JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Proclaiming Christ's Death

• 2 months later...

Just as participation in Passover Seder was a perpetual declaration of God’s promise of redemption to Israel, participation in the Lord’s Supper is a perpetual declaration of the achievement of ultimate liberation for all mankind through the sacrifice of Christ’s body and blood for the eternal atonement of our sins.  It is a visible and public pronouncement of our one and only source of forgiveness, cleansing, and acceptance into God’s kingdom.  This proclamation is a moving depiction to the unsaved of how/why Christ died for their sins. It is also a statement made to the Church, as a reminder of the core truth of the gospel.  And as a time of self-examination, it’s a renewed humbling statement we each individually make that we’ve been bought like a slave redeemed from bondage and now we willingly continue to follow Christ as our Savior and Lord.

If we are not careful to maintain/guard the pure, sound doctrine of this central theme, we’ll begin to inject human thought, reason, analysis, emotions, desires, and agendas into what we believe.  This can only create distortion and perversion that leads us and others into all kinds of deception and false teaching.  We’ll end up looking like some of today’s big TV churches that refuse to preach the cross or the blood because they "don't want to offend anyone".  We can’t afford to modify the key foundational premise of Christianity, the blood of Christ.  It is the only sacrifice that can wash our sins away and transform our hearts, and it’s the price paid that gains our future glory!

• 3 weeks later...

In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? "For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." (11:26)

To whom is the proclamation made? The Lord's Supper is an enacted proclamation of Christ's death and atonement for our sins.

Why is this important? We can expect to partake of the Lord's Supper up until the time of Christ's return.

What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?  The time of Christ's return.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord’s Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme? 

Every time we partake of the Lord's Supper, we hear a clear explanation of Jesus' death for our sins. This is in the form of a proclamation. The words of the covenant are read out and we confirm our belief in them by consuming the bread and the wine. When we eat the bread and drink the wine the bread and the wine become part of the cells of our body. In the same fashion as we take the bread we are taking the broken body of Jesus and the shed blood of Jesus and making these part of our spiritual being. we have just partaken of the reestablishment of the new covenant in the blood of Christ and this process makes use legal partners in the new covenant where Jesus the Lord is Risen. yes He has risen indeed.

The proclamation is made to everyone. Firstly it is made to us. It  is made to us first for it is a re-declaration  of our faith and love in Christ and that our gift of eternal life is given by the grace of God through his son Jesus. Secondly the proclamation is made to those around us who also par take of the sacrament. We are doing this as a community. Together we move forward in the new covenant confident in our faith and trust in Jesus. Thirdly it is made to the church. It is important to let the church of God know that we are one in body, mind and spirit when it comes to the gift of the New Covenant. And finally the partaking of the Lord's supper is a proclamation to the world. A proclamation that we who participate in the last Supper of Jesus are a holy group, set apart for the service of the Lord. we want the world to know that we are a church that serves that we declare "For me and my family (church) we will serve the Lord" . Praise the Lord, Jesus is risen. Jesus us risen indeed

For the church this is the only theme. Otherwise we have no church.

It proclaims Christ's death on the cross, even to unbelievers who might be present.

Believers and unbelievers alike.

It shows a unity among believers--showing we all stand on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ, His death, HIs burial & His resurrection.

Disunity. A shattered proclamation.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord’s Supper a proclamation?

Each time we eat the bread and drink the cup of the Lord we are celebrating, signifying and proclaiming the fact of the Lord's death until He comes again.

To whom is the proclamation made?

To whomever is partaking of Communion, and to whomever is present whether or not they are believers in Christ.

Why is this important?

The cross....the death and resurrection of our Lord and His indwelling Holy Spirit in believers is the foundation of our faith. Without His shed blood and broken body, death, burial and resurrection, we are lost in our sins, and with no hope of salvation or eternal life!

What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

The Church is no longer the church...it is a religious affiliation, or a cult requiring works of the flesh in order to try to attain Heaven. A deception that Jesus is a byword or as in some cults: a prophet, a teacher, a good man.....but not God, the second person of the Trinity, and the ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER.

1 Corinthians 11:26

Q). In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation?

A). Every time we partake of the Lord's supper, we proclaim His death for our sins: "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come." (1 Corinthians 11:26)

#

Q). To whom is the proclamation made?

A). The proclamation is made to all who participate in and to those who witness the sacrament of the Lord's supper.

#

Q). Why is this important?

A). It is important because Jesus commanded the disciples to do this in remembrance of His new covenant. The Lord's supper is an enacted proclamation of Christ's death and atonement for our sins.

#

Q). What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

A). When the proclamation shifts to a different theme (other than His death for our sins) the church is not receiving the true covenant.

Every time we partake of the Lord's supper we proclaim the death of Jesus and we proclaim our faith in His sacrifice as our salvation. We proclaim Jesus is the awaited Messiah sent from God who died for our sins.

This proclamation is made to God, to each other and to any who may be present that are unbelievers.

To God, because we remember our covenant with Him.

To each other to express our faith and the unity we have in and through Jesus.

To others as a testimony of our faith.

This is important first, because Jesus asked us to do so to remember Him. We are reminded of the price He paid to redeem our souls and to give thanks to God for salvation. It is also important as a church body to remember we are united in Christ, all as a part of the Body of Christ. In Him we are one and He is one with us. It is important also, that our testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is lived out for others to see. When we partake of communion, it is a visible testimony of what we believe and that we honor WHO we believe! It speaks of Christ, His sacrifice and our atonement.

When a proclamation shifts to differing themes in a church, the church looses blessing and looses sight of their covenant. I see this happening more and more in U.S. churches. Themes can become more important in the church and the Gospel is left behind. Some themes I've seen become more important are the "vision" of the church or "religious doctrines" or being "seeker sensitive" as well as "various ministries" or even "financial gain". These aren't bad in and of themselves, but when Jesus is left out, then the very foundation of the church is removed and as with any building that has the cornerstone removed, the building will start to shift and crumble. There are so many churches with the cart before the horse. They are lacking in foundation but doing a lot of "stuff" for God. First and foremost is JESUS. We can't say to live is Christ if He's out of the church, not even remembered!

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) 

In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? 

To whom is the proclamation made? 

Why is this important? 

What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

It is a statement we make to the whole world that we are not ashamed of our Lord and Saviour or of His blood, and at the same time we announce that we belong to Him and are obedient to Him. It is important to us as it reminds us that we are sinners saved by grace and we look forward to the Second Coming of Christ. When we partake of the Lord’s Supper we come in humble gratitude remembering the Cross and join in the fellowship of believers united with Christ. There can be no other true central theme but the proclamation of Christ’s death and atonement for our sins. If not, it is a false doctrine and would be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of our Lord. 

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation, and to whom is the proclamation made? 

Partaking of The Lord's Supper is a way for the believer to proclaim the Lord's death, atonement for sin, and to proclaim, He is coming back again.

However, when I partake of the Lord's Supper, I am often "REMINDED" of the “Jewish Proposal of Marriage”, the family gathers around the table, they are ready to sit and dine together, the table has been set, and on the table, a glass of wine has been placed before her, the proposal of marriage has been given, now the family eagerly wait to see, will she except the proposal - will  she take and "DRINK" from the glass of wine that he set before her, and when she does lift up the cup, and she does drink of the wine, she gives to him her oath, she pledges to be his bride, it is then that the Shofar is sounded, as she is welcomed into the family.

Therefore, when I drink of the cup that He has set before me, I am proclaiming to the world, but most of all to my Bridegroom, I am betrothed to Him, and I as I partake of the bread, I am proclaiming my love for Him, it is because I do not know when He is coming back that I do this often, it is in that “REMEMBRANCE” that I am reminded of my pledge to him, that I make myself ready, as I anxiously look for his appearing.

The Lord’s Supper for me is a time of great “JOY” and “CELEBRATION”.

By participating in the Lord's Supper, a Christian is renewing his conscience by confessing sin and also declaring or showing the unbeliever that this time is special and personal.  It has nothing to do with how much bread or juice, but of the remembrance of Jesus willing to die for our sins.  It is meaningless to any one else.

To whom is this proclamation made?

It is made to the unbeliever, who does not understand what good it does.  To them, it is just taking some bread and wine.  It is to instill in them the desire to want to understand why we talk so much about "Blood".

Why is this important?

An unbeliever must believe that he is a sinner and in need of cleansing.  Then to understand that the blood of Jesus will clean all sin from their soul.

What happens to the church when it's proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

The whole idea of being a Christian is centered on Jesus Christ and what He has done for us.  If you take out Jesus' body and blood, there is nothing left that has any meaning.  It will no longer be "Christian" if it does not proclaim the Lord's Supper!

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord’s Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?

The Lords supper is a proclamation of the Lord's death, resurrection and return to earth to receive His saints. We celebrate this keeping His institution of gathering together and breaking of bread and drinking the cup in remembrance of His death for the sins of the world.

This proclamation is made to we believers and to non believers, who may not partake, but gain understanding into what the Lords death means to us.

This is in important because if we did not celebrate the institution the Lord set up then His remembrance would only become historical and His death of no importance and for sure we would still be guilty of our sins with no forgiveness.

If the church's central proclamation shifts to a different theme, then we lose our ability to gather and celebrate the institution He set up for us. His death and resurrection for our sin's becomes second to the theme of the church. This would be a prime target for Satan to inject into the church, losing souls for Christ.    

We are proclaiming the Lord’s death to all that are in the congregation at the time that we perform the Lord’s Supper. It is always important to bring up things that happened in the past so that we don’t repeat those things. If the church would shift proclamation then in time it would be forgotten and we would fall into the same sins as those that are not Christians.

In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made?

It is a public announcement to all in the congregation, to both believers and  unbelievers that by celebrating the Lord's Supper we are acknowledging the Lord's death, resurrection, the forgiveness of sins,The new covenant and Christ's return. 

Why is this important?

To be a remembrance, a time of recall, a time to examine our relationship and walk with God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.

The church loses its focus on Christ, the very foundation stone on which it is built. It leads to disunity and to factious spirits.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord’s Supper a proclamation?

Partaking in the Lord's Supper is an outward show of our belief in Christ and His death and resurrection.

To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important?

To anyone who witnesses it. In this way we remind ourselves of Jesus' sacrificial death and we show unbelievers that we are under God's new covenant.

To base a belief system on anything other than Christ and Him crucified will skew the whole focus of our religion.

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the Lord's Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme

The Lord's Supper is a proclamation because whenever we partake in the Holy Communion, we hear from the Pastor, the public message and explanation of the reason of the shedding of the Lord's blood and his death for us.

This is important because it reminds of this significant event and also preaches to none believers when present.

1 Corinthians 11:26:  The Lord's Supper proclaims and explains why Jesus died on the cross for the atonement of human sin to both believers and non-believers alike. The central message of the Church is the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the redemption of the human race -- especially for those who believe in Jesus Christ.  To shift this message from the death and resurrection and its purpose -- the gospel -- is to turn the message in something other than the gospel that Paul preached..

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26) In what way is the LORD’s Supper a proclamation?  To whom is the proclamation made?  Why is this important?  What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?  http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1362-q3-proclaiming-christs-death/

The LORD’s Supper “is” a proclamation, first, because verse 26 states it is such, and second, because we are sharing publicly that our faith is in Jesus and His atoning death for our sins and freedom into eternal life because of His grace/gift in that we believe in and worship Him.

The proclamation is made twofold in that we are praising God for what He did for us in the life and death of Jesus Christ and also a statement to non-believers about how the remembrance on a regular basis of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and His resurrection coupled with our regular participation in the LORD’s Supper and the subsequent eternal life they can obtain. 

This is the only central theme that can be available as the promise of God is central to eternal life.

• 1 month later...

In what way is the Lord’s Supper a proclamation? To whom is the proclamation made? Why is this important? What happens to the church when its proclamation shifts to a different central theme?  

• Every time we partake of the Lord's Supper, we hear a clear explanation of Jesus' death for our sins.
  • Proclamation is made to the unbelievers.
  • So unbelievers can gain understanding into what Christ's death means for them.
  • If proclamation shifts to a different central theme, the church will no longer have anything to remember Christ.  The whole idea of the Lord's Supper is to remember what Christ did for us.

• 11 months later...

When we partake in the Lord's Supper we are proclaiming that we believe and remember that Christ gave up his life for us and our salvation. This proclamation is directed heavenly to God and Jesus. We are reaffirming our beliefs and our faith. We are talking directly to God and Jesus.  We are praying to them When we take God and Jesus out of our worship, we are creating a chaotic environment. We are risking the survival of a congregation. We are turning to a more corporate church. We risk turning to a  materialistically, worldly and godless places where people gather.

• 6 years later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 11:26)

To whom is the proclamation made?  To all present

Why is this important?  It is important because one can so easily fall into the pattern of grouping the "Haves" and the "Have Nots".

The proclamation is showing that in Christ we are one. We all partake in what Christ did for us. In His death we are one. There is no longer a difference.

When the theme is changed we have segregation between the members. 

• 1 year later...

The eucharist is a private ceremony that binds me to God. So, does the word "proclamation" suggest that the ceremony may also have a public function, that the eucharist is a tool for evangelism?

Do seculars hear the gospel in the eucharistic ceremony? I hope so -- the Spirit can quicken just about anything, after all. I can recall, however, in my pre-christian days, thinking that the eucharist was a spooky, ancient ritual that reminded me of Druids.

I still believe the proclamation is from each Christian to God. I'm not even sure it has a binding function within the church body. Each Christian alone takes the eucharist, confesses sins and approaches God in this ceremony of forgiveness that reminds us that God forgives sins ... individual sins.

Although there is corporate sin in the Old Testament, in the New Testament, believers stand before God alone; there are no "church" sins. A church cannot sin. People in a church sin. So the eucharist, as a ceremony of forgiveness, must be simultaneous and parallel proclamations by individuals within the body.