiration and an example of what it means to be a true disciple. As disciples we must stick steadfastly to our love and commitment to bring the gospel to others no matter what the cost to us!

What effect did he want it to have on his readers?

He wanted to be an example.

What effect does it have on you?

It gives me hope that I can be an effective disciple.

Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?

I have in the past. I had a circumstance where someone undermined everything and every augment I gave him about God. This person had once been a Christian, then became agnostic, and now is an atheist. It had a profound effect on me for a long while I struggled with my inability to change his mind and heart. I could not be an effective minister. I could not proclaim the truth in a way that would sway his already made up heart. I prayed a long time about this and God led me to this passage in the bible one day and a revelation came with it..

Matthew 10:14(NLT)  If any household or town refuses to welcome you or listen to your message, shake its dust from your feet as you leave.

In this passage I realized that I had given my best to bring this person to salvation. If I wallowed around in the pain I felt at not being effective, then I would be undermining my own faith.  I realized that no matter what the cost ( being rejected) that I must continue ( and not doubt myself, but remain strong in the word)on to the next 'town' shake the dust ( the disappointment) off, and proclaim the good news! Do not let rejection, nor failure, nor even worst things as Paul suffered, torture, or prison, deter your good work in the Lord.

...I struggled with my inability to change his mind and heart. I could not be an effective minister. I could not proclaim the truth in a way that would sway his already made up heart...

Matthew 10:14(NLT)  If any household or town refuses to welcome you or listen to your message, shake its dust from your feet as you leave.

In this passage I realized that I had given my best to bring this person to salvation. If I wallowed around in the pain I felt at not being effective, then I would be undermining my own faith.  I realized that no matter what the cost ( being rejected) that I must continue ( and not doubt myself, but remain strong in the word)on to the next 'town' shake the dust ( the disappointment) off, and proclaim the good news! Do not let rejection, nor failure, nor even worst things as Paul suffered, torture, or prison, deter your good work in the Lord.

It's very difficult to minister to someone so hardened of heart.  But the thing that helps me is knowing that we're not called to transform hearts or produce results, we're called to faithfully and lovingly sow the seed of truth.  This "battle" can never be won with persuasion or arguments because it's a matter of faith.  Understand that the person you describe evidently never truly met Jesus in a personal way, even though he thought he was a Christian. All he had was religion, which always proves to be an empty disappointing failure.  I'd just suggest that you keep praying God will bring about such a face-to-face encounter with Jesus and that this man will be convicted by truth.  Situations like that hurt and grieve us, but try to represent the love of God as best you can - because most people are loved to God rather than debated to Him.  Be encouraged that you're not responsible for anyone else's decision about Christ because you can't make salvation happen, even with all the witnessing you can manage.  Faith is a gift God has made impossible for you to give to anyone else, and conviction/change of heart is a work only the Holy Spirit can accomplish.  God bless you!

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take?

The Corinthian church was arrogant due to their spiritual gifts (v8), having "ascended your throne's and come into your kingdom without including us? And would that it were true and that you did reign so that we might be sharing the kingdom with you!" Paul wrote it "not to shame" them but to warn and counsel them as his beloved children. (v14 ) It was a Father's correction for an immature church who thought they "were all that" and had no need of further instruction.

He wanted to give them a reality check on their true condition. He urged and implored them to be imitators "of me." To see that maturity is revealed in how we bear up under hardship and suffering as he did, not in the the gifts which operated in a comfy worship service where there was no opposition. Some were conceited, arrogant and pretentious, and lacked moral power and excellence of soul (v19,20), and he was encouraging them in strong, sarcastic language to grow up in maturity.

The suffering and persecution I've endured are NOTHING compared to what Paul and other's have suffered, and especially what Jesus suffered for me, but it reminds me that I'm in exquisite company, and have been given the examples to follow in walking in love under immense pressure and rejection, and in remaining faithful to my Lord, no matter what comes my way.

I would prefer to avoid it, as I would any suffering, but have faced it head on a few times, trusting the Lord's purposes in it (Growth, maturity, faith, humility, surrender to His Lordship in all things, character development....) knowing "it may last for a night or a season but joy comes in the morning." Jesus taught me early on that a servant is not above his Master....and that as He suffered, so may I at times.

I think Paul lists the abuses he has had to be under because He wanted to sharply contrast the heart that serves in ministry out of pride/arrogance and self importance versus the heart that serves in ministry for the sheer joy of the Gospel. That heart is willing to suffer in opposition, to be unimportant in social circles, is dedicated to Christ and not people and is often cast aside as so called trash in the world. They serve in humbleness often going unnoticed and with no accolades from mere people.

The effect Paul hoped to have on the people was to wake them up to their true heart condition. To remind them that they were seeking worldly ways to be filled and were straying from the pure Gospel and WHO it was all about! He was hoping to bring them to a more mature faith. One that let go of self importance, arrogance, religion, dependence on people or idolizing people. He was reminding them to let go of everything the world said was important and was calling attention to how he LIVED. He wanted to remind them that God's Kingdom included suffering, humility and devotion to Christ and excluded the pride of life they had fallen into.

The effect it has on me is to continue to guard myself against so many of these same issues we face today in the church. With the help of the Holy Spirit I pray to be reminded daily of what a true calling means and how to live that out in my life and when I fail, as often times I do, I pray to receive grace and to be strengthened and to continue to persevere on a restored Godly course.

Do I avoid ministry that comes with abuse? I used to much more than I do now. I have been praying to know joy in the suffering and I have seen the Holy Spirit prepare me for suffering and guide me through it, but I have had to be committed to really seeking Him daily and to listen carefully to what He says. He will not only warn us of events that may cause suffering, but He will send the right Word for while we are preparing for it. While we are in the midst of it, He will send encouragement  and He will give us a Godly response to live in it. I'm always reminded that it is an honor to suffer as our dearest friend and Savior did and coming out of suffering we find we have benefited so much in it. We have grown to a deeper maturity and have come to identify with Jesus more and that closeness is a true blessing that comes through as sheer joy.

1 Corinthians 4:9-13

Q). Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take?

A). Paul shared his experience with the Corinthians to help them understand what it costs to be fully committed.

#

Q). What effect did he want it to have on his readers?

A). He wanted to shame their arrogance by explaining that being an apostle involved not worldly glory -- but suffering for Christ.

#

Q). What effect does it have on you?

A). It helps me to realize how I often do things from a motive of self-interest rather than serving Christ.

#

Q). Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?

A). It depends on how extreme the abuse is. I seem to have tolerance for only a certain amount of abuse.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) 

Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take? 

Paul’s listing of all the abuse he had to take should speak to our hearts and help us to understand what it costs to be fully committed to Christ. Paul treats their pride with sarcasm, and this not according to his judgment of his readers, but according to their own inflated opinions of themselves – wise, strong, and honoured. Our redemption came at the tremendous cost of Christ’s death on the Cross, and shows us the amazing grace and love expressed by our Heavenly Father in saving sinners like us. In gratitude we should express our willingness to make sacrifices for Him. Since we have been bought at a price we are His, we belong to Him and are His slaves to do His will. However, I think that today this message is watered-down and we have a Christianity without cost preached today. I have read it said that this a ‘cheap grace’ without any regrets or any desire to be delivered from sin or even a denial of the living Word of God. After all this, I’m ashamed to say I do avoid any ministry that comes with abuse. I use the excuse of my age, but in truth this is not a legitimate excuse. 

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take? What effect did he want it to have on his readers? What effect does it have on you? Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse? 

question 4.3

In his reports from Chloe’s people Paul hears of the pride, haughtiness, self-satisfaction and their feeling of superiority over their logic obtained from cynics and stoics.   This is a list of suffering which Paul shared frequently in his epistles. (2 Cor. 4:7-12; 6:4-5; 11:23-29; 12:10) Paul here speaks in irony as he holds up the Corinthians as wise, strong, held in honor whereas the apostles are fools weak and held in disrepute. (Richard Hayes, 1 Corinthians Interpretation, 
A Bible Commentary, Kindle Edition, 72)   The irony is so strong, it is a technique used by Paul again and again in his writings to get his hearers to toe the line, to make them see that Paul is right in his stand.  The list of abuses follows this irony as Paul attempts to establish that he and the apostles have endured for being the slaves of Christ.  Paul uses a roman victory parade to illustrate in a very strong way that the apostles suffer for Christ.  Paul’s view of Christian life agrees with Isaiah’s position of the suffering servant of Isaiah 53.   At the end of the roman parade is a column of captives waling in defeat with hands and feet chained showing their captivity and their submission to the Romans.  For Paul the Corinthians in their blatant pride were like the General of the Triumph, Paul, Apollos and the apostles were the little group of captives. The irony is that the little group of apostles are in possession of victory with Christ and the Corinthians the pride of a victory that immediately begins to fade in the light of the irony of Paul.

As one reads as explained by Dr. Ralph, it makes one feel ashamed of our ‘easy’ Christianity of North America and are we willing to walk in the footsteps of Paul, Apollos and the Apostles.

I am afraid I avoid ministry period, I am afraid.

Paul wants the Corinthians to realize it is not all 'cookies and cream' when it comes to proclaiming the gospel. Some people will adamantly reject the gospel, some will ague and try to change the gospel. Paul himself has gone to prison, suffered abuse, and he wants them to know that proclaiming the truth of the gospel is a very hard task but they must remain diligent and not sway like a reed in the wind. He tells them of all his struggles in hopes that his struggles will be an inspiration and an example of what it means to be a true disciple. As disciples we must stick steadfastly to our love and commitment to bring the gospel to others no matter what the cost to us!

Paul holds stronly to the concept of the suffering servant so we can see this principle of suffering at work here. Well said!  wy

He wanted to be an example.

It gives me hope that I can be an effective disciple.

I have in the past. I had a circumstance where someone undermined everything and every augment I gave him about God. This person had once been a Christian, then became agnostic, and now is an atheist. It had a profound effect on me for a long while I struggled with my inability to change his mind and heart. I could not be an effective minister. I could not proclaim the truth in a way that would sway his already made up heart. I prayed a long time about this and God led me to this passage in the bible one day and a revelation came with it..

I think Paul wanted to contrast the realities of the sacrifice involved in following Christ with the unrealistic Corinthian view of Christianity that was comfortable and compromising. 

I feel that the Corinthians were a young church and did not have the guidance of the scriptures. Where would we be without the guidance of the scriptures?

They thought they had all the answers and were to be honored and respected for their rich wisdom and strength.  Fact is, they were blindly prideful.  I think Paul’s desire was to pull their heads out of the clouds back down to earth and call them to humility by embarrassing them about their shameful immaturity.  Obviously, nothing else had worked up to that point.

It certainly humbles me to consider all that he endured as the norm in comparison to the relative ease of my life.  According to God’s wisdom and purposes, He doesn’t put all of us in the same circumstances and stations of life.  So none of us has any right to think ourselves better than any other servant in the Kingdom.  Our willingness to go wherever He leads reflects our spiritual maturity, faith, and humble obedience.  I haven’t been led into ministry that was as difficult as what Paul experienced, but I have been involved in works that were uncomfortable and/or challenging.  It’s all based on love, gratitude, and faith in God’s reliability.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take? What effect did he want it to have on his readers? What effect does it have on you? Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?

The Corinthians seem to boasting about their gifts they have received, Paul is trying to convey to them that through great suffering the apostles have received, they should humble themselves, they have received these gifts freely and at this this time have not suffered for their belief in Christ.

Paul was telling them of the sufferings he had received for the cause of Christ, hoping they would appreciate him for bring the message of the gospel to them.

The effect on me for the suffering of the message of the gospel is indeed a total commitment to Christ. I admire those that have suffered for our salvation.

I do not avoid the abuse that comes with the ministry of Christ. I only fear that I will not be capable of delivering the message with knowledge and power of the Holy Spirit.        

WinstonY, on 19 March 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

I think Paul wanted to contrast the realities of the sacrifice involved in following Christ with the unrealistic Corinthian view of Christianity that was comfortable and compromising. 

I feel that the Corinthians were a young church and did not have the guidance of the scriptures. Where would we be without the guidance of the scriptures?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, of course that the Corinthians didn't have the NT scriptures for guidance like we do.  But they did have the direct teaching of Paul!  In answering Pastor Ralph's question of "why do you think..." my thoughts are shaped by a couple of things. 

First, Paul had established the church about 5-6 years earlier, so they'd had some time to spiritually grow and mature. They hadn't been left high and dry without being "watered" with guidance and leadership.  But they were fragmented and divided by spiritually immature reliance on human wisdom, and Paul called them babies as a rebuke of their carnal state.

Then, Paul was very pointed and somewhat harsh in his admonishments, which I just don't think he would be with young believers who didn't yet know any better.  He reminded them that he'd already written to them about some of the problems that persisted and was disappointed, to say the least, that the church continued to tolerate them.  It certainly seems to me that he was now writing to people who were refusing to give heed. 

WinstonY, on 19 March 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, of course that the Corinthians didn't have the NT scriptures for guidance like we do.  But they did have the direct teaching of Paul! 

But Paul wasn"t there with them at the time. They needed his direct and firm guidance in order to live as Paul wished.

In answering Pastor Ralph's question of "why do you think..." my thoughts are shaped by a couple of things. 

First, Paul had established the church about 5-6 years earlier, so they'd had some time to spiritually grow and mature. They hadn't been left high and dry without being "watered" with guidance and leadership.  But they were fragmented and divided by spiritually immature reliance on human wisdom, and Paul called them babies as a rebuke of their carnal state. Yes they were babies and babies are immature. 

Then, Paul was very pointed and somewhat harsh in his admonishments, which I just don't think he would be with young believers who didn't yet know any better.  Paul could be harsh and caustic.

He reminded them that he'd already written to them about some of the problems that persisted and was disappointed, to say the least, that the church continued to tolerate them.  It certainly seems to me that he was now writing to people who were refusing to give heed.  Yes, they continued but was it not to do with their love of Greek wisdom.  WinstonY

• 2 weeks later...

Some members of the church in Corinth had spiritual illusions of grandeur and were not in touch with what it meant to be a Christian.  They felt that as Christians they had arrived.  Paul was giving them a taste of reality in what it meant to live out the gospel and be a follower of Christ in a hostile world.  Paul clued them in that he had not arrived and was still spiritually developing. 

Throughout my years of pastoring and serving as a mens' minster I have found that people so easily think themselves more spiritually mature and Christ like than they really are.  In fact, in most cases people are not in reality in the same ball park as they think they are regarding their spiritual development.  Most are minimalist who think they have been to the mountain top and their is nothing left to do in their lives for spiritual growth and enlightenment.

Invariably ministering to others eventually involves abuse by those ministered to.  It comes with the mission and calling and is part of human behavior and sin.  You cannot avoid it and serve God.  I just pray through things and thank God for the opportunity to serve. 

I think that the reason that Paul listed the abuse he has taken is to show the people that it isn’t going to be easy being a Christian. It isn’t all honey and cream and that things won’t work out the way that you think that they should. The effect that he had on the readers was that they would stop bragging and begin to learn more about Jesus.

The effect it has no me is that it doesn’t matter how much I go through, I will probably never go through as much a Paul did. The reason that I avoid ministry that comes with abuse is that I don’t like to be abused. But I am learning to get out of my box and face reality of this world.

Paul listed the abuses he had to take to show the Corinthian church that being a servant of God could involve suffering and abuse which has to be endured with patience.

He wanted his reader to be like-minded when they experience abuse and hardship.

I have just realised that I do not have to answer back to criticism and injustice meted on me but to humbly depend on God's grace to cope and endure.

I can not remember such experience.

• 1 month later...

Paul lists his abuse to let us know we are all strugglers. I believe it brings county in the feelings of the believers of the church members.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 4:9-13) Why do you think Paul lists the abuse he has to take? What effect did he want it to have on his readers?  What effect does it have on you?  Do you avoid ministry that comes with abuse?

Paul may have been thinking about the Romans parading captured enemy soldiers through the town before execution. Sometimes he uses metaphors to lead the reader to the fact that there are ills and abuses to believers as much as to soldiers against the current empire but that the LORD calls us to serve Him through extreme faith and confidence in Him and His protection of us…Often we approach situations hesitantly out of fear or what I like to say lack of confidence/faith that can sustain us no matter what. He was preparing the Corinthians for being able to stand firm in the midst of abuse, opposition, ridicule for their faith.  Even though Paul used words like foolishness, weakness, suffering, his stance was that the Corinthians needed to let these situations be established as the truth of their faith and not allow the gospel to be damaged.

It is the same today as the devil is alive and active and posing opposition, threats, etc in our way and we need to remain firm in our faith, because when we are firm in the name of the LORD, we can remain effective even under opposition.

• 5 months later...

I think Paul lists the abuse he has to take to encourage the church.  After listing these perils Paul hoped that his readers would understand what it costs to be fully committed to the gospel.  Indeed, Paul's experience is and encouragement for me as I have not had any way near his experience and if he trust God to strengthen him and take him through and come out victorious; so too can I.  I will continue to trust God through every persecution and hardship.  I do avoid ministry that comes with abuse.  Mostly from within.

• 5 months later...

I believe that Paul listed the abuse to show people that he is willing and does suffer for Christ on a daily basis. he wants the readers to know that he is so firm in his faith that his worldly discomfort does not stop him. I find that I take comfort in his words. He realized that life is tough and I can be comforted in the fact that I am not suffering alone. I have not walked away from a challenge. However, I find myself shying away from my home church. I feel that the devil has started to rest there.