JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians – that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission – to a neighbor or across the world – would you accept? Why or why not?

• 1 month later...

Paul trusted Timothy’s faithfulness to the Lord and the ministry.  He loved that young man dearly, and was confident that Timothy understood the sacrificial life of a Christ-follower that he observed in Paul.  Paul knew Timothy was consistent in attempting to follow that example in his own life.  I’m sure he was confident of the spiritual wisdom, strength, and maturity in Timothy that were necessary for ministry in the face of ridicule, contempt, and abusive treatment.

I’d like to think I’d be as willing as Timothy to take on a “sensitive mission” if God sent me. I’m loving the more mature stage of life I’m in, as I have a lot more boldness than in my younger years.  That comes from the many experiences of seeing God’s faithfulness and provision over time.  It’s so true that whatever He calls us to, He equips and provides for.

What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians -- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? TIMOTHY HAD BEEN  TESTED:  "For this reason I am sending to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord. He will remind you of my way of life in Christ Jesus, which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church." (4:17)

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission -- to a neighbor or across the world -- would you accept? I  HAVE  AND WOULD

Why or why not? WHEN HE GIVES US A MISSION; IT USUALLY FEELS LIKE IT IS OUR IDEA THOUGH PERILOUS. SATAN WILL ATTEMPT TO REMIND YOU OF THE PERILS; GOD REMINDS YOU THROUGH THE PEACE OF IT OF THE PLEASURES.

Paul knew Timothy was faithful and reliable and able to be a witness.

I would hope to be so close to God to be able to recognize when & where He was sending me and to be ready and willing.

I know I would have the peace of God's call and not worry about any persecution that might come my way because of my faithfulness. 

One thing, however, I would not count it truly persecution if I had behaved badly--proudly--unloving--deserving of that "persecution."

1 - What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians --- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse?

Paul called Timothy his son, whom he loved, and who is faithful in the Lord.  In doing this, Timothy knew what needed to be said to the church in Corinth and would be able to withstand any abuse or disrespect.

2 - If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission --- to a neighbor or across the world --- would you accept?

Yes!

3 - Why or why not?

When God calls us to do a mission, He provides all that we need to accomplish the mission.

Timothy is faithful in his walk with the Lord, and Paul loves him like a son. Also, Timothy's task was to reinforce the Corinthians concerning how Paul lived his life for Christ and his teachings regarding Christ and His church. Accepting a task that God gives you can be very difficult to handle, such as, traveling the world preaching the gospel, and of course there are a lot of people that hate Christians.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) 

What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians - that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? 

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission - to a neighbour or across the world - would you accept? 

Why or why not? 

Paul had personally trained Timothy and he knew him as a reliable and faithful servant of God. He knew that Timothy would carry on with what Paul had taught them. Paul had given them a thorough grounding in the Word of God and he knew Timothy would enforce the truths they had been taught. If called to fulfill a sensitive mission I’m sure I would accept. The reason being that I know God would fully equip me with all that is needed to accomplish that mission successfully. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians – that might have involved some disrespect and abuse?

We have all heard the old adage " Actions speak louder than words". Timothy's action have proven him to be a good and faithful servant. Paul trust, and loves Timothy. Trust is something which is earned, it is not given freely.

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission – to a neighbor or across the world – would you accept? Why or why not?

YES, I'd like to think that I would. However, If He called me right now, today, for a great mission, I think I would be a bit like Moses, " The Reluctant Leader". I'd have to muster up all the strengths provided by the Holy Spirit, and trust that God will provide what I need to accomplish His mission. As Moses did before he led God's people out of captivity, I might need a little 'convincing' that I can do it, and that God will provide all I need to accomplish His will! I believe God has a plan for me and in the 'right'; time, His time it will be revealed. And,I will be ready, because the Holy Spirit is preparing me for any mission God will give me.!!!

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians – that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission – to a neighbor or across the world – would you accept? Why or why not?

Question 4.4

Timothy has qualitites that endear him to Paul.  He is called Paul’s son so we get the impression that Paul loves him dearly , that he has worked diligently and faithfully for Paul all these years. He had travelled with Paul on the second missionary journey and Paul knows and trusts Timothy well enough that he recommends him as an example, a mentor for the Corinthians.  The Corinthians were pagans before Paul, they had no knowledge or tradition of the Scriptures as we do to give examples and guidance as they attempt to live their lives as Christians.  In verse 16 Paul writes “I urge you to imitate me”.  This was not an ego thing for immediately he thinks of Timothy, a fine example for the people of Corinthians.  He is faithful and will be able to remind them of now Paul has told them to live their lives as Christians

Would I accept a mission, I would hope so But I am weak of heart.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians – that might have involved some disrespect and abuse?

Paul saw in Timothy that he was "an imitator" of Paul. He would "be" Paul, in his absence...Paul's ambassador who would implement the very principles and message of Paul and would be an emissary who relied on the Holy Spirit to lead him  through the difficulties. 

In the past,Timothy had been timid to the point of having stomach ailments due to fear and intimidation, and Paul saw that this "furnace" of trial would also be used to strengthen and "toughen up" his weaknesses.

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission – to a neighbor or across the world – would you accept?

I believe I would...I've accepted one of those at the moment...a trial by fire, so to speak, filled with the pit falls of discomfort, persecution, challenges, tears, intense pressure, disunity....definitely God's call to fulfill, and I'm leaning on Him every moment for wisdom, courage, forgiveness, His love to flow, His comfort and courage for me, and for the outcome He desires and promises to achieve.

Why? or why not?

In my early walk when He asked me to do some difficult things, I balked, due to the same issues which plagued Timothy. I learned that my sadness and regret over refusing the Lord was greater than the fears of accepting future challenges, and by His grace, have not refused to obey since then.

Paul saw in Timothy that he was "an imitator" of Paul. He would "be" Paul, in his absence...Paul's ambassador who would implement the very principles and message of Paul and would be an emissary who relied on the Holy Spirit to lead him  through the difficulties. 

In the past,Timothy had been timid to the point of having stomach ailments due to fearand intimidation, and Paul saw that this "furnace" of trial would also be used to strenthen and "toughen up" his weaknesses.

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission – to a neighbor or across the world – would you accept?

I believe I would...I've accepted one of those at the moment...a trial by fire, so to speak, filled with the pit falls of discomfort, persecution, challenges, tears, intense pressure, disunity....definitely God's call to fulfill, and I'm leaning on Him every moment for wisdom, courage, forgiveness, His love to flow, His comfort and courage for me, and for the outcome He desires and promises to achieve.

Why? or why not?

In my early walk when He asked me to do some difficult things, I balked, due to the same issues which plagued Timothy. I learned that my sadness and regret over refusing the Lord was greater than the fears of accepting future challenges, and by His grace, have not refused to obey since then.

Timothy was both reliable and faithful and also knew Paul personally, so he could give first hand account in defense of Paul, who lived according to Christ Jesus. Timothy was also a son in the faith to Paul. He would have been an imitator to all that Paul taught or lived out in his life, so he would be a good, faithful, tried, representative for Paul (And Christ). 

As for the abuses, I believe Timothy had matured to face the abuses that would come with this mission. He is described as "being faithful to the Lord." Timothy had learned in the face of opposition how not to waver under pressure of men but to live by truth.

I know I have accepted when God has asked me to fulfill a sensitive mission, even though I felt inadequate to do that. I have always found that the Holy Spirit works through me, so I can accept these missions because it's not really MY ability or plan that is fulfilling the purpose! I have learned to not be so afraid, because I have seen God uphold me in times of adversity and/or defend me when I have stood for what is right.

The thought that has really resonated through me reading this lesson is that like Timothy being a representative for Paul, God is sending us out out on these missions as HIS representative. We first must establish that we are faithful and tried and then understand that we are imitators of Christ who sent us and that we are representing to others all that we know Him to be and what He lived. How often we set out with our own agendas and in our own power and are not representatives of who CHRIST is, what He has done and about His good and loving character! That said, how can we then not expect suffering or persecution and abuses in it sometimes too! We are representatives who identify with Christ!

1 Corinthians 4:17

Q). What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians -- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse?

A). Timothy has proved himself reliable and faithful. "For this reason I am sending to you Timothy, my son whom I love, who is faithful in the Lord..." (1 Corinthians 4:17). 

"Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful." (1 Corinthians 4:2)

#

Q). If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission -- to a neighbor or across the world -- would you accept? Why or why not? 

A). I would probably be hesitant at first. I would ultimately accept the call because I am convinced that if He calls me, He will equip me to start and complete the mission if it be in His will.

Timothy has established himself as a the and dedicated follower of Paul and his teachings. he knows the scripture well and can enforce it. Paul tells them timothy is like a son to him and they should respect his ministry.

If the Lord were to call me to fulfill a sensitive mission, first I would doubt that He would call on someone like me. I would most likely accept it if my spouses health was good. To stay in the community with a mission would be easier, being able to care for my spouse and the grandchildren at the same time, which I feel is a mission and a task in it self.    

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians -- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission -- to a neighbor or across the world -- would you accept? Why or why not? 

Timothy was described as loved and faithful and thus could be trusted to be sent with the special assignment.

I pray for the grace of God to accept such assignment. I have not been keen in going out and pray for God to forgive me and equip me with the power of the Holy Spirit to go wherever he sends me.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 4:17) What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians -- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse? If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission -- to a neighbor or across the world -- would you accept? Why or why not?

In the eyes of Paul, who loved Timothy, he was faithful to the LORD and lived the kind of life similar to Paul and in essence, he trusted Timothy with sharing the truth of the gospel, as did Paul.  This made Paul feel that Timothy to handle the sensitivties of the mission field as he touched others with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have accepted the calling of God on my life.  Eveb though that calling has not led me to foreign countries, He has led me into new situations in which I have started new Bible classes and small group ministries and other like venues where I am able to stand firm in my faith about the matchless Word of God and "the" truth" of His gospel.

• 5 months later...

Paul saw in Timothy one who was faithful in service to God and to Paul as his elder.  I pray that I faithfully complete all the assignments that God calls me to and that I do them with excellence whether its to a neighbor  or across the world; I want to faithfully serve my Father.

• 5 months later...

Timothy is faithful to Jesus and God. He has the love of God in his heart and soul. He has been very reliable and Timothy is the type of person that will stay very faithful to God even when faced with abuse.

I would actually go wherever God want to send me. I know that he would give me every thing that I would need to go. He would make sure that I would not have any concerns about going. My kids would be taken care of and my animals would be taken care of for my doing what God wants me to do.

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2014 at 3:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul see’s many qualities in Timothy that he has.  Paul begs them to be like him, he calls Timothy his son he loves him so much.  Timothy was faithful in the Lord as Paul was.  Paul hopes that by sending them Timothy it will bring a remembrance of Paul’s ways in Christ.  Yes, I would accept it because God knows what He is doing and He doesn’t send people unless they are equipped with everything necessary to achieve His plans.

• 3 years later...

(1 Corinthians 4:17)

What qualities about Timothy encouraged Paul to send him on a sensitive mission to the Corinthians -- that might have involved some disrespect and abuse?

If God were to call you to fulfill a sensitive mission -- to a neighbor or across the world -- would you accept?

Why or why not?

Timothy was faithful in imitating Paul. Who was an imitator of Christ. So Timothy too, was actually imitating Christ. By sending Timothy, Paul was hoping to jolt their memories as to how to live for Christ or how to live a Christlike life. 

I pray for help and mercy that I would bow to His direction and not decline His will and purpose for me. 

HELP ME DEAR LORD AND SAVIOUR 

• 1 year later...

Paul loved Timothy and, I presume, Timothy faithfully imitated his mentor Paul. Wasn't Timothy the man with the ulcers (?) for which Paul recommended he drink a bit of wine to relax? If so, it's amazing that Timothy has strengthened inwardly to the point where Paul can send him on a stressful mission. 

I pray to be sent on a mission though I've been in a holding pattern for several years. There's a wonderful phrase that explains how God equips us for missions -- God's callings are God's enablings. This means that whatever He calls us to do, He gives us the strength and ability to accomplish it.  I believe this. So Yes YES YES I want to be called to fulfill a sensitive mission. Eagerly so. I'll go wherever He sends me, (preferably not to a neighbor!)

This does bring to mind a related topic which is this: Can we ask God to send us on a particular mission that we feel particularly suited for or at least interested in, or must we wait patiently and passively for our number to be called?